Russian invasion of Ukraine discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 173, 174, 175  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Sen. Coons: NATO Aid & Training Has Helped Facilitate Ukraine’s Success)

Quote:
Senator Chris Coons (D-CT) joins Garrett Haake after finishing a series of meeting at NATO to discuss the effectiveness of the alliance’s support for Ukraine, as its come under criticism from the Ukrainian Foreign Minister. Senator Coons finds that criticism “puzzling,” citing the support the U.S. and other NATO allies have provided to Ukraine through training and military aid, like howitzer and the delivery of other advanced weapons that he says “has helped facilitate their success in pushing back against Putin's renewed aggression in the east, in the Donbas.”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Ex-CIA director: ‘Staggering’ cost to Russia in Mariupol)

Quote:
The commander of the Azov Regiment issued a video message from inside Mariupol's Azovstal steel plant saying that the top military leadership had "issued an order to preserve the garrison soldiers' life and health and stop defending the city." Former CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus (Ret.) discusses the cost of the battle for Mariupol with CNN’s Kate Bolduan.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Latest Russian Troop Movements: Ukrainian Troops 'Trading Ground For Time')

Quote:
NBC News national security analyst breaks down the latest Russian troop movements in Ukraine and says the Russian troops "don't believe in what they're doing" and "they don't believe in the plan."
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Three Signs Putin May Be Reassessing His Plans: Tom Nichols)

Quote:
"...[T]here are signs that some kind of Russian reassessment might be underway" in Ukraine, writes Tom Nichols in a new Atlantic piece. Nichols joins Morning Joe to discuss.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Can Putin Be Deposed? New Clues In War Crimes Trials, As Ukraine War Grinds On)

Quote:
A Russian soldier accused of shooting a defenseless Ukrainian civilian has been convicted of a war crime after pleading guilty. As the International Criminal Court investigates alleged Russian war crimes in Ukraine, President Biden has slammed Putin as a “war criminal” and his administration says it supports helping the ICC’s process by gathering evidence. Despite this, the Biden administration remains against fully joining the ICC. In this special report, MSNBC’s Ari Melber looks back on significant moments throughout history for lessons for trying war crimes in the present day. Melber also explains why the Biden administration wants to limit the Court, noting “if the rest of the world decides it wants to do more to stop Putin or hold him accountable… it will require even more sacrifice.”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

CNN

('I'm smiling': Ret. Lt. Gen. Hertling reacts to Putin news)

Quote:
Ret. Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling joins Ana Cabrera to discuss reports that Russian President Vladimir Putin is making tactical military decisions in Russia's months-long war in Ukraine.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject:

BBC News

(Russia’s bombardment of Ukraine's Donbas region – BBC News)

Quote:
Russia's army is advancing in the areas of eastern Ukraine and has taken some ground, according to Ukraine's military.

It said Russia has intensified its bombardment of the wider Donbas area, using heavy firepower to damage defences around the city of Donetsk.

Ukraine's President, Volodymyr Zelensky, said Russian forces have "completely destroyed" Donbas, adding: "It is hell there."
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Video shows firefight with Russian forces)

Quote:
Body camera footage shows a firefight between Ukrainian and Russian forces near Kharkiv, Ukraine.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(Retired general explains the difference in the Russian way of waging war)

Quote:
Retired Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling reacts to Russia’s continued attacks on Ukraine including a missile strike on a cultural center in the Kharkiv region of the country.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(Author on Putin’s invasion: ‘Worst misjudgment’ since Soviet Union collapse)

Quote:
Eurasia Group President Ian Bremmer joins CNN to explain why he calls the Russia-Ukraine conflict a “Goldilocks crisis.”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Satellite image leads to horrifying conclusion)

Quote:
The US company Planet is taking revealing satellite images of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. CNN's Gary Tuchman reports.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Woman drives truck to the front lines of Putin's invasion)

Quote:
Uliana Hileta is a graphic designer turned volunteer driver who drives refitted donated cars to the Ukrainian resistance forces fighting on the front lines. CNN's Suzanne Malveaux reports.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
‘It was hard to watch’

How Ukrainian journalists turned footage from a Russian soldier’s phone into a short documentary

7:57 am, May 20, 2022

On May 11, the online newspaper Ukrayinska Pravda released a short documentary called “The Occupant” (“Okupant,” in Ukrainian), which tells the story of a Russian lieutenant named Yury Shalaev. According to the newspaper, 24-year-old Shalaev served as the commander of a motorized rifle platoon in a military unit based in Shali, Chechnya. He was deployed to Ukraine on March 3, as part of Russia’s full-scale invasion — and he recorded his wartime experiences on his phone. Shalaev was taken prisoner in early April and the videos he recorded ended up in the hands of Ukrayinska Pravda. The newspaper’s journalists turned the recordings into a 24-minute documentary that offers a window into Shalaev’s life before and after his arrival in Ukraine. To find out more about the making of the film, Meduza sat down with journalist Mykhailo Tkach, the head of Ukrayinska Pravda’s investigations department.

Meduza

= =

The Occupant
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Former defense secretary breaks down Putin's 'big mistake')

Quote:
Former US Defense Secretary William Cohen reacts to reports that Russian President Vladimir Putin has taken on more tactical decision-making in the Russian invasion into Ukraine.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject:

I have to say, I really never thought they'd ever hold any Russian soldiers accountable. This is just a drop in the bucket, but it's at least a drop.

Russian sentenced to life in Ukraine’s 1st war crimes trial

A Russian soldier who pleaded guilty to killing a Ukrainian civilian was sentenced to life in prison on Monday in the first war crimes trial since Moscow invaded three months ago, unleashing a brutal conflict that has led to accusations of atrocities, left thousands dead, driven millions from their homes and flattened whole swaths of cities.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

Ukrainian intelligence chief: Putin survived assassination attempt 2 months ago

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukrainian-intelligence-chief-putin-survived-assassination-attempt-two-months-ago-124633685.html

Quote:
Speaking to the Ukrainian news outlet Pravda Ukraine, Maj. Gen. Kyrylo Budanov said there was an “unsuccessful” attempt against the Kremlin leader’s life at the start of Russia’s brutal invasion of its neighbor.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Concertgoers in Russia chant ‘F**k the war!’)

Quote:
Audience members at a Кис-Киc (Kis-Kis) concert in St. Petersburg were seen chanting “F**k the war!” according to a video shared online, which was verified by CNN.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Putin Pushing Europe In Direction Of Clean Energy, Says European Commission President)

Quote:
President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen talks with Mika Brzezinski about sanctions against Russia, how Putin is pushing Europe toward renewable, clean energy and getting rid of Russian fossil fuels over time.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I have to say, I really never thought they'd ever hold any Russian soldiers accountable. This is just a drop in the bucket, but it's at least a drop.

A Russian soldier who pleaded guilty to killing a Ukrainian civilian was sentenced to life in prison on Monday in the first war crimes trial since Moscow invaded three months ago, unleashing a brutal conflict that has led to accusations of atrocities, left thousands dead, driven millions from their homes and flattened whole swaths of cities.

I’m thankful for the justice, but at the same time, I have some empathy for the situation such soldiers are placed in, where if they don’t comply they get shot. Even in our own country, an enlisted man can be charged with a crime for following a direct order from an officer, but he can also be charged and even summarily executed for not.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Ukrainian intelligence chief: Putin survived assassination attempt 2 months ago

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukrainian-intelligence-chief-putin-survived-assassination-attempt-two-months-ago-124633685.html

Quote:
Speaking to the Ukrainian news outlet Pravda Ukraine, Maj. Gen. Kyrylo Budanov said there was an “unsuccessful” attempt against the Kremlin leader’s life at the start of Russia’s brutal invasion of its neighbor.

If at first you don’t succeed . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I’m thankful for the justice, but at the same time, I have some empathy for the situation such soldiers are placed in, where if they don’t comply they get shot. Even in our own country, an enlisted man can be charged with a crime for following a direct order from an officer, but he can also be charged and even summarily executed for not.

Whike that’s certainly a very real dilemma, to my mind, committing a war crime of like the cold blooded murder of an innocent civilian simply to save my own skin is a non-starter. I’d rather be dead than spend the rest of my days looking in a mirror and seeing a cowardly murderer.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Whike that’s certainly a very real dilemma, to my mind, committing a war crime of like the cold blooded murder of an innocent civilian simply to save my own skin is a non-starter. I’d rather be dead than spend the rest of my days looking in a mirror and seeing a cowardly murderer.

I like to feel the same way, but that’s a very strong ask if the average person. People tend to die for people and causes they love, but have a hard time choosing death over a dishonorable act in the midst of carnage. It’s the horror visited on the soldiers as well as by them. It is why so many suffer so much afterward.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I have no words . . .

A 1-year-old boy died after being raped by 2 Russian soldiers, Ukraine says

https://www.businessinsider.com/1-year-old-died-rape-russian-soldiers-ukraine-ombudsman-said-2022-5?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T&utm_source=reddit.com
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
I have no words . . .

A 1-year-old boy died after being raped by 2 Russian soldiers, Ukraine says

https://www.businessinsider.com/1-year-old-died-rape-russian-soldiers-ukraine-ombudsman-said-2022-5?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T&utm_source=reddit.com

That's just perverted and wrong on so many levels.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

Russia Scrambles for Soldiers Amid Ukraine War Manpower Shortage

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/05/23/russia-scrambles-for-soldiers-amid-ukraine-war-manpower-shortage-a77750

Quote:
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which has been fought on multiple fronts in the face of a spirited Ukrainian defense, has severely depleted Moscow’s infantry reserves, analysts say, and military officials are rushing to plug the hole.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 173, 174, 175  Next
Page 124 of 175
Jump to: