Bill Russell Has Passed Away at 88
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Why is this on the Lakers Lounge? I mean RIP but that's the first thing I noticed.

I just watched the 30 for 30 on the Lakers/Celtics trilogy if you haven't seen it I highly recommend.

Because it's appropriate to show respect to fellow champions who also happen to be global icons even if they played for our rival.

The Celtics mourned Kobe and the Lakers will mourn Bill...and on LG, the Lounge is the most appropriate place to do so for greatness.

Not only that but you can’t talk about the Lakers without mentioning their battles against the Celtics, in which Russell played a huge role.

Bill Russell is as close as you can get to being part of Laker lore without donning the jersey.

RIP to an absolute legend.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject:

RIP

Most of the Celtics I couldn't give a rip about, but he is one that due our respect.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject:

He was a big part of the Celtics winning so many consecutive championships in the '60's, many at the Lakers' expense. A great nemesis, but also a warrior and a great champion. He built the wall that the Lakers spent the next half century climbing just to match the C's tally of titles won.

So yeah he's definitely part of Lakers lore.

RIP to a great player.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Don't mean to take focus off of the legend Russell's passing with this reddit clip of Kobe and Russell talking but I'd never seen this before and so am sharing it in case it's not well-known.

Kobe Bryant & Bill Russell: "I couldn't be more proud of you if you were my own son".
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject:

Definitely a legend who deserves the utmost respect despite him playing for the most evil team in sports history.

But you know what this means...Celtics will probably win it all this year.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject:

RIP. Great player and even greater human being.
Loved seeing his relationship with Kobe. Now they're back together.

One of the few respectable Celtics
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

Like Jackie Robinson with MLB, Russell's #6 should be retired around the league for all he stood for on and off the court.🍀
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Why is this on the Lakers Lounge? I mean RIP but that's the first thing I noticed.

The same reason that trade rumors are talked about in the Lakers Lounge rather than in the Trade and Free Agency Discussion forum: If you post something in any place other than the Lakers Lounge, no one notices. My guess is the moderators let this one slide because of the Celtics/Lakers connection, or just out of respect for Bill.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Like Jackie Robinson with MLB, Russell's #6 should be retired around the league for all he stood for on and off the court.🍀

This. Couldn’t agree more. A man with real integrity.

As for hoops, 11 titles in 13 years. That will never happen again.

It’s embarrassing, all the talk down thru the years, “this guy is the GOAT, that guy is the GOAT.” The GOAT just passed. It sucks that Baylor and West had to go thru all that agony at the hands of the Celts, but they had Russell and he piled up playoff wins on Wilt too.

RIP, William Felton Russell.
Superlaker66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Absolute legend! RIP Bill Russell.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject:

RIP to a Titan.

https://kareem.substack.com/p/the-bill-russell-i-knew-for-60-years?r=oo6y&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Kareem just wrote a very touching article on their relationship of 60 years. Worth the read and Cap is a helluva writer.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject:

David Friedman wrote:

Remembering Bill Russell, The Greatest Champion in North American Team Sports History

Bill Russell, who led the Boston Celtics to an unprecedented and unsurpassed 11 NBA titles in his 13 season career, passed away yesterday at the age of 88. He led a remarkable life filled not only with accomplishments on the basketball court but also imbued with intelligence, courage, dignity, and tenacity away from the basketball court.

Russell led McClymonds High School to two California state basketball titles. During an era when the sport of basketball was only beginning to integrate, he was not heavily recruited, but he accepted a scholarship to the University of San Francisco and promptly led the Dons to a 55 game winning streak plus two NCAA championships. Russell is one of a select group of Division I players who have career averages of at least 20 ppg and at least 20 rpg. Although shotblocking statistics were not kept during that era, Russell was such a dominant defensive player that he would tell his teammate K.C. Jones to run to a particular spot where Russell would direct a blocked shot to start the fastbreak! Russell led the United States basketball team to a gold medal in the 1956 Olympic Games at Melbourne, Australia before returning to the United States and leading the Boston Celtics to the 1957 NBA championship as a rookie.

[see rest at link]
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
RIP to a Titan.

https://kareem.substack.com/p/the-bill-russell-i-knew-for-60-years?r=oo6y&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Kareem just wrote a very touching article on their relationship of 60 years. Worth the read and Cap is a helluva writer.

Thank you for sharing this. I can remember Wooden talking about the racism Lew/Kareem faced during his college career in sports.. so nice to read him talk about angry black man syndrome and how neither or them succumbed to any of that

and this last part.. really touching to see they remained in touch with each other all these years and.. Kareem is still "Kid" to him.. sry.. im a softie lol
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject:

A giant, a monster, a legend, as a player and as a man.

As GT/Pete said in the LFR podcast, it's amazing how little the green fanbase celebrate him.

Go on in peace, Bill!
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Bill Russell's No. 6 to be retired across NBA following legend's death last month

Quote:
The NBA will honor the legacy of Boston Celtics legend Bill Russell by retiring his No. 6 jersey for all 30 teams, the league and the National Basketball Players Association announced Thursday.

Russell becomes the first player in NBA history to have his jersey retired leaguewide.

Along with the number being retired, all NBA players will wear a commemorative patch on the right shoulder of their jerseys during the 2022-23 season and every court will display a shamrock-shaped logo with Russell's No. 6 on the sideline near the scorer's table.

Quote:
Starting with the 2022-23 season, no NBA team will be allowed to issue No. 6 to any player. Players who currently wear No. 6 -- such as Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James -- may continue to do so. According to Basketball Reference, 25 players, including James, Kristaps Porzingis, Alex Caruso, Montrezl Harrell and Lou Williams, wore No. 6 last season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34384678/bill-russell-no-6-retired-nba-following-legend-death-last-month
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Bill Russell's No. 6 to be retired across NBA following legend's death last month

Quote:
The NBA will honor the legacy of Boston Celtics legend Bill Russell by retiring his No. 6 jersey for all 30 teams, the league and the National Basketball Players Association announced Thursday.

Russell becomes the first player in NBA history to have his jersey retired leaguewide.

Along with the number being retired, all NBA players will wear a commemorative patch on the right shoulder of their jerseys during the 2022-23 season and every court will display a shamrock-shaped logo with Russell's No. 6 on the sideline near the scorer's table.

Quote:
Starting with the 2022-23 season, no NBA team will be allowed to issue No. 6 to any player. Players who currently wear No. 6 -- such as Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James -- may continue to do so. According to Basketball Reference, 25 players, including James, Kristaps Porzingis, Alex Caruso, Montrezl Harrell and Lou Williams, wore No. 6 last season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34384678/bill-russell-no-6-retired-nba-following-legend-death-last-month

LeBron James will be the last Laker to ever rock #6!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Remembering Bill Russell, The Greatest Champion in North American Team Sports History
[/size][size=12]
Bill Russell, who led

You should really, really, really stop posting entire articles and just post links.

It's a huge copyright violation. It's bad for LG and it's unfair to the people who own the material you are stealing.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Amazing looking at the reactions from the Laker fans, almost seems like the guy was playing for the Lakers back in the day, you can’t deny the fact that he’s the only Celtic worth giving a damn for.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Amazing looking at the reactions from the Laker fans, almost seems like the guy was playing for the Lakers back in the day, you can’t deny the fact that he’s the only Celtic worth giving a damn for.

I respect a lot of Celtics greats -- John Havlicek, Bob Cousy, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Kevin Garnett, Dave Cowens are a few who come to mind.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yeah, I agree.. He's the only legitimate Celtic great I have nothing but respect for with zero dislike.. I might respect some others but there's a hell of a lot of dislike with them all
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Ming, you know better than to post full articles. That's a copyright violation.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

That’s a understatement, LG can get in trouble with the law if someone is posting illegal content.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That’s a understatement, LG can get in trouble with the law if someone is posting illegal content.

David Friedman isn't going to sue LG.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I like the guy too, but the NBA forcing us to put a clover on our floor is blasphemous at best. I hope that's only going to be for one season.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

David Friedman isn't going to sue LG.

I wasn’t asking for your legal opinion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: