Can Gaston Reaves make the leap next season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kobe8One wrote:
Is he better than Caruso as a rookie?

Looked at Caruso today. Just hope Jeannie opens her wallet when we need to resign Reaves. If he can knock down open threes, he will be very valuable.

Reaves is an average player, we shouldn’t need to overpay. MLE should be enough.

If he’s worth the mle after his first year. That means we got a player.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He has made his leap, he is who he will be. He isn’t some 18 yo player, his ceiling is where he is. I would expect some refinement around the edges but gaining strength and endurance should be his targets. He definitely is a rotational player.

When did Draymond Green make his leap?

Marc Gasol?

Ben Wallace?

When did Smush Parker make his leap? Kwame Brown? Luke Walton?

I’m being facetious about those guys, obviously. The point is that a lot of guys don’t ever make much of a leap. For every Ben Wallace, there are a dozen Chris Mihms. When I look at Austin Reaves, I see a guy who hustles and brings energy. That’s a good thing. But I also see a guy without special athleticism. I’m glad we got him. I wouldn’t count on him becoming Draymond Green, though.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He has made his leap, he is who he will be. He isn’t some 18 yo player, his ceiling is where he is. I would expect some refinement around the edges but gaining strength and endurance should be his targets. He definitely is a rotational player.

Marc Gasol?

Ben Wallace?

I’m being facetious about those guys, obviously. The point is that a lot of guys don’t ever make much of a leap. For every Ben Wallace, there are a dozen Chris Mihms. When I look at Austin Reaves, I see a guy who hustles and brings energy. That’s a good thing. But I also see a guy without special athleticism. I’m glad we got him. I wouldn’t count on him becoming Draymond Green, though.

What did you think of Caruso’s athleticism?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject:

We live in an era where Max Strus is a starter on an ECF team. So I wouldn’t write off anyone like Reaves as just a role player.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What did you think of Caruso’s athleticism?

I'd give Caruso the edge over Reaves, but they're comparable. However, it's important to remember that Caruso isn't a two-way player. Almost all of his value is on defense. He isn't a ballhandler or a shooter. He's got a niche. Could Reaves do something similar? Sure, it's possible. But understand that my comments about Reaves are in the context of the OP's theory that Reaves could be a 17/5/5 guy next year and an MIP candidate. Caruso's not doing that.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject:

If he can shoot 38% form 3 he's an elite role player
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

Is he or can he get better than Pat Conaughton or Grayson Allen or Jose Alvarado? yes
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

I am hopeful he can be a consistent contributor for years to come in the mold of Steve Black.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
We live in an era where Max Strus is a starter on an ECF team. So I wouldn’t write off anyone like Reaves as just a role player.

The Heat have 4 undrafted players on their playoff roster (Dedmon, Strus, Robinson, Martin). Talk about finding gems. I do feel like we are in an era where it's easier for players to know what they have to work on to thrive on teams. A lot of these systems are becoming plug and play. That's why I think a coach like Atkinson will be good for his development.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:

You don’t think that Strus is a role player?
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

The Heat have 4 undrafted players on their playoff roster (Dedmon, Strus, Robinson, Martin). Talk about finding gems. I do feel like we are in an era where it's easier for players to know what they have to work on to thrive on teams. A lot of these systems are becoming plug and play. That's why I think a coach like Atkinson will be good for his development.

gabe vincent also
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

You don’t think that Strus is a role player?

I think role players are guys off the bench. Strus started the last game and played 39 minutes (2nd only to Butler’s 42).

I think there’s a difference between being a bench player on a bad team (like Reaves was for the Lakers) and a starter on an ECF team like Strus is.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject:

Oh God, the Dubs are gonna win it all again this year. I can feel it in my bones. I live in Oakland. I gotta endure countless bandwagoners posturing. Both for being a Lakers fan... And for living in Oakland.. "yo bro, they're back home in San Francisco."

Same idiots who wouldn't recognize Chris Mullin if he showed up wearing his old warriors jersey.
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

And they also found Nunn a couple years ago who also was undrafted. Strus story is crazy. Played his first 2 college years at D2 Lewis. Then transfers to DePaul. Undrafted. Then finds his way into being a starter by his 3rd NBA season on the best team in the East. Miami def knows what to look for and how to piece together a functioning team. I’m still surprised a team starting Strus, Vincent, and Tucker can be this good.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

gabe vincent also

Wow. Forgot about him. So 1/3rd of their roster is undrafted.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

And they also found Nunn a couple years ago who also was undrafted. Strus story is crazy. Played his first 2 college years at D2 Lewis. Then transfers to DePaul. Undrafted. Then finds his way into being a starter by his 3rd NBA season on the best team in the East. Miami def knows what to look for and how to piece together a functioning team. I’m still surprised a team starting Strus, Vincent, and Tucker can be this good.

Yeah, Miami has an excellent program. I don't think anyone expected them to finish as the top seed and then make the ECF.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

gabe vincent also

Not just the Heat, many late picks and second rounders are getting minutes in this year playoffs.

Modern NBA
1. Draft picks are not as important as before except no.1-3
2. College talents are much more even
3. Scouts and players development play a more important role
4. 3 pointers = layups
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Yeah, Miami has an excellent program. I don't think anyone expected them to finish as the top seed and then make the ECF.

Getting TJ Tucker is the difference. The Bucks will pay the price.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

gabe vincent also

Not just the Heat, many late picks and second rounders are getting minutes in this year playoffs.

Modern NBA
1. Draft picks are not as important as before except no.1-3
2. College talents are much more even
3. Scouts and players development play a more important role
4. 3 pointers = layups

Yeah. I've been high on young talent for a while. The number of 1st/2nd year players contributing today is simply astounding. Seems like it's much easier for players to transition to modern offenses because of the 3pt shot. There are less baseline requirements, but a much bigger talent pool. Hard not to see the Lakers taking advantage of this, given their lack of draft picks in the next few years. Feels like it's no longer an old man's game. The Mavs are essentially Luka and a bunch of 2nd rounders / undrafted players who mastered the 5 out offense.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
I can see Austin being as good as Jeff Hornacek.

Hornacek was very highly regarded coming out of college and slipped to the 2nd Round in an era where most pro scouts rarely saw players who played outside of the Eastern Time Zone if their teams weren't in the NCAA tourney.

Reaves was undrafted and doesn't seem to have the polish that Hornacek (a coach's son) had, but Reaves is bigger and has basketball genes (both of his parents high level college hoops).

To have a Hornacek level impact, AR will need to tighten his handle and his jumper. He might be able to do it.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Reaves makes quick decisions that put him in good position most plays on both sides. Good vision, good touch, plays with miles of heart. Just a hooper. He’s not strong enough, is inconsistent with his long ball, and needs to improve as a PnR ball handler.

Shoot 38%+ long, develop more downhill gravity while showing you can hit the corner man, then you have something. IMO, all of these thing are attainable for Reaves if he proves to be a tireless worker. We’ll see what he’s added come end of the year.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
AD23 wrote:
I can see Austin being as good as Jeff Hornacek.

Hornacek was very highly regarded coming out of college and slipped to the 2nd Round in an era where most pro scouts rarely saw players who played outside of the Eastern Time Zone if their teams weren't in the NCAA tourney.

Reaves was undrafted and doesn't seem to have the polish that Hornacek (a coach's son) had, but Reaves is bigger and has basketball genes (both of his parents high level college hoops).

To have a Hornacek level impact, AR will need to tighten his handle and his jumper. He might be able to do it.

That's his max upside. Hornacek was a phenomenal player.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Reaves makes quick decisions that put him in good position most plays on both sides. Good vision, good touch, plays with miles of heart. Just a hooper. He’s not strong enough, is inconsistent with his long ball, and needs to improve as a PnR ball handler.

Shoot 38%+ long, develop more downhill gravity while showing you can hit the corner man, then you have something. IMO, all of these thing are attainable for Reaves if he proves to be a tireless worker. We’ll see what he’s added come end of the year.

I think adding strength and improving his speed is the key to Reaves success. With the proper training he can 100% improve on strength and marginally on speed.

The results will be a more consistent 3 pt shot and if he works with a guy like Phil Handy then he can improve his dribble. It's all about the pacing and deceptiveness of a cross over that can help him get by defenders.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Marc Gasol?

Ben Wallace?

It just sounds like you rule out improvement leaps based on age.

Frankly, there's a lot of reasons guys don't improve much once they're in the L, but I never think that Reaves has felt like he "made it" and "will settle down since he made it."

Can't say the same of the aforementioned guys you listed.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

All Reaves needs to worry about 2nd year is strength/durability to get through a full season and playoffs without injury.

When the strength is there, you'll see less shooting inconsistency with more confidence on both ends of the floor.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: