OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7888, 7889, 7890 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers is a mom and pop shop. It's not about what you know, it's who you know. Who needs the very best, when you cod hire your very best friends.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
hype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Westbrook for Dinwiddie/Bertans/THJ

He'd be in the same position with Luka as he's in with Lebron. Westbrook only really has value as the primary ball handler.

To be honest I think Westbrook didn’t like playing for the Lakers, their was already signs he was disgruntled and had a melt down with Vogel, he badly needs a change of scenery more then anything.

Seems like he sure needs a lot of those every single year lately.

That's right. If Westbrook is traded that will be his 5th team in 5 years.

He will still have a way to go to become the most traded player in NBA history -- that honor belongs to Trevor Ariza, who was traded 9 times.

Their is examples of players switching places and settling somewhere, I’m not saying that because I want Westbrook out of LA but he just didn’t like the vibe here and trashed Laker fans.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1529986675941593088?s=21&t=QmdxUEZezfYG3HAYb_vBNQ

Does Ralph know what Adam's bro does?

No idea. I read somewhere some speculation that he was involved in basketball ops but can’t remember where lol.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1529986675941593088?s=21&t=QmdxUEZezfYG3HAYb_vBNQ

Does Ralph know what Adam's bro does?

someone on reddit says he's their social media guy
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Westbrook for Dinwiddie/Bertans/THJ

It's fun how you alternate stern denials about making trade suggestions with all these wacky trade suggestions.

Or maybe you just don't pay attention to which screen name you're logged into.

Mavericks got sent packing and are gonna want to surround Luka with talented players, yes Westbrook isn’t a legit talent but he might do better in a different situation sorry if I bursted your bubble.

It's also fun how you respond to people's posts in a way that has nothing to do with what the person actually posted. You just really enjoy having conversations with yourself.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject:

NBA Trade Report
@NBATradeReport
·
20h
#Sources — Portland Trail Blazers have shown interest in Knicks F Julius Randle. #NBA
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject:

Lakers are clearly straddling the line here and that's how you screw things up.

I think they want to have their cake and eat it.

They want:

1. to have cap space for 2023
2. but still somehow be a contender for 2022-23
3. they don't want to take on deals that would eat into 2023 space
4. but then no one is really worth that cap space (Jokic likely re-signs, and Beal, not my preferred guy and he would have to turn down a lot of $)
5. so we end up basically doing nothing and wasting yet another season.

Have to be decisive. Go all in this season (meaning you likely have to take back deals that go into 2023 to dump Russ) or start dumping everyone for a rebuild (when the Pels have our 2023 pick as a swap).

Rob really fracked up the negotiations with allowing all these swaps (pick swap in 2023, and Pels decide if they want our 2024 or 2025 pick).
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject:

^
The counter argument to that is even if the Lakers went all in, they have a team that has to deal with the Westrook situation in terms of how he fits around AD/Bron, a new unproven coaching staff, and the health of AD/Bron over the season. Even if they go all in for longterm deals, it doesn't automatically equate with success for next season. This is not a Warriors situation where we just need a healthy AD back like they got Klay.

What I want them to do is look at each player they would want to give as not only a player that could help AD/Bron next season, but be a trade asset in the longrun. Some of the names I've heard were ok or good, others not so much. If we're talking taking 2 picks to deal WB, that's just a hard sell probably for them. But that is the only way you may get some actual talent that can do both 1) Help Lebron/AD now 2) Also be trade assets in 2023-beyond.

Once upon a time they had some players that could help AD/Bron win a ring (Or be in the picture) but then also were trade assets. Kuz, KCP, Dennis, Trez etc. Right now they don't have either the players who can help win a ring or the trade assets. If the argument is to bring in longterm contracts for Westbrook's expiring deal to gain players that can help, I understand. But these players need to also be players we can move in a year if Lebron walks. We have to trade for contracts that are viewed as trade assets. This is why it's a very tough position, that Rob is in. He traded good trade assets for a really bad one. Now he needs to find ways to trade back into good assets mode. It's virtually impossible unless you attack some sweetners, like the draft picks, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject:

For example I hear the Myles Turner+Brogdon for WB deal. Like to me this is pipe. Big time pipe. At least straight up. If you're talking us adding 2 draft picks, I can see the incentive for Indiana. Straight up? Sure they want to unload salaries, but neither Turner or Brogdon are so overpaid that you can't get some sort of trade for them going. This is what I have a hard time seeing, how the Lakers can move Westbrook for starting level players who defend/fit around AD/Bron, yet also somehow don't give up draft picks. These players are viewed by their teams as assets, so why would they dump them for 1 year of WB? It only makes sense if the Lakers give them draft picks and young players, so they can get capspace+picks+young players for quality staring level players. This makes sense for both sides, but our FO probably rather us stand pat and wait for 2023 to start fresh.

Pretty much every analyst who has spoken to executives around the league seems to agree that if the Lakers attach draft picks/young players (which they don't really have so it's just th FRPs) then they can get a good WB trade return. By himself, it's going to probably bad contract for bad contract type of thing. We need to refrain from the Deng/Mozgov type of massive role player on decline deals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
The counter argument to that is even if the Lakers went all in, they have a team that has to deal with the Westrook situation in terms of how he fits around AD/Bron, a new unproven coaching staff, and the health of AD/Bron over the season. Even if they go all in for longterm deals, it doesn't equate with success for next season.

What I want them to do is look at each player they would want to give as not only a player that could help AD/Bron next season, but be a trade asset in the longrun. Some of the names I've heard were ok or good, others not so much. If we're talking taking 2 picks to deal WB, that's just a hard sell for me. I rather sit him out until trade deadline.

Once upon a time they had some players that could help AD/Bron win a ring (Or be in the picture) but then also were trade assets. Kuz, KCP, Dennis, Trez etc. Right now they don't have either the players who can help win a ring or the trade assets. If the argument is to bring in longterm contracts for Westbrook's expiring deal to gain players that can help, I understand. But these players need to also be players we can move in a year if Lebron walks. We have to trade for contracts that are viewed as trade assets. This is why it's a very tough position, that Rob is in. He traded good trade assets for a really bad one. Now he needs to find ways to trade back into good assets mode. It's virtually impossible unless you attack some sweetners, like the draft picks.

From most reports, sounds like 1 pick.

Maybe they are waiting to see if LBJ extends for 1 more year, but he may not, and are the Lakers just going to hang out in limbo land indefinitely? I do sense some operational paralysis going on here.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

They want:

4. but then no one is really worth that cap space (Jokic likely re-signs, and Beal, not my preferred guy and he would have to turn down a lot of $)

Have to be decisive. Go all in this season (meaning you likely have to take back deals that go into 2023 to dump Russ) or start dumping everyone for a rebuild (when the Pels have our 2023 pick as a swap).

Rob really fracked up the negotiations with allowing all these swaps (pick swap in 2023, and Pels decide if they want our 2024 or 2025 pick).

I think you've gotten to the point where you're overthinking things and essentially chasing your own tail. We don't really know what the Lakers are planning to do, or even what they're thinking about. You know that the signal can get lost in the noise. Well, right now the noise is deafening.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject:

We are going to suck hard next year just because we are refusing to purge Klutch. I'm proud that I haven't somehow become an alcoholic

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They want:

I think you've gotten to the point where you're overthinking things and essentially chasing your own tail. We don't really know what the Lakers are planning to do, or even what they're thinking about. You know that the signal can get lost in the noise. Well, right now the noise is deafening.

I actually think the strategy is pretty well telegraphed. The Lakers have structured payroll to avoid the repeater tax. They wouldn’t give Caruso or DeRozan a 3rd year, and though they game Tucker an option, he doesn’t have a trade kicker on a deal that will be one year under the mid level (easy to move). They aren’t about to pay on the order of what Golden St did this year.. Remember, we were the only team in the NBA who applied for COVID relief funds.

LeBron will get extended for his max and LA will peddle LFT. We saw it before with Kobe and the Lakers made record profits. Maybe they score a good complimentary piece here or there to make it interesting, or Davis ascends and we look pretty good. But the priority isn’t winning. Our present ownership is more Reinsdorf or Sterling than Dr Buss.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
NBA Trade Report
@NBATradeReport
·
20h
#Sources — Portland Trail Blazers have shown interest in Knicks F Julius Randle. #NBA

Portland roster so bad, they should show interest in all decent players, IG.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

They want:

This is just my guess, but I think things are a little different than you do:

1. The Lakers plan to compete next year on the foundation of LeBron and AD.

2. The Lakers will try to trade Westbrook. However they won't make a deal just for the sake of making a deal. They'll try to find something that makes sense. If they don't, they will try to make it work with Westbrook.

3. Again, the Lakers will not take on long-term deals only for the sake of getting rid of Westbrook. But they will take on long-term deals if the players they get make sense for the team.

4. I'm not sure that the Lakers have a really defined free agent plan. It seems like the Lakers like to keep their options open.

My guess is their overall attitude is if LeBron and AD are healthy, that provides the potential for a contending team no matter who you put around them. If they're not healthy, it doesn't really matter.

And I freely acknowledge I could be very wrong, because it's anyone's guess what the Lakers are thinking now. And I also don't dismiss the idea that if they have a strategy right now, they might discard it for something new if conditions warranted it.

Whatever the Lakers do, it's going to be a roll the dice. There isn't a right strategy and there isn't a wrong strategy. There's just guesses
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Sources: Nikola Jokic has reaffirmed his long-term commitment to Denver in recent days, clearing way to sign a $260M supermax in offseason.

Good good.
Great player. Deserves it.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I actually think the strategy is pretty well telegraphed. The Lakers have structured payroll to avoid the repeater tax. They wouldn’t give Caruso or DeRozan a 3rd year, and though they game Tucker an option, he doesn’t have a trade kicker on a deal that will be one year under the mid level (easy to move). They aren’t about to pay on the order of what Golden St did this year.. Remember, we were the only team in the NBA who applied for COVID relief funds.

LeBron will get extended for his max and LA will peddle LFT. We saw it before with Kobe and the Lakers made record profits. Maybe they score a good complimentary piece here or there to make it interesting, or Davis ascends and we look pretty good. But the priority isn’t winning. Our present ownership is more Reinsdorf or Sterling than Dr Buss.

Parts of that are likely correct. The Lakers aren't going to pull a Lacob and pay massive repeater tax. However, as I've said before, Dr. Buss didn't exceed the norms of the league, either. Lacob is making everyone else look like Ebenezer Scrooge. The Lakers are paying $45M in luxury tax this year. That's not Donald Sterling or Jerry Reinsdorf. In fact, it's aggressive by any reasonable standard. It's just that Lacob is setting an unreasonable standard.

Also, I'm not so sure what will happen with Lebron. I understand why people think that there will be a LFT, etc., but I'm not convinced that the front office and Jeanie would be content with that. I'm much more worried that we'll see another attempt at a quick fix and that we'll be stuck in the mud for years to come.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
The counter argument to that is even if the Lakers went all in, they have a team that has to deal with the Westrook situation in terms of how he fits around AD/Bron, a new unproven coaching staff, and the health of AD/Bron over the season. Even if they go all in for longterm deals, it doesn't equate with success for next season.

What I want them to do is look at each player they would want to give as not only a player that could help AD/Bron next season, but be a trade asset in the longrun. Some of the names I've heard were ok or good, others not so much. If we're talking taking 2 picks to deal WB, that's just a hard sell for me. I rather sit him out until trade deadline.

Once upon a time they had some players that could help AD/Bron win a ring (Or be in the picture) but then also were trade assets. Kuz, KCP, Dennis, Trez etc. Right now they don't have either the players who can help win a ring or the trade assets. If the argument is to bring in longterm contracts for Westbrook's expiring deal to gain players that can help, I understand. But these players need to also be players we can move in a year if Lebron walks. We have to trade for contracts that are viewed as trade assets. This is why it's a very tough position, that Rob is in. He traded good trade assets for a really bad one. Now he needs to find ways to trade back into good assets mode. It's virtually impossible unless you attack some sweetners, like the draft picks.

Maybe they are waiting to see if LBJ extends for 1 more year, but he may not, and are the Lakers just going to hang out in limbo land indefinitely? I do sense some operational paralysis going on here.

If it's a pick for two starting level players, can't see why the Lakers would hesitate. It's probably a lot more than that, IMO, or the players coming back aren't starting level (2-way). I don't believe the Pacers would deal us Brogdon/Turner (Who would be starting 1/5 for us) for Westbrook's expiring K and a draft pick. I think they can do better than that, but I'm no expert.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Sources: Nikola Jokic has reaffirmed his long-term commitment to Denver in recent days, clearing way to sign a $260M supermax in offseason.

Good good.
Great player. Deserves it.

Yes he does
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^

If it's a pick for two starting level players, can't see why the Lakers would hesitate. It's probably a lot more than that, IMO, or the players coming back aren't starting level (2-way). I don't believe the Pacers would deal us Brogdon/Turner (Who would be starting 1/5 for us) for Westbrook's expiring K and a draft pick. I think they can do better than that, but I'm no expert.

I think most reports are just 1 pick, especially b/c some of the targets like Hayward have a longer deal, so how could a team really justify getting a 1 year cap cleaner while the Lakers get possibly 2-3 years of additional deals.

I think the hangup is the Lakers don't have an idea yet of what they want to do for 2023, especially b/c LBJ can't extend until August.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Pretty spot on. The only interesting question for me is whether they choose to pay the large lux taxe bill this year or not. Jeanie's already provided a guidepost - she doesn't think a losing team should be paying $40 million plus in lux taxes. (And it must really gall her to be paying Vogel's final year on top of paying a new coach). So I rather think that this will boil down to whether Lakers ownership/FO think:
- they can be contenders with Westbrook + a new set of vet-mins + maybe Monk (or THT trade return) such that it's worth paying lux-tax 1 more year?
- they can find a trade for Westbrook that makes them contenders AND saves them from repeater tax hell in 2024 (i.e. no big long-term contracts)
- they can dump Westbrook into someone's cap-space, avoid paying lux taxes, and sign some pieces with the resulting roughly $20 million flexibility and live with whatever the results.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

I agree it would be nice to see some decisive decision making.

1) Prolonged coach search is a bit mind boggling...we aren't getting Nurse and we shouldn't want Doc. By all accounts Ham looks to be a really good coaching prospect, just decide, give him a chance to get to the know our existing personnel well before the draft.

2) If we are going to get hosed on a WB trade, then commit and tell the coach he has full autonomy to decide how to use players and if WB has problem, tell him to sit home and we can try again at the trade deadline and if we still don't have a reasonable trade just hold him out.

3) The cap space for 2023 is kind of pointless no real tangible players

4) Get deeply involved in the players off season conditioning, specifically AD
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They want:

This is just my guess, but I think things are a little different than you do:

1. The Lakers plan to compete next year on the foundation of LeBron and AD.

2. The Lakers will try to trade Westbrook. However they won't make a deal just for the sake of making a deal. They'll try to find something that makes sense. If they don't, they will try to make it work with Westbrook.

3. Again, the Lakers will not take on long-term deals only for the sake of getting rid of Westbrook. But they will take on long-term deals if the players they get make sense for the team.

4. I'm not sure that the Lakers have a really defined free agent plan. It seems like the Lakers like to keep their options open.

My guess is their overall attitude is if LeBron and AD are healthy, that provides the potential for a contending team no matter who you put around them. If they're not healthy, it doesn't really matter.

And I freely acknowledge I could be very wrong, because it's anyone's guess what the Lakers are thinking now. And I also don't dismiss the idea that if they have a strategy right now, they might discard it for something new if conditions warranted it.

Whatever the Lakers do, it's going to be a roll the dice. There isn't a right strategy and there isn't a wrong strategy. There's just guesses

The bolded are key. Maintaining flexibility is the best option. You never know what injuries may pop up during the season. A player or two that you don't think will be available might become available come the trade deadline.

So if the Lakers can't get a player that makes sense for Russ this offseason, it won't hurt to keep him around until the trading deadline and at worse, his contract expires.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Parts of that are likely correct. The Lakers aren't going to pull a Lacob and pay massive repeater tax. However, as I've said before, Dr. Buss didn't exceed the norms of the league, either. Lacob is making everyone else look like Ebenezer Scrooge. The Lakers are paying $45M in luxury tax this year. That's not Donald Sterling or Jerry Reinsdorf. In fact, it's aggressive by any reasonable standard. It's just that Lacob is setting an unreasonable standard.

Also, I'm not so sure what will happen with Lebron. I understand why people think that there will be a LFT, etc., but I'm not convinced that the front office and Jeanie would be content with that. I'm much more worried that we'll see another attempt at a quick fix and that we'll be stuck in the mud for years to come.

The current year tax bill is a totally reasonable counter argument to the idea of their being frugal. Perhaps this is my bias, but I see it more as a strategy to thread the needle of getting Lebron to lock in (third star who could take on ball handling responsibilities) while also avoiding repeater. To offset the tax hit they went Uber cheap everywhere else in the short run (coach, front office, in game experience, pick to dump Gasol, didn’t use the full mMLE).

It blew up in their face, so we will have to see how that goes. I’m prepared for a strategy that prioritizes money, saving face, and winning, in that order. You don’t win in this league with that approach.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
For example I hear the Myles Turner+Brogdon for WB deal. Like to me this is pipe. Big time pipe. At least straight up. If you're talking us adding 2 draft picks, I can see the incentive for Indiana. Straight up? Sure they want to unload salaries, but neither Turner or Brogdon are so overpaid that you can't get some sort of trade for them going. This is what I have a hard time seeing, how the Lakers can move Westbrook for starting level players who defend/fit around AD/Bron, yet also somehow don't give up draft picks. These players are viewed by their teams as assets, so why would they dump them for 1 year of WB? It only makes sense if the Lakers give them draft picks and young players, so they can get capspace+picks+young players for quality staring level players. This makes sense for both sides, but our FO probably rather us stand pat and wait for 2023 to start fresh.

Pretty much every analyst who has spoken to executives around the league seems to agree that if the Lakers attach draft picks/young players (which they don't really have so it's just th FRPs) then they can get a good WB trade return. By himself, it's going to probably bad contract for bad contract type of thing. We need to refrain from the Deng/Mozgov type of massive role player on decline deals.

Due to his age, I feel THT could still be looked at as an asset. Then you got 2027/29 and a pick swap in 2028 to F around with.

Attaching one pick with THT to Russ should get a player like Myles along with a salary dumped player. However, we all know how Rob negotiates, so THT + our 2 remaining 1sts and swap seems like it could get it done. In the sense, it’s not really pipe…but it’s definitely an overpay.

I do agree with you tho, we shouldn’t hold our breath and we should refrain from making another risky move just to capitalize on Bron’s remaining years.

The thing I do like about Myles tho is that it’s a great AD investment in that he’s still young and gives AD a defensive stretch 5 allowing dude to play at what he his preferable 4 spot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7888, 7889, 7890 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7889 of 8560
Jump to: