Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

Ham's "shot in the face" comment was interesting.....

Is it better to be shot in the face, or have a bunch of players who can't shoot the basketball, and two highly paid superstars who don't like to play defense?

Being shot in the face may not be all that bad, especially if it means you have players who can shoot and play D.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject:

^That was a boss quote from yesterday haha

Quote:
“I was shot in the face by accident, April 5, 1988,” Ham said Monday. “You go through something like that, it’s going to be one of two things. It’s going to make you fearful or fearless. It made me fearless. I don’t feel no pressure. It’s basketball.” Coaching LeBron and the Lakers, he said, isn’t pressure. “This here is a challenge,” Ham said.

Coach forgot the other option tho. You can also be a brodie or be browless if shot in the face. Just ask AD.

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I liked what I heard from Ham.
The team definitely needs some toughness and some fire.
Hoping he can bring in some X's and O's staff to round things out.

Who is the idiot reporter that mentioned bringing in Russ off the bench?
Stupid question to ask at an introductory press conference.

Our man Emplay got to ask a question. Unfortunately he forgot to introduce himself beforehand
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
I like the guy but there is no way a 4 out offense will work with LBJ, AD, and Westbrook.

The bottom line is we need shooters, we need wing players and we have minimal capital. Even healthy we will be behind: the Warriors, Suns, and Clippers in our own division

I'll watch again but after last season I don't know how any of you are still excited about November of 2022 with Westbrook as the starting pg.

Fool me once

We have the same issues as we did a few days ago. If he's good or bad, player and team issues remain. Health, AD will he/won't he be dominant, age, shooting, defense. I guess our defense may pick up. West is the West. GS, Memphis, Dallas, Denver, Clippers, Pelicans, Twolves, Jazz. Everything is about relative status. None of those teams have age as an issue. I guess we could have the best two players of any of those teams, if healthy and not worn down. Big ifs. Still no shooting, unless Monk and Nunn become playoff-ready gunners vs other playoff teams' gunners. Big ifs. Defense. Big if.
End by just saying if Ham does get this team to the Finals (i.e. the minimum for our Lebron era expectations), he'll have amazed me. Actually, end by saying it's all about whether AD is actually a top 5 player (which implies being available for the season and all the way through the playoffs) or the player we've seen lately.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject:

LFG Coach Ham!!!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Coach said a lot of good things.
But one thing he didn't say, which was very smart was: we want Russ to be Russ.

Instead talking of sacrifice and defense was brilliant.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

He’s not gonna beat around the bush like some others did. And from the look of it Russ respects it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
epic_ wrote:

He’s not gonna beat around the bush like some others did. And from the look of it Russ respects it.

Russ said a bunch of things about "sacrificing" last summer too. And then the season started and it was rubbish. As Ham said, facts over feelings. And if Russ can't shoot the 3 or is playing horrible defense, Ham hopefully brings him off the bench.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject:

Gary Payton was an elite defender, his entire career. Even then, late in his career when he came to the Lakers, it was tough for him to just play off Kobe/Shaq and not have the ball as much. Even then, at least he had the all time great defensive IQ and some elite defensive skills (hands, anticipating etc) that helped the team to be great.

Westbrook will not turn into that, because he hasn't ever been that player. That's what I saw last year. I never really watched Westbrook play aside from when he played us. When you actually watch him play you realize he's like Melo. He's got so many bad habits on defense, he's not quick enough anymore, and he's not great at playing angles. These won't suddenly change because instead of a white non-NBA player coach telling him something instead of a man of color who was once a NBA player. Lets cut that stuff out, it will not be the reason WB changes his game.

What could happen is WB see that his career is heading down the tubes and instead of pouting in the role he had, he will embrace it a bit more. That's more realistic, especially since he's heading into FA and another bad season and he may not even get the full MLE. So what I see happening is not that at 34 years old he will become this elite defensive player that Ham thinks he can be, I think what we will see is him pout less and be more better of a teammate than he was last year. He didn't have trust with Vogel (and vice-versa) and can probably have that with Ham. Weird we supported Westbrook on this, and that says all it should about Pelinka, Jeanie and co. they have no loyalty to the little/non-big names that get you the titles (Caruso, Vogel, etc) it's all about satisfying the stars and big names. This won't get you a title, but at least the team will be in the playoffs with better health and respect for the coach (from WB).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject:

Wolf, nothing I've seen in Russ's career tells me he's going to do such a dramatic turn about face. If anything, I'd argue that he may try to force his way on another team where he can be the "man" and put up stats. His exit interview was revealing where again, he talked about how he didn't average a triple double. That's his mindset.

It's a contract year and I doubt he will transform into a guy who will sublimate his game and stats. I think it's far more realistic Ham won't buy his B.S. and benches him for say, Nunn, or the Lakers bite the bullet to get Russ off the team. I don't think the impending FA is going to help his behavior as he may be anxious to pad his numbers again heading into FA.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject:

Ham said Russ would be expected to shift his effort to defense and play off the ball offensively. I guess if he gets with the program, it’s a win. If (when) he doesn’t, it will be made clear who the problem is. It’s not a bad strategy for the front office actually. Russ is the lightning rod they need.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Russ has increasing interest in getting out. Not enough to opt out mind you, though maybe he takes a pretty big buyout (?). If the Lakers could get the full MLE that might be a productive “trade”.
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject:

WB needs to realize this is the last year of his career. Its play well or never play again.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Ham's "shot in the face" comment was interesting.....

Is it better to be shot in the face, or have a bunch of players who can't shoot the basketball, and two highly paid superstars who don't like to play defense?

Being shot in the face may not be all that bad, especially if it means you have players who can shoot and play D.

Maybe i'm reading this wrong, but are you comparing being shot in the face to coaching players that can't shoot?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Yep. Everyone is gonna be accountable.
If you're slipping on defense, it'll be pointed out in the film room.
If you keep making mistakes, you gotta come out.

Not just Rus, but everyone. Playing hard, sacrifice and accountability.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lakers/status/1535316504777920512?s=21&t=BdTJ6OFzaQKU8qgXO_qkYg

LeCalculated Lakers. Lots of Russ.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakers/status/1535316504777920512?s=21&t=BdTJ6OFzaQKU8qgXO_qkYg

Russ really trying to be a teacher's pet.

Until the teacher says "homie don't play that" and exiles him.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Russ really trying to be a teacher's pet.

Until the teacher says "homie don't play that" and exiles him.

AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

Darvin on DP Show

https://twitter.com/TheLakersReview/status/1537507983621386240?s=20&t=xIRBB5k7s5glT56RojjLGQ
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject:

It’s good to see Darvin Ham in a positive spirit going on show tours talking good about the players, Hopefully they listen.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Gary Payton was an elite defender, his entire career. Even then, late in his career when he came to the Lakers, it was tough for him to just play off Kobe/Shaq and not have the ball as much. Even then, at least he had the all time great defensive IQ and some elite defensive skills (hands, anticipating etc) that helped the team to be great.

Westbrook will not turn into that, because he hasn't ever been that player. That's what I saw last year. I never really watched Westbrook play aside from when he played us. When you actually watch him play you realize he's like Melo. He's got so many bad habits on defense, he's not quick enough anymore, and he's not great at playing angles. These won't suddenly change because instead of a white non-NBA player coach telling him something instead of a man of color who was once a NBA player. Lets cut that stuff out, it will not be the reason WB changes his game.

What could happen is WB see that his career is heading down the tubes and instead of pouting in the role he had, he will embrace it a bit more. That's more realistic, especially since he's heading into FA and another bad season and he may not even get the full MLE. So what I see happening is not that at 34 years old he will become this elite defensive player that Ham thinks he can be, I think what we will see is him pout less and be more better of a teammate than he was last year. He didn't have trust with Vogel (and vice-versa) and can probably have that with Ham. Weird we supported Westbrook on this, and that says all it should about Pelinka, Jeanie and co. they have no loyalty to the little/non-big names that get you the titles (Caruso, Vogel, etc) it's all about satisfying the stars and big names. This won't get you a title, but at least the team will be in the playoffs with better health and respect for the coach (from WB).

Who said that? At least out loud?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I am not trying to be offensive here, and I am trying to choose my words carefully, but after seeing that video clip, I can't help but wonder if the Laker players (many of whom are social activists) lobbied for, and will play harder/more effectively for Coach Ham, being that he is much more "relatable" to them than Vogel.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I am not trying to be offensive here, and I am trying to choose my words carefully, but after seeing that video clip, I can't help but wonder if the Laker players (many of whom are social activists) lobbied for, and will play harder/more effectively for Coach Ham, being that he is much more "relatable" to them than Vogel.

They won a ring under Frank. Then the team quit on him. Of course they will play better under Hamm because it will be hard not to. IMHO it has nothing to do with him being black, or an ex-player.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject:

The love affair tour between Ham and Westbrook is making things superstitious, I mean good lord the guy is 33 and has been playing the same way for years, Ham needs to stop acting like he is Jesus.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The love affair tour between Ham and Westbrook is making things superstitious, I mean good lord the guy is 33 and has been playing the same way for years, Ham needs to stop acting like he is Jesus.

I know people get on you here, including myself, but what tf does this even mean. Love affair tour, making things superstitious, and Jesus?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Aren’t you the same guy who thought Deandre was gonna come here and be good?

Last edited by Car54 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 54 of 277
Jump to: