Has anyone here lost hope?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject:

I’ll put it this way. I don’t think our next championship roster will have any of our current players on it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject:

Yes.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
You know this fanbase is something else when you get this thread only 2 seasons after their last championship.

How about management gutting the entire team and the head coach 2 seasons after a NBA championship.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:

I see that the Lakers have multiple TV shows going on. It's like Jeanie and Co. are just caring about the adulation rather than constructing a sustainable winning product.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:
You know this fanbase is something else when you get this thread only 2 seasons after their last championship.

You can look at it that way, or you can look at it as two months after missing the playoffs with a roster with multiple future Hall of Famers and a $45M luxury tax bill. The bubble title was great, but does it validate the way that the team is being run?

See…this right here is my biggest gripe with our recent title. Certain folks (the most detrimental being ownership) actually use it to justify our current FO’s bball decisions.

Right now, Brad Stevens looks like a stud executive. Win or lose, the most interesting aspect tho is if Boston looks to be a legit contender next year. It’s about sustaining a title run. That was biggest issue with Mitch as well. He took West’s team and just ran it into the ground rather than sustain a Shaq/Kobe duo. Of course he made his own mark with pairing Pau with Kob later, but you can argue that just like the Kob/Shaq pairing, the Kob/Pau duo should have led to more titles especially with Phil at the helm. But just like shipping out Shaq a bit prematurely, they did the same with Phil and then overlooking him in favor of MDA…I’m still big MAD about that one.

All in all though, Shaq/Kob led to 4 Finals appearances in 5 years. That’s a legit bball ops. Kob/Pau led to 3 Finals in 3 years. Again that’s validation for your bball ops.

Same thing with the dubs who continue to get there…RC Buford with the Spurs before and of course all of Bron’s teams before coming to LA. So if Stevens continues to make Boston a title threat, his executive game is legit.

Meanwhile Rob robbed us of Bron’s current window. In 4 seasons, we’ve only managed to progress deep into the playoffs once. That’s a failure imho.

For those stating that Rob constructed that title team tho…here’s the counter: just remember that was a contingency option after we struck out on key names in 2018/19 free agency. Also recall that Rob blew that title team up the first chance he got. So maybe he too doubted his own construction of that team and if they could sustain a continued title run throughout the years.

Please get it right. Brad Stevens became an executive this season but the team was mostly built by Danny Ainge. Stevens only put the finishing touches on this Celtics team.

Ainge drafted Tatum, Brown, Timelord, Pritchard, Grant Williams, Marcus Smart. Stevens got Derek White and Horford back while getting rid of Kemba Walker and he picked Ime Udoka as his successor.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

Nope. And never will.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I see that the Lakers have multiple TV shows going on. It's like Jeanie and Co. are just caring about the adulation rather than constructing a sustainable winning product.

this is silly.
Content is king. Its an incredible brand that has a growth mindset.

They hired the coach most wanted, and apparently gave him the control that most wanted.

They pay for players and now coaches.

This content could be added revenue streams. Where is there a problem?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
We all knew that we went all in on a short contention window. Unfortunately, the credit card bill is coming in with a ton of interest added. Things are going to be miserable for a fairly long time unless we are VERY LUCKY.

I am not caught up with the leprechauns. Fan bases and mouth pieces are fickle and jump at the hot hand. I know many fans in my area (Celtic area) were ready to give up on the Tatum/Brown bandwagon both last season and the beginning of this season. Now everyone is sticking their chest out and are forgetting what they previously said.

I don't buy the long time, ASSUMING Hamm is who we think he is. From the outside looking in he is respected which means guys will want to play for him.

If he is all about effort and D we will be at worst a team that can grind into the playoffs. Now add picks and money in a couple years.

I genuinely feel , based on the Hamm hype and his potential, that we are in a really good place. He just needs to be able to get his kind of players.

I appreciate your take, but even a great coach is only going to take us so far without having the pieces to work with. A good coach will be hard pressed to overcome the lack of future draft capital, penny pinching by the ownership, and overall questionable decision making by the FO. Even if and when we have money, there is no guarantee we strike gold in the FA market (our track record is not good in this regard). I really do not think we are in a really good place (hopefully I'm wrong). In fact, I think we are in a really bad place and there is potential that it could get worse before we turn things around.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

Hello? I've lost hope since last season already. Why do you think I've been very adamant about an ownership change? Nine years under Jeanie and we missed the playoffs like six times while winning one very, very fluke championship. She's the root of all our problems. Her practice of nepotism has turned the Lakers front office into a family gathering.

As long as Jeanie is still owner and the front office remains the same, I don't expect much improvement from the Lakers. She has turned the Lakeshow into a TV Show. Now people could laugh at the Lakers on and off the court. Good job, Jeanie!

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:

You can look at it that way, or you can look at it as two months after missing the playoffs with a roster with multiple future Hall of Famers and a $45M luxury tax bill. The bubble title was great, but does it validate the way that the team is being run?

See…this right here is my biggest gripe with our recent title. Certain folks (the most detrimental being ownership) actually use it to justify our current FO’s bball decisions.

Right now, Brad Stevens looks like a stud executive. Win or lose, the most interesting aspect tho is if Boston looks to be a legit contender next year. It’s about sustaining a title run. That was biggest issue with Mitch as well. He took West’s team and just ran it into the ground rather than sustain a Shaq/Kobe duo. Of course he made his own mark with pairing Pau with Kob later, but you can argue that just like the Kob/Shaq pairing, the Kob/Pau duo should have led to more titles especially with Phil at the helm. But just like shipping out Shaq a bit prematurely, they did the same with Phil and then overlooking him in favor of MDA…I’m still big MAD about that one.

All in all though, Shaq/Kob led to 4 Finals appearances in 5 years. That’s a legit bball ops. Kob/Pau led to 3 Finals in 3 years. Again that’s validation for your bball ops.

Same thing with the dubs who continue to get there…RC Buford with the Spurs before and of course all of Bron’s teams before coming to LA. So if Stevens continues to make Boston a title threat, his executive game is legit.

Meanwhile Rob robbed us of Bron’s current window. In 4 seasons, we’ve only managed to progress deep into the playoffs once. That’s a failure imho.

For those stating that Rob constructed that title team tho…here’s the counter: just remember that was a contingency option after we struck out on key names in 2018/19 free agency. Also recall that Rob blew that title team up the first chance he got. So maybe he too doubted his own construction of that team and if they could sustain a continued title run throughout the years.

Please get it right. Brad Stevens became an executive this season but the team was mostly built by Danny Ainge. Stevens only put the finishing touches on this Celtics team.

Ainge drafted Tatum, Brown, Timelord, Pritchard, Grant Williams, Marcus Smart. Stevens got Derek White and Horford back while getting rid of Kemba Walker and he picked Ime Udoka as his successor.

Apologies I did not include the details/minutiae in my post. I don’t really follow or care to detail the cbags like that. But can you really blame me…posting my Laker-centric takes here at LakersGround.net?

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It's not Jeanie I worry about.

It's "and Co." that I do.

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
We all knew that we went all in on a short contention window. Unfortunately, the credit card bill is coming in with a ton of interest added. Things are going to be miserable for a fairly long time unless we are VERY LUCKY.

There are ways to make a quick rebuild. It's the nuclear button no one wants to press. I wouldn't press it. I think Lebron gives us the best chance to win, but if he was traded, Deandre Ayton, Cam Johnson and a first round pick, that would jumpstart a rebuild and give Lebron his best chance to win on another team. I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I am not caught up with the leprechauns. Fan bases and mouth pieces are fickle and jump at the hot hand. I know many fans in my area (Celtic area) were ready to give up on the Tatum/Brown bandwagon both last season and the beginning of this season. Now everyone is sticking their chest out and are forgetting what they previously said.

I don't buy the long time, ASSUMING Hamm is who we think he is. From the outside looking in he is respected which means guys will want to play for him.

If he is all about effort and D we will be at worst a team that can grind into the playoffs. Now add picks and money in a couple years.

I genuinely feel , based on the Hamm hype and his potential, that we are in a really good place. He just needs to be able to get his kind of players.

I appreciate your take, but even a great coach is only going to take us so far without having the pieces to work with. A good coach will be hard pressed to overcome the lack of future draft capital, penny pinching by the ownership, and overall questionable decision making by the FO. Even if and when we have money, there is no guarantee we strike gold in the FA market (our track record is not good in this regard). I really do not think we are in a really good place (hopefully I'm wrong). In fact, I think we are in a really bad place and there is potential that it could get worse before we turn things around.

We need an entirely new team. However, if he can at the very least make us scrappy and on the "uptick" + picks coming up and money we can eventually do something. The best ball all year was to end the season when our no names tried. Get that type of effort from everyone on both sides, most nights we will have enjoyable games to watch with a rebuild coming.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

This is true, though the finishing touches matter. I don't like Ainge very much, but I'll give him credit for a successful run in charge of the Celtics. Before Ainge took charge, the Celtics had been largely irrelevant for 20 years. The highlight of those 20 years may have been the Rick Pitino rant. Ainge got them a title and another trip to the Finals, then rebuilt them into a consistent playoff team for a decade. It's not like everything he touched turn to gold (Gordon Hayward jumps to mind), but he did pretty well with a team that is middle of the pack in revenue.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

There are ways to make a quick rebuild. It's the nuclear button no one wants to press. I wouldn't press it.

The sooner you press it, the sooner you could get it over with and start the rebuild. Warriors have proven that they could build a dynasty with Steph and Klay and now Foston is looking like they could be building one with Tatum and Brown. Not sure what more evidence do the Lakers need in order to follow that route.

Getting aging superstar for free isn't that good anymore. Trading for them is even worse. The Lakers still seem to embrace that outdated concept.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

There are ways to make a quick rebuild. It's the nuclear button no one wants to press. I wouldn't press it. I think Lebron gives us the best chance to win, but if he was traded, Deandre Ayton, Cam Johnson and a first round pick, that would jumpstart a rebuild and give Lebron his best chance to win on another team. I wouldn't do it.

That's not a good trade, fwiw.

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

It's a horrible trade for us. I just presented the nuclear option.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:

This is true, though the finishing touches matter. I don't like Ainge very much, but I'll give him credit for a successful run in charge of the Celtics. Before Ainge took charge, the Celtics had been largely irrelevant for 20 years. The highlight of those 20 years may have been the Rick Pitino rant. Ainge got them a title and another trip to the Finals, then rebuilt them into a consistent playoff team for a decade. It's not like everything he touched turn to gold (Gordon Hayward jumps to mind), but he did pretty well with a team that is middle of the pack in revenue.

First of all, Danny Ainge is with Utah now. You don't have to give him any credit. Boston was terrible with him at the helm.

Second of all, if LAL had Boston's picks, they'd have a decade long dynasty instead of a potential one-hit wonder.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

I'd just let go of all the salaries and wait for free agency.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Assuming GSW wets the bed, a nuclear trade would be

bron= Kuminga, wiggins pick.

Replace bron on GSW right now (assuming healthy) they are up 3-0.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Ditto. I want to rebuild with the cap space in 2023.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Beal likely takes the Wiz deal, and Jokic takes the supermax. Who is there to sign in 2023 that doesn't become the next Moz/Deng?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Beal likely takes the Wiz deal, and Jokic takes the supermax. Who is there to sign in 2023 that doesn't become the next Moz/Deng?

Exactly. People just think capspace is good but they don't even know who they could get. Just like draft picks, the capspace is only as valuable as the person spending it. If you have an incompetent front office, it doesn't matter how much capspace or how many draft picks you have, they still would screw up.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

I'm not even think that soon tbh. I just want 2 young stars longer than 4 years together. The dream is Luka.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

I'm realistically thinking 2024 cap space is what we are going for.

LBJ will likely do a 1 year extension. And we go into 2024 with AD and possible cap space for 2 max FAs. (Brown, Murray, KAT, Booker).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: