Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Can we move on from Juwan Howard and the nonsense he didn’t want the Lakers because the job sucks.
He’s got a great gig coaching his sons.
Do people not read???
Duh…it’s not because the Lakers are not intriguing.
So stupid…

Hey being controversial against the lakers gets there their clicks

Sucky Playoffs and everything else is slow. So…
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
textbook wrote:
Lakers are going to snooze and let Ham go to charlotte. It's the obvious choice that pleases everyone involved. Don't overthink this! Just move on to getting him top notch assistants

I think the Lakers are hoping this happens so they can sign Stotts to a cheap short term deal and pretend they wanted Ham but darn it he went somewhere else while they were still doing their due diligence!

Not that I think they are hoping to sign Stotts, but clearly they are willing to risk losing Ham while they wait and hope something happens with Doc. Worst case, they go Stotts.

Another way of not giving into LeBron even though they need his buy in desperately.

Just sign Ham and make Stotts the highest paid associate HC in the NBA. Keep Handy and even Fiz though I prefer Hollins in the mix.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject:

More than anything, I am just perplexed at why we thought Juwon Howard was some big game changer. He is the dude that lost out on the job to Frank in 2019, didn't get a NBA job as a HC and went to college ball where he lost his cool and attacked another coach. This is the guy we think we will be an upgrade?

We are so much into the "names" than we are the merits. We need a high IQ coach, one with the same defensive principles as Frank but with better offense. Someone like Nick Nurse (clutch client, has won ring with Handy) should be a guy we should be paying an arm and a leg for.

None of these candidates look inspiring or an upgrade as the news that we would have offered Howard the deal right away if he showed interest is down right scary. I guess I'm with those who hope that we get Ham, out of the options out there, as he has probably the most upside (But at the same time could also prove to be in over his head).

You'd like to think as a premier franchise we would be willing to do what Minnesota did to get that Denver executive, to get a Laker coach in place that is elite and proven. No one is saying no to 10M a year.

This whole process has looked like change for the sake of change to me, without a goal to get the best possible person for the job. Another thing. If say the excuse is well no one elite is a FA. You have two options there. 1) You give up a 2nd round pick or 1st round pick + the cash it takes to get that coach 2_ You shouldn't be in a process of coaching free agency (IE firing your coach) without a strong idea of the big upgrade you'll be targeting. This is change for the sake of change, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
More than anything, I am just perplexed at why we thought Juwon Howard was some big game changer. He is the dude that lost out on the job to Frank in 2019, didn't get a NBA job as a HC and went to college ball where he lost his cool and attacked another coach. This is the guy we think we will be an upgrade?

We are so much into the "names" than we are the merits. We need a high IQ coach, one with the same defensive principles as Frank but with better offense. Someone like Nick Nurse (clutch client, has won ring with Handy) should be a guy we should be paying an arm and a leg for.

None of these candidates look inspiring or an upgrade as the news that we would have offered Howard the deal right away if he showed interest is down right scary. I guess I'm with those who hope that we get Ham, out of the options out there, as he has probably the most upside (But at the same time could also prove to be in over his head).

You'd like to think as a premier franchise we would be willing to do what Minnesota did to get that Denver executive, to get a Laker coach in place that is elite and proven. No one is saying no to 10M a year.

This whole process has looked like change for the sake of change to me, without a goal to get the best possible person for the job. Another thing. If say the excuse is well no one elite is a FA. You have two options there. 1) You give up a 2nd round pick or 1st round pick + the cash it takes to get that coach 2_ You shouldn't be in a process of coaching free agency (IE firing your coach) without a strong idea of the big upgrade you'll be targeting. This is change for the sake of change, IMO.

I agree with some of your points Wolf. However, I don’t think it’s strictly change for the sake of change. I think it was pretty obvious Frank had lost the team.

I’ll never forget when I was at Lakers Clippers (first game out of all star break). Frank was trying to discuss strategy with Lebron going into the 2nd half and Lebron kept his head phones on and just kept bobbing his head to the music. He was also the last guy out to warmup. To me, it’s not just change for the sake of change. It’s an acknowledgement that our options to pivot are limited. I no longer had confidence Frank could lead a Lebron James led team to a championship. Lebron just frankly does not respect most coaches who are not former players.

Mike Brown, David Blatt, Frank Vogel… The guy has pretty much chewed through every coach beyond Ty Lue. The rest of the guys just follow his lead. Russ is a separate enigma but nonetheless I think he also didn’t connect with Frank. I think AD came to that conclusion once he started playing center full time and got hurt multiple times.

It’s easier to blame others than yourself of course and it is our natural tendency. But with Frank, it was pretty clear as day he wasn’t going to win again in purple and gold. At that point, you have to move on. I think they’ve interviewed a lot of quality candidates and I think Darvin is the right guy for the job also due to the success of a lot of Bud’s assistants. My main thing with their trepidation seems to be that they’re concerned a first time head coach would be over his head or couldn’t handle the pressure. That’s not a coaching issue that’s a FO issue. Pat Riley shielded Spoelstra from Shaq, D Wade & Lebron when they tried to scapegoat him. Pelinka and FO have to do the same otherwise you’ll never have a good coach. I mean how hard is it to struggle with the media it shouldn’t be.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

^^All good points.

The one thing I’ll say is Frank was never going to succeed. Even if you handed the same roster to Jason Kidd he would fail too.

Roster had a bunch of has beens who shouldn’t be on an NBA roster and the big names are either old, hurt or flawed. Don’t know many coaches who would get that roster into the play-in. Spo, Pop and maybe Lue.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

Frank had lost the team, it was no surprise that he was let go. I’m sure that the FO is hoping that a new voice can get the attention of the stars for a year or two, I doubt that they are expecting more than that. I am not confident that the change will result in a major turnaround but there is always hope.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

chris webber is available
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
^^All good points.

The one thing I’ll say is Frank was never going to succeed. Even if you handed the same roster to Jason Kidd he would fail too.

Roster had a bunch of has beens who shouldn’t be on an NBA roster and the big names are either old, hurt or flawed. Don’t know many coaches who would get that roster into the play-in. Spo, Pop and maybe Lue.

Last year was a bummer year for all

but

I think people are getting a little carried away......Labron and AD are still very good

It is interesting that the team played better when they went younger around them though and they should consider to pursue that

Dont create a team of veteran players that once upon a time played well.......you have Lebron and AD....you bring Westbrook off the bench if he stays....you keep the young guys that you brought along last year....and you see you have in Nunn has he never had a shot.

The team is not bad talent wise if you do that.....last year was disfunctional
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I think it's been clear for the last few years that loyalty matters in the Laker front office. Perhaps that's what Pelinka saw in his former teammate above all else.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Other than Stotts showing up for his 2nd interview yesterday (per Woj), there’s nothing that we haven’t already known already, but here’s a pretty good summary by Brad & Dan @ The Times…

Quote:
It’s been more than six weeks since the Lakers fired coach Frank Vogel, and the picture for hiring his replacement is probably murkier than anyone involved would’ve hoped.

Three candidates — Golden State Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson, Milwaukee Bucks assistant Darvin Ham and former Portland Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts — will have a second round of interviews in the near future.

Rival executives polled in Chicago during the NBA’s draft combine wondered if the Lakers have come to grips with the biggest challenge they face — replacing a championship-winning coach with someone better is a difficult task.

Those executives said hiring a coach is among their toughest jobs in basketball operations, and after seven teams hired coaches before last season, it’s considered a softer market this summer.

During the season, it was speculated Utah coach Quin Snyder, a former Lakers assistant, could be a top option and that the Lakers had interest in Michigan coach Juwan Howard, who interviewed for the job in 2019. It turned out Snyder wasn’t interested, and people with knowledge of the situation in April said Howard was staying at Michigan to coach his two sons.

Depending on how you view the roster, the next coach will be someone equipped to win with LeBron James in the twilight of his career, someone who resonates with Russell Westbrook or who fully unlocks Anthony Davis’ most-valuable-player potential. Or if you view this as a longer-term process, finding the right coach to help bridge eras of Lakers basketball could be most important.

While the team’s stated timetable still gives them a month to make a decision — Rob Pelinka, the Lakers’ general manger and vice president of basketball operations, said ideally they would have a coach by the June 23 draft — Atkinson, Stotts and Ham also are reported to be candidates for the opening in Charlotte.

While the Lakers figure out whether to add to their pool — perhaps a big name such as Philadelphia’s Doc Rivers — this is what fans should know about the candidates who advanced to a second round of interviews:

DARVIN HAM

Bucks assistant

Experience: 2008-10—assistant, Albuquerque Thunderbirds; 2010-11—coach, New Mexico Thunderbirds; 2011-13—assistant, Lakers; 2013-18—assistant, Atlanta Hawks; 2018-22—assistant, Bucks.

Key connections: Coached for Lakers under Mike Brown, played for Stotts in Atlanta.

The argument for: Ham’s long been considered a future coach in NBA circles. He’s known for communication skills and an ability to reach players. Won a championship with the Bucks in 2021. Playing career should help him relate. Has real momentum.

The argument against: Has never been a coach in the NBA. Spent last decade with one coach, limiting exposure to different styles.

TERRY STOTTS

Former Trail Blazers coach

Experience: 1990-91—assistant, Albany Patroons (CBA); 1991-92—assistant, Fort Wayne Fury (CBA); 1992-98—assistant, Seattle SuperSonics; 1998-2002—assistant, Bucks; 2002-04—assistant/coach, Atlanta Hawks; 2004-05—assistant, Warriors; 2005-07—coach, Bucks; 2008-12—assistant, Dallas Mavericks; 2012-21—coach, Trail Blazers.

Key connections: Coached Carmelo Anthony in Portland, faced Lakers in 2020 playoffs.

The argument for: Regarded as an excellent Xs and O’s coach on offense. Led Portland to the Western Conference finals. Easygoing and experienced, would be a seamless fit. While he’d be a fit with anyone else the Lakers might hire, sources say he doesn’t want a lead assistant job.

The argument against: Would be his fourth coaching job without any titles. Not a strong defensive reputation; struggled at times with in-game adjustments. Would he resonate with the Lakers’ stars?

KENNY ATKINSON

Warriors assistant

Experience: 2004-06—assistant, Paris Basket Racing; 2006-12—assistant, New York Knicks; 2012-16—assistant, Hawks; 2016-20—coach, Brooklyn Nets; 2020-21—assistant, Clippers; 2021-22—assistant, Warriors.

Key connections: Worked for former Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni in New York, spent last two seasons with Pacific Division rivals as an assistant.

The argument for: His work in player development is thought to be top notch. Spent last two seasons working for Tyronn Lue and Steve Kerr, and his current team is making a deep playoff run. Maybe a surprise to be at this stage, but it’s a testament to his strengths.

The argument against: Fit concerns with an older Lakers core, considering his strength is in development, and his high level of intensity.

And here’s a look at one wild card:

DOC (cry me a) RIVERS

76ers coach

Experience: 1999-2003—coach, Orlando Magic; 2004-13—coach, Boston Celtics, 2013-20, coach, Clippers; 2020-22—coach, Philadelphia 76ers.

Key connections: Worked as a player and coach in Los Angeles for the Clippers. Faced Lakers in two NBA Finals, winning one.

The argument for: One of the winningest coaches in history. NBA champion. Has spent parts of five decades involved with NBA as a player and coach. Has experience coaching some of the biggest stars. Would demand autonomy.

The argument against: On a team already overcrowded with stars, is kind of a star in his own right. Has been stubborn at times. Has lost three 3-1 series leads in playoffs, including two with the Clippers. Could be costly to pry away from 76ers.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-05-25/lakers-coaching-search-candidates-terry-stotts-darvin-ham-kenny-atkinson

lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

hire rivers and trade for thibodeau
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mark Medina
@MarkG_Medina

Terry Stotts is intrigued with potentially coaching Russell Westbrook and believes he can help him be more effective and comfortable with his role than he was last season.

But can Stotts intrigue Russ to play in Portland?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers probably don’t realize what a sweet combo it will be if we have Ham as HC and Stotts as the lead assistant but they will likely go ahead and offer the job to Stotts any way
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject:

IG: Stotts supposedly ain’t interested in the lead chair as an assistant.

Quote:
Regarded as an excellent Xs and O’s coach on offense. Led Portland to the Western Conference finals. Easygoing and experienced, would be a seamless fit. While he’d be a fit with anyone else the Lakers might hire, sources say he doesn’t want a lead assistant job.

Either way, it’s been more than a month since we axed Vogs and it’ll be back to the grind with a whole other set of (lesser) options if we continue to operate in this manner. Remember this?

Quote:
The reality is that neither of those perceptions are accurate. Believe them if you wish, but this is a better representation of what actually happened:

Lue was not the unanimous favorite to replace Walton among the Lakers’ many decision-makers in the wake of Magic Johnson’s abrupt April 9 resignation. He was indeed favored over Williams, but there were some nagging fears among a minority of the team’s power brokers — as mentioned here previously — that hiring LeBron’s former Cleveland Cavaliers coach would be giving James too much control in Lakerland.

Lue’s supporters within the organization ultimately deduced that there was only one way Lue could rise to the level of unanimous choice to succeed Walton — by waiting until Williams was no longer available.

Hence the relatively slow pace, spanning a full month, of the Lakers’ search for Walton’s successor.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/5/7/18536037/lakers-rumors-tyronn-lue-first-choice-coach-waited-until-monty-williams-was-gone-lebron-james-power

Please tell me the FO is not doing this again….as if my ax needed more grinding!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
ESPN Sources: The Lakers interviewed former Blazers coach Terry Stotts for franchise’s head coaching job in Los Angeles on Tuesday. Two more assistants will meet with LA in near future — Golden State’s Kenny Atkinson and Milwaukee’s Darvin Ham.

Thanks for relaying the information to Woj, Rob!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
^^All good points.

Last year was a bummer year for all

but

I think people are getting a little carried away......Labron and AD are still very good

It is interesting that the team played better when they went younger around them though and they should consider to pursue that

Dont create a team of veteran players that once upon a time played well.......you have Lebron and AD....you bring Westbrook off the bench if he stays....you keep the young guys that you brought along last year....and you see you have in Nunn has he never had a shot.

The team is not bad talent wise if you do that.....last year was disfunctional

Of course they still have Lebron and AD, but still the rest of the roster was trash.

I agree they need young players. Reaves not getting playing time in stretches last season was comical.

One thing we know now is Lebron can no longer carry one of his crap LeGM rosters. We also know, until proven otherwise, AD isn’t reliable in terms of availability.

So we probably need young guys like Reaves and THT to take another leap or else once LeGrandpa and AD are unavailable, we will be once again one of the worst teams in the league.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
IG: Stotts supposedly ain’t interested in the lead chair as an assistant.

Quote:
Regarded as an excellent Xs and O’s coach on offense. Led Portland to the Western Conference finals. Easygoing and experienced, would be a seamless fit. While he’d be a fit with anyone else the Lakers might hire, sources say he doesn’t want a lead assistant job.

Either way, it’s been more than a month since we axed Vogs and it’ll be back to the grind with a whole other set of (lesser) options if we continue to operate in this manner. Remember this?

Quote:
The reality is that neither of those perceptions are accurate. Believe them if you wish, but this is a better representation of what actually happened:

Lue was not the unanimous favorite to replace Walton among the Lakers’ many decision-makers in the wake of Magic Johnson’s abrupt April 9 resignation. He was indeed favored over Williams, but there were some nagging fears among a minority of the team’s power brokers — as mentioned here previously — that hiring LeBron’s former Cleveland Cavaliers coach would be giving James too much control in Lakerland.

Lue’s supporters within the organization ultimately deduced that there was only one way Lue could rise to the level of unanimous choice to succeed Walton — by waiting until Williams was no longer available.

Hence the relatively slow pace, spanning a full month, of the Lakers’ search for Walton’s successor.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/5/7/18536037/lakers-rumors-tyronn-lue-first-choice-coach-waited-until-monty-williams-was-gone-lebron-james-power

Please tell me the FO is not doing this again….as if my ax needed more grinding!

i was semi joking earlier about Lakers waiting for Ham to be hired so they can't blamed for passing on him. But what do you know, it's one of the stupid little things they actually do!
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Could the plan already be in place? Stotts as HC then a future trade for Dame down the road?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
ESPN Sources: The Lakers interviewed former Blazers coach Terry Stotts for franchise’s head coaching job in Los Angeles on Tuesday. Two more assistants will meet with LA in near future — Golden State’s Kenny Atkinson and Milwaukee’s Darvin Ham.

How i'm reading this: "The Lakers are hoping someone will hire Ham and possibly even Atkinson before they have to go through the motions on a 2nd interview"
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Could the plan already be in place? Stotts as HC then a future trade for Dame down the road?

The plan is for the fanbase and local media to hype themselves on an otherwise ho-hum hire with the .00001% possibility Portland trades its most popular player of all time to its most hated rival for a meager package built around one of its fanbase's most reviled players.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

How i'm reading this: "The Lakers are hoping someone will hire Ham and possibly even Atkinson before they have to go through the motions on a 2nd interview"

That’s not far fetched tbh.

With everyone saying Ham is the clear choice, the relationship Lakers don’t like to have modern basketball people be right.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject:

I understand and share the frustration with the organization but some of the takes in here are absurd.

It's tiring to see all the negative energy in here all the time.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

That’s not far fetched tbh.

With everyone saying Ham is the clear choice, the relationship Lakers don’t like to have modern basketball people be right.

The Lakers would definitely prefer Ham simply get hired rather than have the prospect of hiring Stotts over an available Ham haunt them when DH inevitably leads his team to a better future than ours. They also don't want to have to make an offer he almost certainly would turn down (2 years, a league-bottom salary, say over coaching staff and rotation) and have all those embarrassing stipulations leak to the press.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:
I understand and share the frustration with the organization but some of the takes in here are absurd.

It's tiring to see all the negative energy in here all the time.

I'm not surprised, why do u think Laker fans are so hated lol

Delusional whiners
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dan Woike
@DanWoikeSports

Some news in here about Terry Stotts not being interested in an assistant position

There goes your plan, guys
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 31 of 277
Jump to: