Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
He's not going to last two seasons of Westbrook isn't traded. Money's worth it, but he's been set up to fail.

Particularly if they bring back Monk and double down on the “The defense will be good because Frank” strategy with the slight twist of “the defense will be good because Darvin.”

The point of a scapegoat is to cover your ass. Pelinka (and Jeanie) can't be stupid enough to actually believe the difference between an 11th seeded roster and a championship was just switching from Frank to Darvin. You use the scapegoat to try and fool stupid fans; you don't actually believe it yourself!

Considering how much defensive talent they have dumped, the acquisition of Westbrook, the signings last year, and Pelinka’s quotes, it is entirely reasonable to surmise that they think a great defense can be achieved by simply having a coach emphatically ask for it.

The easiest place for them to point to is that the team needs young players in order to play defense. I think they'll overcompensate for signing too many veterans last year by targeting players who are 30 and under. I don't see any of our vets returning unless maybe Melo. Even then he's an iffy scenario.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject:

the bar is low, and fortunately for him its not championship or bust, but I expect good things from him.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject:

I like Ham but he already made a crucial mistake in putting so much faith into Westbrook. When Westbrook fails this season (Not if), Ham will look bad and discredited. Westbrook is not going to learn how to play defense at 33 and will continue to absolutely kill us on offense. Anyone with a brain can see this. I thought for a moment that the Lakers were truly putting together a genius media ploy to gain some leverage in trade scenarios. But it seems the keeping westbrook and the interviewing coaches with him in mind was truly a thing. I just can't believe they don't have anyone competent at the top that can see this disaster.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
I like Ham but he already made a crucial mistake in putting so much faith into Westbrook. When Westbrook fails this season (Not if), Ham will look bad and discredited. Westbrook is not going to learn how to play defense at 33 and will continue to absolutely kill us on offense. Anyone with a brain can see this. I thought for a moment that the Lakers were truly putting together a genius media ploy to gain some leverage in trade scenarios. But it seems the keeping Westbrook and the interviewing coaches with him in mind was truly a thing. I just can't believe they don't have anyone competent at the top that can see this disaster.

I do not think they want to keep him, but they have too since WB had a player option, Lakers did not have a team option.

With that being said, Russ used to be a pretty good defender and just 2 seasons ago in Washington he averaged a Triple Double, so talent and capabilities are still there.

Hopefully they do not rely much on him as a shooter, and the offense we run allows him to not have ISO situations.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
I like Ham but he already made a crucial mistake in putting so much faith into Westbrook. When Westbrook fails this season (Not if), Ham will look bad and discredited. Westbrook is not going to learn how to play defense at 33 and will continue to absolutely kill us on offense. Anyone with a brain can see this. I thought for a moment that the Lakers were truly putting together a genius media ploy to gain some leverage in trade scenarios. But it seems the keeping westbrook and the interviewing coaches with him in mind was truly a thing. I just can't believe they don't have anyone competent at the top that can see this disaster.

I disagree. Ham is doing what he is supposed to be doing in fielding questions thrown at him from the media regarding Westbrook.
I mean, what do you expect him to say?
Ham does not look bad and discredited regarding Westbrook. This is the card he has been dealt. I have no doubt that he can get more out of him though.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
textbook wrote:

I disagree. Ham is doing what he is supposed to be doing in fielding questions thrown at him from the media regarding Westbrook.
Ham does not look bad and discredited regarding Westbrook. This is the card he has been dealt. I have no doubt that he can get more out of him though.

You can field questions about Westbrook and give answers like he did with Lebron/AD. But he made an emphasis to mention he is still has a lot left, doesn't know why people discredit him, and is going to be our defensive stopper. He should have just kept it light. He does not look bad or discredited YET. I stated he WILL look bad later when Westbrook plays horrible defense and hits the side of the backboard twice a game. I have serious doubt he can get more out of him. He is what he is, a guy who with the ball in his hands 90% of the time can avg a triple double for losing teams.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
textbook wrote:

You can field questions about Westbrook and give answers like he did with Lebron/AD. But he made an emphasis to mention he is still has a lot left, doesn't know why people discredit him, and is going to be our defensive stopper. He should have just kept it light. He does not look bad or discredited YET. I stated he WILL look bad later when Westbrook plays horrible defense and hits the side of the backboard twice a game. I have serious doubt he can get more out of him. He is what he is, a guy who with the ball in his hands 90% of the time can avg a triple double for losing teams.

My fear is that Westbrook will play like a lame duck. This is his last big payday, and he knows it. He knows the Lakers don't want him, he knows the fans don't like him, and he knows he won't get paid anymore after this season. So, as soon as the Lakers start losing games, and Westbrook starts f'ng up, and Mr. Ham is forced to call him on it, Westbrook may go full scorched earth on the Lakers, on the court, off the court, and in the locker room. RW has nothing to lose. This upcoming Laker season may be one of the most dramatic in recent memory...
lakermann44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Has the Staff be filled out

Just curious is ham staff filled out yet ?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Nice interview Trudell did with Coach Ham:

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/getting-to-know-darvin-ham-part-two-06292022
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I actually feel that Ham's pressure as a head coach isn't high for this coming season if Russ stays. No ones expects the team to contend, and if we squeeze nto the playoffs it's already an improvement.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject:

What worries me a bit for Ham (though he has a 4 year deal), is that Vogel is a top defensive coach, and I'm sure tried to get Russ to play defense on that end. Not sure why having Ham will magically transform Russ. It's putting a lot of pressure on Ham to fix the Russ situation b/c our front office is unable/unwilling to.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What worries me a bit for Ham (though he has a 4 year deal), is that Vogel is a top defensive coach, and I'm sure tried to get Russ to play defense on that end. Not sure why having Ham will magically transform Russ. It's putting a lot of pressure on Ham to fix the Russ situation b/c our front office is unable/unwilling to.

Sure, but with a lack of FO support for your job, I can see Vogel having resigned himself to dealing with Russ. Whereas Ham will, theoretically, outlast Russ on this roster -- so if it doesn't work early, he may actually be able to use the "stick" so to speak of just shelving him. So if Russ does want to play, he's gotta actually show up and put in the work to be a leader - which means sacrifice.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject:

BUMP
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Vogel doesn’t adjust to his players his players adjust to his defense. Do you think Frank had the real conversation with Russ about his flaws? Ham has done that multiple times already and we ain’t even close to training camp. Also Darvin is a former player Frank is not. Some players just don’t respect those who haven’t done it. Apples Oranges
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vogel doesn’t adjust to his players his players adjust to his defense. Do you think Frank had the real conversation with Russ about his flaws? Ham has done that multiple times already and we ain’t even close to training camp. Also Darvin is a former player Frank is not. Some players just don’t respect those who haven’t done it. Apples Oranges

Wait. So you're saying that Russ only listens to former players who are head coaches? Say what you want, but Vogel is a champion coach.

I was 1000% for Ham's hire, but we have no idea how he will do as a 1st year headcoach. To think he is a magic panacea to make Russ shoot 3s well and all of a sudden be a lockdown defender is asking a lot for a rookie player.

The bolded is not a flattering thing to say about Russ.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wait. So you're saying that Russ only listens to former players who are head coaches? Say what you want, but Vogel is a champion coach.

I was 1000% for Ham's hire, but we have no idea how he will do as a 1st year headcoach. To think he is a magic panacea to make Russ shoot 3s well and all of a sudden be a lockdown defender is asking a lot for a rookie player.

Bruh you have a problem with what I said but the Rumor was LEBRON wanted a coach who played in the NBA so if you have a problem with Russ for that then you should also have a problem with Lebron. Again you’re making things up no one expects Russ to be Dru level of defense. Russ playing any defense is a plus
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Bruh you have a problem with what I said but the Rumor was LEBRON wanted a coach who played in the NBA so if you have a problem with Russ for that then you should also have a problem with Lebron. Again you’re making things up no one expects Russ to be Dru level of defense. Russ playing any defense is a plus

Hey 3 of his 4 Championships came under coaches who didn’t play in the NBA. Gotcha.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hey 3 of his 4 Championships came under coaches who didn’t play in the NBA. Gotcha.

How many times have they been to the chip since? Gotcha! spoelstra is an excellent coach btw
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How many times have they been to the chip since? Gotcha! spoelstra is an excellent coach btw

What are you talking about. When a guy has won 75% of his championships with non ex NBA player coaches, what is your evidence that he said he wanted a coach who played in the NBA? Seems like it worked out just fine for him.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

not to jump in here, but bron did try to pull rank on Spoelstra , and soon found out pat runs the show, if you believe Jorge sedano.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What are you talking about. When a guy has won 75% of his championships with non ex NBA player coaches, what is your evidence that he said he wanted a coach who played in the NBA? Seems like it worked out just fine for him.

Go look at the reports before the Lakers hired Ham. I guess you was living under a rock at the time. Remember he tried to get spo fired? Guess who he wanted to replace him? A former basketball player
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

not to jump in here, but bron did try to pull rank on Spoelstra , and soon found out pat runs the show, if you believe Jorge sedano.
. I believe it.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/darvin-ham-russell-westbrook-starter-145316167.html

Mr. Ham is f'king up already.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/darvin-ham-russell-westbrook-starter-145316167.html

Mr. Ham is f'king up already.

He's doing sort of the right thing in trying to "prop" up Russ's value to the team (though in reality, his value is non-existent as teams are not willing to eat his 47m and diminished game). Ham is playing a good soldier for the team to not destroy any negotiation position, and if there's a chance Russ has to return, HE (as opposed to Rob/Jeanie who have tried to trade him since 2021) can say that he personally doesn't have an issue with Russ.

Now, in practice, I'm concerned that Ham isn't putting the starting PG spot up for competition. You can scheme all you want but under no circumstances are teams going to defend Russ at the 3. LBJ/AD's spacing will again be compromised by Russ's defender. Having TB potentially at center helps, but why not go all the way and insert another guard (Nunn) who can also shoot, so the only 3 point compromised player is just AD, not AD + Russ.

Ham is saying the right thing for negotiation purposes.

My fear is that Russ believes he is now entitled to start, and if in training camp/regular season it proves otherwise, that will be quite the feat for Ham as a rookie coach. Make no mistake, the team will be trying to trade Russ from today until the trade deadline in 2023.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

<snip>

My fear is that Russ believes he is now entitled to start, and if in training camp/regular season it proves otherwise, that will be quite the feat for Ham as a rookie coach. Make no mistake, the team will be trying to trade Russ from today until the trade deadline in 2023.

As you have yourself noted as long as Westbrook is on the team Ham has to plan for it, in multiple ways, not just to prop up for his trade value but also to gain Westbrook's willing cooperation on his plans.
Here is where we begin to diverge and I start to side with other posters: telling Westbrook the starting spot is not his could close the door on his willing cooperation PLUS create a difficult situation for the FO by immediately putting to lie their "Westbrook was ill-used" narrative. Creating that rift ahead of a Westbrook trade is completely unnecessary, a *pragmatic* head coach is likely think as follows.
If Westbrook is traded, nothing is lost, his Plan B (which he has not divulged) comes into action.
But if Westbrook remains and starts IF after 25-30 games a $45 million tax-paying team with Lebron AND AD is lagging in the playoff standings, it would be a clear FO failure, Ham will find ownership/Klutch screaming in unison to shake things up - and he can be the savior, turn the spotlight on Westbrook/FO. If Westbrook pouts, it just goes in Ham's favor - "hey I tried" If however, by some miracle, the team has a decent record (no matter how Westbrook actually plays), Ham gets all the credit, he becomes the golden boy. He wins every which way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 56 of 277
Jump to: