LAKERS -vs- HEAT - 7-2-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- HEAT - 7-2-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Summer League!... This game was lopsided early on as the Lakers took control in the first quarter. By halftime, they had a 24-point lead as they held the Heat to 20 percent shooting. They’d cruise to the 100-66 win.

Reasonable first game of the Summer League. It’s usually a mess, but with a bunch of South Bay players in the mix, that wasn’t the case.

Of course, this is always the game where the interwebs jumps to ridiculous conclusions, so beware of the hot takes out there. It’s just one game.

(Note: Not sure if I’m able to cover the next one as my schedule is up in the air at the moment, but we’ll see.)

Christie -- -- His shooting was cold in the first half, starting out 0-6. Missing some good looks from three and some midrange pull-ups. The floater he took a couple of times also looked awful (I think he airballed one on a jumpstop). In the second half, he swished a corner three on an inside-out sequence. He also had a putback for his other score. One thing I like to look at for Summer League players is if you take away a hot shooting game or a cold shooting game, what else are they doing on the floor. For instance, when Kuz was lighting it up from the perimeter in Vegas, you wanted to know if that went away, what else was he bringing? (For Kuz it was those scores changing ends with speed, the little runner and hook he had…so there was a lot more there). For Christie you have to look at the other end of the floor in this one. Defensively, his perimeter challenges were excellent. One of the more translatable skills from anyone out there. He was getting through screens and closing out hand high to disrupt looks. That was certainly NBA-ready. The Heat struggled to score, but you’ve got to give some credit to guys like Christie who played strong on that end and weren’t giving away easy ones. So that length came to play on the perimeter as well as the boards. He led the team there with 9. If you aren’t knocking down shots, you’ve got to bring other things to the court. He navigated the screens and recovered well. What I’m maybe most curious about is whether he’s got the strength this year to not get overpowered on defense (pretty sure, he won’t by the time the season starts). The NBA has some strong guards and he doesn’t have the build for it. You’d see moments of that in college where a stronger guard would just overpower him. Reaves had issues last year with that, as well, but was great at stripping defenders when they tried to muscle him on drives. The Heat didn’t pose that challenge today. Christie’s handle looked shaky bringing it up court against pressure in the second half today. He got stripped at midcourt at one point and gave up a dunk. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-11 shooting (1-5 from three) to go with 9 boards (2 offensive), 3 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and no fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +10.

Pippen Jr. -- -- Up and down first game. Turnover- and foul-prone first half. Really ugly start for him, before he settled in more later. But even from the start he did show one of the talents he’s known for, getting to the freethrow line. He actively seeks out that contact when guys are off balance and turns that into points at the line. That’s a very translatable skill. He just has a nose for it (some step throughs after pumpfakes as well as putting a defender in jail once and drawing the foul from the backside). That helped get him to double digits offensively. He didn’t shoot well from there. You should probably take away 3 points from his total if you are judging off the box score since he banked in a three (so more like an 0-5 from three and 11-point game if you don’t count that brick). Hopefully, he shoots better in the next one. Playmaking wise, I thought he was mostly awful. I get that it’s the first game and there are going to be chemistry issues, but just some of those plays that you see out of the natural flow of the game, he struggled with. The lob passes were way off the mark, there was a baseline drive where he missed a man and forced the ball to a defended player for a turnover. He will certainly do better in set plays where he knows what’s coming, but the improv reads today were very, very clunky. The foul issues he had I’m not too worried about right now. You see a lot of guys get whistled for being handsy when they make that transition to these Summer League games. He did show some good ability to navigate screens, which you could almost hear Pippen Sr. working with him on when he was younger. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 3-9 shooting (1-5 from three, 7-8 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 5 turnovers and 4 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a +19.

Swider -- -- He’s going to be a money shooter. That’s what he’s known for. But the question will be can he stay in the game defensively. He wasn’t challenged much by a fairly inept Heat team today. There were some moments he got a little outmuscled (one for a jumpball and another on a defensive board he should have had). But, man, that shot looks like it’s going in every time he puts it up. I mentioned in another thread a day or two ago that I thought he was probably the best shooter among everyone on the (current) Laker NBA squad. He certainly looked the part today. Just effortless from three or in the midrange. If he’s wide open, you’re in trouble. But even if you get a real good challenge in, he can still be money. He showed one of those makes early on. We ran a couple set plays for him, but he mostly just found his way through the regular flow. If we had some real purposeful playmaking out there that would help him more, but he can find his shot off sidestepping defenders and a quick trigger. One of those guys that doesn’t need to touch the ball to be effective because of his gravity to space floors and super low usage. Again, should be all about the D for him. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-7 shooting (3-5 from three) to go with 6 boards, 1 block and 2 fouls in 19 minutes. He was a +12.

Huff -- -- The Lakers G-League big, who had a brief stint in the NBA with us early last season, got the start and dominated the first half from the tip off. He blocked a number of shots, but didn’t get credit for all of them apparently. Several shot alterations, as well, on challenges. Super, super disruptive. He swished a pick and pop three and also showed some strong finishes on the move, including a reverse jam in transition. He also had a putback jam when no one boxed him out. Just a great first half. In the second half, he blocked a layup from behind in transition and finished a lob dunk from Jones, as well. The Lakers really need a floor spacing big that has some defensive ability. It just changes everything. So he’s kind of in the back pocket if we don’t get one elsewhere. Excellent first outing. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-7 shooting (1-2 from three, 0-2 from the line) to go with 7 boards (2 offensive), 2 assists, 2 blocks and no fouls in 21 minutes. He was a +15.

Brown -- -- Vitto will be turning 27 before the Summer League is over. So he’s been around the G-League and a couple of overseas stints. Kind of guy you pull for to see a stint in the NBA. He showed some good skills and a nice touch. He up-faked, attacked and hit a baseline jumper early on. He showed the range, swishing an open corner three. He also hit a midrange turnaround after driving. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-5 shooting (1-1 from three) to go with 2 offensive boards, 1 assist, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a +8.

O’Neal -- -- Steady, active but relatively quiet day for the son of Shaq. He was feeling things out and letting the game come to him, which you don’t see a ton of from summer leaguers, who are usually trying to make a name for themselves. He’s got that part covered. Good length and he looked poised around the hoop. Out on the perimeter, he had a couple nice attacks off the three line, one to kick out to an open man for three and the other he drew FTs on. Pulling for him after what he’s been through. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-3 shooting (2-2 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 1 assist and 3 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a +15.

McClung -- -- Last summer, I felt like he’d need a full year of G-League. Now that he’s got that under his belt, he’s going to start catching more attention. Nice job finishing a couple of quarters with pull-ups from the midrange. His hops make that a tough shot to stop, and he looked solid on it. What I like is how relatively easy the game looked for him right now. Last year, this team, he was not comfortable at all. Now, he’s showing he can get places with the handle and knows when to pull up versus drive. Sloppy a couple times on passes and not a lot of playmaking, but you felt comfortable most of the time with the ball in his hands. Keep an eye out on how well (or poorly) he can floor general this team over the course of the eight games. Defensively, his athleticism helps on recoveries and getting in good challenges. But I also liked some of the help D plays where he was using his head. He just looked much more polished out there. Let’s see how he strings together some games here. The Stats: He scored 17 points on 5-9 shooting (0-1 from three, 7-8 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal and 3 turnovers in 16 minutes. He was a +17.

Bass -- -- That South Bay and NBA experience made for a smooth game. Paris knew what he could/couldn’t do and played to those strengths. He had 15 points, 6 boards and 3 blocks. Very mobile. A couple of nice crossovers and drives. I think he went right to left on both of them. He also pushed out a loose ball on a breakaway and finished through contact. He showed nice touch hitting a corner three after a fly by. Mixed in an And-1 post up off a spin move. That mobility also showed up on one shotblock in transition. Good all-around game. I did see a little lack of second effort under the hoop on one play he got beat, but not a lot to dislike about this one. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 5-11 shooting (1-3 from three, 4-5 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 1 assist, 3 blocks and 1 foul in 24 minutes. He was a +31.

Jones -- -- Mason seemed to always be in the mix when he was out there. He started off the game hitting the floor for a steal and passing it off from the ground to a teammate for a dunk. He knocked down an open three in the second half (and probably should have had FTs on a three at the buzzer on another). Defensively, he was called for an And-1 on a three, so he was annoyed about not getting that call on the other end. I was a little worried he and McClung might try to dominate the ball too much, but they did a good job keeping the offensive flow, so no issues there. In fact, he led the team with 6 assists. I’d be surprised, though, if he didn’t pop a big scoring game or two this summer where he’s not moving the ball this much. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 1-5 shooting (1-4 from three, 5-5 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +29.

Pierre-Louis -- -- Another of our South Bay guys. Very aggressive ball defender as he’s known for. I’m trying to think of why he reminds me of Lindsey Hunter. He’s got a lot of that on-ball effort and reaching with the wingspan like Lindsey. He turned that into a pick at midcourt that he took in for a foul on a throwdown attempt. I love watching guys who try to defend like he does. They’ve got to watch out for the fouls or getting beat off the dribble, but it does wear down the opponent and eat up shotclock. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 1-1 shooting (2-2 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 steal and 2 fouls in 12 minutes. He was a +14.

Handy -- -- Good job mixing up the minutes to give everyone a good chunk of playing time. First Summer League games are usually a mess. Having a fair amount of G-League guys made this one a little bit smoother than usual. He tried to set up the hot hand in Swider with a horns set out of a timeout, but the shot didn’t fall. This game was over early, but he kept the guys focused on trying to play good ball.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Fun game, Lakers played well, especially the South Bay guys (as expected).
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Nice to get a win at any level. Swider looks like an NBA caliber shooter.
Thanks, DB!
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. In post season form all ready.

Swider needs time in the weight room. He is going to get bullied this year. But what a hell of a shooter. Did not force a single shot IMO.

Christie just needs to settle down when shooting. Hope he does have Svi type issues. Great in practice but could not handle the pressure of the crowd.

Pippin needs to spend the whole season in South Bay. Scoring PG who needs to learn to distribute.

Sharif needs playing time and weight room time. Will get bullied in the post. Raw talent is there.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed the game. That's what happens when my team dominates. One of the things that help me assess a player or game is to watch it in silence. That way I'm not distracted w/commentary from the announcers. My take:

1. Lakers need to sign Huff. Now. He's got enough to contribute this year.

2. I like Bass. He's long, defensive-minded and plays within himself.

3. Pierre-Louis is a terror on defense. He is Lindsey Hunter-like. I don't know about his shot but I loved seeing him get up on opponents with tenacity & physicality.

4. Max Christie just needs time to build up his strength and awareness of the pro game. 9 boards in his first game? Nice

5. McClung can be a spark plug off the bench from time to time.

Appreciate you DB. Thanks
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject:

To me Swider seems like the player that could help us most this season. I could see him getting minutes with his size and shooting ability.

I think Christie will be fine, he’s just going to need some time. He’s got the look of a good player.

Huff has skills, but I see him as too slow to help us. Maybe if we had more open roster spots.

McClung does look a lot more polished, but he’s too short and we have plenty of guards.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject:

I've come down from my intoxicated state. I realize I was a bit over zealous, first game and all.

You're absolutely right about Swider. No wonder they offered him a two-way contract so quickly. I read somewhere they had not even seen him play. I guess all film and word of mouth. 6'9 sniper. Nice.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject:

‘The Son of Shaq’… I like this Nick name

So who would u like for the 2-way if u get to pick mod?
Swider for sure I think
Pippen Jr or Huff?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject:

Sweet, DB.

Thanks.

Swider and McClung look like the most likely to fit in with a AD/Bron/3rd star lineup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I've come down from my intoxicated state. I realize I was a bit over zealous, first game and all.

You're absolutely right about Swider. No wonder they offered him a two-way contract so quickly. I read somewhere they had not even seen him play. I guess all film and word of mouth. 6'9 sniper. Nice.

Lakers worked him out twice

Receipt: https://lakersnation.com/lakers-draft-workouts-syracuses-cole-swider-discusses-draft-hopes-after-second-workout-with-l-a/2022/06/22/
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

iam wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Lakers worked him out twice

Receipt: https://lakersnation.com/lakers-draft-workouts-syracuses-cole-swider-discusses-draft-hopes-after-second-workout-with-l-a/2022/06/22/

Good find. Both your link and the player we got. I stand corrected!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -vs- HEAT - 7-2-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Swider -- -- He’s going to be a money shooter. That’s what he’s known for. But the question will be can he stay in the game defensively. He wasn’t challenged much by a fairly inept Heat team today. There were some moments he got a little outmuscled (one for a jumpball and another on a defensive board he should have had). But, man, that shot looks like it’s going in every time he puts it up. I mentioned in another thread a day or two ago that I thought he was probably the best shooter among everyone on the (current) Laker NBA squad. He certainly looked the part today. Just effortless from three or in the midrange. If he’s wide open, you’re in trouble. But even if you get a real good challenge in, he can still be money. He showed one of those makes early on. We ran a couple set plays for him, but he mostly just found his way through the regular flow. If we had some real purposeful playmaking out there that would help him more, but he can find his shot off sidestepping defenders and a quick trigger. One of those guys that doesn’t need to touch the ball to be effective because of his gravity to space floors and super low usage. Again, should be all about the D for him. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-7 shooting (3-5 from three) to go with 6 boards, 1 block and 2 fouls in 19 minutes. He was a +12.
Possible Duncan Robinson-type player and more?????
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: