******** 2022 NBA Playoffs Thread ********
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 296, 297, 298, 299  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
West and Goodrich shot from three point range all the time.

West would average over 30 points in the playoffs against the Bill Russell Celtics who were considered one of the best defensive teams of all time.

He averaged over 46 points in a series against the Bullets... With no three point shot.

So if West averages the same shooting percentage as Steph without the three point line... then it's pretty safe to assume that had there been a three point line his total shooting percentage would be pretty close.

You can say the players he played against weren't as good... but then there were way less teams so the talent was more concentrated... he still had to play against the Big O, Frazier, Lenny Wilkens, Sam Jones, Jerry Sloan, Dave Bing, Earl the Pearl... a lot of Hall of Famers

Totally agree.

That’s the issue. Folks think the current players are so much better than the old players.
Simply not true at all.

IMO it is unrealistic to even try to argue the different eras. Different game and different rules were played every generation.

In a very broad sense, I think the athletes today may be better overall athletes. But great players adapt. Both talented older players taking advantage of rules today and talented players from today being able to adjust to the game 20, 30, 40 yrs ago.

I actually think todays athletes would have a tough time adjusting to the dribbling and ball handling rules. They have grown up carrying over and using hesitation dribbles since grade school.

The other element that gets downplayed is the overall physicality. The athletes today would need to adjust to a defender controlling them with a hand on their hip. Or the level of contact allowed or was simply considered a “ hard foul” when attacking the basket. Some of the touch fouls called today were just “play on “ in previous decades.

Lastly, some of the flops, antics and complaining that goes on today is would be considered ridiculous.

Just the culture of todays games and athletically talented players.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Adding to what Four Decade Bandwagon said above, while today's players are certainly better athletes, if players from previous eras were alive in this era, they also would be better athletes. They'd have the same benefits that modern players have in terms of diet, science, and sports medicine.

Not to mention access to information at an early age through the internet which could help them improve their game. Not everyone has the benefit of quality coaching at a young age. But pretty much everyone has access to the internet these days.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Steph better than KD? who'd you rather have
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Steph. Better leader. So much drama with KD too.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Steph had more success, but I wouldn't put him above KD in the all-time rankings. To me, KD has the case for being the greatest scorer ever. There's nothing he can't do on the basketball court. He had no weaknesses on the offensive end, and only slowed down after the achilles injury, which should have tanked his scoring honestly. The guy is always a few percentage points away from 50/40/90 seasons.

I don't care if KD jumped ship to join a 72 win team. They still wouldn't have beaten the Lebron-Irving-Love Cavs without him, nor would they have advanced over the CP3-Harden rockets. He was the main driving force behind the 2 championships. That is indisputable.

The Warriors were successful because added more depth this year. Wiggins played like the #1 pick, and Poole was Curry-lite. They were also 5-1 when Curry wasn't the leading scorer. I acknowledge that Curry is an all-time great, but he had plenty of help.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:

Steph. Better leader. So much drama with KD too.

I must concur, if the question is which guy I'd rather have. While I think KD's best is better than Steph's best, just because KD can affect the game in more ways, I think you're right about the guy you'd rather have on your team.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

KD

People tend to forget without KD and Klay, GSW is a lottery team.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
governator wrote:

KD

People tend to forget without KD and Klay, GSW is a lottery team.

Why does that support KD’s case?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Good Evening LG,

Just a daily reminder,

F#@* BOSTON!!!

HBO’s Winning Time = Emmy Time

ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
GTL wrote:
I'm just so damn relieved the Celtics didn't win, obviously.

And at least it was one of the less annoying California teams. Better then the Queens and Anaheim Clippers.

This. The Warriors are deserving.

Wouldn't surprised me that next season will be the Clippers year. They could win it all now that Snake and Pandemic P are returning.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
GTL wrote:

And at least it was one of the less annoying California teams. Better then the Queens and Anaheim Clippers.

Wouldn't surprised me that next season will be the Clippers year. They could win it all now that Snake and Pandemic P are returning.

PG13 got COVID for the 2nd play in game. Like if you need any more proof that the Clips are just cursed.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
GTL wrote:

PG13 got COVID for the 2nd play in game. Like if you need any more proof that the Clips are just cursed.

Cursed or was he at the strip club the night before?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject:

So, Minnesotta's #1 picks got chips now, KG, K.Love and now Wiggins. KAT is next but gotta get out lol

Btw, I think Steph > KD by a hair at this point, KD need a deep playoff run, ditto with AD
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject:

Has steph ever been unequivocally the best player in the league? I say no, which imho, means he will never be top 5
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So, Minnesotta's #1 picks got chips now, KG, K.Love and now Wiggins. KAT is next but gotta get out lol

Btw, I think Steph > KD by a hair at this point, KD need a deep playoff run, ditto with AD

I disagree with steph > kd. All year it was reversed. Being prisoners of the moment is normal in sports. Steph is dope, and greatest shooter and can probably be argued in top 10 all time but I think that may be a stretch when talking entire make up of guys.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:

I disagree with steph > kd. All year it was reversed. Being prisoners of the moment is normal in sports. Steph is dope, and greatest shooter and can probably be argued in top 10 all time but I think that may be a stretch when talking entire make up of guys.

prisoner of the moment? you say you can argue Steph is top 10 all time, can you argue KD is?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

ssiknick833 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Are the Warriors a dynasty? 2015, 2017, 2018, 2022

Is this a trick question? How are they not?

Bill Simmons https://streamable.com/za8a4p
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
ssiknick833 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Are the Warriors a dynasty? 2015, 2017, 2018, 2022

Is this a trick question? How are they not?

Bill Simmons https://streamable.com/za8a4p

Of course they are. They were already a dynasty when they won 3.

Simmons is a biased, bitter idiot. You realize he also doesn't consider the Shaq/Kobe Lakers a Dynasty? So you agree with that as well?

According to Simmons dumbass criteria only the Russell Celtics, Jordan Bulls, Showtime Lakers and Mikan Lakers are dynasties.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

Warriors' run has been amazing thus far: 5 straight finals, 4 titles, 6 finals in 8 years. It compares well to the Showtime Lakers, but still a title short. Well-managed in a complex salary cap era.

Curry: top 10 for sure. He has completely changed the way the game is played, something I mentioned in the general NBA forum years ago before it became more widely accepted. Teams face guard him at half court. I think we are conditioned to think of the "perfect player" as someone with Jordan's build, or someone who is much taller. Another title would just seal the KD talk, though it should be already. The team was able to win with Barnes, KD, and now Wiggins at that spot, so that spot can be argued as interchangeable cog outside of the main core.

Boston Loston. I don't care about that area's other sports teams, as long as the leprachaun suffers.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

Warriors' run has been amazing thus far: 5 straight finals, 4 titles, 6 finals in 8 years. It compares well to the Showtime Lakers, but still a title short. Well-managed in a complex salary cap era.

Curry: top 10 for sure. He has completely changed the way the game is played, something I mentioned in the general NBA forum years ago before it became more widely accepted. Teams face guard him at half court. I think we are conditioned to think of the "perfect player" as someone with Jordan's build, or someone who is much taller. Another title would just seal the KD talk, though it should be already. The team was able to win with Barnes, KD, and now Wiggins at that spot, so that spot can be argued as interchangeable cog outside of the main core.

Boston Loston. I don't care about that area's other sports teams, as long as the leprachaun suffers.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject:

removing double.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Has steph ever been unequivocally the best player in the league? I say no, which imho, means he will never be top 5

The thing with Steph is that he's a great scorer, but average with other parts of the game (rebounding, assist, defense, so forth).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 296, 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 297 of 299
Jump to: