BUBBLE TITLE - ASTERISK OR NOT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DOES THE CORONA CUP TITLE GET AN ASTERISK?
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
No
82%
 82%  [ 89 ]
Maybe
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 108

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The break before the bubble helped AD/Bron get some rest, but it also hurt them for the following/ensuing season. The short turn around, you saw a very out of shape AD the following season and the team ran out of gas. But they had a lot of character guys like KCP, Caruso even Kuz who kept the team engaged. So we didn't see the real effects of how much the impact of the short turn around had on someone like AD and Lebron too.

So I could easily argue that had the Lakers had a full offseason between 2020 and 2021 playoffs, they could have done much better in 2021 playoffs.

In the end a title is a title and I'll take it any way I can.

I've never bought that argument, given that we had played 25-30 games in about seven months with no travel. The no-travel part is a big deal. Now that we've had another season with a full offseason, and Davis and Lebron got hurt anyway, I buy it even less.

As for an asterisk, I've never bought that argument for anyone. The bubble title came from an unusual season under unusual circumstances. It will be remembered as an unusual season, just like '99. But arguing for an asterisk is something that jealous fans do. Over the years, we've had our share of good luck and bad luck in the playoffs. So has everyone else. Arguing for an asterisk is pointless.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Every championship arguably has an "asterisk" next to it. Whether it's genuine or just agenda based, I don't care. The NBA held a playoffs in 2020. It was during a once in a century pandemic, but it was an officially sanctioned championship. There have been strike shortened seasons too, which may have benefitted some older players with less games, but in the scheme of things, no one really remembers.

I mean does the Raptors championship count since Klay/KD were injured? Or how about LBJ having to fight the 73-9 Warriors with KD? Or how about LBJ losing Kyrie and Love? Or go back further. How about Perkins getting hurt in Game 7? Or Lakers not having Bynum/Ariza in 2008? You can go on and on, and it's an argument, but not a fact that the team that won it that year, won it.

this is silly. Historically injuries have decided a lot, but it's accepted. If a team relies on injury-prone players that's on them. Freak accidents also happen or injuries due to age, mileage, low pain tolerance etc.

What isn't normal, which in the truest sense of an outlier was the bubble. The world as a whole has a footnote during that time. So lets not act like its anything close to normal.

Our key players have yet to stay healthy or do anything significant without the bubble.

Lebron and AD were both healthy that year going into the break, injuries can happen any time, you just can't assume it. in fact, one of them could've gotten hurt while playing in the bubble. if anything, the super long 2020 season had something to do with AD's injuries the following year. Lebron's injury was a freak accident which could've happened anywhere.
by your argument, the clippers got even bigger break because Kawhi and PG13 are both injury prone and both used 3 months for load management, Kawhi played less games than AD since 2019.
Jimmy Butler wasn't exactly Mr. Ironman.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
An asterisks in sports, is when 1 team played with an unfair advantage against other teams.

The Lakers, finished with the best record in the west. Because of that, they would have had home court advantage, throughout the playoffs. Due to the bubble, they ended up not having it, leveling the playing field and stripping them of an earned advantage.

The death of Kobe hung over the team and the franchise the entire season, a burden that no other team had to deal with.

According to the players, the bubble was stressful, tedious environment that really wore on the players. If you were to win the title, you would have had to deal with those circumstances for over 3 months, testing your chemistry and mental toughness.

The Lakers fought through all of that and won the title. Calling the title a Mickey Mouse title or labeling it as a asterisk is the dumbest $h!t ever. It reeks of jealousy and lunacy. For people, in this group to even suggest such a thing is very disappointing.

I mean, they had an arguably bigger advantage than HCA in the nicer hotel rooms. Nicer hotel rooms = Higher quality of rest and therefore better on-court performance. Wasn’t really a fair arrangement.

Lol... what?

Most people sleep better at their own home and surroundings. What are you talking about?

Candycane thinks that:
1. Lebron and AD's homes were worse than Disneyland hotels accommodation.
2. Lakers stayed in nice hotels while other teams sleep in Motel 6.
3. being away 3 months and locked in a resort is good for your mental health.
i will say this about the bubble run, it would be the title i remember the most because it was such an unique situation.
i missed Mcgee's Vblogs, the world needed that in the mindset of Covid. them winning it was cherry on top. to be honest, i didn't think they had a chance based on the 8 games they played prior to the playoffs in the bubble.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject:

If it was such an asterisk title, why didn’t basketball orgs STARVING for a chip (Clippers, Suns, Nuggets, Bucks at the time, Jazz) win?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject:

Your thread creation deserves an asterisk

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
impossible

Who was not invited to compete?

Quite a few teams
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
impossible

Quite a few teams

Lol you mean the teams that weee hopelessly not even close to being in playoff contention?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers played 63 games before the bubble and LeBron played in about 58 of them give or take. It’s not certain that he wouldn’t be able to get through that season without a rest break.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
impossible

Quite a few teams

Lol you mean the teams that weee hopelessly not even close to being in playoff contention?

Did you bother to read the question I responded to?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
impossible

Quite a few teams

And what’s the relevance? The last place team didn’t finish games. What difference does that make again?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

It was a legit title, it just looked different on TV, which made it less enjoyable for me than other championships, but it was still the same ball and the same size court and baskets and the players still had to play for it.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject:

In some ways having the title associated with a "bubble" already places an asterisk on it despite our intentions.

7-10 years from now, no one is going to call last year's title an "injury" one because injuries are part of the game. There will be many more seasons where a key injury changes the title hopes of some team.

There will likely never be a bubble again. The chances and circumstances of the bubble are too unique to wash away any association with the title. As a result, it will always be known as the "bubble" title by most basketball pundits.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject:

Arguably the only title run where the team advancing to the next round was overjoyed and, yet, a bit bitter. 90+ days trapped in a resort, even as an NBA player, isn't, ya know, fun.

And FWIW, I remember the talk from attendees (like bill simmons, notably) during the run and particularly after was that it had the highest level of basketball they've seen played, which they attributed to the players having nothing to focus on but ball for weeks straight.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:15 am    Post subject:

It was one of the greatest chip, delivered at one of the worst time in most people life, compounded by the passing of a Lakers great.
Can we just stop with these new threads about discrediting our #17, seems like since AD got injured post the chip, those who regretted the trade devalued the chip just to bolster their argument about his trade
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject:

Fair or not, no one outside of Los Angeles or the Lakers fan base will respect that title.

Fans of other teams will forever clown that title and belittle it.

Its just the way its going to be.

What I find a somewhat funny is how offended some Lakers fans get when people do try to clown that title because I know damn well Lakers fans would do the same had another team won it.

It just is what it is.

Bron and AD had a chance to validate that title in the eyes of the haters by following it up with another one that was won in much more normal circumstances and they both have come up woefully short.

First round exit and then not even able to make the play-in game in the two seasons following the title.

So Lakers fans can argue till they are blue in the face but the bubble chip will forever get clowned by opposing fan bases for eternity.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Fair or not, no one outside of Los Angeles or the Lakers fan base will respect that title.

What I find a somewhat funny is how offended some Lakers fans get when people do try to clown that title because I know damn well Lakers fans would do the same had another team won it.

It just is what it is.

Bron and AD had a chance to validate that title in the eyes of the haters by following it up with another one that was won in much more normal circumstances and they both have come up woefully short.

First round exit and then not even able to make the play-in game in the two seasons following the title.

So Lakers fans can argue till they are blue in the face but the bubble chip will forever get clowned by opposing fan bases for eternity.

As memories fade the official count remains.
Witness the Spurs '99 title which some scattered posters on message-boards occasionally debate but is rarely brought up when titles are counted for the Spurs (or Popovich or Duncan or Robinson); that counter passion/energy has long receded.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
RashardA wrote:

It just is what it is.

As memories fade the official count remains.
Witness the Spurs '99 title which some scattered posters on message-boards occasionally debate but is rarely brought up when titles are counted for the Spurs (or Popovich or Duncan or Robinson); that counter passion/energy has long receded.

The bubble is different. It counts the same which is all that matters, but there is a footnote for the world that year. COVID will dominate the topic of that year for everything, forever.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
impossible

Quite a few teams

And what’s the relevance? The last place team didn’t finish games. What difference does that make again?

I guess not.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
In some ways having the title associated with a "bubble" already places an asterisk on it despite our intentions.

7-10 years from now, no one is going to call last year's title an "injury" one because injuries are part of the game. There will be many more seasons where a key injury changes the title hopes of some team.

There will likely never be a bubble again. The chances and circumstances of the bubble are too unique to wash away any association with the title. As a result, it will always be known as the "bubble" title by most basketball pundits.

There will never be another Finals played during football season. If so the ratings will be as paltry as they were in 2020. No one would care.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject:

All I know is certain folks are bitter that the Clippers will never win a title any time soon and are bitter as hell at the Lakers so they will do anything to undermine their 2020 title.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
All I know is certain folks are bitter that the Clippers will never win a title any time soon and are bitter as hell at the Lakers so they will do anything to undermine their 2020 title.

this is true too. Had the clippers won we know ballmer would have made a statue out of the trophy and put it on every street corner.
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Our 2020 title was a great achievement.

I don't give a damn who thinks otherwise.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject:

Give me 15 guesses and I bet I can name the 9 who said "yes".
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject:

If another team had won the Bubble title, somehow I don't think its fanbase would be attaching any asterisk to it.

Only thing I've ever said is that looking back, the injury history during the LBJ era makes me wonder at times. It was an older, high-risk roster. I think the break was a beneficial one, even if it came during unfortunate circumstances. I'm glad things worked out the way they did.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

Anyone who says yes should have * next to their name cause they're not real Lakers fans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: