AD's Off Season Regiment - More Like Shaq's or Kobe's?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:27 am    Post subject: AD's Off Season Regiment - More Like Shaq's or Kobe's?

Noting AD is enjoying the nightlife (https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-lebron-james-wont-appreciate-anthony-davis-injuring-himself-at-a-club-nba-twitter-reacts-as-videos-of-the-lakers-star-enjoying-at-a-party-go-viral/) - hey, its LaLaLand Where Anything is Possible and Available - wonder what people's thoughs on whether AD feels like Shaq (off-season is for rest, regular season is to get in shape/play) or like Kobe (obsessed in getting into the best shape possible, especially after a very disappointing season)?

Of course, it is somewhere in the middle.

Even LBJ is thoroughly enjoying the countless creature benefits and privileges of being a Laker who is a multimillionaire.

Noting that Klay and AD have been affected by injuries over the past two years, could one compare the off-season regiment of these two star players

If AD and LBJ are seemingly healthy, would now be a good time for these two to get together with Westbrook - or are they just waiting for the pre-season to figure out how they can work together.

If AD wants to be the future "Face" of the Lakers for years to come, what responsibilities should he be embracing and what expectations should we have of him (maybe he can be telling Russ that bringing a championship is the "Expectation" that every Laker should have - as a Leader).

LBJ and AD should be the example of holding everybody accountable of having the expectation of winning a Ring. If any player doesn't have that expectation, LBJ/AD should help these players to find a situation/team that only have expectations of getting great stats and just getting into the playoffs.

Black Mamba Mentality Lives On!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject:

No one has Kobe's maniacal devotion. Let's start with that.

AD clearly works on his body. Last summer he really bulked up his upper body, and you could tell, b/c his mobility and agility were affected by it. Early in the season he just didn't have the same pop that he did when he was lighter.

I don't think he's a guy who sits on his butt all summer. Just think getting bulked up was a misguided plan for him.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject:

Thank you for reminding me of one of my favorite Kobe Moments
The Good Ol Days - Kobe Verbal Skills vs Snaquille -

Kobe critical of Shaq's leadership
Oct 27, 2003
https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=1648431
The transcript of Kobe Bryant's interview with ESPN's Jim Gray:
Quote:

GRAY: What was your reaction to Shaq saying the Lakers are his team, and everybody knows it?

BRYANT: It doesn't matter whose team it is. Nobody cares. I don't, Karl [Malone] doesn't, Gary [Payton] doesn't, and our teammates and the fans don't either. There's more to life than whose team this is. But this is his team, so it's time for him to act like it. That means no more coming into camp fat and out of shape, when your team is relying on your leadership on and off the court. It also means no more blaming others for our team's failure, or blaming staff members for not overdramatizing your injuries so that you avoid blame for your lack of conditioning. Also, "my team" doesn't mean only when we win; it means carrying the burden of defeat just as gracefully as you carry a championship trophy.

GRAY: Do you consider Shaq to be a leader?

BRYANT: Leaders don't beg for a contract extension and negotiate some 30 million [dollars] plus per year deal in the media when we have two future Hall of Famers playing here pretty much for free. A leader would not demand the ball every time down the floor when you have the three of us [Malone, Payton, Bryant] playing beside you, not to mention the teammates you have gone to war with for years -- and, by the way, then threaten not to play defense and rebound if you don't get the ball every time down the floor.

GRAY: Shaq says that you have not been a team player. Is he right?

BRYANT: That's ridiculous. I have been successfully sacrificing my game for years for Shaq. That's what Phil [Jackson] wanted me to do, so I did it. Last year Phil told me Shaq was not in physical condition to carry the trust of our offense, so he asked me to do it. But then he saw Shaq was getting upset that the team wasn't running through him, so Phil asked me to pull back and I did. This year is no different; my role is whatever Phil wants it to be. Period.

GRAY: Through out the preseason, your leg and conditioning has been lagging. Are you in the proper shape to start the season?

BRYANT: My knee is not strong enough to play yet. I know it. When it is I will play.

GRAY: Does that mean you will miss the opener [Tuesday] night and other games?

BRYANT: I probably won't play tomorrow night or until I'm ready. But I don't need Shaq's advice on how to play hurt. I've played with IVs before, during and after games. I've played with a broken hand, a sprained ankle, a torn shoulder, a fractured tooth, a severed lip, and a knee the size of a softball. I don't miss 15 games because of a toe injury that everybody knows wasn't that serious in the first place.

GRAY: Kobe, Shaq said if you didn't like what he had to say you can opt out and leave next season. Will you leave the Lakers?

BRYANT: I won't make that decision until the end of the season. I told Shaq last year that I was planning on opting out. He knew before anyone. I told him out of respect for what we have been through together. I thought he should be the first to know. The fact that he acts like this is such a big shock is a mystery to me. If leaving the Lakers at the end of the season is what I decide, a major reason for that will be Shaq's childlike selfishness and jealousy.

GRAY: Do you feel Shaq has been supportive in regards to your legal situation?

BRYANT: He is not my quote unquote "big brother." A big brother would have called to lend his support this summer. I heard absolutely nothing from him. I spoke to Devean [George], Rick [Fox], Mitch [Kupchak], Phil, and our owner Jerry Buss. And Shaq's own Uncle Jerome called and left three messages. Other teammates like Derek [Fisher], Mark [Madsen], and [Stanislav *SLAVA UKRAINI* Medvedenko] left messages as well. Opponents called like [Chris] Webber, [Mike] Bibby, and many others. So did a lot of coaches. Michael Jordan, who didn't have my home phone, tracked it down to lend his support. So did Tiger Woods. But yet from my so-called big brother, I heard nothing.

GRAY: Why not resolve this behind closed doors? Why is this so public?

BRYANT: I asked Phil on Sunday [yesterday] to say something to calm this situation down before it boiled over. But he backed away, so now here we are. I have been a bigger person every time something happened with Shaq, and I don't expect this to be any different. But somebody in this organization had to speak up, because his unprofessionalism hurt us last year, and I don't want it to hurt us this year.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

AD clearly works on his body. Last summer he really bulked up his upper body, and you could tell, b/c his mobility and agility were affected by it. Early in the season he just didn't have the same pop that he did when he was lighter.

I don't think he's a guy who sits on his butt all summer. Just think getting bulked up was a misguided plan for him.

Athletes or people who only work on upper body are lazy. Everything about AD's body and regiment shows me he's lazy in the offseason. In a sport like basketball, POWER comes from your core/trunk and explosiveness comes from your lower body. Everything about your lower body contributes to health and athleticism on the floor.

Who in god's name advised him that getting a bigger upper body would help his game at all?

You need a strong lower half of the body and a rock solid core to be strong and explosive in this game.

Saying his plan was "misguided" is a huge understatement. At worse, it just shows that this guy doesn't put in the time, research or work to prepare his body for an 82+ game season.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Athletes or people who only work on upper body are lazy. Everything about AD's body and regiment shows me he's lazy in the offseason. In a sport like basketball, POWER comes from your core/trunk and explosiveness comes from your lower body. Everything about your lower body contributes to health and athleticism on the floor.

Who in god's name advised him that getting a bigger upper body would help his game at all?

You need a strong lower half of the body and a rock solid core to be strong and explosive in this game.

Saying his plan was "misguided" is a huge understatement. At worse, it just shows that this guy doesn't put in the time, research or work to prepare his body for an 82+ game season.

100%

He should focus on having a stronger lower body and stronger core
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

there has been some physical freaks in the NBA recently(like Lebron, Giannis, prime WB), but AD just won't be one no matter how hard he works. i don't think he is lazy and players should be able to enjoy their vacation just like everyone of us.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: AD's Off Season Regiment - More Like Shaq's or Kobe's?

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Noting AD is enjoying the nightlife (https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-lebron-james-wont-appreciate-anthony-davis-injuring-himself-at-a-club-nba-twitter-reacts-as-videos-of-the-lakers-star-enjoying-at-a-party-go-viral/) - hey, its LaLaLand Where Anything is Possible and Available - wonder what people's thoughs on whether AD feels like Shaq (off-season is for rest, regular season is to get in shape/play) or like Kobe (obsessed in getting into the best shape possible, especially after a very disappointing season)?

Even LBJ is thoroughly enjoying the countless creature benefits and privileges of being a Laker who is a multimillionaire.

Noting that Klay and AD have been affected by injuries over the past two years, could one compare the off-season regiment of these two star players

If AD and LBJ are seemingly healthy, would now be a good time for these two to get together with Westbrook - or are they just waiting for the pre-season to figure out how they can work together.

If AD wants to be the future "Face" of the Lakers for years to come, what responsibilities should he be embracing and what expectations should we have of him (maybe he can be telling Russ that bringing a championship is the "Expectation" that every Laker should have - as a Leader).

LBJ and AD should be the example of holding everybody accountable of having the expectation of winning a Ring. If any player doesn't have that expectation, LBJ/AD should help these players to find a situation/team that only have expectations of getting great stats and just getting into the playoffs.

AD was videoed dancing at a party. So what? That tells you nothing about what kind of training regimen he is doing.

I mean, do you get outraged if an NBA player goes to the movies, or goes to a restaurant, or watches Netflix at home? These are human beings, not robots or video games. They don't work out 20 hours a day.

This is stupid.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

I was wondering if he is Familiar with Knees Over Toes guy. Saw him on Rogan, and have been watching his vids and all I can think of is AD. Lots of work on strengthening the attaching ligaments and tendons, as well as flexibility and strength.

I have no problem with him at parties in the offseason, it's part of the draw of LA. I just hope he is being smart with his training time, and working on the things he needs fixed...Don't Skip Leg Day Bruh.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject:

lakeshowtacular wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

I was wondering if he is Familiar with Knees Over Toes guy. Saw him on Rogan, and have been watching his vids and all I can think of is AD. Lots of work on strengthening the attaching ligaments and tendons, as well as flexibility and strength.

I have no problem with him at parties in the offseason, it's part of the draw of LA. I just hope he is being smart with his training time, and working on the things he needs fixed...Don't Skip Leg Day Bruh.

I think we all forget that AD is almost 30; at some point partying is going to impact his ability to train and recover especially since he's already super injury prone
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AD's Off Season Regiment - More Like Shaq's or Kobe's?

activeverb wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

AD was videoed dancing at a party. So what? That tells you nothing about what kind of training regimen he is doing.

I mean, do you get outraged if an NBA player goes to the movies, or goes to a restaurant, or watches Netflix at home? These are human beings, not robots or video games. They don't work out 20 hours a day.

This is stupid.

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: AD's Off Season Regiment - More Like Shaq's or Kobe's?

MJST wrote:
activeverb wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

This is stupid.
just to highlight that I did not indict AD - just asking the question

AD’s past two years of an injury-filled season where he missed the majority of the seasons does appropriately justify a much higher scrutiny of his off-season preparations on a player that wants to soon be The Face of the Lakers. Vice versa, if he won rings for the past two years - these questions would not have the same traction (IMHO - the realities of what is needed to win a ring would prompt one to always be improving, like players such as Kobe to Klay to Lebron to Magic to MJ to Bird to Curry to others

Injuries are part of the game. Given AD’s past history before he arrives to LA and the last two seasons does merit close examination and accountability.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject:

AD's two injuries this season cost him most of the games. ANY player, whatever workout regimen they had, would have missed around the same # of games. They were some fluky injuries not based on conditioning, etc.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AD's two injuries this season cost him most of the games. ANY player, whatever workout regimen they had, would have missed around the same # of games. They were some fluky injuries not based on conditioning, etc.
Are there fluke injuries - yes

To ignore AD's past history/reputation of injuries before he arrived with the Lakers and seeing what happened the past two season, obvioulsy and clearly something needs to be changed.

Should players expecting MAX contracts that play over 75+ games be paid more than those that only play 50 games (from past history)?

"Professional athletes in the NBA experience a high rate of game-related injuries. Patellofemoral inflammation is the most significant problem in terms of days lost in competition, whereas ankle sprains are the most common injury. True ligamentous injuries of the knee were surprisingly rare. Importantly, player demographics were not correlated with injury rates. Further investigation is necessary regarding the consequences and sport-specific treatment of various injuries in NBA players."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445097/

"When compared with their high school and collegiate counterparts, NBA athletes compete on a longer court, for a greater number of minutes per game and times per week, for a longer season, and at an older age. The aim of this study is to provide an overview of the injuries and illnesses reported by NBA athletic trainers and team physicians and to analyze the injury rates and games missed as a result of individual injuries."
~ Maybe Time Management is needed for AD (limit the MPG and no "Back-to-Back" games.

"The lower extremity was the most frequently injured body area, accounting for 62.4% of all injuries and 57.8% of all game-related injuries (Table 1). These injuries also were responsible for 72.3% of the games that were missed because of injury. The rate of injury per 1000 athlete exposures was statistically higher than any other body area, at 11.1. The next-most-common areas of injury involved the upper extremity and torso, which accounted for 12.2% and 12.9% of all injuries, respectively."

"The ankle was by far the most common joint injured, comprising 1850 injuries and 14.7% of all injuries (Table 2). There were 1123 game-related ankle injuries (17.9%) with an incidence of 3.4 injuries per 1000 athlete exposures. Lumbar spine injuries (n, 1279; 10.2%) were responsible for almost as many games missed (n, 6729) as the ankle injuries (n, 6838). Injuries to the patella (n, 1266; 10.1%) and the knee (n, 1135; 9.0%) resulted in more games missed (n, 8076 and 10 737, respectively) than either of the 2 most commonly injured areas (ankle and lumbar spine)."

Some have stated (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLLoaIK-muE) that it could be that his long limbs that elicit more torque on his joints due to the long moment arm lengths. Obviously there are inherent deficits in his mobility and existing muscular imbalances that hopefully would be addressed in his off-season training. Hopefully he has taken tests such as a FMS screening to assess his biomechanics.

Maybe if AD's body was at the stage where he could have braced or moved slightly when the defender rolled onto to his legs, things would have been different.

Comparisons to other players similar to AD might be worthwhile
Greek Freak
Jokic
Luka
Bam
Embiid
KD
~ presently, AD is behind the vast majority of players listed above - while acknowleding that AD is ***UBER*** talented.

Should the team plan for AD only playing 50+ games?

Should AD (or any other player) expect an Owner to give a long-term MAX contract if they have a history of only playing between 50-60 games

Clips, with Kwahi and PG13 is an example to to be reviewed, regarding the expectations and financial logistics. Kwahi is a great player and PG13 is a very good player, is having them a good thing for teams to win at least 2 championships - assuming that there will be one season where they will both be healthy the entire season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Comparisons to other players similar to AD might be worthwhile
Greek Freak
Jokic
Luka
Bam
Embiid
KD

You do know that Embiid/KD have also missed entire seasons with injury, right?
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject:

You only need one litmus test to see how hard of a worker AD is: how is his conditioning and his frame when he comes back from injury?

Historically he has come back really fat (although his wind has always been pretty good).

The excuse that people make is that with a leg injury you can't do cardio, which is the studipest excuse ever.

This guy is sitting on his ass and always slowing working himself back to game shape.

You can do a million things even with leg injuries.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject:

Neither.

You can't improve if you're constantly trying to get back to the baseline of pre-injury.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Whatever the issue is he hasn’t addressed it.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

You guys realize MJ himself would usually come out of the off-season out of shape right? Dude had a huge gambling habit and smoked a lot of cigars. Even he enjoyed having a big vacation in the off-season.

I’m sure AD works on himself a lot. But no one will ever have Kobe’s absolute insane workout regime. That’s a terrible expectation to set for on any player because Kobe was insane lol.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject:

should be like Giannis, muscular but lean, not bulky, high stamina and can run like deer
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
should be like Giannis, muscular but lean, not bulky, high stamina and can run like deer

Sure I'd love that too, but Giannis is a once in a decade unicorn, even Giannis' own siblings can't quite replicate his otherworldly gifts.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
governator wrote:

Sure I'd love that too, but Giannis is a once in a decade unicorn, even Giannis' own siblings can't quite replicate his otherworldly gifts.

yeah but AD was closest to Giannis, he has the talent/athleticism as well. We all saw it during the championship run. Plus he's still 29 yrs old. AD can do it. (also get to avg 3pt percentage, like 33-34%)
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
governator wrote:

yeah but AD was closest to Giannis, he has the talent/athleticism as well. We all saw it during the championship run. Plus he's still 29 yrs old. AD can do it. (also get to avg 3pt percentage, like 33-34%)

Agree to disagree, AD, as gifted as he is, is not in the same stratosphere as Giannis - no one is.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
governator wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
governator wrote:

Agree to disagree, AD, as gifted as he is, is not in the same stratosphere as Giannis - no one is.

no need to disagree, you're right at this point. Giannis-AD was neck and neck in 2020 but Giannis has left AD in the dust since. I'm just saying the type of workout AD needs should be modeled after Giannis
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

no need to disagree, you're right at this point. Giannis-AD was neck and neck in 2020 but Giannis has left AD in the dust since. I'm just saying the type of workout AD needs should be modeled after Giannis

Fair enough, I can get on board with that.
What I was trying to say is that Giannis is more gifted than AD: for a 7-footer to be that agile, that quick, that strong and yet that graceful and balanced is other-worldly.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Dude’s too busy VR’n himself (pause) in the Portal.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: