"We Gave Away A Decade Worth of Talent for AD"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
AD23 wrote:
What if we didn't do the trade and waited a decade plus for a ring?

How quickly you forget it took good 12 yrs from 1988 to 2000 to win a ring.

That's true, but we were competitive in a lot of those years. We made the Finals twice, the WC finals once, and the second round four times. We missed the playoffs once. Some people will say that anything other than a title is a failure, but a lot of those people were losing their minds when we missed the playoffs for six years.

This is what worries me. It's not that we might not win a title for 10 years, but that we might be pretty poor for a number of years to come. As I've been saying for a long time, we may look back on the Lebron era and the bubble title and just shrug.

Hopefully, Pelinka will find a way to avoid the worst-case scenario. We'll see.

This is on point.

Let's hope Pelinka turns this around next year. He seems like he is going with what he feels and not the Lebron route. I liked that he talked about now AND the future of the Lakers after the trade deadline; reason they stayed pat. It seems the future is some thing they weren't really focused on, but the vision shifted. It seems Rob is learning, but we'll see. I guess we will see with this coaching hire, for starters.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Do ya'' think (I do) that the Bron-AD still good enough to be a contender if healthy? Than have to go all in and flip Russ

Maybe a contender for the conference finals but not a title team. Unless they have a month or more of rest before the playoffs.

Looking at this season, contender for the conference finals is a contender for the chip. Would you burn a 1st to upgrade Westbrook? I think Pelinka/Jeannie would since he's still in go for it mode
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think the AD move in theory was defensible, though we overpaid by IMO one player (Hart) and likely one draft swap. That instantly led to a title.

I think where we went off track is then trading off our pieces for Russ, and not re-signing AC. If we have those pieces, we are still in the playoffs IMO. Whether it's Rob, or Jeanie wanting 3 "superstars," that was a flawed approach that cost us so many pieces, and will take likely another future 1st to extricate ourselves out. Just a cluster F move.

Nope we went off the track early when we rejected Jerry West offer to come back and put magic in charge.

Hmm another off the rails moment was getting trez and letting go of Howard and Mcgee that right there sealed our fate completely from championships.

And next to completely make us just the 90s clippers and big nail in the coffin was not doing the demar derozin and buddy Hield trade and keeping Dennis Schroder but listen to idiot klutch killing all of that to get westbrick.

Yeah those things put us to being pre curry golden state or 90s clippers
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think the AD move in theory was defensible, though we overpaid by IMO one player (Hart) and likely one draft swap. That instantly led to a title.

I think where we went off track is then trading off our pieces for Russ, and not re-signing AC. If we have those pieces, we are still in the playoffs IMO. Whether it's Rob, or Jeanie wanting 3 "superstars," that was a flawed approach that cost us so many pieces, and will take likely another future 1st to extricate ourselves out. Just a cluster F move.

No protections on the picks either, so Lakers can't tank their way to a rebuild until 2026. Gonna be super interesting if the Pels land top 4 with that pick and draft someone like Ivey or Banchero.

That's a sunk cost. Don't care about it.

Looking prospectively, Lakers have to minimize giving out future draft picks too (which is why the Russ saga is so frustrating as they will likely dump another future 1st to get rid of him). The key to an LBJ/AD team is surrounding them with depth as it's almost a given they will miss time. Imagine on this 2022 past season, if we still had Kuz/KCP/AC/22nd pick (and whatever we could have traded Trezz for)? I think they could have helped keep the ship afloat like they did when LBJ/AD missed time in 2020-21.

I just don't get why the Rob/Jeanie thought it was a good idea to strip their depth for a has-been former star.

It was a mistake for sure so I’m not defending it…just want to give my perspective on why the mistake happened…

The Lakers needed a point guard due to the Shroeder situation. They also needed insurance to injury since the team was too top heavy with only AD and LeBron capable of winning games as all others were just perceived as role players.

So Westbrook, theoretically with flawed logic ignoring the bad fit, provided the presumably needed objectives of a PG and injury insurance. If AD missed time, LBJ + WB would keep us winning, in fact it was thought that any two of the three would keep us winning and any one of the three may keep us afloat until the ones that were out returned. None of that crap worked out lol! But I believe that was the thought process that led to the WB mistake.

Also, even tho the WB trade was bad, other factors made it look worst…Vogels inability to adjust coaching philosophy to the team that didn’t fit his style, Rob’s poor roster construction of eight 6’4” or shorter guards and six past prime Lakers while letting go of four players that, for the same price would have provided more help to the team than the ones he replaced them with (Drummond no DAJ, Morris no Ariza, Matthews no Ellington, Shroeder no Nunn).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject:

Watching these playoffs makes me more appreciative of the 2020 ring. Look how hard it is to win a title, and there will be so many good teams that will lose in the 2nd round.

To assume that a team would be a 5, or 10 year contender is not realistic. Yes, Lakers took the shortcut, but they ended up with a ring, something that we should all agree is not easy to obtain.

It's a bloodbath in the playoffs and for every Kobe/LBJ, etc. who win multiple rings, you have many more guys like Barkley, Miller, Ewing who don't.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Watching these playoffs makes me more appreciative of the 2020 ring. Look how hard it is to win a title, and there will be so many good teams that will lose in the 2nd round.

To assume that a team would be a 5, or 10 year contender is not realistic. Yes, Lakers took the shortcut, but they ended up with a ring, something that we should all agree is not easy to obtain.

It's a bloodbath in the playoffs and for every Kobe/LBJ, etc. who win multiple rings, you have many more guys like Barkley, Miller, Ewing who don't.

That ring also came at the lowest point in a lot of people's life, such a tough year. Great championship
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No protections on the picks either, so Lakers can't tank their way to a rebuild until 2026. Gonna be super interesting if the Pels land top 4 with that pick and draft someone like Ivey or Banchero.

That's a sunk cost. Don't care about it.

Looking prospectively, Lakers have to minimize giving out future draft picks too (which is why the Russ saga is so frustrating as they will likely dump another future 1st to get rid of him). The key to an LBJ/AD team is surrounding them with depth as it's almost a given they will miss time. Imagine on this 2022 past season, if we still had Kuz/KCP/AC/22nd pick (and whatever we could have traded Trezz for)? I think they could have helped keep the ship afloat like they did when LBJ/AD missed time in 2020-21.

I just don't get why the Rob/Jeanie thought it was a good idea to strip their depth for a has-been former star.

It was a mistake for sure so I’m not defending it…just want to give my perspective on why the mistake happened…

The Lakers needed a point guard due to the Shroeder situation. They also needed insurance to injury since the team was too top heavy with only AD and LeBron capable of winning games as all others were just perceived as role players.

So Westbrook, theoretically with flawed logic ignoring the bad fit, provided the presumably needed objectives of a PG and injury insurance. If AD missed time, LBJ + WB would keep us winning, in fact it was thought that any two of the three would keep us winning and any one of the three may keep us afloat until the ones that were out returned. None of that crap worked out lol! But I believe that was the thought process that led to the WB mistake.

Also, even tho the WB trade was bad, other factors made it look worst…Vogels inability to adjust coaching philosophy to the team that didn’t fit his style, Rob’s poor roster construction of eight 6’4” or shorter guards and six past prime Lakers while letting go of four players that, for the same price would have provided more help to the team than the ones he replaced them with (Drummond no DAJ, Morris no Ariza, Matthews no Ellington, Shroeder no Nunn).

Agree, they grossly overestimated what they would get from their minimum players. They relied too much on guys that were clearly past their prime and only partially made up for it via players with upside. And you can argue they essentially stumbled into most of the latter with guys like Reaves and Stanley.

It's no wonder that Frank had to use so many lineups when you consider that nobody outside our stars (and maybe Nunn) had any business starting for a contender.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject:

Look at the 76ers. They endured the "Process," got an MVP level player in Embiid, had multiple top draft picks, and next year will be the 10th year anniversary since the Process started. No ring to show for it.

I don't necessarily fault the Lakers with going for a quick championship route because look at how hard it is to win a ring. The playoffs each year are just a crapshoot, and usually, the team that wins a championship has a collection of multiple top 15 NBA players (Warriors, Lakers, Cavs, Heat) or at least a MVP level player and solid all-star level players surrounding them (Raptors, Bucks). There is no guarantee of a 10 year championship contention at all.

I still take the 2020 ring. Just wish we could have kept 1-2 more assets (i.e. Hart and a swap).
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Look at the 76ers. They endured the "Process," got an MVP level player in Embiid, had multiple top draft picks, and next year will be the 10th year anniversary since the Process started. No ring to show for it.

I don't necessarily fault the Lakers with going for a quick championship route because look at how hard it is to win a ring. The playoffs each year are just a crapshoot, and usually, the team that wins a championship has a collection of multiple top 15 NBA players (Warriors, Lakers, Cavs, Heat) or at least a MVP level player and solid all-star level players surrounding them (Raptors, Bucks). There is no guarantee of a 10 year championship contention at all.

I still take the 2020 ring. Just wish we could have kept 1-2 more assets (i.e. Hart and a swap).

No route will guarantee winning the championship. At least, if you build your team step by step and keeps all your draft picks, you can remain competitive for longer and there is more cushions to fall back to. Look at the Celtics, even if they'don't win it all this year, they will still be a contender next few years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No route will guarantee winning the championship. At least, if you build your team step by step and keeps all your draft picks, you can remain competitive for longer and there is more cushions to fall back to. Look at the Celtics, even if they'don't win it all this year, they will still be a contender next few years.

Obviously, you want to be "competitive," but as a Lakers fan, you know this fanbase expects championships. I don't think there's any dispute we took a shortcut for sure, but there's a chance that the Lakers get their cake and eat it too (i.e., end up with a ring AND have a chance to rebuild their team quickly via free agency in 2023-25).
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It seems to be more bad luck than anything else IMO. They also flubbed so many of their draft picks. Okafor, Fultz, Simmons, Zhaire etc. It wasn't wise to draft Okafor when they had Embiid and Noel. Simmons was a no brainer, but I doubt they predicted he would bail on them. although the signs were there in college. Then they traded the 10th pick (Mikal Bridges, a DPOY candidate) for Tobias Harris and the 16th. The 16th pick was used to draft Zhaire Smith, who played a grand total of 13 games in the NBA. A little more sound drafting + keeping Jimmy Butler, and they are probably champs. They are similar to the Lakers in more ways than one, especially in terms of mismanaging assets.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That ring also came at the lowest point in a lot of people's life, such a tough year. Great championship

100% agree. That 2020 championship meant so much to me as a fan. I’m never going to look at it and “shrug” like some “fans” here are suggesting. It’s a championship my favorite team won, it’s always going to be a special memory.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Do ya'' think (I do) that the Bron-AD still good enough to be a contender if healthy? Than have to go all in and flip Russ

Maybe a contender for the conference finals but not a title team. Unless they have a month or more of rest before the playoffs.

Looking at this season, contender for the conference finals is a contender for the chip. Would you burn a 1st to upgrade Westbrook? I think Pelinka/Jeannie would since he's still in go for it mode

No, you have already burned enough firsts with paltry results, let Westbrook expire and then move on.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Lakers legend James Worthy says Lakers 'refused to build' like the Grizzlies, Bucks, and Celtics

Quote:
"The Lakers, I think they have refused to build over the years," Worthy said during an appearance on the "Stoney & Jansen Show." "We've had some good players: [Brandon] Ingram, [Julius] Randle, [Lonzo] Ball. We have tried to win quickly. In Kobe [Bryant]'s last few years, we brought in [Steve] Nash who was a little bit older, Dwight Howard came in with a back injury. We traded away draft picks to try to win immediately and I think they're going to have really think about how they need to build."

Worthy continued.

"You look at Memphis, you look at the way Boston is playing right now, you look at the way Milwaukee has built a team over time. We need to create players that have cohesiveness. We had it a couple years ago and we traded it all away to try to win, to try to match what Brooklyn was doing and what other teams were doing with their Big Three players. I think that's going to go away. That's an illusion, having the Big Three. You see what happened in Brooklyn, you see what happened with the Lakers. Even though everyone experienced injuries, you still should be playing better and you should definitely be in the playoffs. So the Lakers -- it's embarrassing and it's unacceptable."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-legend-james-worthy-says-los-angeles-refused-to-build-like-the-grizzlies-bucks-and-celtics/
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject:

James Worthy is tired of Klutch Angeles

Klutch thinks they are Les Snead and the Rams, without even knowing what it takes to be successful with that strategy. They seem to take “(bleep) them picks” verbatim when there is actually immense day to day grind and calculated choices.

Klutch is to Les Snead/Rams FO what Magic Johnson is to PBO. No homework or grind, just waste assets on names or even worse dump them for nothing.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject:

We need to all be tired of Klutch at this point. I'm just hoping for the best with this FO. Hoping they surprise me because Rob, Kurt, Jeanie, Linda, Phil, and Magic just, to be blunt, seems like a terrible FO. Looking at it, I don't know who is the experienced one out of the bunch. What is the vision? Rob seems mostly dedicated, but he is so over reigned and nobody to really learn from; like who exactly is picking the coach? How many people have a say in it? FO just seems all over the place, not on one accord, but I could be wrong. I'm hoping for the best.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Lakers legend James Worthy says Lakers 'refused to build' like the Grizzlies, Bucks, and Celtics

Quote:
"The Lakers, I think they have refused to build over the years," Worthy said during an appearance on the "Stoney & Jansen Show." "We've had some good players: [Brandon] Ingram, [Julius] Randle, [Lonzo] Ball. We have tried to win quickly. In Kobe [Bryant]'s last few years, we brought in [Steve] Nash who was a little bit older, Dwight Howard came in with a back injury. We traded away draft picks to try to win immediately and I think they're going to have really think about how they need to build."

Worthy continued.

"You look at Memphis, you look at the way Boston is playing right now, you look at the way Milwaukee has built a team over time. We need to create players that have cohesiveness. We had it a couple years ago and we traded it all away to try to win, to try to match what Brooklyn was doing and what other teams were doing with their Big Three players. I think that's going to go away. That's an illusion, having the Big Three. You see what happened in Brooklyn, you see what happened with the Lakers. Even though everyone experienced injuries, you still should be playing better and you should definitely be in the playoffs. So the Lakers -- it's embarrassing and it's unacceptable."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-legend-james-worthy-says-los-angeles-refused-to-build-like-the-grizzlies-bucks-and-celtics/

Wow, where do we start?
That Kobe, Dwight, Nash team was pretty good towards the end of that year when D'antoni let Kobe initiate the offense more. Until Kobe's Achilles Did Worthy rather have kept Bynum who rarely played a game after the trade?

Lebron and AD won a championship. No matter how much people want to dog on the bubble, who cares. It'll be counted in the record books as a championship. I don't care if it's asterisked or not. Does he think a team of BI, Julius, Lonzo, etc win a championship? Gimme a break. And no player wanted to come here in free agency at that time. We're lucky that Lebron brought us out of the gutter.

Cohesiveness is nice and all. But if you have a chance to get 2 top-10 players on your team you do it, and Lebron and AD were top 10 at the time of the trade. Injuries killed us. And lets not act like Lonzo and Alex haven't had injury issues.

Now if Worthy is only complaining about trading for Westbrook, then yes I agree. But seems like he's under some misguided assumption that if you go "organic" you win.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Trading all those picks for Nash was not a good move and our lack of asset management is also not good. We have turned over the roster every year since We acquired Bron and even since we traded for AD. The FO has shown to have no vision outside of 3 stars, which isn't no vision at all. Hopefully they get better. We could win now, but also focus on the future; same as the Warriors, Celtics, and the Bucks.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It seems to be more bad luck than anything else IMO. They also flubbed so many of their draft picks. Okafor, Fultz, Simmons, Zhaire etc. It wasn't wise to draft Okafor when they had Embiid and Noel. Simmons was a no brainer, but I doubt they predicted he would bail on them. although the signs were there in college. Then they traded the 10th pick (Mikal Bridges, a DPOY candidate) for Tobias Harris and the 16th. The 16th pick was used to draft Zhaire Smith, who played a grand total of 13 games in the NBA. A little more sound drafting + keeping Jimmy Butler, and they are probably champs. They are similar to the Lakers in more ways than one, especially in terms of mismanaging assets.

People bring up the 76ers but their draft is what screwed them over.

Drafting Okafor when they already had Embiid was a big mistake.

Let's go from 2014 to 2017 And think about who the Sixers could have drafted

2014: Joel Embiid (Correct decision)
2015: Jahlil Okafor(Wrong decision) Correct Decision: Kristaps Porzingis
2016: Ben Simmons(Correct decision)
2017: Markelle Fultz(Wrong decision) Correct Decision: Jayson Tatum

Two bad Draft decisions, prevented what would have been a potential Dynasty.

Now imagine if the 76ers had the draft classes of

PG: Ben Simmons
SG: Empty
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Kristaps Porzingis
C: Joel Embiid

Then remember that they pulled off a trade for Jimmy Butler for Robert Covington, Dario Saric and a 2022 second round pick. Keep in mind they also had max space on top of all that.

And you have a potential dynasty in Philadelphia with 4 pieces built through the draft. Oh and they'd have had JJ Redick too. then think about Jimmy not leaving because they wouldn't max Tobias Harris. And you get a lineup of

PG: Ben Simmons
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Kristaps Porzingis
C: Joel Embiid

That right there is a favorite in the East, especially if Porzingis doesn't get hurt from having to carry the Knicks on his back every night. Think of the size AND the defense.

So yeah the 76ers could have done what the Warriors built a blueprint for if they don't blow 2 of their draft picks.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Can we do monday morning quarterback for all 30 teams?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

I mean you could, but it makes the most sense when it's players within the range.

As in not calling out teams that "could have" drafted Jokic. But using what is available and known around the people in that area.

For example.. you could do this for the 2004 Pistons easily. Like this..

2004 Pistons: DRAFT CARMELO ANTHONY.

They do that, Carmelo begins his career with 3 Championships (1 vs the Kobe and Shaq Lakers) and his entire career is looked at differently.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I mean you could, but it makes the most sense when it's players within the range.

As in not calling out teams that "could have" drafted Jokic. But using what is available and known around the people in that area.

For example.. you could do this for the 2004 Pistons easily. Like this..

2004 Pistons: DRAFT CARMELO ANTHONY.

They do that, Carmelo begins his career with 3 Championships (1 vs the Kobe and Shaq Lakers) and his entire career is looked at differently.

LOL. Nice.

What about Minny?

2008 KLove
2009 Steph (they picked Rubio and Flynn over him!!!)
2010 Paul George or Gordon Hayward
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject:

People are looking at this the wrong way IMO.

Klutch actually saved Jeanie/Rob. If not for them bringing LBJ/AD, there is no championship. At that point, we were what, 5 consecutive years of no playoffs (while the Clips had "Lob City" going on)?

So Klutch really propped up an otherwise failing franchise/FO and gifted them a ring, thereby letting them justify their current existence. How else do you explain going from the 2020 championship to our team this year? Incompetence.

I don't blame Klutch for anything. I actually thank them that they brought us a 2020 championship. But of course, Jeanie/Rob will take the credit for that.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

Wish we could have a poll asking if you would rather have:

1 championship and 9 years of no playoffs

Or

0 championships and 10 years of playoffs

Would love to see the results..
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
Wish we could have a poll asking if you would rather have:

1 championship and 9 years of no playoffs

Or

0 championships and 10 years of playoffs

Would love to see the results..

Can you explain the logic behind the 2 scenarios? Or was it a typo?
How are we at 1 ring and 9 missed playoffs for scenario 1, but scenario 2 has 0 rings but 10 years of playoffs?

We missed the playoffs since 2013-14 through 2018-19 (6 years).
Finally made it in 2019-20.
Missed the following 2 years.
So in those years, we missed the playoffs 8 times, made 1 and won a ring.

Let's say we didn't do the trade. And by some miracle we made the playoffs the last 3 years. I doubt that would be the case, but for argument's sake lets pretend they did. It would be:

1 championship with 8 missed playoffs, 1 made playoffs.

vs

0 championship with 6 missed playoffs, 3 made playoffs.

The choice would be easy imo. Scenario 1.
... After re-reading, are you just asking a general question? If so, my bad. Interesting question. I'm on the fence.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 37 of 42
Jump to: