The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1812, 1813, 1814 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I hope Bron is keeping his word about working on his free throw shooting this summer.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
I hope Bron is keeping his word about working on his free throw shooting this summer.

Shot 76% last season which is pretty decent for him... His highest since 2012.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Shot 76% last season which is pretty decent for him... His highest since 2012.

Highest since 2009 actually. 78%.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Steph n Bron, a race to 5, Bron knows it
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

What does this mean?

There really isn’t much that can be done to change the current situation. Steph has the advantage of being on a contender. James is the leader of a cluster**** of a roster with minimal chance of playoff success. James has no shot at passing Curry. Unless he somehow manages to force a trade to a contender.

James knows he is hunting other personal lifetime achievements, not championships anymore.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject:

Steph and LBJ are on different tiers. LBJ is in the GOAT discussion, Steph is not.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Steph and LBJ are on different tiers. LBJ is in the GOAT discussion, Steph is not.

But if Curry wins back to back FMVP, the discussion might change
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Curry is going to jump to all time GOAT? I don’t see it. I can see top 10, not top 3 like LBJ. I would be surprised if the Warriors made it back next year. Dray/Klay looking very mortal now.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Absolutely agree.

Unfortunately that discussion has nothing to do with this upcoming Laker season and how competitive our team will be.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Curry is going to jump to all time GOAT? I don’t see it. I can see top 10, not top 3 like LBJ. I would be surprised if the Warriors made it back next year. Dray/Klay looking very mortal now.

I don't see it either but I am sure there will be discussions about it
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't see it either but I am sure there will be discussions about it

I think that will be mostly from Steph fans. Tough to see Steph being in the MJ/KAJ conversation.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

it will never change. curry has never been considered the best player in the league for a year let alone career. KD was considered better than curry this last year and freak is by far and away the best player in the game.

Once we get through the moment of recency bias the glasses will clear up. Steph is the greatest shooter in history and that's where it ends.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
governator wrote:

What does this mean?

There really isn’t much that can be done to change the current situation. Steph has the advantage of being on a contender. James is the leader of a cluster**** of a roster with minimal chance of playoff success. James has no shot at passing Curry. Unless he somehow manages to force a trade to a contender.

James knows he is hunting other personal lifetime achievements, not championships anymore.

Prob means that Bron would be more motivated to move the remaining FRPs of this decade to flip WB, can’t be GOAT when someone in your generation has more chips than you
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

there will never be a day when anyone in their right mind thinks (career-wise) steph>Bron.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

From a big picture perspective, Lebron ended that discussion (except for hardcore Curry fans) in the 2016 Finals. If the Warriors had won the title coming off a 73-win season with Curry winning a back-to-back MVP, it would be a VERY different discussion. But that didn't happen, and the Warriors proceeded to add Durant, who won the next two Finals MVPs.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
governator wrote:

What does this mean?

Prob means that Bron would be more motivated to move the remaining FRPs of this decade to flip WB, can’t be GOAT when someone in your generation has more chips than you

IMO that would be bad business. James and the Lakers have had a nice run. But the competitive phase is over. Now it is about managing the lifetime achievements and starting the rebuild in a season or two.

I find it kind of funny how the narrative has been to “not waste any time” as the sands of the hourglass run out on James. Yet the team decisions are squandering Davis’ years with all the roster moves to protect James.

Even if Davis gets healthy and plays as a top 5 player, is their any real chance they compete? Seems unrealistic at the moment. Maybe there will be some surprise moves that create a solid team. Using the FRPs should not be part of the equation though.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

I don't think anything will put Curry in the GOAT discussion. He's already the greatest shooter ever, but he isn't really a great defender. If you wanna be in the GOAT discussion you have to be the best offensive and defensive player of your generation/class. Curry might take the helm of 2nd best PG ever if he wins a ship and FMVP.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
I don't think anything will put Curry in the GOAT discussion. He's already the greatest shooter ever, but he isn't really a great defender. If you wanna be in the GOAT discussion you have to be the best offensive and defensive player of your generation/class. Curry might take the helm of 2nd best PG ever if he wins a ship and FMVP.

Magic wasn't a great defender and he's always been squarely in the GOAT decision, so I think you are using an arbitrary criteria that doesn't really matter to most people.

What hurts Curry is he was a late bloomer. He didn't average 20 ppg. until his 4th season, and he didn't make an all-star team until his 5th season.

If he plays long enough he may mount enough accomplishments to overcome that. But more likely, he'll end up just outside the GOAT short list, with guys like Kevin Durant and Hakeem.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

Magic wasn't a great defender and he's always been squarely in the GOAT decision, so I think you are using an arbitrary criteria that doesn't really matter to most people.

What hurts Curry is he was a late bloomer. He didn't average 20 ppg. until his 4th season, and he didn't make an all-star team until his 5th season.

If he plays long enough he may mount enough accomplishments to overcome that. But more likely, he'll end up just outside the GOAT short list, with guys like Kevin Durant and Hakeem.

This where it gets funny. Magic at one point or another was considered best player in league. Steph has never been. Even this past year he wasn’t near freak, kd was called better.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

This where it gets funny. Magic at one point or another was considered best player in league. Steph has never been. Even this past year he wasn’t near freak, kd was called better.

I hear what you're saying, but these kind of things are often fluid. If Curry mounts enough accomplishments, people might look back in retrospect and decide he was the best player in the league at some point. Or they'll decide he was the co-best player in the league for a spell, a la how some people see the Shaq/Duncan/Kobe years.

Ultimately, I don't think Curry has a chance of really being in consideration for GOAT. I think that's really going to be an MJ vs. Lebron debate. But Curry has a chance to get on the short list with guys like Duncan, Shaq, etc.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Won't be surprise if Curry and the Warriors wins a couple more titles in the next 5 years... They are probably one of the best built team right now to sustain and have another run with them. Mixture of great vets and young guys... They remind of the Spurs when TD/Parker/Manu were getting older. Then they added guys like Kawhi and Green.

Also it seems like the league now is more wide open than what it was 3-4 years ago... Reminds of the 90s when the league competition suddenly was not the same when Lakers/Celtics/Pistions finally all got old. Bulls was the only team left in stack. I never thought Bulls really beat any all time teams during their 6 title runs. They beat a watered down Lakers team in the Finals, and beat an old PIstons team. I can see the Warriors having this same type of success and advantage because of lesser quality competition.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Actually feel differently. I think this may be it. Klay and Dray really looked like they’re declining and there is going to be the disease of me with so many guys up for extensions. Not sure if the older guys will hold up for many extended runs too.

I don’t think we will see a team 3 peat again. And I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see back to back champs either much anymore.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

it's all media driven...

the thing about Curry is that he changed the game, and I guess, is more loved the world over.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Actually feel differently. I think this may be it. Klay and Dray really looked like they’re declining and there is going to be the disease of me with so many guys up for extensions. Not sure if the older guys will hold up for many extended runs too.

I don’t think we will see a team 3 peat again. And I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see back to back champs either much anymore.

Yep.

There was a stretch of 19 years where there were no back to back champions until the Showtime Lakers pulled it off. It's a whole lotta luck. You're gonna need an omega level talent surrounded by another superstar or 2 more all-stars that are all coming into the league around the same time (Kobe/Bron/Curry/Magic/MJ_.

I think the biggest hurdle is the max contract. I've always felt that there were only a select handful of guys that were truly franchise changing players worthy of the supermax in the league at a given time. Problem is 2nd, 3rd best players on contenders are going to get a max from someone or another.

Warriors were a confluence of events that I can't see happening again. Curry being underpaid for the early parts of their dynasty due to injury issues prior. 2016's massive salary cap increase allowing for KD to join them. What's been really understated though is that both Klay Thompson and Draymond Green "just" missed the 2016 salary cap increase and signing for what would be a pedestrian $70m/4years $82m/5years respectively the year prior.

Credit to them for seizing the opportunities as they unfolded but I'll be damned if a multitude of scenarios didn't break perfectly for them.

It'll be real interesting for them going forward. This upcoming season, they have to decide whether or not to keep GP2 and Looney, both guys who came up big in their run. I can see them running it back with those two in the fold. After that? All bets are off. Wiggins is gonna get the bag.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

it's all media driven...

the thing about Curry is that he changed the game, and I guess, is more loved the world over.

Curry didn't change the game. The 3-point emphasis is a result of analytics, and it would have happened whether or not Curry had played in the NBA. That said, Curry is probably the face of the modern trend toward 3-point shooting.

Curry is without question a very popular player. Lebron is popular too, but he's more divisive.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1812, 1813, 1814 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1813 of 2079
Jump to: