BUBBLE TITLE - ASTERISK OR NOT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DOES THE CORONA CUP TITLE GET AN ASTERISK?
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
No
82%
 82%  [ 89 ]
Maybe
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 108

Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Anyone rooting for the Celtics because they have a better chance at beating the Warriors…is not a Lakers fan, just a Lebron fan.

On the other hand, anyone willing to call their very own teams title an asterisk, to discredit Lebron…isn’t a Lakers fan, just a Kobe fan.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Anyone rooting for the Celtics because they have a better chance at beating the Warriors…is not a Lakers fan, just a Lebron fan.

Some people, especially newer fans just like their idea of good basketball and their favorite player play. The Lakers/Celtic rivalry is pretty much dead. Laker players/stars we have right now don't even treat it as such; not Lebron, AD, or Russ and other players follow their lead.

Last edited by Outspoken on Sat May 28, 2022 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:

On the other hand, anyone willing to call their very own teams title an asterisk, to discredit Lebron…isn’t a Lakers fan, just a Kobe fan.

There are still Pure Basketball Fans who are also die hard Lakers fans like myself.

I'm a Big Kobe and Lebron fan but if they left the Lakers , I'd root for their individual success to continue while still getting their butts kicked whenever they play the Lakers.
Discrediting that Bubble title for the KOBE only fans is foolish since that 2020 Lakers team was highly motivated which led them to winning that Chip for KOBE and GIGI.

Pinpointing the Pure basketball fan in myself once again for example, I like every single player on this celtics roster minus the flopping Marcus Smart will do from time to time. Every single one of them are hoopers but I still want them to lose just because they play for that trash organization.
I really hope Jayson and Jaylen leave that franchise down the line in free agency

An as for the bubble let these haters continue to try to discredit that chip.
The Courts were still 94 feet long and the rims were 10 feet high.
EARNED.

Imho the people who overlook this fact probably never picked up a basketball and played a serious 5 on 5 full court game in their life.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject:

The whole idea of the asterisk comes from Maris breaking Ruth’s home run record. Ruth never got to play a 162 game season.

Every playoff team got to play in the bubble.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:

I would guess there are many Lakers fans who aren't particularly invested in the Lakers-Celtics rivalry.

We haven't met in the finals for 10 years. We are 30 years away from the Magic-Bird days when the rivalry was really intense.

Not everyone cares about those things. Not everyone cares about ring counts. I suspect there are many people who come to this board who have no real emotional reaction to names like Red Auerbach, Larry Bird, and Kevin Garnett.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

I would guess there are many Lakers fans who aren't particularly invested in the Lakers-Celtics rivalry.

We haven't met in the finals for 10 years. We are 30 years away from the Magic-Bird days when the rivalry was really intense.

Not everyone cares about those things. Not everyone cares about ring counts. I suspect there are many people who come to this board who have no real emotional reaction to names like Red Auerbach, Larry Bird, and Kevin Garnett.

Then they need to educate themselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Eh. As I've explained elsewhere, I'm not invested in the Celtics hate. If it wasn't for the obnoxious Celtics fans and the fact that a good number of people around here would freak out if the Celtics won the title, I wouldn't really care.

I respect those of you who are invested, but it strikes me as an empty ritual of fanhood. Aside from the happenstance that we hit them in the Finals twice in the Kobe era, they've just been another Eastern Conference team that we play twice a year for the last 35 years. During that time period, the Rockets, the Pistons, the Spurs, the Bulls, the Warriors, and the Heat have won more titles than the Celtics. The Celtics are tied with the Mavs, Cavs, Raptors, and Bucks. So now people obsess about title counts when a lot of the titles in question are so ancient that even Jodeke barely remembers them.

If it entertains you to have an arch-villain/arch-nemesis in the NBA, I understand it and have no problem with it. For some of us, it's just echoes of a rivalry that once was. In the last 35 years, we've got 8 titles while the Celtics have 1. Since the merger, the score is 11-4.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

If the Celtics had ten titles instead of 17... I could root for them... I like their players.

But since we are tied I don't want them to win.

Besides, I'm a Mychal Thompson fan so I'm rooting for Klay anyway.

I don't have an irrational hate for the Celtics right now because we aren't playing them and they have mostly humble, likeable guys.

But it will be hard to for us to win two titles while they win nothing so that's the main factor for me.
TrueBlueLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject:

It could have an asterisk for being the most difficult title considering the Lakers had earned home court advantage throughout the playoffs and it was taken away. They also didn't have their usual athlete amenities at their disposal like groupies, nightlife, etc. Not to mention being away from family for an extended period. That title took a lot of discipline.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject:

Ironically the asterisk thing started with the lockout shortened season when the Spurs won (and Phil decided to tweak them), so it is mind if karma that it comes up, but every team had to go through the same thing, and as others have pointed out it was a tougher road, not an easier one. The huge advantage to the Lakers probably was the layoff before the bubble as it allowed AD and Bron to both be healthy and fresh, but that’s true for other teams too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Curious but are people calling the gold medals won in Tokyo in 2021 (for the 2020 Olympics) a Bubble gold? Or an asterisk? Bc the swimmers still swam in the same pools and track stars ran on the same tracks, except bereft of fans. Or does this just apply to the Lakers?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Curious but are people calling the gold medals won in Tokyo in 2021 (for the 2020 Olympics) a Bubble gold? Or an asterisk? Bc the swimmers still swam in the same pools and track stars ran on the same tracks, except bereft of fans. Or does this just apply to the Lakers?

Actually, yes, there are people who have questioned the legitimacy of the 2021 Olympics for a number of reasons, including the pandemic conditions. But more importantly, you're skipping over the real issues with the bubble. It's not just the lack of fans in the stands. It's the fact that it was a completely artificial environment that did not include all of the teams or all of the players, that did not include travel, and that took the players away from their families and ordinary lifestyle. Everyone who was paying attention knew that it was being played to pacify the NBA's TV partners. Like the Tokyo Olympics, it got terrible ratings anyway.

But again, I don't buy the asterisk arguments for the NBA Finals, and I don't think many people would buy an asterisk argument for the Tokyo Olympics. My problem is that it didn't deliver the same entertainment value or satisfaction. I know some people say that they feel otherwise. That's fine.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I haven’t crossed many people who actually care about the recent Olympics. They were the least watched Olympics in recent times. Just as the bubble tournament was. Not many people were interested.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

Not necessarily. People can enjoy basketball without knowing the history of the game. Even if you do decide to steep you in the history of the Lakers, you may well not have an emotional reaction to the Celtics.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

No asterisk. If anything it took away HCA for every team and leveled the playing field. Then the purple and gold cream rose to the top
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Besides... 2020 Lakers > 2021 Bucks > 2022 Dubs/Celtics. IJS
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Besides... 2020 Lakers > 2021 Bucks > 2022 Dubs/Celtics. IJS
Now that you mention it...yes.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject:

When it's the day Westbrick opt out?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject:

That team was so dominant. They were 57-0 when leading after 3 quarters.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

I finally voted after months. No championship deserves an asterisk.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject:

i just wanna know what kinda asterisk we will get for our next title

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
When it's the day Westbrick opt out?

We should collectively mind control him into opting out. I wonder what kind of contract offer it would require for him to do so. If another team offered him, say, 2 years 65 million? 3 yr 100m? Nobody walking in his shoes would opt out. If teams had any smarts, next year would be his final year in the league. His play is pure trash.
eznoh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

Yes because it was tougher. No home court advantage.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject:

The bubble was an extremely hard title to win. It tested the mental toughness of a team more than any normal playoff.

Unless it’s the Lakers who won, then it’s a joke
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Ironically the asterisk thing started with the lockout shortened season when the Spurs won (and Phil decided to tweak them), so it is mind if karma that it comes up, but every team had to go through the same thing, and as others have pointed out it was a tougher road, not an easier one. The huge advantage to the Lakers probably was the layoff before the bubble as it allowed AD and Bron to both be healthy and fresh, but that’s true for other teams too.

I wonder how much not traveling helped LeBron and AD.

I know my back gets jacked after sitting on a plane for a few hours
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: