Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
They're not bringing him off the bench, Ham has been clear he is going to ask RW to be a defensive presence and also get the ball in a certain way in fastbreak situations that he didn't last year. I think the message will be - you play defense, you get the ball. You don't play D, you don't get PT/ball. I don't see them demoting him to off the bench, not right away at least.

When he doesn't play D and you take away PT, does his replacement get the start when he is playing more minutes than RW?

assuming his replacement plays d. But lets not act like we have defenders outside of AD.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
They're not bringing him off the bench, Ham has been clear he is going to ask RW to be a defensive presence and also get the ball in a certain way in fastbreak situations that he didn't last year. I think the message will be - you play defense, you get the ball. You don't play D, you don't get PT/ball. I don't see them demoting him to off the bench, not right away at least.

There is no future for Russ on the lakers. They will only waste time pandering to him. The sooner they realize that the better he and the team will be. I’m hoping Nunn or any other player gets a fair chance at the starting job.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook hasn’t played committed defense for years, I love Darvin Ham’s confidence but at least be realistic, this isn’t a video game, your a coach trying to sell on the idea that Westbrook can basically turn back the clock next year... no one is gonna fall for that BS.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Their is no question that Westbrook is still a very good offensive player but as far as being this athletic freak on offense and defense? Those days are long gone, when we got him last year we just didn’t expect the experiment to be a total **** show.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Westbrook hasn’t played committed defense for years, I love Darvin Ham’s confidence but at least be realistic, this isn’t a video game, your a coach trying to sell on the idea that Westbrook can basically turn back the clock next year... no one is gonna fall for that BS.

Yeah, I will say that was one of the only things I was kind of hoping would happen after the trade since he would go from the 1a-b option all the way to the clear 3rd option and have much less offensive responsibilities but that door was slammed in my face and is almost comical I actually thought he'd sacrifice a bit for the team .

I now have zero confidence that's at all realistic after seeing him all last Season but maybe that will be Ham's reasoning for benching him and if that happens quick then i'm cool with the lip service that the whole world doesn't believe anyways.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Ham trying to make him revisit what made him a great player...

If he can get him to fix his defense and it is serviceable then let him handle the ball a little more
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Noooo I don't want to see 10+ TOs and him saying after the game, "I can turn the ball over as much as I want." That (bleep) still doesn't sit well with me...

Westbrick should never be primary ball handler.
monster_montego
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I wish Pelinka would just pull the trigger on the Charlotte deal- forget 2023.

WB, THT for Rozier, Oubre and Hwyward
Bamba for the TPMLE

Rozier, Nunn, (Pippen)
Hayward, Reaves, Max
LBJ, Oubre, Stanley (Swider)
AD, Thaddeus Young, Wenyen
Bamba, Dwight
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Can you imagine Westbrook actually paying attention to his man on defense? It's gonna be so good.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Ham trying to make him revisit what made him a great player...

If he can get him to fix his defense and it is serviceable then let him handle the ball a little more

Why does a first year head coach have to compel a professional NBA player making $47 million dollars for 1 season to do anything that is a part of basic basketball? This is why I set back and shake my head at all these Ham's gonna get Westbrook to do this and that bullshat. If Westbrook didn't do it last season, then why would he all of a sudden start this season?
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject:

monster_montego wrote:
I wish Pelinka would just pull the trigger on the Charlotte deal- forget 2023.

WB, THT for Rozier, Oubre and Hwyward
Bamba for the TPMLE

Rozier, Nunn, (Pippen)
Hayward, Reaves, Max
LBJ, Oubre, Stanley (Swider)
AD, Thaddeus Young, Wenyen
Bamba, Dwight

Thaddeus Young just sneaks onto the roster like a ninja.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Lets hope for the best regarding this guy. I actually think in a way, if his stats fall to 11-13 PPG, thats a good thing cause that could mean he is focused on doing the little things to help the team win and less Russ shots means more shots for everyone else......or it could mean he started losing playing time because nothing has changed......lets hope for the former.
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Thing is that he's installing a culture that he wants to be prevalent throughout the squad, those that dont adhere to the culture will weed themselves out. They will be traded come the deadline and russell has perfect contract for that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Thing is that he's installing a culture that he wants to be prevalent throughout the squad, those that dont adhere to the culture will weed themselves out. They will be traded come the deadline and russell has perfect contract for that.

Asking Westbrook to be a better player then he showed last year is a much better expectation, telling him to play defense consistently isn’t being realistic, he isn’t gonna play good defense consistently he will only do it in spurts from time to time, Westbrook needs to cut down on his turnovers and not take stupid shots within the offense.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook wasn't even as good as Reaves last year...
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Robblake wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Asking Westbrook to be a better player then he showed last year is a much better expectation, telling him to play defense consistently isn’t being realistic, he isn’t gonna play good defense consistently he will only do it in spurts from time to time, Westbrook needs to cut down on his turnovers and not take stupid shots within the offense.

He's a distant third option now (and even that wasn't true much of the games Performance wise) and horribly inefficient at that so if he can't even put the effort on the defensive end then good bye starting job and watch the minutes continue to dwindle to DNP's/trade after that. This isn't last Season when he actually had a little leverage, he's a massive expiring contract so if he acts up or doesn't want to listen at all to the new Coach we John Wall him and accept that we made a monumentally bad trade and just let him come off the books.

Most of his turnovers and awful shots are just simply super low iq plays which I find much harder to improve on this late in his career then just putting a little more effort on the defensive end. I agree with you that it very likely wont happen but i'm hoping at least they bench/trade/John Wall whatever him versus letting his toxicity affect the team any longer.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject:

From kamensky bros: total screen set by WB in 81games last season… 7, Vogel did f up, pick n roll to the basket woulda been better for Russ than spot up 3s
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Lets hope for the best regarding this guy. I actually think in a way, if his stats fall to 11-13 PPG, thats a good thing cause that could mean he is focused on doing the little things to help the team win and less Russ shots means more shots for everyone else......or it could mean he started losing playing time because nothing has changed......lets hope for the former.

He lives by his stats. The lens from which he views the game comes from his stats. He would go crazy if his numbers fell that low, even if the TEAM was doing better.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject:

I doubt Ham is better MDA or Vogel. It's just the Lakers are posturing hoping someone would value Brick but they ain't fooling anyone. Just cut ties with Brick before the season starts. Waive him if he can't be traded. I honestly don't want to see more Brick experiments from Ham.

At this point, any knowledgeable basketball person know that Brick is a bust and cannot be salvaged. If it was that easy to just teach someone defense then why don't we get a better 3-pt shooter like Hield and teach him defense then? Everyone is the league would be a great defender if it was possible to just teach Brick defense just like that.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject:

Go away bro
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

He lives by his stats. The lens from which he views the game comes from his stats. He would go crazy if his numbers fell that low, even if the TEAM was doing better.

Remember that quote he had last year.. Something like "Everyone expects me to be a superstar and put up 20/20/15 every game but that's just not possible".. Like no Russ, no one expects you or even wants you to put up those kind of numbers. What we do expect is for you to just try on defense, get out in transition, and move/cut when you don't have the ball. Just do those 3 things and everyone's opinion will change dramatically.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject:

LeSigh
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

Is Nunn good enough to allow Ham to start him in place of Westbrook?

wish this (bleep) was some comedy movie script instead of our team
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

Apparently we have to coddle Russ for the fear that he will act out and be unhappy if he's beat out of the starting position.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Apparently we have to coddle Russ for the fear that he will act out and be unhappy if he's beat out of the starting position.

Westbrook is just one of many accomplished NBA prima donnas in this age range (Irving, Durant, Harding, Lebron, so forth) who want everything their way, as opposed to what is best for the team. This man is getting paid $47 million dollars for 1 season. He should be grateful and humble, and willing to do whatever it takes to help his team win. This is why I like the Golden State Warriors; that team seems to be focused on team building, chemistry, and working together to be as good as they can.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 336 of 426
Jump to: