2022 Lakers Draft News (Lakers pick #35 Max Christie; Undrafted Signings: Shareef O'Neal, Pippen Jr.-2-way, Swider-2-way)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Thank you everyone that contributed to this thread this year, especially @Mike for doing the legwork with analysis. It was fun. See you all next year!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject:

Ha, I said the Lakers love names so take Pippen Jr and O'Neal with the UDFA. Exactly what happened.

Know nothing about Christie, just hope he isn't related to Doug.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject:

The Kings really traded Haliburton for Sabonis and then passed on Ivey for Murray due to "fit issues" with Fox and Mitchell. Poverty franchise.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject:

From everything I am reading, it appears the Lakers did really well here with these picks.

Agree?
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Kings really traded Haliburton for Sabonis and then passed on Ivey for Murray due to "fit issues" with Fox and Mitchell. Poverty franchise.

Yup.. there’s something to be said about those that choose fit over BPA

I am just glad that we don’t have the same scouting department from the early 2000’s anymore.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

I am just glad that we don’t have the same scouting department from the early 2000’s anymore.

Part of it is that Ivey didn't even want to work out for them right? Geez, first Luka and now Ivey. That's what you get for food poisoning Kobe.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
From everything I am reading, it appears the Lakers did really well here with these picks.

Agree?

Still not convinced that Christie was the best pick. I get wanting to have long-term upside, but I think Keon Ellis would have given us long-term talent, and that Lidell or Walker would have given us needed length and athleticism on D that I'm not sure Gabriel can provide for a full season. Oh well - going to trust our scouting dept. until proven wrong.

I have no problem with Swider as one of our 2-ways (for now), as he can be a solid stretch 4 assuming his final year numbers aren't a fluke. I think Juels Bernard out of UCLA would have been a better UDFA get over Pippen, as he's a solid defender and is both a crafty finishe and a capable (if streaky) long-range shooter, and makes good decisions with the ball.

And for a team that is sorely lacking in athletic height, I don't know why we passed on a guy like Orlando Robinson out of Fresno State. Decent shooting range and good rebounding in a 6-9 3/4 (w/o shoes) frame with a 7-4 WS. Good hustle even if not a freakish athlete. I'd much rather have picked him for SL than O'Neal.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Agree?

I don't know. There is always a certain level of excitement and optimism when you get new players. That's fine. None of these guys jump out at me as anything special. We're just trusting that the scouting department sees something in these guys. Everyone wants these guys to be the next Austin Reaves. We'll see.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

I’m bummed that Keon Ellis wasn’t one of our UDFA signees. I think he would have helped our team more than Pippen Jr.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Part of it is that Ivey didn't even want to work out for them right? Geez, first Luka and now Ivey. That's what you get for food poisoning Kobe.

No tears from me at all.

They could give this team the 1st overall pick for the next 5 years. The owner and whoever he chooses to be his puppet GM will find a way to screw it.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject:

Well idk what these guys will be as an NBA players but I would rather have these rookies trying to prove their value than 36 years old Ariza on minimum deal barely walking into the gym.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Agree?

I'm no draft guru for sure... Thank god for Mike G!

And Christie and Swider seem solid choices... but...

WE NEED WINGS!

Yong wings, old wings... any wings. Still can't believe that we built our roster with only Ariza slotted for what has become THE MOST POSITION IN THE GAME.

I really hope we have a RW trade lined up that will return wings. Any wings. Like that Hornets deal. Maybe Haywood, Oubre or PJ Washington returning.

But to keep not looking toward adding wings to this roster is insanity to me. We need 6-6 to 6-9 versatile, switchy defenders. We passed on some prospects that fit that mold. We shall see what happens.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject:

Christie doesn't look like one of those "6'4" (but really 6'2-6'3) shooting guards. Looks every part 6'6", long and lanky. I think he's the type of player to put around AD/LBJ. Smart, cerebral, and I think his shooting will be very good. He apparently is a good defender, but he looks so thin and his strength (or lack of) will be heavily tested. Not sure if he will be a mainstay on the rotation, but a nice developmental player to have for sure.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Christie doesn't look like one of those "6'4" (but really 6'2-6'3) shooting guards. Looks every part 6'6", long and lanky. I think he's the type of player to put around AD/LBJ. Smart, cerebral, and I think his shooting will be very good. He apparently is a good defender, but he looks so thin and his strength (or lack of) will be heavily tested. Not sure if he will be a mainstay on the rotation, but a nice developmental player to have for sure.

He's 19 .... a year with good strength and conditioning and just getting older, he will be fine.

Look at Steph when he first came into the league and now lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He's 19 .... a year with good strength and conditioning and just getting older, he will be fine.

You don't have to convince me. I'm starting to feel really good about this pick. I think he will be the type of player who makes big leaps just b/c of age and strength. Like year 1 to 2 jump I think can be huge, and so forth. I don't know if he has a huge ceiling, but if you can get KCP/Green from a 35th pick, that's a great choice.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You don't have to convince me. I'm starting to feel really good about this pick. I think he will be the type of player who makes big leaps just b/c of age and strength. Like year 1 to 2 jump I think can be huge, and so forth. I don't know if he has a huge ceiling, but if you can get KCP/Green from a 35th pick, that's a great choice.

He's gotta a beautiful shot. Size wise and range, I comp him with Gary Trent Jr. who was a 2nd rd pick in the 40s
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Any indications that a center prospect will be added?

Lakers need some legit center depth. Getting a project would be a nice start.

They should take a look at Kofi Cockburn, Orlando Robinson, Trevion Williams and Kai Sotto.

Hard to believe those 3 didn't get drafted. I'm a big Travion guy, when I watched him play I thought he was a shoo in for 1st round honestly. Would love to see us sign Williams, Sotto, or Cockburn!
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

That kind of thinking leads you to passing up on Jordan because you already have Drexler, Sam Bowie would be a "better fit".
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

Summer league is going to be lit this year y'all. We have shooting and toughness on that team, which goes a long way in summer league. They start winning some games and a couple guys going to be trending on twitter before they know it with endorsement opportunities. The beauty of the Laker brand.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

That kind of thinking leads you to passing up on Jordan because you already have Drexler, Sam Bowie would be a "better fit".

They already did that by picking Marvin Bagley over Luka Doncic.

Kings is a lost cause franchise. They should have been moved to Seattle when they had the chance.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
Summer league is going to be lit this year y'all. We have shooting and toughness on that team, which goes a long way in summer league. They start winning some games and a couple guys going to be trending on twitter before they know it with endorsement opportunities. The beauty of the Laker brand.

Problem is we like size with zero centers thus far.
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
DD20045 wrote:

Problem is we like size with zero centers thus far.

Normally not an issue in summer league because it is so fast paced. I imagine a south bay dude will play center for us or the guy from Houston.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject:

Lakers only had a 2nd round draft pick but they still did better in the draft than the Knicks...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

As is true for most if not all wings, it all comes down to whether he can shoot 38% or better in the league. His college numbers are a concern, but you won't get guys in the second round who don't have question marks. If our scouts think he can make it, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. He's likely to be a project, though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As is true for most if not all wings, it all comes down to whether he can shoot 38% or better in the league. His college numbers are a concern, but you won't get guys in the second round who don't have question marks. If our scouts think he can make it, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. He's likely to be a project, though.

Yeah. I'm hoping for a Danny Green/KCP combo archetype. But it'll come down to his strength (which I think will improve as he is so young) and shooting. His form looks spectacular. Watch some film on him, it's a great looking jumper.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 26 of 30
Jump to: