Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Interesting take away from that Smoke interview is that Ham didn’t necessarily shut down the blatant vouching for Sheed by Matt & Jax. He even mentioned that he has 2 seats to still fill on his bench. And I find it real interesting that Sheed already shows up on this Laker directory 🤔

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los-Angeles-Lakers/13/staff-members
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject:

^ so for whatever reason, Sheed seems to be out….

Quote:
Emiliano Carchia: I’m being told that it is very unlikely that Rasheed Wallace joins Darvin Hams staff with the Los Angeles Lakers – via Twitter Carchia

DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Assume you are Coash Ham and the Roster we have now is the Roster we are going to rock next season. You have full control, how would you handle starting, bench and closing lineup.

My Starter:

Starter - LBJ, AD, TB, Nunn, AR
Bench - LW, Jones, Stanley, Brown, JTA
Out - Russ, THT, Christie, Gabriel

Closing - LBJ, AD, Stanley, AR, Nunn

Unless THT or Russ can show they can play without the ball or shoot the 3, they are both out of my lineup.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject:

I hope the make a team that isn't DOA for Darvin. Give him something to work with, not the current roster.

To me, he's the future of the franchise and I would cater to his needs more that LeBron's needs.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
I hope the make a team that isn't DOA for Darvin. Give him something to work with, not the current roster.

They have a foundation of James and Davis.

By most standards that is giving a HC something to work with.

I even like the collection of role players better then last year, if they can play hard and work together.

Ham’s biggest obstacle remains Westbrook. Can he fit? Can Ham get anything positive from him? If traded, will it be for something to work with or just more odd fits or headaches?

Until the WB is resolved in some manner…. who knows what Ham has to work with.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

They have a foundation of James and Davis.

By most standards that is giving a HC something to work with.

I even like the collection of role players better then last year, if they can play hard and work together.

Ham’s biggest obstacle remains Westbrook. Can he fit? Can Ham get anything positive from him? If traded, will it be for something to work with or just more odd fits or headaches?

Until the WB is resolved in some manner…. who knows what Ham has to work with.

James and Davis are great and if they don’t miss too much time we could be decent. But we are going to have multiple sub par shooters on the floor at all times. We have very poor perimeter defense. And if, god forbid, Westbrook is getting meaningful minutes he torpedoes anything we try to accomplish. It just puts a pretty low ceiling on the team. They’ll be competing for the play in. It won’t be Ham’s fault.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject:

I was a big fan of Vogel, kinda bummed he's no longer here. Ham's walking into one hell of a situation, hope he's up to it.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:

After further conversations, former NBA All-Star Rasheed Wallace will no longer join new Lakers coach Darvin Ham’s staff, sources said. Wallace served as an assistant under Penny Hardaway at the University of Memphis last season. – via Shams Charania @ The Athletic

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers head coach Darvin Ham will have more power to bench Westbrook down the stretch of games, according to league sources. (Former head coach Frank Vogel did so a few times last season). That could eventually extend to removing Westbrook from the starting lineup as well. – via Jovan Buha @ The Athletic

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject:

all this drama and the season hasn't even started...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Lakers head coach Darvin Ham will have more power to bench Westbrook down the stretch of games, according to league sources. (Former head coach Frank Vogel did so a few times last season). That could eventually extend to removing Westbrook from the starting lineup as well. – via Jovan Buha @ The Athletic

Crazy that this even needs to be brought up.

Doesn't a coach get autonomy or it's this same B.S. where Kurt Rambis is in the lockerroom and suggesting DeAndre Jordan starts.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:

Crazy that this even needs to be brought up.

Doesn't a coach get autonomy or it's this same B.S. where Kurt Rambis is in the lockerroom and suggesting DeAndre Jordan starts.

How’s putting this out in the media helps selling it to WB lol, the bridge is badly burned, from both side
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject:

A lot of guys like are like Stephen Jackson. Stephen said in 2019 he can't respect Vogel because he didn't play the game himself (NBA level). I'm sure many players are like this in the league. For those players, some of which we may have, Ham is the right choice. Now add he brings the PR spin that the FO wants while Vogel was more frank (no pun in intended), it's obvious where this is headed.

I don't think we should expect earth shattering changes but at least you should see players like Russ give some damn about the coaching schemes. Lebron, perhaps as well, can be called out by Ham, something I don't think Vogel would do.

In the end, this is just trying to make a massive disaster (Westbrook trade) into some sort of salvagable situation. Ham's PR spin on WB is something Vogel just wouldn't do nor be as good a salesman.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Kinda wondering where Vogel is going to end up. He's been real quiet other than a quick visit to UCLA.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject:

poppies wrote:
Kinda wondering where Vogel is going to end up. He's been real quiet other than a quick visit to UCLA.

He interviewed for the Hornets job.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Will there be a McDarvin Ham Sandwich out there.. got them munchies

Sidenote question.. if the Feds legalized marijuana would it increase the price of my CO weed? Them enforcing their cut of taxes on top of CO taking their %.. if in CA.. don't check our menu prices
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
A lot of guys like are like Stephen Jackson. Stephen said in 2019 he can't respect Vogel because he didn't play the game himself (NBA level). .

Weird thing for Jackson to say considering he won his only ring playing for Greg Poppovich, who never played in the NBA either.

I think half the championships won over the past decade were by teams whose coach never played in the NBA.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
A lot of guys like are like Stephen Jackson. Stephen said in 2019 he can't respect Vogel because he didn't play the game himself (NBA level). .

Weird thing for Jackson to say considering he won his only ring playing for Greg Poppovich, who never played in the NBA either.

I think half the championships won over the past decade were by teams whose coach never played in the NBA.

Maybe he meant black coaches would get the respect more than white coaches
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject:

Without a trade Ham will be on an Island and the Island has hungry lions on it
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Will there be a McDarvin Ham Sandwich out there.. got them munchies

Sidenote question.. if the Feds legalized marijuana would it increase the price of my CO weed? Them enforcing their cut of taxes on top of CO taking their %.. if in CA.. don't check our menu prices

Well your whole post took a turn in a different direction now didn't it
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Maybe he meant black coaches would get the respect more than white coaches

Still a dumb comment from Jackson but that seems to be the type of comments he makes so there you go lol
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
A lot of guys like are like Stephen Jackson. Stephen said in 2019 he can't respect Vogel because he didn't play the game himself (NBA level). I'm sure many players are like this in the league. For those players, some of which we may have, Ham is the right choice. Now add he brings the PR spin that the FO wants while Vogel was more frank (no pun in intended), it's obvious where this is headed.

I don't think we should expect earth shattering changes but at least you should see players like Russ give some damn about the coaching schemes. Lebron, perhaps as well, can be called out by Ham, something I don't think Vogel would do.

In the end, this is just trying to make a massive disaster (Westbrook trade) into some sort of salvagable situation. Ham's PR spin on WB is something Vogel just wouldn't do nor be as good a salesman.

If true, the recent revelation that Ham has been given authority to "bench" Westbrook, if necessary, demonstrates how Vogel was setup for massive failure. Such permission had to be denied for Vogel if Ham had to be given any kind of permission or authority to bench Westbrook.

Add to that the recent count of ten ex-Lakers still being available from last years roster because nobody wants them enough to sign them, and it exposes a coach who had no true authority, and a roster full of aged, minimum signings .
Thats not on Vogel, thats on a dysfunctional front office.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Yeah he had his flaws, and he needed defenders. The Lakers (Pelinka) thought he could turn matadors and dinosaurs who never defended (Melo, WB) into defenders. It is what it is. Vogel made mistakes too, but I think when you think about a guy who won you a ring, you probably deserve to give him a fair shake with a roster that suited to his strengths, I mean he had a winning formula with his vision of Bron playing PG, playing 2 Centers to protect the basket, etc etc. We made a lot of changes.

It is what it is can't change the past, but I wish Ham well and think on the surface it seems he's qualified and brings a strong system to the table. We should be better next year, which means 45 wins range IMO. I just don't get why they went away from a recipe that won them a ring. At least let the team with a healthy AD, that coach, etc. have a run. Nope, massive changes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah he had his flaws, and he needed defenders. The Lakers (Pelinka) thought he could turn matadors and dinosaurs who never defended (Melo, WB) into defenders. It is what it is. Vogel made mistakes too, but I think when you think about a guy who won you a ring, you probably deserve to give him a fair shake with a roster that suited to his strengths, I mean he had a winning formula with his vision of Bron playing PG, playing 2 Centers to protect the basket, etc etc. We made a lot of changes.

It is what it is can't change the past, but I wish Ham well and think on the surface it seems he's qualified and brings a strong system to the table. We should be better next year, which means 45 wins range IMO. I just don't get why they went away from a recipe that won them a ring. At least let the team with a healthy AD, that coach, etc. have a run. Nope, massive changes.

I'm still incredibly upset and frustrated over how Vogel was treated
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

Hoping that Ham does amazing with us. And that it isn't another Byron Scott situation. Which means 1) Promising to Change the Culture 2) Promising to Turn us into a defensive team full of dogs 3) Does neither 1 or 2.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 58 of 277
Jump to: