Carlos Boozer trade mess back in 2005
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Carlos Boozer trade mess back in 2005

Back in 2005 there were leaks about Boozer was traded to Lakers and but after it got leaked Jazz fans got mad and Jazz FO pulled out of the deal. You guys remember the deal? Who was included? I was just joined to ClubLakers after that and didn't know LG yet and i kinna missed what the hell happened there. Old timers can enlighten me?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject:

There was an apparent trade discussion with Utah. Something like Boozer for Caron Butler, Vlade, and Devean George. Who knows how far along it was. Jack Haley, who was a studio analyst for us at the time, went on the air with the news that the deal was done.

It wasnโ€™t.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject:

And then remember when we got the crappy version of Boozer years later?
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Last season I went to a game and saw a fan wearing a Gold #5 Boozer jersey.

Now thatโ€™s a fan.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject:

The issue was that the trade was hinged on the details being hush hush in terms of not leaking and Jack Haley who probably got excited went ahead and leaked the news when someone fed him the info, bad move on his part.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Jack Haley!!!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Carlos Boozer trade mess back in 2005

Palin wrote:
Back in 2005 there were leaks about Boozer was traded to Lakers and but after it got leaked Jazz fans got mad and Jazz FO pulled out of the deal. You guys remember the deal? Who was included? I was just joined to ClubLakers after that and didn't know LG yet and i kinna missed what the hell happened there. Old timers can enlighten me?

That year the trade deadline was on a Thursday.

About a week before the deadline, there were all sorts of rumors reported about the Lakers and Jazz discussing a deal. A lot of different names were floating around. Caron Butler was the one constant, but there were a variety of other Lakers reported to be attached to the deal as well.

There were also some rumors of the Jazz sending Butler to other teams as well. It was all pretty typical trade deadline rumor stuff.

On the Sunday before the deadline, the Jazz GM issued a statement that they weren't going to trade Boozer.

The following day, Jack Haley made an announcement on Fox News, reporting the Lakers will trade Vlade Divac, Caron Butler and Devean George to the Utah Jazz in exchange for Boozer, pending league approval.

It never happened. In the aftermath, and in the years since, people have debated what happened. Some think the deal was done but the Jazz pulled out because of negative fan reaction. Some think there was never a firm deal in place and Haley jumped the gun.

I don't believe Haley or anyone from the Lakers or Jazz has ever given a definitive comment on what happened.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -โ‰ฅโ‰ฅโ‰ฅโ‰ฅโ‰ฅBerkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject:

A Kobe/Boozer/Odom big three makes the WCF.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Jack Haley!!!!!

rip
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject:

Rest in peace, Jack Haley
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Yes. Even though we got a better 20 & 10 All-Star in Pau down the line, it came at the risk of wasting 3 of Kobe's PEAK individual years. But Booze was no slouch. Part of me will always be curious what would've happened had we acquired him for that rumored package. Phil probably would've still come back for the 2005-2006 season, and Booze would be an excellent fit in the Triangle.

The way Kobe played in the 2006 and 2007 seasons I believe a core of Kobe/Booze/Odom would've been enough for us to win championships those two seasons and continue to contend beyond, and we would've seen way more 40-60 point games from Kobe in the playoffs than what he ended up with. Then down the line we probably would've still added Fisher, Ariza, and potentially kept Marc Gasol (hard to tell with the butterfly effect).

The only drawback/question mark would've been Boozer injury proneness, but perhaps that would've changed playing and training next to Mamba.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject:

Funny how basketball has changed.

Back then, we would have jumped on that trade. Now, if you have a wing like Caron Butler, you never trade him for a small/defensively challenged 5 like Boozer. In today's NBA Caron still has a place as a starter/3rd option, while a guy like Boozer would struggle IMO. Most teams would use Boozer as a 5 right now not a 4.

17 years ago this was seen as a big win for the Lakers and let down it didn't happen, but even then I recall saying I don't know if it's so bad we lost out. Boozer did turn out to do great with Deron Williams a few years but his defense was never on Pau's level nor did he have the size/intimidation. A front line of Odom/Boozer never could win a ring and close games in the clutch.

Yeah and what ever happened to Haley?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject:

The worst part is we drafted Walton ahead of Boozer in that draft.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I doubt it. Odom was problematic in those days. Anyway, the trade rumors that I remember involved Odom for Boozer.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

The greatest trade never made was Dream for Worthy, AC, Byron back in 1990.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Funny how basketball has changed.

Back then, we would have jumped on that trade. Now, if you have a wing like Caron Butler, you never trade him for a small/defensively challenged 5 like Boozer. In today's NBA Caron still has a place as a starter/3rd option, while a guy like Boozer would struggle IMO. Most teams would use Boozer as a 5 right now not a 4.

17 years ago this was seen as a big win for the Lakers and let down it didn't happen, but even then I recall saying I don't know if it's so bad we lost out. Boozer did turn out to do great with Deron Williams a few years but his defense was never on Pau's level nor did he have the size/intimidation. A front line of Odom/Boozer never could win a ring and close games in the clutch.

Yeah and what ever happened to Haley?

Died
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Luke most overrated player/coach of all time
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Boozer was drafted in 2002. Luke was drafted in 2003.

In 2002, we picked Chris Jeffries in the first round #27; Boozer went in the second round #35.

Luke's draft year was one of the greatest ever for second round picks:

Luke, Steve Blake, Zaza Pachulia, Matt Bonner, Mo Williams, James Jones, Kyle Korver, Jason Kapono, and Willie Green. Two all-stars and 9 guys who had long NBA careers.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Last season I went to a game and saw a fan wearing a Gold #5 Boozer jersey.

Now thatโ€™s a fan.

I give props to that fan.

Btw, how can we have a Boozer thread without talking about his hair meme?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2583679-carlos-boozer-explains-what-happened-that-time-his-hair-into-shoe-polish

He does explain the reason though:

Quote:
Truth be told, I started losing my hair a little bit. ... They came out with this...it's like a hair dye for men called "The Beijing." Well, I had one guy that was like, "Yo, have you ever thought about growing your hair out?" And I was like, "Yeah, I was thinking about it until I saw some of these little bald spots on my head." ... He was telling me, "You grow your hair out. I can cover it up a little bit. Make it look like a regular haircut." So I tried it. And he just made my stuff look like shoe polish up there.

๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kobe8One wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Boozer was drafted in 2002. Luke was drafted in 2003.

In 2002, we picked Chris Jeffries in the first round #27; Boozer went in the second round #35.

Luke's draft year was one of the greatest ever for second round picks:

Luke, Steve Blake, Zaza Pachulia, Matt Bonner, Mo Williams, James Jones, Kyle Korver, Jason Kapono, and Willie Green. Two all-stars and 9 guys who had long NBA careers.

Thanks Active...I just rememb we could have had Boozer and passed.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I doubt it. Odom was problematic in those days. Anyway, the trade rumors that I remember involved Odom for Boozer.

Nope. It was Butler, George and Divac.

And how was Odom "problematic" in any way? He actually had great production for us, especially in the playoffs against the Suns. I remember he had Shawn Marion's number even though Marion was seen as the superior player and got all the accolades.

Just because dude wasn't good enough to be Kobe's Pippen doesn't meant he was problematic.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Nope. It was Butler, George and Divac.

And how was Odom "problematic" in any way? He actually had great production for us, especially in the playoffs against the Suns. I remember he had Shawn Marion's number even though Marion was seen as the superior player and got all the accolades.

Just because dude wasn't good enough to be Kobe's Pippen doesn't meant he was problematic.

Spot on analysis. That Odom vs Marion matchup was all Lamar Odom all the way....the eye test showed Odom clearly outplaying and better than Marion.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Not even close. Boozer was undersized and a poor defender. The Jazz could never get past the Lakers or Spurs because they were too small.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Not even close. Boozer was undersized and a poor defender. The Jazz could never get past the Lakers or Spurs because they were too small.
a front court of Odom, Boozer, and Bynum is not small. Maybe boozer wasn't as versatile as Pau, but I see them making the wcf in 06 if Boozer is on the team.

I'll always wonder what the FO was thinking during the 04 off season. They seriously couldn't get a better trade package for O'Neal than Odom, Butler, a washed up Brian Grant and just one 1st round pick? If they ask for the 2008 pick I'm sure they get it. Imagine having love, Mayo, or Westbrook on those championship teams.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject:

E_Wulf420 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

a front court of Odom, Boozer, and Bynum is not small. Maybe boozer wasn't as versatile as Pau, but I see them making the wcf in 06 if Boozer is on the team.

I'll always wonder what the FO was thinking during the 04 off season. They seriously couldn't get a better trade package for O'Neal than Odom, Butler, a washed up Brian Grant and just one 1st round pick? If they ask for the 2008 pick I'm sure they get it. Imagine having love, Mayo, or Westbrook on those championship teams.

Part of it was being a class organization and only limiting themselves to trade partners which Shaq had OK'd as preferred destinations, as a thank you for everything he had done for the franchise. Another part was Shaq obviously being out-of-shape and slowly declining, so teams weren't willing to take the risk and give up guys like Dirk, Jermaine O'Neal, KG, Wade, etc. And finally all the drama surrounding the Lakers and trade partners knowing that Shaq wanted out, it already put the Lakers at a disadvantage in trade negotiations.

Coulda been worse, though. At worst we got a talented Lamar Odom who ended up being the perfect third option on a championship team and an upcoming young potential all-star in Caron Butler who made for a valuable trade chip (the fact that we "squandered" it on Kwame doesn't make it any less true, especially since in theory it could've netted us someone like Boozer).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: