Curry says 2017 Warriors would beat 2001 Lakers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Curry says 2017 Warriors would beat 2001 Lakers

An interesting debate is happening on social media. Curry says 2017 Warriors would beat 2001 Lakers. He is taking a shot at one of our prized championships. We have Shaq responding. I wonder what Kobe would say. What do you think?

Curry:

Quote:
We feel like we can win. I don't know who would guard Shaq but I don't know who would guard me and Klay either. We rockin with that. And three is better than two.

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1549452339031019520

Shaq responds:

Quote:
Shaq to Steph on ‘17 Warriors vs. 01’ Lakers:

“If they don’t double me, I’m going for 60 without the free throws.”

https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1550189380349730816?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely no one is stopping Shaq on that team, and put Kobe on Curry and lets see what happens.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject:

If Fox could shut down Peja, he can handle Klay.

Whose guarding Shaq? Whose guarding Kobe? Is Klay really going to be so effective if he is guarding Kobe for 48 and dealing with Fox?

And Fisher is just good enough to get us a handful of stops against Curry while drawing an offensive foul (or two) on Draymond -- not to mention he's en fuego from 3.

You know Horry's going to get some buckets against Dray, and Ho Grant ain't no (bleep). In fact, I'd bet Draymond has never played a frontcourt with as much talent and moxie as Horace Grant, Horry, and Shaq. You think any of those guys are going to back down against that loud-mouth?

KD's gonna cook but I bet Kobe gives him just as much back.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I think people forget how good the team defense was on the Lakers. Fisher/Fox/Kobe were a very awesome perimeter trio defensively.

It would be comical to watch Dray try to guard Shaq. 3 fouls in the 1st quarter level comical.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

PJax > Kerr
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think people forget how good the team defense was on the Lakers. Fisher/Fox/Kobe were a very awesome perimeter trio defensively.

It would be comical to watch Dray try to guard Shaq. 3 fouls in the 1st quarter level comical.

Fisher also wouldn't be scared to throw his shoulder into Curry coming off a screen if he starts to celebrate his threes too much
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

We're hitting these topics and it's not the dog days yet. Need to save something for August.

2001 Shaq was insane. It's a different "unguardable" than a Curry/Klay. They'd have to use multiple defenders because they lack proper size. Even then, he'd go through that and he'd feast. His guys would have wide open looks and he'd still be cleaning up the offense glass on their misses. He'd sideline several guys with fouls. Draymond would have to guard someone else and they'd have to use bigs. Floor would tighten up for the Warriors. Also, you allow defenders to grab and hold more back in 2001, that's a disadvantage to perimeter players like Curry and Klay.

Kobe probably slides onto Curry defensively late in the games.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
We're hitting these topics and it's not the dog days yet. Need to save something for August.

2001 Shaq was insane. It's a different "unguardable" than a Curry/Klay. They'd have to use multiple defenders because they lack proper size. Even then, he'd go through that and he'd feast. His guys would have wide open looks and he'd still be cleaning up the offense glass on their misses. He'd sideline several guys with fouls. Draymond would have to guard someone else and they'd have to use bigs. Floor would tighten up for the Warriors. Also, you allow defenders to grab and hold more back in 2001, that's a disadvantage to perimeter players like Curry and Klay.

Kobe probably slides onto Curry defensively late in the games.

nuff said, Lakers in 4
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Absolutely no one is stopping Shaq on that team, and put Kobe on Curry and lets see what happens.

Kobe locks down Curry and no one shuts down Kobe or Shaq.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
PJax > Kerr

I think Kerr has surpassed him quite a bit on x and o stuff and learned a lot from him and pop on the management stuff, so I would t agree with that. But the shaq and Kobe combo would be just too much for them to handle imo.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Ahhhh

drunk Steph is just having a good ole time this Summer
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Play in the 2000s and let the Lakers funnel Steph into the paint and let Shaq flatten Steph out one time like he did Tony Parker. That would be fun.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Big mouth midget. He's won a couple of rings and now he thinks he's all that. How dare he trash talk the legendary Kobe/Shaq dynasty! Jeanie, do something about it!!

When I look at Curry, it reminds of Iverson. Shaq could still elevate and dunk with Iverson riding his back. I could see Curry doing something similar.
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe had his way with klay and iggy his whole career. Klay wouldn’t be able to sniff #8 kobe. I like the tenacity of fisher d with curry. Curry still gonna get his but people forget what that Lakers team did that post season. Shaq would mess up the warriors game plan immediately.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Gimme the 15-1 team over the 16-1 team any day of the week.

2001: Fisher/Kobe/Fox/Grant/Shaq with Horry/Harper/Shaw bench.

vs

2017: Steph/Klay/KD/Dray/Pachulia with Iggy/Livingston/West bench.

I got 2001 in 6 games.

PJ would slow the game down and force Dray/Zaza into foul trouble early. Then PJ would make it into a slow pace/defensive methodical type game to neutralize Warrior's threes.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I have never seen an athlete say oh yeah I/we will lose to another athlete/team
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry says 2017 Warriors would beat 2001 Lakers

32 wrote:
An interesting debate is happening on social media. Curry says 2017 Warriors would beat 2001 Lakers. He is taking a shot at one of our prized championships. We have Shaq responding. I wonder what Kobe would say. What do you think?

I think almost any star on any championship team is going to think they could have beaten any team in NBA history.

Both teams played in eras which have different styles, and both teams were built to win in that era.

The 2017 Warriors took 31 3-pointers a game. In 2001, no team averaged 20 3-pointers a game.

In 2001, the referees allowed a level of physicality that is not seen today, so how the game was refereed would impact how the teams played.

So stuff like that adds an extra layer of complexity to the what-iffing.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Okay? Not even the best team in franchise history. Sort of a weird thing to say.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Okay? Not even the best team in franchise history. Sort of a weird thing to say.

Curry was responding to a question during a magazine interview that asked him who would win the matchup. He didn’t bring up the topic.

The interviewee probably thought more people today cared about Shaq and Kobe than about Kareem and Magic.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

The idea that Fisher was once an elite defender is so odd to me.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Shaq that year was GOAT level imo.. Not a single player I take over him if we're talking just 2001. Then you had Kobe who was a better defender and overall player then anyone on there roster as well.. I could see Curry having multiple awful games and the only player I see consistently putting up numbers nightly on the Warriors in that series would be KD but it just wouldn't be enough.

I get Curry picking his own team but the 2001 Lakers would make easy work out of the 2017 Warriors.. Just a brutally awful matchup.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Shaq that year was GOAT level imo.. Not a single player I take over him if we're talking just 2001. Then you had Kobe who was a better defender and overall player then anyone on there roster as well.. I could see Curry having multiple awful games and the only player I see consistently putting up numbers nightly on the Warriors in that series would be KD but it just wouldn't be enough.

I get Curry picking his own team but the 2001 Lakers would make easy work out of the 2017 Warriors.. Just a brutally awful matchup.

That Warriors team put up a lot of points. It be interesting how the Lakers slow down that offense and what Shaq would look like guarding that spread offense. Warriors don't exactly just stand around in one spot. Lots of ball and body movement on that offense.

Defensively they have more than enough to throw at Kobe. They will let Shaq get his and just try to some what contain him.

It be interesting match-up to watch... Shaq trying to guard modern era offense. I don't think it be as easy as anyone saying.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject:

I think this is tough question to answer.

I think people are right Kobe can guard Curry and Fox can handle Klay.

But I don't think you look at 1-1 matchups.

I think the Warriors would try to neutralize Shaq defensively by doing some pick & pop..force him to come out or switch onto a 3 point shooter.

And defensively they can try to play small ball or "smaller ball"..double team Shaq in the post and force the Lakers to beat them from 3, which the Warriors would be much better at if it becomes a 3 point contest.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject:

So basically this is Shaq and Kobe vs Steph/Klay/KD??

The 2017 NBA team that was "So Unfair it RUINED the NBA because they were too overpowered" Warriors team that people love to complain about?

Well if the 2001 Lakers can beat that team, then I guess they weren't more powerful than the Lakers team that beat the 76ers and therefore people have nothing to complain about when it comes to their existence
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
I think this is tough question to answer.

I think people are right Kobe can guard Curry and Fox can handle Klay.

But I don't think you look at 1-1 matchups.

I think the Warriors would try to neutralize Shaq defensively by doing some pick & pop..force him to come out or switch onto a 3 point shooter.

And defensively they can try to play small ball or "smaller ball"..double team Shaq in the post and force the Lakers to beat them from 3, which the Warriors would be much better at if it becomes a 3 point contest.

People really under estimate Klay's game and think can easily be shutdown. That guy puts up 22ppg barely putting the ball on the floor. He's what you call straight catch and shoot player. He takes them well guarded too. Plays both side of the ball.

Warriors will clearly trade your 2 for their 3... They will make Shaq/Kobe work for each of their points.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: