Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 307, 308, 309 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I’m at a point if the Rockets were to add sweetners in a Wall trade I would go ahead and accept it, their was talk we almost landed John Wall and Christian Wood at the trade deadline perhaps something like that is re-visited in the summer.

why would Houston do that?

Because the Inspector lives in a fantasy world where teams are salivating to give the Lakers something for nothing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
An interesting trade idea that I saw somewhere, how about Russ/2nds for Porky/KCP?

Seems Russ was happy on the Wiz, small market, no one cares about them, and he can play "Russ ball."

Porky is owed 33m next year, and 36m in 23/24 (player option). This would allow the Wiz, should Beal not extend, to completely clear their cap books for 2023 and rebuild.

Porky and AD? Can that work, similar game

Both look dapper sitting on the bench in street clothes. We need to learn from the past.

Porky sucks. Soft as Charmin. Brittle like AD. No thanks!!

Think of it as getting KCP back, and just 1 additional year of Porky. Of course if the Wiz want a 1st, no deal. So it'll never happen.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
An interesting trade idea that I saw somewhere, how about Russ/2nds for Porky/KCP?

Seems Russ was happy on the Wiz, small market, no one cares about them, and he can play "Russ ball."

Porky is owed 33m next year, and 36m in 23/24 (player option). This would allow the Wiz, should Beal not extend, to completely clear their cap books for 2023 and rebuild.

Both look dapper sitting on the bench in street clothes. We need to learn from the past.

Think of it as getting KCP back, and just 1 additional year of Porky. Of course if the Wiz want a 1st, no deal. So it'll never happen.

Porzingis is like the poor man’s version of AD. Both are supposedly unicorns. Both are constantly injured.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Porzingis is like the poor man’s version of AD. Both are supposedly unicorns. Both are constantly injured.

Yeah. That's what you can expect with a severely depreciated asset like Russ. I'm hard pressed to find deals where the Lakers "win" trading out Russ. It'll be painful no matter how you cut it (John Walling Russ, or just keeping him and trading him at the deadline, or using 1st(s) to unload, or taking back some bad deals or flawed players).
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This trade only works if the Wiz want a completely clear cap sheet for 2023. And I think there's a good chance they'd rather have that then Porky on the books that year. Jokic likely signs that supermax soon so 2023 FA goes up in flames. And no way do I want the Lakers to sign a then-30 year old Beal either to a 4 year max deal.

Now if we could only find a coach who likes to use two big front lines .

I had thought about a Russ deal back to Washington too, and then remembered Leonosis said this after the trade. Could be it’s not a barrier, but it doesn’t sound like he was too happy with Russ.

I’m also thinking if they don’t extend Beal, they’ll want to bottom out for the draft. Not sure cap room in 2023 would be a priority if they hit reset.

Quote:
“We had a superstar player with the Wizards, he had an opportunity and wanted to be traded to the Lakers…And I was dealing with that as we were announcing Alex. I couldn’t help but self-reflect on what a difference it is. Here’s a great player in Russell Westbrook, played in OKC, wanted to be traded, went to Houston, wanted to be traded, came to D.C., wanted to be traded and is now in L.A. He’s an unbelievably great person and an unbelievably great player. But that’s the difference between the NBA and the NHL, I suppose

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject:

The only scenario I see of Russell leaving the Lakers would be for a max contract in Orlando.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The only scenario I see of Russell leaving the Lakers would be for a max contract in Orlando.

So Russ opts out, there would be a parade in the streets!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject:

The Wizards are very happy with Porzingis/Kuzma frontline from what I saw. Even without Beal/Kuzma, they won quite a few games. As a Wizard Porzingis averaged 22.1 ppg, shot 47.5 from the field, 37.% from 3, and looked like a legit #1A next to Beal.

Beal, Porzingis, Kuzma, KCP + 1-2 more pieces = a good lower playoff seed in the East. Why would they dump all of that for 1 more year of suffering from Westbrook? If they didn't want Porzingis' contract, they would have never traded for him to begin with IMO. I think the Wizards are in a decent spot if they draft well, or make a good longterm Beal trade (get multiple draft picks and a young starter).

If you look at their GM he's always upgrading it seems his position. From Wallto WB. to WB to a FRP, Kuzma, KCP, Trez, etc. Turns that into KCP, Kuzma, Porzingis. Basically who on this board would not prefer Kuzma/Porzingis/KCP next to AD/Bron, which is what we could have had if we had someone like the Wizards GM running things. It's just how good GMs manage assets, while we do what we do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

We won't do it, but if we assured him we would John Wall/Houston him, I think his career numbers and stats are worth 37M he would likely lose in FA. We could also help him via S+T and maybe get him a 3year deal to some team looking for an occasional starter/elite 6th man. Team would only be willing to pay him the MLE, but if we offerd S+T options using his bird rights that we have, he could probably fetch more than the MLE from some teams.

We would need to change our mindset with him and in general into being clear that WB will not play for the Lakers again, that they're re-building their backcourt etc. etc. Once he sees that he's going to have to be paid to sit out, and all his career numbers are affected, I think he'd change tunes. Right now we did exactly what he probably wanted. Change the head coach who didn't let him get the ball every single possession after the rebound.

But can't see us go this route because we view Westbrook as a "star".
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject:

there is no Westbrook trade that benefits the lakers. Just bring him back next year, have him come off the bench and trade his expiring contract mid-next year. It's one bad season vs. potentially giving up a first round pick that could haunt the franchise for years. And no, this Laker FO will not make that super trade that will turn the team into a contender next year.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
there is no Westbrook trade that benefits the lakers. Just bring him back next year, have him come off the bench and trade his expiring contract mid-next year. It's one bad season vs. potentially giving up a first round pick that could haunt the franchise for years. And no, this Laker FO will not make that super trade that will turn the team into a contender next year.

You want to bring back a guy who acted like a douche at the exit interview, taking shots at his teammates, the guy literally made the Lakers media members cringe when he talked about his style of play, this isn’t just about him playing bad, or the assumption that Vogel wasn’t using him right, he criticized the fans when he made embarrassing plays when they rightfully booed him, I want him out of here.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
paymonM wrote:

You want to bring back a guy who acted like a douche at the exit interview, taking shots at his teammates, the guy literally made the Lakers media members cringe when he talked about his style of play, this isn’t just about him playing bad, or the assumption that Vogel wasn’t using him right, he criticized the fans when he made embarrassing plays when they rightfully booed him, I want him out of here.

Yeah, pretty sure I also read several times throughout the Season that he did not want to come off the bench when asked ala Melo before he accepted he wasn't a Superstar anymore and by how Russ was still acting at Seasons end I have a feeling that's not changing too soon. He's toxic asf especially now that he doesn't have that same insane athletic ability that helped cover many of his shortcomings. There is literally nothing whatsoever I could see about him and have even the smallest glimmer of hope he'd be good next season whether I look on the court or how he talked to the media, it was just all pure trash.

I will say the only thing i'm against is adding picks to the trade if it's a clear lateral move like the Wall trade. I'd rather just hold on to him and hope a team realizes it's not there year early on and trade for him for the cap space. If he's being his toxic self give him that Wall bench treatment and tell him to start ringing GM's around the league to trade for him if he wants to play otherwise he'll at least give us some breathing room in the cap at the end of the Season. At this point i'd honestly much rather see Austin, Monk, THT and Nunn absorbing every single one of his minutes.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
paymonM wrote:

Yeah, pretty sure I also read several times throughout the Season that he did not want to come off the bench when asked ala Melo before he accepted he wasn't a Superstar anymore and by how Russ was still acting at Seasons end I have a feeling that's not changing too soon. He's toxic asf especially now that he doesn't have that same insane athletic ability that helped cover many of his shortcomings. There is literally nothing whatsoever I could see about him and have even the smallest glimmer of hope he'd be good next season whether I look on the court or how he talked to the media, it was just all pure trash.

I will say the only thing i'm against is adding picks to the trade if it's a clear lateral move like the Wall trade. I'd rather just hold on to him and hope a team realizes it's not there year early on and trade for him for the cap space. If he's being his toxic self give him that Wall bench treatment and tell him to start ringing GM's around the league to trade for him if he wants to play otherwise he'll at least give us some breathing room in the cap at the end of the Season. At this point i'd honestly much rather see Austin, Monk, THT and Nunn absorbing every single one of his minutes.

I’m at a point that i would trade this guy off even if we have to add a pick, how do you expect to bring back a guy who singlehandedly tried sabotaging games? Not once or twice or 3 times but more then a dozen games he played like he didn’t care, I think the moment when he realized that he didn’t want to be here is when Phil Handy was trying to teach him how to play the right way because he’s a douche like that.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject:

For everyone thinking the Lakers will trade Westbrook, I think all of you will be sorely disappointed.

I’ve been pretty vocal that I think it would be foolish to trade any FRP for Westbrook. I’ve also felt that it would be foolish to trade for any other distressed asset with a longer contact (Hield, Hayward,etc.)

It is most likely that he plays out his contract here or we trade him mid season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10035952-lakers-rumors-russell-westbrook-staying-is-more-real-all-the-time-amid-trade-buzz

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject:

Even if you attach picks, trading RW will not net us a healthy star player. Our standing relies more on AD and LBJ's health more than RW trade. So, don't do stupid trades. Keeping RW is always an option.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject:

If they are running it back with Russ, better nail the role players and get some high IQ players who can defend and shoot.

Tall task…
Lakers_GOAT_Team_16X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
For everyone thinking the Lakers will trade Westbrook, I think all of you will be sorely disappointed.

I’ve been pretty vocal that I think it would be foolish to trade any FRP for Westbrook. I’ve also felt that it would be foolish to trade for any other distressed asset with a longer contact (Hield, Hayward,etc.)

It is most likely that he plays out his contract here or we trade him mid season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10035952-lakers-rumors-russell-westbrook-staying-is-more-real-all-the-time-amid-trade-buzz

Not surprised this FO would wash Lebrons possibly last elite playing year we keep this dude we aren’t winning anything next season
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Even if you attach picks, trading RW will not net us a healthy star player. Our standing relies more on AD and LBJ's health more than RW trade. So, don't do stupid trades. Keeping RW is always an option.

Its not about netting a star player, its about netting competent role players to put around Lebron and AD which is proven to be a winning formula when healthy.

We saw this year what a Lebron, AD, and Russ team looks like even when healthy, at best we were a .500 team.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Whittled down to:
1 - RW for Heyward, Oubre
2 - RW, FRP for Wall just to get him off the team
3 - RW, for Brogs, Hield
4 - RW, Stanley for Jules, Kemba, Noel

And a couple of maybe but unlikely:
5 - RW for Fultz, Ross, Bamba
6 - RW, FRP for Fox, Holmes?

So.. fair to say that there are really only 6 places that MIGHT take WB?

Super slim pickings.... Lakers better be thinking how to spin this until at least trade deadline...

Yup that’s the dilemma with Westbrook only valuable as an expiring contract.

You’re limited due to what you can obtain due to Westbrook’s play/personality/lack of assets/size of contact.

The lack of assets hurts more because a frp in the same year attached to Westbrook might put you in play for a disgruntled star. A 2027 frp isn’t that valuable for rebuilding teams at this time.

Even kwame’s expiring required us to attach a frp in the same year to get gasol.

Since this is still an on going discussion.....earlier in the thread the above is/was boiled down to POSSIBLE landing spots for WB after taking a look at all 30 teams.

There's really about 6 places where WB MIGHT be able to go just by the fact of having a willing trade partner (the vast majority of teams wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole)

Then, if you also remove the Lakers giving one or more FRPs (which I think is a non-starter) you get maybe 4 actual spots assuming those teams do actually want a salary dump - CHA, NYK, ORL and IND. (I might now throw PHX into that mix after yesterday's massacre, though)

All that is to say that Laker fans better brace for the reality of WB on the team to start the season at the very least. There is no way dude is opting out unless, as has also been pointed out, the Lakers were to somehow do a 180, get tough and threaten to sit him ala John Wall (which is the path I would take with him).
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

Lakers_GOAT_Team_16X wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Not surprised this FO would wash Lebrons possibly last elite playing year we keep this dude we aren’t winning anything next season

Do you remember that scene in Avengers Infinity War where Tony Stark asks Dr. Strange how many ways there are possible that we could beat Thanos and he says 1 in something million?

That's what our probability looks like for this coming season whether you trade him or not.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Lakers_GOAT_Team_16X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Lakers_GOAT_Team_16X wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Do you remember that scene in Avengers Infinity War where Tony Stark asks Dr. Strange how many ways there are possible that we could beat Thanos and he says 1 in something million?

That's what our probability looks like for this coming season whether you trade him or not.

I like this analogy tho😂😂😂 but I feel better not having him and hopefully just building this team around AD and Bron, Russ makes us worse and we would be back to last offseason making a team of vets minimums as signings
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
If they are running it back with Russ, better nail the role players and get some high IQ players who can defend and shoot.

Tall task…

Especially with nothing to offer. But I think that is the plan.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Who has the credentials to tell Russ he going to the bench?

Quote:
When the Lakers’ late owner, Dr. Jerry Buss, insisted on adding Payton in the summer of 2003, that meant Jackson had to convince Derek Fisher to come off the bench. And considering those Lakers had won titles in three of the previous four seasons with Fisher starting, this wasn’t a welcome situation for Jackson to have to handle. Yet though they didn’t win it all, the Lakers did manage to return to the finals that season (where they lost to Detroit). The comparison, it seems, was made to make the point that the coach (and his staff) should somehow find a way to find the Westbrook solution. Again, the strong signs continue that the Lakers are preparing for the possibility of Westbrook remaining. – via Sam Amick @ The Athletic
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Who has the credentials to tell Russ he going to the bench?

Quote:
When the Lakers’ late owner, Dr. Jerry Buss, insisted on adding Payton in the summer of 2003, that meant Jackson had to convince Derek Fisher to come off the bench. And considering those Lakers had won titles in three of the previous four seasons with Fisher starting, this wasn’t a welcome situation for Jackson to have to handle. Yet though they didn’t win it all, the Lakers did manage to return to the finals that season (where they lost to Detroit). The comparison, it seems, was made to make the point that the coach (and his staff) should somehow find a way to find the Westbrook solution. Again, the strong signs continue that the Lakers are preparing for the possibility of Westbrook remaining. – via Sam Amick @ The Athletic

If coaching Bron & AD are all on board I think they could get him to get around to it. Really only those two can reach him.

Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject:

The answer to the WB question is actually pretty clear, someone just has to have the guts to tell WB he can:

A) Opt out
B) Sit out
C) Accept that he will never start on the Lakers again and do what he can off the bench like a professional

Stolen from the FA thread -

JUST-MING wrote:

2022 Free Agents

23 year old 6'6" G Jarrett Culver (#110 rank SG)
28 year old 6'4" G Gary Harris (#49 rank SG)
29 year old 6'3" G Dennis Schroder (#37 rank PG)
30 year old 6'5" G Delon Wright (#59 rank PG)
35 year old 6'4" G Wesley Matthews (#83 rank SG)

23 year old 6'6" F Troy Brown Jr (#73 rank SF)
25 year old 6'8" F Josh Jackson (#71 rank SF)
25 year old 6'5" F Derrick Jones Jr (#69 rank PF)
34 year old 6'8" F Thaddeus Young (#55 rank PF)

24 year old 7'0" C Isaiah Hartenstein (#34 rank C)
24 year old 7'0" C Mitchell Robinson (#21 rank C)
28 year old 6'11" C Jusuf Nurkic (#12 rank C)
29 year old 6'10" C Andre Drummond (#25 rank C)
34 year old 7'0" C Robin Lopez (#69 rank C)
34 year old 7'0" C Javale Mcgee (#36 rank C)

My hope is Klutch convinces Jusuf Nurkic to take a paycut.

Minimum/(Howard if retained)/Minimum
Davis/Melo/Johnson
LBJ/BAE pickup
THT/(Monk if retained)/Minimum/Reaves
Nunn/(WB if retained)/Minimum/Spare Minimum depending on WB

Could make a little noise in playoffs if healthy....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 307, 308, 309 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 308 of 426
Jump to: