Lakers Salary Cap / CBA Q&A (please see pg 15 for 2023 version)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yinoma had this question.

If we re-sign Monk via the MMLE, we then have his early bird rights for 2023 summer, to keep him on a longterm deal to a certain degree.

If we traded him in season, would those early bird rights transfer to his new team?

Is there a way we could keep Monk and also get some early bird rights after 2 years, that would be able to transfer via a trade if Monk got dealt in the coming season?

vasashi please verify, but Early-bird rights are trade-able just like Bird rights.
So if he's traded before 2023 summer he will keep his Early Bird rights with the new team in Summer 2023.
However he may lose his Bird rights on the trade if his MMLE deal was 1 or 1+option.

Exactly right my dude!
TL;dr: a player who is working on early/full bird rights that signs a de facto 1yr expiring deal gains a NTC within their new deal and upon waiving that right to get traded to a new team, forfeits their bird rights in the process.

Monk is currently a non-bird player, so any new deal he signs this summer with us making him an early bird player (ie 1yr deal) or full bird player (ie 1+1 aka can become a 2yr deal) with us will give him bird restriction rights.

He essentially can restrict other teams from acquiring his bird rights via the use of a built-in no-trade clause (NTC) into his 1yr or 1+1yr deal.

The workaround would be that if he signed a 1+1 with us this summer, the team that trades for him could acquire his bird rights if he consents & opts into that option year (ie making it a 2yr deal) prior to getting traded to his new team. So if the goal is to trade him to a team that can acquire his bird rights as quick as possible, his new deal he signs with us cannot be a 1yr deal or a S&t 3yr deal (where only 1st year is guaranteed)…it has to be a 1+1 deal (where he agrees to opt in early on the 2nd yr) and/or a guaranteed 2yr deal that must be inked this summer with us before we can trade him away post Dec 15th heading into next season’s trade deadline.

yinoma2001 wrote:
Another question, what if the Lakers worked out something with Russ, that would allow him to recoup his 47m but in a new 3 year extension at 45m (15m/year) with the understanding he would be bought out and stretched.

When is the soonest the Lakers could do that (buy out and stretch after a new deal)? I only ask b/c wouldn't that allow the stretch to be over something like 7 years, so 6.4m/year for 7 years instead of 15-16m/year for 3 years?

Clever fella

I believe Pincus had a similar idea with Deng (ie extend him at a lower number) to drop his annual stretched cap hit.

Other than running the very real risk where the league takes a look into possible cap circumvention within our organization, which was corrupted previously with Rob’s 500k tampering misconduct…we could entertain this thought where we sign and waive Russ’s 3yr/45m deal prior to Sept 1st 2022 which would make it a 6.43m annual cap corpse over the next 7 seasons.

Or we make it less obvious (the cap circumvention, that is) and stretch-waive him after Sept 1st, so that he represents a 15m cap corpse for the 2022/23 cap sheet before turning into an annual 6m cap hit for the next 5 seasons starting the 2023/24 season.

Hope that answers y’all’s questions.

Question for the resident cap master ...

Do you see a path to acquiring LaVine in a S&T? Like could we do two moves--first Russ with a pick to OKC for cap relief (Favors, Williams return) and then could we take LaVine into that TPE created? Can you use a TPE in a sign & trade? If you do, can you also send salary out (e.g., Favors/Nunn/THT)?
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:

<snip>
If you do, can you also send salary out (e.g., Favors/Nunn/THT)?

I can answer this part, no a TPE can't be combined with salaries or other TPE's.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:

<snip>
If you do, can you also send salary out (e.g., Favors/Nunn/THT)?

I can answer this part, no a TPE can't be combined with salaries or other TPE's.

No, I mean send out salary. As in Nunn/THT are only 15M and not enough for a even slightly below max LaVine ... so we could use a huge TPE from an OKC deal, but does that restrict us from sending BACK salary?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

@CMJ: Like TPD said, we can’t aggregate TPEs with existing contracts or other TPEs. However, we could trade THT/Nunn into any of Chicago’s potential cap space and/or existing TPEs.

A quick look at their books shows their Zach caphold to use in a S&t pretty much caps them out. So turning to their TPEs, they have one for 5m from the Theis trade (expiring on 7/7) which would allow them to bring in as much as 5.1m in salary. Unfortunately that amount is just short of absorbing Nunn’s 5.25m expiring deal.

But the overall answer to your question is yes, we could create a large enough TPE to absorb Zach’s S&T deal into. Just recall how we did something similar by dumping LO to the Mavs & then using our LO TPE to entirely absorb a S&T’d Nash into from the Suns.

Couple things to note though: OKC currently can absorb cap since they coujd use the 2021/22 books which reflect SGA’s non extension salary. However, when the cap calendar flips on June 30th to reflect the 2022/23 books, SGA’s extension kicks in and Okc will be capped out. So any Russ dump into their cap space has to happen before June 30th and any incoming salary from Okc has to be with a player not becoming a FA this coming offseason. So for example Favors would have to opt into his final year to be counted as incoming salary for us.

FYI: if you’re interested, I worked out the details of how a Russ salary dump to Okc deal could work in my exchange with VLF on page 3 of this thread.

https://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=191415&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

And of course the final note is that absorbing a S&t’d player onto our books results in us being hard capped at about 155m, where team salary can under no circumstance breach that amount ever during the entire 2022/23 season.

As just your friendly neighborhood cap enthusiast, I hope that answers it for you bro.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
@CMJ: Like TPD said, we can’t aggregate TPEs with existing contracts or other TPEs. However, we could trade THT/Nunn into any of Chicago’s potential cap space and/or existing TPEs.

A quick look at their books shows their Zach caphold to use in a S&t pretty much caps them out. So turning to their TPEs, they have one for 5m from the Theis trade (expiring on 7/7) which would allow them to bring in as much as 5.1m in salary. Unfortunately that amount is just short of absorbing Nunn’s 5.25m expiring deal.

But the overall answer to your question is yes, we could create a large enough TPE to absorb Zach’s S&T deal into. Just recall how we did something similar by dumping LO to the Mavs & then using our LO TPE to entirely absorb a S&T’d Nash into from the Suns.

Couple things to note though: OKC currently can absorb cap since they coujd use the 2021/22 books which reflect SGA’s non extension salary. However, when the cap calendar flips on June 30th to reflect the 2022/23 books, SGA’s extension kicks in and Okc will be capped out. So any Russ dump into their cap space has to happen before June 30th and any incoming salary from Okc has to be with a player not becoming a FA this coming offseason. So for example Favors would have to opt into his final year to be counted as incoming salary for us.

FYI: if you’re interested, I worked out the details of how a Russ salary dump to Okc deal could work in my exchange with VLF on page 3 of this thread.

https://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=191415&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

And of course the final note is that absorbing a S&t’d player onto our books results in us being hard capped at about 155m, where team salary can under no circumstance breach that amount ever during the entire 2022/23 season.

As just your friendly neighborhood cap enthusiast, I hope that answers it for you bro.

Super helpful. Thanks! So, we could send Russ and draft comp to OKC with an eye towards creating the biggest TPE possible. Then try to trade Favors, THT and Nunn for whatever draft assets we can get ... and re-route those to Chicago in exchange for LaVine starting at ~$34M (I'm guessing with an early opt-out, so he can get paid again). It's almost possible to do that and still have access to the BAE and MLE (somewhat!).
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject:

<snip>
Then try to trade Favors, THT and Nunn for whatever draft assets we can get ... and re-route those to Chicago in exchange for LaVine starting at ~$34M (I'm guessing with an early opt-out, so he can get paid again). It's almost possible to do that and still have access to the BAE and MLE (somewhat!).

I'll defer to vasashi (always happy to learn something new), but this is not allowed as per my original post. Nothing can be sent out as part of the TPE transaction, not draft assets, not players, not salaries. The only thing a TPE can be used for is to absorb 1 or more players whose salaries add up to no more than the size of the TPE (roughly speaking)
Now of course, draft assets can be sent out in a separate deal to Chicago but then Chicago will have to send something back.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:

<snip>
Then try to trade Favors, THT and Nunn for whatever draft assets we can get ... and re-route those to Chicago in exchange for LaVine starting at ~$34M (I'm guessing with an early opt-out, so he can get paid again). It's almost possible to do that and still have access to the BAE and MLE (somewhat!).

I'll defer to vasashi (always happy to learn something new), but this is not allowed as per my original post. Nothing can be sent out as part of the TPE transaction, not draft assets, not players, not salaries. The only thing a TPE can be used for is to absorb 1 or more players whose salaries add up to no more than the size of the TPE (roughly speaking)
Now of course, draft assets can be sent out in a separate deal to Chicago but then Chicago will have to send something back.

I defer to our experts as well, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Otherwise, what would incentivize the team trading the player to make the deal? Thinking back to last off-season, didn't Boston acquire Fournier into the Hayward TPE and send the Magic two 2RPs as comp? I thought that was all part of the same deal, but maybe I'm wrong.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:

<snip>

I defer to our experts as well, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Otherwise, what would incentivize the team trading the player to make the deal? Thinking back to last off-season, didn't Boston acquire Fournier into the Hayward TPE and send the Magic two 2RPs as comp? I thought that was all part of the same deal, but maybe I'm wrong.

You're absolutely right, I stand corrected; Yes, picks/cash considerations can be part of the TPE transaction. Thanks for the "push", I learnt something new.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

<snip>

You're absolutely right, I stand corrected; Yes, picks/cash considerations can be part of the TPE transaction. Thanks for the "push", I learnt something new.

All good, I'm trying to learn here, too (and maybe I'm still wrong?). I'm trying to concoct some crazy-ass off-season plan to see what's even possible, but I really doubt anything this complicated comes together.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject:

^Sorry that I didn’t get to this sooner fellas, but it looks like y’all already figured it out. Both of you are right in that TPEs can’t be aggregated with each other or with other salaried players, but can be used to absorb a player’s contract while sending out other incentives like draft capital, non contracted players (ie players’ rights) and/or cash.

So essentially if you have a large enough TPE, you can send absorb a large deal or many player deals into it while only sending out draft capital to get it done.

CMJ, so you’re essentially proposing to do a non-simultaneous trade using Russ’s deal to develop a large enough TPE (using the 2021/22 books) to later flip for a S&t’d LaVine on a near max deal (using 2022/23 books), right?

Basically, Okc would trade for draft capital by using their nearly 30m+ in cap space to absorb the majority of Russ’s deal (fyi nearly 12m would be necessary for Okc to trade either to us or Chicago for this trade format to work ie Okc needs to conclude the trade with a team salary of 112.5m or lower - a team with cap space can use up that space to trade for a player(s) as long as they don’t go 100k over the salary cap for that season (ie 112.4m)

Meanwhile Chicago would take in THT, assets from Okc & further draft capital to S&t LaVine while easing their tax hit.

We would acquire a S&t’d Zach at about 30m and need to avoid the cap apron (155m) from that point on…

Bron 44.5m
AD 38m
Zach 30m
ntpMLE 10.3m
BAE 4m
…would place us around ~130m in team salary not including the ~24m thats accounted for towards Okc’s 12m in offloaded player deals along with Nunn, Gabriel, Reaves & Stan (who may or may not be outbound in the trade

So it would be possible to do all this and still remain under the apron.

Hope that answers your question CMJ…but imho bro this possibility can’t really get moving unless Zach grabs the klutch and drives this deal thru using AD’s “that’s all folks” playbook.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^Sorry that I didn’t get to this sooner fellas, but it looks like y’all already figured it out. Both of you are right in that TPEs can’t be aggregated with each other or with other salaried players, but can be used to absorb a player’s contract while sending out other incentives like draft capital, non contracted players (ie players’ rights) and/or cash.

So essentially if you have a large enough TPE, you can send absorb a large deal or many player deals into it while only sending out draft capital to get it done.

CMJ, so you’re essentially proposing to do a non-simultaneous trade using Russ’s deal to develop a large enough TPE (using the 2021/22 books) to later flip for a S&t’d LaVine on a near max deal (using 2022/23 books), right?

Basically, Okc would trade for draft capital by using their nearly 30m+ in cap space to absorb the majority of Russ’s deal (fyi nearly 12m would be necessary for Okc to trade either to us or Chicago for this trade format to work ie Okc needs to conclude the trade with a team salary of 112.5m or lower - a team with cap space can use up that space to trade for a player(s) as long as they don’t go 100k over the salary cap for that season (ie 112.4m)

Meanwhile Chicago would take in THT, assets from Okc & further draft capital to S&t LaVine while easing their tax hit.

We would acquire a S&t’d Zach at about 30m and need to avoid the cap apron (155m) from that point on…

Bron 44.5m
AD 38m
Zach 30m
ntpMLE 10.3m
BAE 4m
…would place us around ~130m in team salary not including the ~24m thats accounted for towards Okc’s 12m in offloaded player deals along with Nunn, Gabriel, Reaves & Stan (who may or may not be outbound in the trade

So it would be possible to do all this and still remain under the apron.

Hope that answers your question CMJ…but imho bro this possibility can’t really get moving unless Zach grabs the klutch and drives this deal thru using AD’s “that’s all folks” playbook.

Thanks Vas.

I agree the likelihood of this deal is low ... I was just confused seeing some LaVine to LAL rumors and wanted to see how it could possibly work out. It seems like the ball's in Chicago's court--they can supermax him or I'm guessing he's gone--and I really doubt they supermax him. If he's on the lookout for a new team, his options in FA for teams that can sign him outright are limited, thus, S&T is likely the only legit option to bring him to a contending team that he might actually prefer. Once you logically make it to that conclusion, it's possible, but, I agree, unlikely.

Still, I think this might be a best case scenario for us ... new big 3 with some roster flexibility to go out and sign some depth, while (likely) retaining the ability to keep HBK, Stanley Johnson and, if you want him, Wenyen Gabriel. Not bad. Although, on the flipside, you likely lose THT and the 2027/29 FRPs.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject:

CMJ: you’re welcome my guy.

LaVine is rumored to be using Portland as a cap-having team (~25m) to drive his asking price up in Chicago, so I’m sure dude will use Klutch to get him a bag, but they also did have AD waive his trade kicker to come here…so you just never know what Zach will do to come back home. Hopefully this time tho, they take the time out to learn from what Zo did and save the cost of giving up picks by announcing any S&t deal till after the free agency bell rings.

https://tenor.com/1ZLr.gif

Anyways, Pincus wrote an article recently detailing this trade proposal as a possible route we could take this summer, so check it out if you haven’t already.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10035583-could-the-lakers-realistically-get-zach-lavine-its-a-long-shot-but-its-possible

Would love Zach to come back home to LA tho. Try to squeeze / w-ring whatever we can outta Bron/Klutch till we go clean slate & get back to reBelding, uh rebuilding again once Bron is gone.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
CMJ: you’re welcome my guy.

LaVine is rumored to be using Portland as a cap-having team (~25m) to drive his asking price up in Chicago, so I’m sure dude will use Klutch to get him a bag, but they also did have AD waive his trade kicker to come here…so you just never know what Zach will do to come back home. Hopefully this time tho, they take the time out to learn from what Zo did and save the cost of giving up picks by announcing any S&t deal till after the free agency bell rings.

https://tenor.com/1ZLr.gif

Anyways, Pincus wrote an article recently detailing this trade proposal as a possible route we could take this summer, so check it out if you haven’t already.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10035583-could-the-lakers-realistically-get-zach-lavine-its-a-long-shot-but-its-possible

Would love Zach to come back home to LA tho. Try to squeeze / w-ring whatever we can outta Bron/Klutch till we go clean slate & get back to reBelding, uh rebuilding again once Bron is gone.

I did not see that Pincus article yet, thanks for sharing. So, I think we came up with the likeliest albeit most difficult route of acquiring LaVine first by just a few days! (kidding).

On one hand, I don't think we have enough draft capital to pull off both deals, but, on the other hand, being so ham-strung makes it easier for us to deal. Basically, we have two FRP and one can go to each team and there's not much more they can squeeze out of us ... either that's enough to get OKC/Chi enticed or it isn't. With that said, I have no confidence in Rob pulling off such a complex deal.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

^CMJ: One of the dominoes that had to fall, did fall for this particular scenario to play out.

Quote:
Shams: Oklahoma City Thunder center Derrick Favors has opted into his $10.2 million player option for the 2022-23 season, sources tell
@TheAthletic @Stadium.

So as of right now, OKC has 31.4m in cap space for their 2021/22 books, with Favors no longer being an expiring contract and therefore eligible to trade as a 9.7m contract.

Recall Okc can use their available cap space and go 100k over the salary cap in order to create a deal where they absorb the majority of Russ’s 44.2m and then send out the difference in salaries to make it legal. So using a potential 31.5m in space to take in Russ’s 44.2m deal, OKC would have to send back 12.7m in salary at a minimum. Favors/Musc aggregate to 13.2m with Musc having a 3.5m team option towards the 2022/23 season.

So the basic structure of a Russ dump to Okc would be Russ for Favors/Musc & we would create a 31m TPE in the process.

Things to note is that Russ and Musc’s options would need to be picked up before this potential trade could go thru & the ability to trade our 2029 1st wound not be available to us till the 2021/22 season concludes. So essentially we are locked out from trading that pick in this particular scenario, however we could still involve some combo of our 2027/28 1st rounders going out as swaps &/or (un)conditional picks.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the thread! It's that time of year again.

If a player like Ayton gets sign and traded at say the max, what would his outgoing salary match be? Sorry if answered.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Thanks for the thread! It's that time of year again.

If a player like Ayton gets sign and traded at say the max, what would his outgoing salary match be? Sorry if answered.

Yep, it certainly is that time and I’ll be happy fielding questions in this thread, hopefully getting to all of em in a timely manner. That being said, there are plenty of cap heads here, so I hope others can chip in towards answering questions as soon as they come in so that folks won’t have to entirely rely on my slow ass

So when it comes to a RFA like Ayton, a lot of scenarios can happen.

First, if he signs the Suns QO to remain a RFA of theirs, the team that signs him to an offer sheet cannot later trade for him (for this coming season) if the Suns match their offer. So if another team really wants Ayton, they better hope the Suns don’t match, cause the essentially get locked out from trading for dude for up to a year. They will only be able to trade for him after the 2022/23 season. This obviously also limits tge Suns from trading Ayton to that team later this year if their intention was to match and then trade him in order to not lose him for nothing.

As for matching and trading Ayton later this season, the Suns can do so with the other 28 teams (who Ayton did not sign an offer sheet with), as long as Ayton consents to the trade. Ayton essentially has a no-trade clause (NTC) for this coming season if he signs an offer sheet and the Suns match (just recall he can’t be traded to the team he signs an offer sheet with for this coming year).

If Ayton rather become an UFA instead, he can either force the Suns to let him out a year early a la Julius Randle circa 2018…or he can sign the Suns 1yr QO to become a UFA the following summer in 2023. If he chooses to sign the 1yr QO, he will also carry a NTC for this coming year and if he consents on getting traded as an expiring g contract, his new team will not acquire his bird rights. Essentially, he will forfeit his bird rights and a bigger bag if he consents to get traded to a team that does not project your have a generous amount if cap space in 2023.

If the Suns designate Ayton as a rookie max player (Book already has one of those 2 spots), Ayton is i eligible to get traded this coming season.

If Ayton gets an extension just short of a max bag, he is ineligible to get traded for 6 months.

He can also be part of a S&t deal, but would also have to agree to get less of a bag under this format (ie less years in length (3-4 vs 5-6) and less in annual raises (5% vs 8%).

As for salary matching in a trade, it only gets tricky under a S&t scenario. If Ayton makes anything north of 15m next season (>120% of current deal), he will be considered BYC and will count as either 12.6m or 50% of what his new year deal is, whichever is greater, as outgoing salary.

So for example, if his new deal is greater than 25.2m, he will count as 50% of that salary in any outbound salary matching equation for the Suns. If his new deal is less than 25.2m, he will count as 12.6m in outbound salary for the Suns. Where it gets complicated, is that the team trading for him will see him as whatever his deal is as incoming salary in any salary matching equation. So things could get complicated if you don’t have the right deals to make the money work. As you can see, that is why a 3rd team usually gets involved to make the salary matching work if any BYC player is ever involved.

Of course none of that BYC salary matching shenanigans matter if Ayton signs & gets traded later (ie not a S&t but rather a S&t2bm aka sign & trade to be made closer to the season’s trade deadline after waiting the restricted allotted time.)

Hope that answers your question bro.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Wed May 18, 2022 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

What's our cap situation if by some miracle (The new coach coming in turns WB off so much with I'm bringing you off the bench) if WB opts out?

We can S+T him yes, as we have his bird rights?

Bron
AD
THT
Nunn
Stanley
Reaves
Gabriel
+ roster spots holds

This should give us enough to use a full MLE, a BAE etc right?

If we sign and traded WB, say to somewhere like the Knicks, wonder if this would make some sense to the Lakers. Teams don't have any value for WB at 47M, but if he's making 18M, maybe he has some value. And for us, doing a trade where we bring in an 18M player for WB, it does hard cap us, but it allows us to spend the MLE, BAE etc.

The whole thing is a fantasy likely based on 3 things

1) New coach making it clear WB would not start
2) WB demanding a trade, seeing there is no trade so best course is opt out.
3) There is a team that has some sign and trade interest in WB at a lower base salary amount for 3 years (Knicks, hi).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject:

^@Wolf: Below is a portion of the Q&A (from page 4 in this thread) that should apply to your general question.

Quote:
What does our current cap sheet (as of April 8th 2022) look like and what exceptions will be available to us as a result?
First off, no more Deng corpse on our books…Yay! And I will not entertain a Russ stretch-waive corpse…at least for now I won’t! Please let me have this haha

1) Russ (Player Option) 47.1m
2) Bron 44.5m
3) AD 38m
4) THT 10.3m
5) Nunn (PO) 5.3m
6) Stanley (Team Option) 2.4m
7) Gabriel (TO) 2m
8) Reaves (TO; nonguaranteed) 1.6m
= team salary of 151.2m on a projected 122m salary cap & a hard cap (ie cap apron) of 155.2m

As you can see we are already past the salary cap, well into the tax and have roughly 4m in wiggle before we hit the apron…and that’s with only 8 on the roster and needing to still fill out 6-7 more roster spots. So if we stay as is, it’s safe to say we will not be using the hardcap triggering ~10.3m ntpMLE, ~4m BAE and/or committing to a trade that has an incoming S&t’d player hitting our books (more on that below).

We will only have the ~6.4m tpMLE available to use.

How much cap space do we have if we option out of/waive/renounce everyone so that our team salary is just players with already guaranteed money (ie Bron/AD/THT)?
Bron: 44.5m
AD: 38m
THT: 10.3m
9 incomplete roster charges: 9m
= 101.8m in team salary, which means 20.2m in potential cap space + the 5.4m room exception

Since you brought up S&t’ing Russ, it reminded me to clarify certain things regarding BYC triggering S&t scenarios, so I made the appropriate edit to my post above in regards to an Ayton S&t and how it impacted salary matching after BYC was triggered. Hope @epic & the rest of you check out the edit above if you already haven’t.

Wolf, getting back to your S&t question on Russ…yes, we could also S&t him on a lower salary hit if he consents. Unlike Ayton however, Russ is already on a max deal, so lowering his cap hit via a new S&t would not trigger BYC condition and so the unique salary conditions that get triggered under that format would not apply here with Russ.

Also remember that the act of S&t’ing Russ does not trigger the hardcap for us. The hardcap only gets triggered if we use the ntpMLE and/or the BAE and/or bring in a S&t’d player onto our books. So whatever team that brings in Russ on a new S&t deal would be hard-capped at ~155m. We wouldn’t be since the S&t’d player would not be on our salary sheet after the trade was conducted.

So for your hypothetical…

Bron 44.5m
AD 38m
Incoming players (let’s assume it’s 1 player) via Russ S&t 18m
THT 10.3m
Hard cap triggering ntpMLE (assuming it all goes to 1 player) 10.3m
Nunn 5.3m
Hard cap triggering BAE (assuming it all goes to 1 player) 4m
Stanley 2.4m
Gabriel 2m
Reaves 1.6m
5 (2+ seasoned) vet min deals (@ 1.81m per) 9.1m
=145.5m in team salary for a maxed out 15 man roster with roughly 10m in wiggle before hitting the cap apron
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Vas, always appreciate you for the time and detained answers!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Vas, always appreciate you for the time and detained answers!

He's a big time asset to this site. And he schooled me on Pelinka. I had the nerve to defend Pelinka all summer last year based on his championship success, but V saw all this BS coming.

Good man, and smart poster. Props.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject:

^Thanks fellas! Means a lot coming from distinguished members that I appreciate and respect as well.

As for it being that time of year again, Bobby’s right in time & put together some basic offseason primer for all 30 teams in the league.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES LAKERS

Offseason focus

Finding a new head coach

What are the options with Russell Westbrook?

The LeBron James extension: Two years, $97.1 million starting Aug. 4

Evaluate Anthony Davis

Look for youth on bargain contracts in free agency (tax midlevel and veterans minimum)

Draft assets

Future: The Pelicans have the right to swap in 2023 and an unprotected first via Los Angeles in 2024. The Pelicans have the right to defer the 2024 first-rounder until 2025. The Lakers are allowed to trade a first-round pick in 2027 and 2029.

Cash: $4.4 million (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Lakers are right at the luxury tax with $150 million in salary. Because they are at the tax, the Lakers will have the $6.4 million tax midlevel exception. They also have a $2.7 and $1.7 million trade exception.

Kendrick Nunn has until June 22 to opt in to his $5.3 million contract. Westbrook has until June 29 to opt in to his $47.1 million contract.

Davis and James have a 15% trade bonus. The bonus for Davis is $8.7 million if traded after July 1.

Projected depth chart

Los Angeles Lakers Depth Chart
PG SG SF PF C
R. Westbrook A. ReavesNG L. James S. JohnsonT A. Davis
K. NunnP T. Horton-Tucker W. GabrielT
P=Player option
T=Team option
NG=Non-guaranteed

Team needs

Playmaking point guard

Starting shooting guard

Depth at every position

Extension eligible: James (as of Aug. 4) and Westbrook

Free-agent status

Russell Westbrook | Player | Bird

Kendrick Nunn | Player | Non Bird

Wayne Ellington | Non Bird

Dwight Howard | Non Bird

Kent Bazemore | Non Bird

Malik Monk | Non Bird

Carmelo Anthony | Non Bird

DJ Augustin | Non Bird

Mason Jones | Restricted | Non Bird

Mac McClung | Restricted | Non Bird

Wenyen Gabriel | Restricted | Non Bird

Quote:
ATLANTA HAWKS

Offseason focus

What is the Hawks' appetite for paying the luxury tax? Atlanta can go under but at the expense of Danilo Gallinari. Does the front office have the authority to use the $6.3 million tax mid-level exception?

The rookie extension of De'Andre Hunter: cap relief in 2023-24 (year one of the extension) when Gallinari is off the books

Defensive-minded free agents to surround Trae Young

Draft assets

First: No. 16

Second: No. 44

Future: The Hawks own all of their future first-round picks. They have a 2023 first from Charlotte (top-16 protected). The pick is lottery-protected in 2024 and 2025 if not conveyed. It will turn into a 2026 and 2027 Charlotte second if not received.

Cash: $4.9 million (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Atlanta will enter the offseason $1.7 million over the luxury tax if it retains Gallinari. The forward has $5 million guaranteed with the remaining balance of $16.5 million fully protected if he is not waived by June 29. If Gallinari is waived, Atlanta will have the $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exceptions. If he is on the roster, the exception decreases to $6.4 million. The Hawks also have $1.7 and $1.8 million trade exceptions.

Bogdan Bogdanovic has a 15% trade bonus in his contract that has a value of $2.7 million.

Team needs

Defensive-minded backup point guard and wing

Extension-eligible: Bogdan Bogdanovic, Danilo Gallinari and DeAndre Hunter (rookie)

Free-agent status

Delon Wright | Bird

Lou Williams | Bird

Gorgui Dieng | Non Bird

Kevin Knox | Restricted | Non Bird

Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot | Non Bird

Sharife Cooper | Restricted | Non Bird

Skylar Mays | Restricted | Early Bird

BOSTON CELTICS

Offseason focus

The Jaylen Brown extension options: three years, $119 million is the max allowed

The Al Horford expiring contract: Boston becomes a tax team with Horford on the roster

The rookie extension options for Grant Williams

Does Boston have the green light to use their exceptions? (Boston could have a $6.4 million tax midlevel and $17.2, $9.7, $6.9 and $3.8 million trade exceptions).

Draft assets

Second: No. 53

Future: Boston is allowed to trade a 2023 first starting the night of the draft. The Spurs have the right to swap firsts in 2028 (top-1 protected).

Cash: $0 (to send) | $5.7 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Boston has $155.9 million in salary and can duck under the $149 million luxury tax. To do so, the Celtics would need to waive Horford. The veteran has a $26.5 million salary for 2022-23, but only $14.5 million is guaranteed. If the Celtics stay over the tax, they will then have the $6.4 million tax midlevel.

The Celtics have four players who have either a team option or an offseason guaranteed date. If the $1.6 million team option of Sam Hauser is exercised, $300K of his contract would be guaranteed. Nik Stauskas' $2.2 million contract becomes guaranteed if he is on the roster past July 15. Malik Fitts will receive $50K if he is on the roster past September. There is no guaranteed date in the $1.8 million contract of Juwan Morgan.

Jayson Tatum has a 15% trade bonus that would get voided. Marcus Smart has a trade bonus of less than $1 million and 15% of his total salary. If Smart is traded in the offseason, he would get $1 million.

Boston has four trade exceptions worth more than $3.8 million ($17.2, $9.7, $6.9 and $3.8 million)

Team needs

Backup small forward

Extension eligible: Jaylen Brown (as of Oct. 1), Horford and Grant Williams (rookie)

Free-agent status

Luke Kornet | Non Bird

Brodric Thomas | Restricted | Non Bird

Matt Ryan | Restricted | Non Bird

BROOKLYN NETS

Offseason focus

The Kyrie Irving contract: He is eligible for a five-year, $248 million contract (if he declines his player option)

The extensions: Ben Simmons and Seth Curry

The resources to retool the bench: trade exceptions, a $6.4 million tax midlevel and their own free agents. Does the front office have the authority to spend?

Draft assets

First: No. 23 (can defer to 2023)

Future: Brooklyn has a 2022 first from Philadelphia, with the right to defer the pick until 2023. It also has a 2027 or 2028 top-eight-protected first from the 76ers. The pick is conditional upon Philadelphia sending Oklahoma City a first in either 2025 or 2026. The Nets owe Houston unprotected first-round picks in 2022, 2024 and 2026. The Rockets have the right to swap firsts in 2023, 2025 and 2027. The Nets are allowed to trade either pick from Philadelphia along with their 2028 first.

Cash: $0 (to send) | $3.7 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Including the $36.9 million player option of Irving, Brooklyn has $158 million in guaranteed contracts and is projected to be over the luxury tax. Because the Nets are in the tax, they will have a $6.4 million tax midlevel exception.

Irving and Patty Mills both have until June 29 to opt in to their contracts. Brooklyn has until June 29 to exercise the $1.6 million contract of Kessler Edwards.

Brooklyn has five trade exceptions: $11.3, $6.3, $3.3, $1.7 and $1.3 million.

Team needs

Rim protector at center

Backup point guard if Mills becomes a free agent

A healthy Joe Harris and Simmons

Wing defender

Depth at power forward and center

Extension eligible: Irving, Curry, (as of Aug. 11), Simmons (as of Aug. 11) and Joe Harris

Free-agent status

Kyrie Irving | Player | Bird

Patty Mills | Player | Non Bird

Bruce Brown | Bird

Goran Dragic | Non Bird

Blake Griffin | Early Bird

Nic Claxton | Restricted | Bird

Andre Drummond | Non Bird

LaMarcus Aldridge | Early Bird

Kessler Edwards | Team |Restricted | Non Bird

David Duke |Restricted | Non Bird

CHARLOTTE HORNETS

Offseason focus

The direction at head coach (James Borrego was fired on April 22)

The draft: Two picks in the top 15

The restricted free agency of Miles Bridges

Can the current roster become more than a play-in contender? The Hornets are currently over the cap with 11 players under contract.

The extension options for P.J. Washington

How to upgrade at center? Is their lottery pick expendable?

Draft assets

First: No. 13, No. 15

Second: No. 45

Future: The Hornets owe Atlanta a top-16-protected first in 2023. The pick is top-14 protected in 2024 and 2025. If not conveyed in any of the three seasons, the Hornets will send a 2026 and 2027 second to Atlanta.

Cash: $5.6 million (to send) | $3.6 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Hornets have $100 million in guaranteed contracts but are over the $122 million salary cap because of the free-agent hold of Bridges, two first-round picks and $15.6 million in partially guaranteed contracts.

Charlotte has four players -- Kelly Oubre Jr., Mason Plumlee, Jalen McDaniels and Nick Richards -- who have partially guaranteed contracts with trigger dates. The $8.5 million contract ($4.3 million is guaranteed) of Plumlee becomes guaranteed on June 21. The $12 million contract of Oubre ($5 million of protection) becomes fully guaranteed if he is not waived by June 30. Richards' $1.8 million contract becomes guaranteed on July 7. If the team option for McDaniels is exercised, his $1.9 million contract will become guaranteed on Aug. 1.

Charlotte has a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exceptions.

Gordon Hayward has a 15% trade bonus. He would receive $9.2 million if traded in the offseason.

Team needs

Starting center

James Bouknight to develop into a rotational player

Backup point guard

Extension-eligible: Washington (rookie), McDaniels, Hayward, Plumlee and Richards

Free-agent status

Miles Bridges | Restricted | Bird

Montrezl Harrell | Early Bird

Isaiah Thomas | Non Bird

Jalen McDaniels | Team | Restricted | Bird

Cody Martin | Restricted | Bird

Scottie Lewis | Restricted | Non Bird

Arnoldas Kulboka | Restricted | Non Bird

CHICAGO BULLS

Offseason focus

The upside of the roster when healthy? Chicago went 27-13 before Lonzo Ball's injury.

The free agency of Zach LaVine: The All-Star is eligible for a five-year, $212 million max contract

The extension options for Nikola Vucevic and Coby White

Draft assets

First: No. 18

Future: The Bulls owe Orlando a top-four-protected first in 2023. It is top-three protected in 2024. Chicago will send San Antonio a top-10-protected first in 2025 if the pick to Orlando is conveyed in 2023. If the first to the Magic is not sent, Chicago would then send San Antonio a top-10-protected first in 2026, but only if the Magic receive a first in 2024. If the conditions were already settled in the prior season, the pick is top-eight protected. If the pick was not conveyed in 2025 and 2026, the Bulls would send a top-eight-protected first in 2026, 2027 or 2028. They have a lottery-protected first from Portland over the next six seasons. They can trade their 2022 first on the night of the draft and are allowed to trade the Trail Blazers' first in a future deal.

Cash: $4.6 million (to send) | $4.7 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Chicago has $103 million in salary but is over the cap because of the $29.3 million free-agent hold of LaVine. If he signs a max contract starting at $36.6 million, Chicago would be $8 million below the luxury tax.

Tony Bradley has a $2 million player option that must be exercised by June 29.

Chicago has the $10.3 million midlevel exception but would go into the tax and trigger the hard cap if more than $6.4 million is used.

It will have the $6.4 million tax midlevel exception if LaVine returns.

The $5 million trade exception from the Daniel Theis sign-and-trade expires on July 7.

Team needs

A healthy Ball

LaVine in a Bulls uniform when training camp starts

Depth at power forward and center

Extension-eligible: Vucevic and White (rookie)

Free-agent status

Zach LaVine | Bird

Troy Brown Jr. | Restricted | Bird

Tony Bradley | Player | Non Bird

Matt Thomas | Restricted | Non Bird

Tristan Thompson | Non Bird

Derrick Jones Jr. | Bird

Malcolm Hill | Restricted | Non Bird

Tyler Cook | Restricted | Non Bird

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

Offseason focus

The restricted free agency of Collin Sexton: Does he fit long term, and what is the cost?

The rookie extension of Darius Garland: Is he max-worthy?

Should Cleveland explore extensions with Caris LeVert and Kevin Love, or prioritize cap flexibility in 2023?

Draft assets

First: No. 14

Second: No. 39, No. 56

Future: Cleveland owes Indiana a top-14-protected first in 2023.

Cash: $5.8 million (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Cleveland has $127.7 million in contracts ($3.7 million are non-guaranteed) and will be close to the $149 million luxury tax if restricted free agent Collin Sexton is brought back.

There is no guaranteed date on the $1.8 million contract of Lamar Stevens. Dean Wade has a $1.9 million team option. The contract is not guaranteed if the option is exercised. If the option is declined, Wade will become a free agent.

The Cavs' midlevel exception ($10.3 or $6.4 million) is dependent on the decision to bring back Sexton.

Team needs

Backup veteran point guard

Bench scoring and backup center

Extension-eligible: Garland (rookie), Kevin Love, LeVert (as of Aug. 8) and Dylan Windler (rookie)

Note: LeVert is extension-eligible starting on July 1 but is restricted in contract length and percentage increase. The restriction is lifted Aug. 8.

Free-agent status

Collin Sexton | Restricted | Bird

Dean Wade | Restricted | Team

Ed Davis | Non Bird

Rajon Rondo | Non Bird

Moses Brown | Restricted | Non Bird

RJ Nembhard | Restricted | Non Bird

Brandon Goodwin | Restricted | Non Bird

DALLAS MAVERICKS

Offseason focus

Jalen Brunson's free agency. Should Dallas draw a line in the sand on the cost?

The comfort level of the luxury tax: Dallas is $3 million over the threshold.

Roster resources: $10.9 million trade exception, $6.3 million tax midlevel and Brunson to improve the roster.

Draft assets

First: No. 26

Future: The Mavericks owe New York a top-10-protected first in 2023, 2024 or 2025. The earliest Dallas can trade a first is two years after the pick to New York is conveyed. The Mavericks are allowed to trade the rights to their first in 2022 on the night of the draft.

Cap-space breakdown

Dallas has $154.1 million in salary and is $5.1 million over the luxury tax. Because the Mavericks are a tax team, they will have the $6.4 million tax midlevel. They also have a $10.9 million trade exception that expires June 27.

The $9.2 million contract of Maxi Kleber and $2 million salary of Frank Ntilikina are non-guaranteed. Kleber's contract is guaranteed if he is not waived by July 3 and Ntilikina by July 4.

Trey Burke has a $3.3 million player option that must be exercised by June 29.

Dorian Finney-Smith has a trade restriction that will get lifted Aug. 12.

Reggie Bullock and Finney-Smith have a 5% trade bonus. Burke has a 7.5% trade bonus.

Team needs

Rim protector at center

Extension eligible: Kleber, Burke and Dwight Powell

Free-agent status

Trey Burke | Player | Early Bird

Jalen Brunson | Bird

Theo Pinson | Restricted | Non Bird

Moses Wright | Restricted | Non Bird

DENVER NUGGETS

Offseason focus

The supermax extension of Nikola Jokic, set to be the largest contract in NBA history

The lack of depth and limited resources to add in free agency at forward if Jeff Green and JaMychal Green opt out of their contracts

The health of Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr.

An insurance policy at small forward behind Porter

Draft assets

First: No. 21

Future: The Nuggets owe Oklahoma City a top-14-protected first in 2023, 2024 or 2025. They also owe Orlando a top-five-protected first two years after the pick to OKC is conveyed.

Cash: $5.6 million (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Denver will enter the offseason with $159.4 million in salary, $10.4 million over the projected tax threshold. This is the first time since 2009-10 that the Nuggets are a tax team. In doing so, Denver has the $6.4 million midlevel exception.

JaMychal Green and Jeff Green have until June 20 to opt in to their contracts for next season.

Team needs

A Healthy Murray and Porter

Depth at small forward and center

Extension eligible: Jokic, Murray and Monte Morris (as of Sept. 30)

Free-agent status

Facundo Campazzo | Restricted | Early Bird

Jeff Green | Player | Non-Bird

JaMychal Green | Player | Early Bird

Austin Rivers | Early Bird

Vlatko Cancar | Restricted | Bird

Bryn Forbes | Non Bird

DeMarcus Cousins | Non Bird

Markus Howard | Restricted | Early Bird

Davon Reed | Restricted | Non Bird

DETROIT PISTONS

Offseason focus

The draft options with a top-four pick

Are Detroit's games post All-Star break a blueprint or fool's gold?

The future of Jerami Grant: extend or pursue a trade?

The direction with projected cap space: build the roster or asset retention?

Draft assets

First: No. 5

Second: No. 46

Future: The Pistons owe Oklahoma City a first that has protection from 2023 to 2027 (top 16 in 2022, top 18 in 2023 and 2024, top 13 in 2025 and top nine in 2027).

Cash: $5.8 million (to send) | $0 (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Pistons could have $26 million in room but at the loss of free agent Marvin Bagley III.

They also could create an additional $10 million if the team options of Hamidou Diallo, Frank Jackson and Luka Garza are declined. Detroit has until June 28 to exercise the options. The Pistons also have a team option for Carsen Edwards that must be exercised by June 29.

Cory Joseph has up until June 28 to opt in to his $5.3 million contract.

Team needs

Shooters to compliment Cade Cunningham

Backup small forward and center

Extension-eligible: Grant

Free-agent status

Cory Joseph | Player | Bird

Frank Jackson | Team | Early Bird

Rodney McGruder | Bird

Carsen Edwards | Restricted | Team | Non Bird

Marvin Bagley III | Restricted | Bird

Braxton Key | Restricted | Non Bird

Jamorko Pickett | Restricted | Non Bird

Luka Garza | Team | Restricted | Non Bird

Hamidou Diallo | Team | Bird

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Offseason focus

The rookie extension of Jordan Poole

The Draymond Green extension: Is Golden State paying for the past or the future?

The expiring contract of Andrew Wiggins

The bench resources: veterans minimum and tax midlevel exceptions

Is some of their youth expendable? James Wiseman, Jonathan Kuminga and Moses Moody

Draft assets

First: No. 28

Second: No. 51, No. 55

Future: Golden State owes Memphis a 2024 top-four-protected first (converts to top-one-protected in 2025 and unprotected in 2026).

Cap-space breakdown

For the sixth time in eight years, Golden State will be in the luxury tax.

Because the Warriors have been in the tax in four of the past five seasons (including in 2022-23), they are a repeater-tax team. Golden State will have the $6.4 million tax midlevel and veterans minimum exception to use in free agency.

Stephen Curry, Green and Klay Thompson all have a 15% trade bonus. The bonus for Curry is voided.

Team needs

A starting center

A healthy Wiseman

Bench depth

Extension-eligible: Wiggins, Thompson, Green (as of Aug. 3) and Poole (rookie)

Free-agent status

Kevon Looney | Bird

Otto Porter Jr. | Non Bird

Nemanja Bjelica | Non Bird

Andre Iguodala | Non Bird

Damion Lee | Bird

Gary Payton II | Early Bird

Juan Toscano-Anderson | Restricted |Bird

Chris Chiozza | Restricted | Non Bird

Quinndary Weatherspoon | Restricted

HOUSTON ROCKETS

Offseason focus

The draft: Two firsts

Finding closure with John Wall: Houston could seek a buyout if no trade materializes

What is the trade value for Christian Wood and Eric Gordon? Could Houston extend Wood with a new contract?

The rookie extension of Kevin Porter Jr.: Is there a body of work to trust him with a lucrative contract? Can he play alongside Jalen Green?

Draft assets

First: No. 1, No. 17

Future: The Rockets acquired unprotected firsts from the Nets in 2024 and 2026 in the James Harden deal. They also have future swap rights with the Nets in 2023, 2025 and 2027. In addition, they have a future first from Milwaukee (2023 unprotected). The Rockets owe the Thunder a first in 2024 (top-four protected) and 2026 (top-four protected). In addition, Oklahoma City has the right to swap picks in 2025 (top-10 protected; OKC has the right to swap with the Rockets or Clippers).

Cash: $4.6 million (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Rockets have $123.8 million in salary and are right at the salary cap. Because they have enough of a buffer below the luxury tax, Houston has the $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception.

John Wall has until June 29 to opt in to his $47.4 million contract.

The Rockets have until June 29 to exercise the $1.8 million contract of Jae'Sean Tate. If the option is declined, Tate would become a restricted free agent. He is also a restricted free agent in 2023 if the option is exercised.

Team needs

Starting point guard

Veteran backup point guard

Extension eligible: Wall, Porter (rookie), Gordon (as of Sept. 3), Wood, Jae'Sean Tate and KJ Martin (as of July 23)

Free-agent status

John Wall | Player | Bird

Dennis Schroder | Non Bird

Jae'Sean Tate | Team | Early Bird

Bruno Fernando | Restricted | Bird

Trevelin Queen | Restricted | No Bird

Anthony Lamb | Restricted Non Bird

INDIANA PACERS

Offseason focus

The draft: a first and two seconds

Does Indiana create room or stay over the cap?

Renegotiating Myles Turner's contract

Draft assets

First: No. 6

Second: No. 31, No. 58

Future: The Pacers own all of their future first-round picks. They have a top-14-protected first from Cleveland in 2023.

Cash: $4.7 million (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Pacers are projected to have $24 million in cap space.

Because Indiana will likely act as a room team, it will have a $5.3 million exception available.

The $1.6 million contracts of Duane Washington and Terry Taylor are guaranteed on July 6 and July 10.

Indiana has until June 29 to exercise the team option for Oshae Brissett ($1.8 million).

The Pacers have three trade exceptions: $10.5, $7.3 and $2.3 million. The exceptions will go away if Indiana uses cap space.

Team needs

Starting power forward

Backup small and power forward

Extension eligible: Turner, Goga Bitadze (rookie) and Buddy Hield (as of Oct. 1)

Free-agent status

T.J. Warren | Bird

Jalen Smith | Third-year restriction

Oshae Brissett | Team | Restricted | Early Bird

Gabe York | Restricted | Non Bird

Nate Hinton | Restricted | Non Bird

LA CLIPPERS

Offseason focus

Tradable contracts: four players earning between $16.7 million to $11.2 million

The restricted free agency of Amir Coffey

Draft assets

Second: No. 43

Future: The Clippers owe an unprotected first in 2024 and 2026 to Oklahoma City from the Paul George trade. In addition, the Thunder can swap first-rounders with LA in 2023 and 2025. The next available first the Clippers can trade is in 2028.

Cash: $0 (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

They currently have $171.6 million in contracts, $22.6 million above the tax threshold, and are a tax team for the third year in a row. Because they are over the tax, the Clippers have a $6.4 million tax midlevel exception. They also have a $9.7 and $8.3 million trade exception.

Nicolas Batum has until June 29 to opt in to his $3.3 million contract. The Clippers have until June 29 to exercise the $7.5 million contract of Ivica Zubac.

Reggie Jackson and Kawhi Leonard have a 15% trade bonus. The bonus for Leonard is voided.

Team needs

A healthy Leonard and George

Backup point guard

Backup center

Extension eligible: Zubac and Marcus Morris

Ivica Zubac | Team | Bird

Nicolas Batum | Player | Early Bird

Isaiah Hartenstein |Non Bird

Rodney Hood | Non Bird

Xavier Moon | Restricted | Non Bird

Jay Scrubb | Restricted | Non Bird

Amir Coffey | Restricted | Bird

MORE: Complete Clippers offseason guide

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Offseason focus

The draft: two first-round picks

The extensions: Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke

What is the cost of free agents Tyus Jones and Kyle Anderson?

Do Dillon Brooks and Steven Adams fit long term? Last year of their contract

Draft assets

First: No. 22, No. 29

Second: 47

Future: The Grizzlies own all their future first-round picks and a top-four-protected first-rounder from the Warriors in 2024. The first is top-one-protected in 2025 and unprotected in 2026.

Cash: $4.8 million (to send) | $5.5 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Grizzlies have $97.8 million in salary but are projected to be over the cap when factoring in the free-agent holds of Jones and Anderson and two first-round picks. If Memphis stays over the cap, it will have a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception. It also has $4.1 and $1.1 million trade exceptions.

The $2.3 million contract of John Konchar has $840K in salary protection. The balance becomes guaranteed if Konchar is on the roster past July 3.

Team needs

Extension eligible: Morant (rookie), Clarke (rookie), Brooks, Konchar, De'Anthony Melton, Adams and Xavier Tillman Jr. (as of July 27)

Free-agent status

Kyle Anderson | Bird

Tyus Jones | Bird

Yves Pon | Restricted | Non Bird

Jarrett Culver | Fourth year restriction

MIAMI HEAT

Offseason focus

Tyler Herro's rookie extension: Is he worth starter-type money ($20 million-plus)?

Can the Heat acquire another big-name superstar?

The cost to retain Victor Oladipo

Draft assets

First: No. 27

Future: Miami owes Oklahoma City a 2025 top-14-protected first. The pick is unprotected in 2026 if not conveyed in the prior year. The Heat are allowed to trade a 2022, 2023, 2028 and 2029 first.

Cap-space breakdown

The Heat have $135.6 million in salary and are $13.3 million below the luxury tax.

Miami will have the $10.3 million midlevel and $4.0 million biannual exception. However, using more than $6.3 million of the midlevel will hard cap the Heat. They also have a $1.8 million trade exception.

The Heat have four players -- Gabe Vincent, Max Strus, Omer Yurtseven and Haywood Highsmith -- who are on non-guaranteed contracts. The salaries for Vincent, Strus and Yurtseven become guaranteed June 29. There is a July 1 trigger date for $50K on the $1.75 million Highsmith contract.

PJ Tucker has until June 29 to opt-into his $7.4 million contract for 2022-23.

Jimmy Butler has a 15% trade bonus that is valued at $4.6 million.

Team needs

Starting power forward (if P.J. Tucker opts out) and backup PF

Wing defender off the bench

Extension eligible: Herro (rookie)

Free-agent status

Dewayne Dedmon | Non Bird

Markieff Morris | Non Bird

Victor Oladipo | Bird

P.J. Tucker | Player | Non Bird

Udonis Haslem | Bird

Mychal Mulder | Restricted | Non Bird

Caleb Martin | Restricted | Non Bird

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

Offseason focus

The free agency (and cost) of Bobby Portis and Pat Connaughton

Khris Middleton's extension options

Bargain shopping in free agency for bench help: veterans minimum and tax midlevel

Draft assets

First: No. 24

Future: Milwaukee has control of its 2022 and 2028 first-round picks. Between those two, the Bucks' picks are controlled by other teams. Houston has Milwaukee's unprotected first-round pick in 2023. New Orleans has Milwaukee's unprotected first-round picks in 2025 and 2027. The Pelicans also have swap rights with the Bucks in 2024 and 2026.

Cash: $5.8 million (to send) | $1.5 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Milwaukee has $159.5 million in salary and is $10.5 million over the luxury tax. Because it is over the tax, Milwaukee will have a $6.4 million tax exception. It also has two trade exceptions of $1.6 and $1.5 million.

The Bucks have three players -- Thanasis Antetokounmpo ($1.9 million), Connaughton ($5.7 million) and Portis ($4.6 million) -- who have player options. Antetokounmpo has until June 21 to opt in, Connaughton until June 22 and Portis until June 29.

The contracts of Luca Vildoza ($1.8 million) and Rayjon Tucker ($1.8 million) are non-guaranteed and do not have an offseason guaranteed date.

Team needs

Bench scoring if Connaughton does not return

Depth at small forward, power forward and center (if Portis does not return)

Insurance at backup point guard

Extension eligible: Brook Lopez, Middleton (as of July 11) and Connaughton

Free-agent status

Pat Connaughton | Player | Bird

Serge Ibaka | Early-Bird

Bobby Portis | Player | Early Bird

Wesley Matthews | Non Bird

Jevon Carter | Non Bird

Jordan Nwora | Restricted | Early Bird

Lindell Wigginton | Restricted | Non Bird

Thanasis Antetokounmpo | Player | Bird

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

Offseason focus

The draft: four picks, including three in the second

Where can they upgrade the roster? Wolves have 11 players under contract

The extension options with Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell

Draft assets

First: No. 19

Second: No. 40, No. 48, No. 50

Future: The Timberwolves have all their own first-round picks

Cap-space breakdown

The Timberwolves are $25.2 million below the luxury tax and will have a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception. They also have a $4.75 million trade exception that expires June 30.

Minnesota has until June 29 to exercise the $1.9 million team options of Jaylen Nowell and Naz Reid, whose contract becomes guaranteed on July 20.

Towns has a 15% trade bonus valued at $5 million.

Team needs

Starting point guard who can control the game

Defensive-minded depth with size

Extension-eligible: Towns, Russell, Reid, Nowell and Malik Beasley (as of July 9)

Free-agent status

Taurean Prince | Bird

Jake Layman | Bird

Josh Okogie | Restricted | Bird

Jaylen Nowell | Team | Bird

Naz Reid | Team | Bird

Greg Monroe | Non Bird

Nathan Knight | Restricted | Non Bird

McKinley Wright | Restricted | Non Bird

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

Offseason focus

The draft: Keep or look to move the no. 8 pick?

Zion Williamson's rookie extension: Should he get a blank check or should New Orleans include injury protection?

The extension options for CJ McCollum

Balancing the roster: 14 players under contract before free agency starts

Draft assets

First: No. 8

Second: No. 41, No. 52

Future: The Pelicans have the Lakers' 2024 first-round pick and have the option to defer that to 2025. The Pelicans can also swap their 2023 first-round pick for the Lakers' pick. Additionally, the Pelicans have unprotected first-round picks from the Bucks in 2025 and 2027 and swap rights with Milwaukee in 2024 and 2026.

Cash: $3.8 million (to send) | $2.1 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Pelicans return 14 players under contract and are $2.2 million below the tax. They will have a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception. However, do not expect New Orleans to use more than $6.3 million of the exception because it would hard cap it and also push it into the tax. It also has $6.4 and $1.8 million trade exceptions.

Brandon Ingram and Jonas Valanciunas have a trade bonus. The Ingram bonus is voided, and Valanciunas' is $1 million.

Team needs

A healthy Williamson

Size at backup shooting guard

Extension eligible: Williamson (rookie), Larry Nance Jr., McCollum and Jaxson Hayes (rookie)

Free-agent status

Tony Snell | Non Bird

Gary Clark | Restricted | Non Bird

Jared Harper | Restricted | Non Bird

NEW YORK KNICKS

Offseason focus

The draft: Is pick No. 11 expendable?

Is Julius Randle part of the future?

How does this roster improve? Twelve guaranteed contracts in 2022-23 and over the cap

What is the cost to retain unrestricted free agent Mitchell Robinson?

The extensions: RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish

Draft assets

First: No. 11

Second: No. 42

Future: New York is owed a 2023 first-round pick from Dallas. It is top-10 protected in 2023, 2024 and 2025. If not conveyed by 2025, it becomes a 2025 second-round pick.

Cash: $5.7 million (to send) | $3.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Knicks are right at the $122 million salary cap and will have a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception.

Julius Randle has a 15% trade bonus that is valued at $11.5 million. If Randle is traded after July 1, the bonus is divided by three and added to the first three seasons of his contract (the player option in Year 4 is excluded).

There is no trigger date on the $5.2 million non-guaranteed contract of Taj Gibson.

Team needs

Starting point guard

Backup center

Extension-eligible: Barrett (rookie) and Reddish (rookie)

Free-agent status

Mitchell Robinson | Bird

Ryan Arcidiacono | Non Bird

Feron Hunt | Restricted | Non Bird

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER

Offseason focus

Use it or lose it with remaining cap space: $31.8 million in room to use by June 30

The draft: Three first-round picks and 16 future firsts: Does OKC explore moving up to No. 1 but at the cost of a future first?

The extensions: Lu Dort and Kenrich Williams

Draft assets

First: No. 2, No. 12, No. 30

Second: No. 34

Future: The Thunder are owed a bevy of future first-round picks from other teams:

In 2023, they have a top-14-protected pick from the Nuggets (top-14 protected in 2024 and 2025, else it becomes two second-round picks) and have swap rights with the Clippers. They also have a top-18-protected first from Detroit (the pick is top-18 protected in 2024, top 13 in 2025, top 11 in 2026 and top nine in 2027). They have a lottery-protected first from Washington (top-12 protected in 2024, top 10 in 2025 and top eight in 2026).

In 2024 they have an unprotected pick from the Clippers and a top-four-protected pick from the Rockets (becomes two second-round picks if it does not convey).

In 2025, they have a top-six-protected pick from the 76ers. They also have swap rights with the Rockets (top-10 protected) and the Clippers (unprotected). In 2025 they have a top-14-protected pick from the Heat (unprotected in 2026).

In 2026 they have an unprotected pick from the Clippers and a top-four-protected pick from the Rockets (becomes a second-round pick if not conveyed).

Finally, in 2027, they have only their own first-round pick, unless the 2025 76ers first-round pick has not conveyed by then (it will still have top-four protection in 2027).

Cash: $4.8 million (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Despite having only $66 million in guaranteed contracts, the Thunder are projected to be over the salary cap because of the Gilgeous-Alexander max contract, non-guaranteed salaries, dead cap hits and three first-round cap holds. Because Oklahoma City is projected over the cap, it will have a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception available to use.

Oklahoma City has until June 29 to exercise the $1.9 million team option of Dort. If the option is declined, Dort will become a restricted free agent and the Thunder will have the right to match on an offer sheet. If the option is picked up, Dort will become an unrestricted free agent in 2023. Derrick Favors has until June 29 to opt in to his $10.2 million contract for 2022-23.

The Thunder have until June 29 to exercise the $3.5 million team option of Mike Muscala.

Isaiah Roby has both a team option and trigger date in his contract for next season. The Thunder have until June 25 to pick up the $1.9 million option for next season. If they exercise the option, the $1.9 million contract becomes guaranteed if he is not waived by July 3. There is no offseason trigger date for the $2 million non-guaranteed contract of Kenrich Williams. The $1.9 million contract of Theo Maledon becomes guaranteed on June 30. Vit Krejci has $781,579 in salary protection. There is no trigger date in the remaining balance ($781,759) owed.

Team needs

Starting power forward and center

NBA depth

Extension eligible: Dort, Williams, Darius Bazley (rookie), Ty Jerome (rookie), Isaiah Roby, Favors and Maledon (as of Aug. 28)

Free-agent status

Mike Muscala | Team | Bird

Luguentz Dort | Team | Restricted | Bird

Derrick Favors | Player | Early-Bird

Isaiah Roby | Team | Restricted | Bird

Melvin Frazier Jr. | Restricted | Non-Bird

ORLANDO MAGIC

Offseason focus

The draft: Three picks in the top 35, including No. 1

The value of cap flexibility: can create up to $25M

Mo Bamba's restricted free agency

The expiring contract of Terrence Ross

Draft assets

First: No. 1

Second: No. 32, No. 35

Future: Orlando is owed a top-four-protected 2023 first-round pick from Chicago. The protection reduces to top three in 2024. The Magic are also owed a top-five-protected first-round pick from the Nuggets, two years after Denver conveys a first-round pick to Oklahoma City (the earliest would be 2025).

Cash: $5.8 million (to send) | $2.1 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

The Magic have $95 million in salary, but cap space is dependent on what happens with restricted free agent Bamba. Bamba's $22.7 million free-agent hold and their own first-round pick have them right up against the cap. If Bamba does not return, Orlando projects to have $26 million in room. If the Magic act as a cap-space team, they will have the $5.3 million room midlevel.

The $1.9 million contract of Moritz Wagner is guaranteed June 30.

Team needs

A summer of player development

Playmaking point guard

Starting power forward

A healthy Jonathan Isaac

Extension eligible: Ross, Isaac (as of Sept. 30) and Markelle Fultz (as of Sept. 30)

Free-agent status

Gary Harris | Bird

Mo Bamba | Restricted | Bird

Bol Bol | Restricted | Bird

Robin Lopez | Non Bird

Admiral Schofield | Restricted | Non Bird

Ignas Brazdeikis | Restricted | Non Bird

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

Offseason focus

Determine if James Harden is worth keeping and if he will take less money to stay

The extension of Matisse Thybulle

Is Tobias Harris part of the future?

The luxury tax: Can stay under but at the cost of bench depth (Danny Green)

Draft assets

First: None, but could have their own if Nets defer to 2023

Future: The 76ers owe Brooklyn a 2022 or 2023 unprotected first. The Nets have the right to defer. Philadelphia owes Oklahoma City a top-six-protected first in 2025. If the first is not sent in 2025, the Thunder will receive either a 2026 or 2027 top-four-protected first. Two years after the first to the Thunder is conveyed, Philadelphia will send Brooklyn a top-eight-protected first in either 2027 or 2028.

Cash: $3.8 million (to send) | $5.8 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Not including the $17 million of non-guaranteed contracts, Philadelphia enters the offseason with $136 million in guaranteed salary, $13 million below the luxury tax.

Green has a $10 million contract that becomes guaranteed if he is not waived by July 1. If Green is waived, Philadelphia will have the $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception available. The 76ers will have the $6.4 million tax midlevel if Green returns.

The $1.8 million contract of Isaiah Joe becomes guaranteed on the first day of the regular season. There are no trigger dates in the $1.8 million non-guaranteed contract of Paul Reed Jr.

Charles Bassey has $74,742 of his $1.6 million contract guaranteed. There is no trigger date for the balance. Philadelphia has until June 29 to exercise the $2 million team option of Shake Milton.

Harden has until June 29 to opt in to his $47.4 million contract.

Tobias Harris has a trade bonus that is the lesser of $5 million or 5% of his remaining salary. The current value is $3.8 million.

Team needs

Backup shooting guard and small forward

Backup center

Extension eligible: Harden (as of Aug. 11), Thybulle (rookie), Harris, Milton and Joe

Free-agent status

James Harden | Player | Bird

Paul Millsap | Non Bird

Shake Milton | Team | Bird

Myles Powell | Restricted | Non Bird

PHOENIX SUNS

Offseason focus

What is the cost of restricted free agent Deandre Ayton?

The extensions: Devin Booker, Cameron Johnson and Jae Crowder

Does the front office have the authority to spend outside of re-signing its own players?

Draft assets

Future: Phoenix can trade its 2023 first starting the night of the draft. Besides the pick owed to Oklahoma City in June, the Suns own all of their first-round picks.

Cash: $5.7 million (to send) | $5.7 million (to receive)

Cap-space breakdown

Expect the Suns to be above the luxury-tax threshold for the first time since 2009-10.

Phoenix has $128.8 million in salary and is expected to exceed the $149 million tax threshold if it signs restricted free agent Ayton to a lucrative contract.

Because it is projected to be above the tax threshold, Phoenix will have the $6.4 million tax midlevel exception.

Team needs

Ayton

Backup center

A healthy Dario Saric

Extension eligible: Johnson (rookie), Booker and Crowder

Free-agent status

Deandre Ayton | Restricted | Bird

JaVale McGee | Non Bird

Elfrid Payton | Non Bird

Aaron Holiday | Restricted | Bird

Bismack Biyombo | Non Bird

Ishmail Wainright | Restricted | Non Bird

Gabriel Lundberg | Restricted | Non Bird

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

Offseason focus

Does the timeline to rebuild the roster overlap with Damian Lillard's prime?

The draft: three picks, including No. 7

The comfort level of extending Lillard: two years, $106 million

The direction with cap flexibility: stay over and use the $20.9 million trade exception or create up to $35 million but at the expense of a player like Jusuf Nurkic?

The restricted free agency of Anfernee Simons

Draft assets

First: 7

Second: 36, 57

Future: The Blazers owe Chicago a lottery-protected first from 2023 to 2027. Portland will receive a 2025 first from Milwaukee (if 5-30).

Cap-space breakdown

Portland is in position to create cap space or act as an over-the-cap team.

The cap-space direction would see the Trail Blazers renouncing all of their free agents except for Simons, waiving Eric Bledsoe and renouncing their $21 million trade exception. In this scenario, Portland would have $35.5 million in cap space.

Bledsoe's $19.4 million contract has $3.9 million in protection. The balance becomes guaranteed on July 10. Josh Hart has a $12.96 million contract that becomes guaranteed June 25. If Hart is on the roster, Portland can still create up to $23 million in room. It also has a $6.6 and $3.3 million trade exception.

By staying over the cap, the Trail Blazers would still have their large trade exception and can use Bledsoe's expiring contract in a trade. They would also have available a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception.

Team needs

Starting center

Depth across the board

Extension eligible: Lillard, Nassir Little (rookie) and Bledsoe

Free-agent status

Anfernee Simons | Restricted | Bird

Jusuf Nurkic | Bird

Ben McLemore | Non Bird

CJ Elleby | Restricted | Early Bird

Brandon Williams | Restricted | Non Bird

Keljin Blevins | Restricted | Early Bird

Joe Ingles | Bird

Elijah Hughes | Restricted | Early Bird

SACRAMENTO KINGS

Offseason focus

The draft: impact player in the lottery

The Domantas Sabonis extension

The $40 million in expiring contracts: cap flexibility in 2023 or trade for a player with years left

Draft assets

First: No. 4

Second: No. 37, No. 49

Future: Sacramento owns all of its future first-round picks

Cash: $5.8 million (to receive) | $5.8 million (to send)

Cap-space breakdown

Sacramento is projected to be over the salary cap, despite $113 million in salary. It will have a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception. The Kings also have a $4 million trade exception.

The Kings have until June 28 to exercise the $2.6 million team option of Trey Lyles.

The $1.9 million contract of Chimezie Metu is guaranteed June 29.

Richaun Holmes has a 15% trade bonus. The bonus is valued at $3.5 million.

Team needs

Shooting off the bench

Extension eligible: Harrison Barnes, Sabonis (as of Oct. 1) and Justin Holiday

Free-agent status

Trey Lyles | Player | Non Bird

Josh Jackson | Early Bird

Jeremy Lamb | Bird

Damian Jones | Early Bird

Neemias Queta | Restricted | Non Bird

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Offseason focus

The draft: Three picks in the top 25

Restricted free agency for Lonnie Walker IV: a priority or does San Antonio choose to maximize cap space?

The extensions: Keldon Johnson and Jakob Poeltl

Draft assets

First: No. 9, No. 20, No. 25

Second: No. 38

Future: The Spurs own all of their future first-round picks. They have a top-10-protected first from Chicago starting in 2025, but only if the Magic receive a first from the Bulls in 2023. If Chicago does not send the Magic a first in 2023 but in 2024, San Antonio will receive a top-10-protected first in 2026. The pick is also top-eight protected in 2027 and 2028. It has the right to swap firsts with Boston (top-one protected) in 2028.

Cash: $3.4 million (to receive) | $5.8 million (to send)

Cap-space breakdown

The Spurs project to have $16.5 million of room, but that number could increase to $27 million if restricted free agent Walker is not brought back. If San Antonio acts as a room team, it will have a $5.3 million midlevel exception.

The $7.4 million contract of Zach Collins becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster past June 24. There is currently $3.67 million guaranteed. Tre Jones has a $1.8 million non-guaranteed contract. If he is on the roster past Aug. 1, $500K will become guaranteed. The remaining balance is guaranteed if he is on the roster the first day of the regular season.

Keita Bates-Diop ($1.9 million) and Jock Landale ($1.6 million) have non-guaranteed contracts. The Bates-Diop contract becomes guaranteed on the first day of the regular season, and there is no trigger date for Landale.

Team needs

A big offseason of development for the shooting guards: Devin Vassell and Josh Primo

Extension eligible: Johnson (rookie), Dejounte Murray, Poeltl and Tre Jones

Free-agent status

Lonnie Walker IV | Restricted | Bird

Joe Wieskamp | Restricted | Non Bird

Devontae Cacok | Restricted | Non Bird

DJ Stewart | Restricted | Non Bird

Robert Woodard II | Restricted | Non Bird

TORONTO RAPTORS

Offseason focus

The extensions: Fred VanVleet and Pascal Siakam

The resources to build the bench: Bird rights on Thaddeus Young and Chris Boucher, $10.3M midlevel exception and an early second-rounder

Draft assets

Second: No. 33

Future: The Raptors own all of their future first-round picks starting in 2023.

Cash: $5.8 million (to receive) | $5.8 million (to send)

Cap-space breakdown

The Raptors are not a cap-space team but have financial flexibility to build out their bench and still stay under the tax. They are a projected $35 million below the threshold. They will have a $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception. The Raptors also have a $5.3 and $3.1 million trade exception.

Svi Mykhailiuk has until June 22 to opt in to his $1.9 million contract for 2022-23.

Dalano Banton has $150K in guaranteed salary. It will increase to $300K if he is on the roster past July 4. The remaining $1.26 million is guaranteed if he is not waived by the first day of the regular season.

Team needs

Depth at every position except for center

Extension eligible: Siakam (as of Oct. 1) and VanVleet

Free-agent status

Thaddeus Young | Bird

Chris Boucher | Bird

Yuta Watanabe | Early Bird

Svi Mykhailiuk | Player | Non Bird

David Johnson | Restricted | Non Bird

Justin Champagnie | Restricted | Non Bird

Isaac Bonga | Non Bird

UTAH JAZZ

Offseason focus

Can this roster improve outside of trading Donovan Mitchell or Rudy Gobert?

The expiring contract of Bojan Bogdanovic

Draft assets

Future: Utah owes Oklahoma City a 2024 top-10-protected first. The pick is top-10 protected in 2025 and top-eight protected in 2026.

Cash: $4.9 million (to receive) | $4.8 million (to send)

Cap-space breakdown

For a third straight season, Utah is projected to be a tax team. Not including the $7.4 million non-guaranteed contract of Juancho Hernangomez, the Jazz are right at the $149 million tax threshold. Hernangomez's contract becomes guaranteed June 30.

Because it is right at the tax, Utah will have a $6.4 million midlevel exception. It also has a $9.8 and $1.6 million trade exception.

Team needs

Wing defender

Backup point guard

Extension eligible: Bogdanovic, Jordan Clarkson, Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Hernangomez

Free-agent status

Eric Paschall | Restricted | Bird

Hassan Whiteside | Non Bird

Trent Forrest | Restricted | Non Bird

Xavier Sneed | Restricted | Non Bird

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

Offseason focus

The free agency of Bradley Beal

Finding stability at point guard

The group of extensions: Kuzma, Porzingis and Hachimura

Draft assets

First: No. 10

Second: No. 54

Future: The Wizards owe Oklahoma City a top-14-protected in 2023, top-12 protected in 2024, top-10 protected in 2025 and top-eight protected in 2026. It will turn into second-round picks in 2026 and 2027 if not conveyed.

Cash: $4.7 million (to receive) | $5.8 million (to send)

Cap-space breakdown

Cap space is manufactured only if Beal declines his $36.4 million player option and does not return. Beal has until June 29 to opt in to his contract. If Beal returns, the Wizards will have the $10.3 million midlevel and $4.1 million biannual exception available in free agency. Beal has a $5.4 million trade bonus but only if he opts in to his contract for 2022-23 and is eventually traded.

The $14 million contract of Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is guaranteed if he is on the roster past June 28. There is currently $4.9 million guaranteed.

There is a July 1 trigger date on the $4.7 million contract of Ish Smith.

Team needs

Starting point guard

Extension eligible: Beal, Rui Hachimura (veteran), Kristaps Porzingis, Caldwell-Pope, Vernon Carey and Kyle Kuzma (as of Sept. 30)

Free-agent status

Bradley Beal | Player | Bird

Thomas Bryant | Bird

Raul Neto | Early Bird

Anthony Gill | Restricted | Early Bird

Cassius Winston | Non Bird

Jordan Schakel | Restricted | Non Bird

Tomas Satoransky | Non Bird

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/33934732/biggest-offseason-questions-priorities-every-nba-team

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject:

EXPANSION DRAFT incoming in 3…2…

Quote:
The NBA has not added a new team in almost two decades, but the next round of expansion could be coming soon. During an appearance on 93.3 KJR, longtime columnist John Canzano reported that Seattle and Las Vegas have “already been earmarked” for expansion by the NBA. According to Canzano, the expansion is set to happen after the league’s current media rights deal expires in 2024.

Sources told The Spun last summer that a number of teams that were considering relocating were also “looking fondly” at Sin City, but it seems like they won’t be able to move there, because the league is already planning on giving Vegas a team of its own. – via Matt Hladik @ The Spun

So that current 2023 cap plan we have in place…whoever we target needs to be protected from the expansion draft…so my guess is THT is probably made available from us.

Also if the expansion happens in 2024, we can save up to 8 players on our roster from being served up in the expansion draft…but we have to sacrifice someone…so with AD being the only guy that currently projects to be on our books, who do we serve up if we choose to protect him and our 2023 FA target + our 2022/23 picks? Will Bron still be here? Also how do the cueeent expansion rules work if there are 2 expansion teams instead of just 1? Hypothetically, we could save:

1) Bron (if still here)
2) AD (if he opts in or agrees to an extension in 2023)
3) 2023 cap plan target
4) 2023 1st swap player
5) 2023 2nd round player; recall we have our own & Chicago’s in 2023
6) 2022 2nd round player (if we buy one this summer)
7) Reaves (if we extend him)
8) THT (if we extend him)

We can offer Russ up in the expansion draft, if we end up extending him. If either of the expansion teams do end up picking up Russ, we would get a TPE in that amount if we are over the cap.

Quote:
Per Coon’s FAQ: To supply an expansion team with its initial complement of players, the league holds an expansion draft1 prior to that year's NBA draft. Existing teams are allowed to protect up to eight players (including restricted free agents) from being selected in the expansion draft, but every team must expose at least one player who can't possibly become a free agent as the result of the exercise or non-exercise of an option or ETO. Unrestricted free agents can neither be protected from nor selected in the expansion draft, and are essentially ignored. Restricted free agents (see question number 42) may be selected, but become unrestricted free agents upon selection (with the caveat that they cannot then re-sign with the team from which they came). No team may lose more than one player in an expansion draft.

If a team is over the cap and loses a contracted player (not a restricted free agent) to an expansion team, they receive a trade exception equivalent to the selected player's salary.

Existing teams are allowed to compensate expansion teams (usually with draft picks), in exchange for selecting or not selecting particular players in the expansion draft.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

Canzono says it will happen after the TV deal expires, so that would be 2024 at the earliest. The CBA also expires then, so this will be bargained. It wouldn’t be surprising if the rules are different from what Larry says.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Eh extending Russ to hope an extension team picks him up?
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Note: under the current CBA, annual increases to the salary cap can max out to 10%, meaning the current cap projection of 122m can still increase to 123.64m for the 2022/23 season (ie this coming 2022 offseason).

So let’s assume next season’s cap experiences that 10% increase to 123.64m and then the following season (2023/24), we experience another 10% cap hike to a projected 136m salary cap.

So assuming neither Bron or Russ (and their capholds) return, our books look like this for the 2023 offseason:

AD 40.6m
THT 11m (player option; full bird caphold amount is 19.5m if he opts out)
Monk early bird caphold 8.4m (based off 2021/22 6.48m mMLE of 10% cap)
Nunn early bird caphold 6.8m
2023 1st round lower pick swap w/NO <3.2m (assuming pick is #20-30)
Reaves RFA qualifying offer 2.1m
Stan early bird caphold 3.1m
6 incomplete roster charges (@1.12m per) 6.7m
= 54.1m in potential cap space if we keep our tikes & do not renounce their respective capholds; could be 45.6m in potential cap space if THT opts out to bag up as our full bird rights player

Note the projections below on a potential 136m salary cap for the 2023/24 season:

2023/24
Cap: 136m
Tax: 165.3m

Hope this to be the case will influx of money in the NBA. I hope that the Laker front office considers this when been repeater tax adverse that there may be an ability to take on long term contracts if they are reasonable for the talent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17
Jump to: