Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Saw the full presser.

Imo it went pretty smoothly outside of 2 areas:

1. Russ laughing when camera went on him about sacrifice/coming off bench. Just a bad look.I realize he was probably mocking the question but this just goes to show Russ is not changing.

2. Ham seems to put a lot respect to Russ career accomplishments, but Russ is what he is with declining athleticism so I hope Ham isn’t thinking he’s getting OKC Russ who tbh still had his flaws.

Ham has paid his dues and seems to be ready for this job imo. The key is you can talk like Fisher or Fizdale all you want, the real signs will be behind the scenes when he has to show his tactical abilities and get buy in like Monty, Lue and Udoka have most recently done before him.

Even Lue wasn’t getting proper respect because he had Lebron in Cleveland. Now, Lue is seen as one of the best coaches in the league.

There's the saying, 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks.'

You have many old, future HOF players on the Laker team. None of them seem motivated enough, young enough, or invested enough to play the sort of defense Ham so eloquently pronounced the Lakers must play. And because these old players are readily established, I doubt that a rookie head coach will be able to compel them to change their habits.

I see the Lakers playing with defensive energy for the two or three weeks of the season, but after suffering from some ass-kickings by the better teams in the West, frustration will set in and these older players will revert to doing what they do, which is not play any sort of defense and complain if the head coach gets in their face about it. I think that happened to Vogel, and I predict if will happen to Ham.

Yeah I think that’s why there was an emphasis on getting younger. It was pretty clear to me that guys like Reaves/THT/2nd round draft picks will get the playing time. Ham will play the best players imo.

Outside of LeGrandpa/Russ/AD, I don’t see any other names coming back. Don’t think Melo or Dwight will be asked to come back. Definitely not Ariza.

Bazemore may be back only because he can excel in a Darvin Ham system but he will be like end of rotation type/ injury insurance.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I found him to be an engaging guy. Hard not to root for him. Seems to have more teeth to him than Vogel had and that could go a long way. We will know who he is by the staff he hires and how well the team is competing for him.

He seemed to hint at poaching some of the coaches in Milwaukee. If that happens, we could be on to something. Milwaukee has some league wide respected coaches plus support staff.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
Just saw the press conference. To be honest I wasn’t impressed. Seemed like there was a lot of talk about nothing. No substance at all just lip service. Hate to say it but Ham exudes a sense of phoniness. Can’t really put my finger on it other than to say I feel the same when DFish tries to be articulate.

The big difference is that Fisher never put in the dues like Ham did. Long time assistant coach, raved around the league by so many players and coaches.

Yeah, you're right about that, he is much more qualified than Fisher was. But I know what kfkilla is referring to. My initial reaction was sort of the same, like wow this sounds like a much more qualified Derek Fisher. There was a lot of stuff said there that I just can't believe some of the elite coaches in the NBA being willing to do or say. But our standards are what they are, so I guess be grateful it's not MarK Jackson.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten
Reporting with @wojespn: New Lakers coach Darvin Ham has started to shape his coaching staff by informing assistants David Fizdale, Mike Penberthy and John Lucas III they will not be retained.

Ham has been discussing assistant coaching roles with several possible candidates around the league, sources tell ESPN. That’s a process that’s expected to be ongoing for weeks.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten
Reporting with @wojespn: New Lakers coach Darvin Ham has started to shape his coaching staff by informing assistants David Fizdale, Mike Penberthy and John Lucas III they will not be retained.

Ham has been discussing assistant coaching roles with several possible candidates around the league, sources tell ESPN. That’s a process that’s expected to be ongoing for weeks.

That leaves Phil Handy and Quinton Crawford.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten

Cutting the fat. Love it. All 3 guys should get jobs elsewhere but Ham is doing things his way. Also, Handy seems like a shoe-in to return which is nice to hear.

I do hope we get some guy(s) who really know offense.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten

Cutting the fat. Love it. All 3 guys should get jobs elsewhere but Ham is doing things his way. Also, Handy seems like a shoe-in to return which is nice to hear.

I like this as well. Good sign.

Ham gets to choose his staff. No meddling from Lakers FO/Klutch. Fizdale and Penberthy were basically here because of their connections to Klutch (Fizdale a client and Penberthy was AD’s shooting coach from NO).
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten

good start. I have no idea what Fitzdale added to the team last season other then being lebron's ex coach
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
2019 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten

good start. I have no idea what Fitzdale added to the team last season other then being lebron's ex coach

I think he came up with playing Lebron at center.
Which was great on offense for a while but killed our defense.
It would have worked if only the rest of the players weren't such crap on defense. <pointing at Melo and Monk especially>
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

Great news.

Quote:
Phil Handy, one of the top assistants in the league, has accepted the invitation of new Los Angeles Lakers coach Darvin Ham to be a part of his coaching staff, league sources tell @YahooSports.

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Great news.

Quote:
Phil Handy, one of the top assistants in the league, has accepted the invitation of new Los Angeles Lakers coach Darvin Ham to be a part of his coaching staff, league sources tell @YahooSports.

Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/1534232309762752519?s=21&t=Og5FPpwNQB996y6vWM1mwA

Phil handy!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
Just saw the press conference. To be honest I wasn’t impressed. Seemed like there was a lot of talk about nothing. No substance at all just lip service. Hate to say it but Ham exudes a sense of phoniness. Can’t really put my finger on it other than to say I feel the same when DFish tries to be articulate.

The big difference is that Fisher never put in the dues like Ham did. Long time assistant coach, raved around the league by so many players and coaches.

Yeah, you're right about that, he is much more qualified than Fisher was. But I know what kfkilla is referring to. My initial reaction was sort of the same, like wow this sounds like a much more qualified Derek Fisher. There was a lot of stuff said there that I just can't believe some of the elite coaches in the NBA being willing to do or say. But our standards are what they are, so I guess be grateful it's not MarK Jackson.

Not really sure what you expect from an initial press conference to be honest.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Great news.

Quote:

YES!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
ocho wrote:
Great news.

Quote:

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

Mike Penberthy is out as shooting coach. Any good candidates out there to replace him? 🤔
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Mike Penberthy is out as shooting coach. Any good candidates out there to replace him? 🤔

Fred Vinson
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Car54 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah I think they would move Russ, but seeing that it may be difficult to get a deal to their liking they’re operating as if Ham can come in and save the day. This is the reason Frank was scapegoated, they can pinpoint it to new coach coming in and using WB the way the team better yields results from.

Our bar is a lot lower too, no one talking about championships or bust like we did it in 2019.

I don't believe Russ is an impossible fit.

Russ only "fits" if LeBron completely gives up the point guard duties and hands 90% of them over to Russ.

I don't see that happening. And why should it?

He's been transitioning off that responsibility for some time now. He doesn't really bring the ball up the way he used to. In the half court, he's not driving and kicking anymore. He's focused more on scoring now than orchestrating the offense in my opinion.

However, last year was tough to gauge as our offense was garbage. We never had a competent offense underneath Frank. We really relied on the last of the toothpaste with Rondo to orchestrate and Lebron.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

Couple things, guys....please enlighten me...

1) Phil Handy - Not sure why everyone loves this guy? what does he bring? Obviously he brought nothing last year since we sucked. Just curious why folks love him so much.

2) Penberthy - I think he was just an assistant, not the shooting coach. Once again, if he was the shooting coach, he was crappy at that....we sucked as a team, shooting wise. Worst in the league in free throws, probably close to the bottom.

3) Fizdale always appeared weak to me. No authority, thick bottle glasses. Not sure anyone took him seriously....

Let's hope Ham get's some ass kicking coaches in here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

1) Phil Handy - Not sure why everyone loves this guy? what does he bring? Obviously he brought nothing last year since we sucked. Just curious why folks love him so much.

2) Penberthy - I think he was just an assistant, not the shooting coach. Once again, if he was the shooting coach, he was crappy at that....we sucked as a team, shooting wise. Worst in the league in free throws, probably close to the bottom.

3) Fizdale always appeared weak to me. No authority, thick bottle glasses. Not sure anyone took him seriously....

One of the best, if not the best, developmental coaches in the NBA. Proof is in the pudding. Recently won with Toronto and the Lakers. I think he'll put in some good work with Reaves/Gabriel/THT/Johnson and try to turn them into reliable rotation pieces. I'm happy to have him back.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

One of the best, if not the best, developmental coaches in the NBA. Proof is in the pudding. Recently won with Toronto and the Lakers. I think he'll put in some good work with Reaves/Gabriel/THT/Johnson and try to turn them into reliable rotation pieces. I'm happy to have him back.

Good to know....like I said, I just hear things but our team was so bad last year that I equate the entire staff to losing the locker room.....

I stand corrected....

Who are some great assistant candidates?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

David Fizdale is gone? The small ball era is officially over.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Good to know....like I said, I just hear things but our team was so bad last year that I equate the entire staff to losing the locker room.....

I stand corrected....

Who are some great assistant candidates?

One issue with Vogel was he literally had to be forced to play the younger guys. He kept going back to Avery, Jordan, etc. and sitting out guys like Reaves. I think Handy was working with the younger guys all year long and Reaves really showed a lot of promise when he got the chance.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject:

I like the guy but there is no way a 4 out offense will work with LBJ, AD, and Westbrook.

The bottom line is we need shooters, we need wing players and we have minimal capital. Even healthy we will be behind: the Warriors, Suns, and Clippers in our own division

I'll watch again but after last season I don't know how any of you are still excited about November of 2022 with Westbrook as the starting pg.

Fool me once
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 53 of 277
Jump to: