NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
What more does Cam Reddish have to do to convince you guys that he stinks?

Play a couple games for the Lakers.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
logical24 wrote:
I would love:

Pat
Bojan
Beasley
Cam

In that 3 way trade

What more does Cam Reddish have to do to convince you guys that he stinks?

Didn’t you know? Logical has a crush on Reddish.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Jazz approach is to take Russell, Talen, Kendrick ($63 million) and send out $50 million in salary.

Out of the luxury tax.

Worth 2 unprotected first round picks?

Depends who are the players... if it was Beverly, Bojan, Beasley, Clarkson - yes I'd strongly consider it. I'd try to get light protections but the depth there is crazy:

Jones, Bryant, Gabriel
AD, Bojan, Stanley
LeBron, Brown Jr, JTA
Beasley, Walker, Reaves, Max
Beverly, Clarkson

But Jeanie is looking to duck the tax not electric slide into it
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject:

If Lakers want 2023 cap flexibility while being competitive now (assuming no Nets trade), you trade for Bev/Beasley/Bogs/Gay for Russ/THT/1sts. That way those players expire (Beasley is a team option and Gay can be stretched or traded if needed) and you have your 33m plus (and if LBJ takes a haircut) a max slot. Not that there are any great FAs in 2023 who are younger than 30.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Is there another deal out there for Russ?
Seems to me the only other possible deal is with Miami if Riles really thinks Fat Kyle isn’t right and Fit Russ is. He could include that terrible Duncan Robinson contract, who becomes our best shooter.

Russ would compete with “Herro dreams of starting” in training camp.
Heat would shed 60 mil off the books.

That move may only cost FRP.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Seems to me the only other possible deal is with Miami if Riles really thinks Fat Kyle isn’t right and Fit Russ is. He could include that terrible Duncan Robinson contract, who becomes our best shooter.

I still think OKC can be a dark horse to land Westbrook.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Cost? If we take on Kyle Lowry's contract, then we better get draft pick(s) in return.

$30 million in dead cap space until 2024.

We miss out on free agents in 2023.

40 year old Kyle Lowry becomes the new Luol Deng. They may even decide to stretch his last two years. It's that bad of a contract.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Cost? If we take on Kyle Lowry's contract, we better get a draft pick in return.

Lakers should have received a FRP for taking on close to $100 million dollars, with Russ’s contract.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Cost? If we take on Kyle Lowry's contract, we better get a draft pick in return.

Lakers should have received a FRP for taking on close to $100 million dollars, with Russ’s contract.

Shoot, if y’all think it should cost them a pick, let’s go!!!

PS I don’t believe you.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"All signs point toward both sides looking to extend their partnership together... I think both sides recognize that they can help one another get to their mutual goal."

@mcten on where things stand between the Lakers & LeBron James on an extension

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1555711143104155657?t=vxDzctI3VlD9YkGf0jY1hQ&s=19
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
"All signs point toward both sides looking to extend their partnership together... I think both sides recognize that they can help one another get to their mutual goal."

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1555711143104155657?t=vxDzctI3VlD9YkGf0jY1hQ&s=19

Great news. Now let’s improve this roster!!!!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
zambia wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Shoot, if y’all think it should cost them a pick, let’s go!!!

PS I don’t believe you.

And you shouldn’t haha. They saving their picks for KD, if/when that happens. The only one they owe right now is the 2025 1st going to OKC, which they amended at the trade deadline last year.

It’s something we definitely should consider in doing with our 2024 1st going to NO. Try to remove that deferment option in 2025. That way we’re armed with more pick swaps and earlier picks in 2026/28 vs 27/29. Another option is to have the puck convey in 2025 so that we could trade our 2023 1st after NO swaps with us. Either way, I hope they learn from this experience…never ever offer multiple deferment options on your draft capital.

Quote:
The Thunder and Heat will amend the 2023 first-round pick the Heat had previously owed the Thunder, whereas two years of protections will be eliminated, and that pick will now be owed to the Thunder starting in 2025 (1-14 protected) and then will convey as unprotected in 2026.

As for Miami, taking on Russ for Lowry/Duncan…I’d take that right now too! However I believe Miami is 2m below the tax line and ironically that swap would actually add just enough to their team salary to breach that tax line and make ‘em a payer.

Speaking of Miami, it’s rumored their contingency plan is Hayward and it always comes back to Charlotte for me.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1555219703567630336

If our remaining tradeable picks are involved, it would have to be for Ky or Myles imho. Any other package doesn’t justify the involvement our our last remaining legitimate assets.

So if it’s a trade involving Russ, you can only offer another team an immediate reset to their books. Longterm money is the only thing you can at least negotiate Russ for without involving our draft capital. Scary Terry/Hayward would make sense in offering to Charlotte, since they can reset next summer especially after the Bridges debacle.

That’s why I believe any Utah deal involving PatBev/Beas/Bogs/JC makes no sense for Ainge to do without extracting as many picks as he could from us. Russ provides an expiring just like most of their current players do (JC can opt out and Beas has a team option).

Instead of wasting time there, I would hope they turn to legitimate options if they truly do not want to involve our draft capital. Although rumor has it, they also don’t want to take on longterm salary. So how exactly do they believe they can move off Russ’s deal if they don’t want to involve multiple picks while not taking on longterm money. Wtf?

They really believe they can swap out expirings for expirings attaching one pick huh? Not really an efficient way to use a draft pick (even one 5 years down the line). But then again, we already know what it is when it comes to what should be expected in them managing our assets.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Great news. Now let’s improve this roster!!!!

I concur!!!
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Instead of wasting time there, I would hope they turn to legitimate options if they truly do not want to involve our draft capital. Although rumor has it, they also don’t want to take on longterm salary. So how exactly do they believe they can move off Russ’s deal if they don’t want to involve multiple picks while not taking on longterm money. Wtf?

They really believe they can swap out expirings for expirings attaching one pick huh? Not really an efficient way to use a draft pick (even one 5 years down the line). But then again, we already know what it is when it comes to what should be expected in them managing our assets.

The offer draft picks almost seems like the last thing they want to do. Taking on salary for an ok if means a team they are convinced can play at a high level.
Soooo…The Russ deal only can be made if the Lakers take on REALLY bad contracts for talent that, through hypnosis or some secret govt mind control program, the Lakers can be convinced that Ham can convert into winning hand.

We are scruuuwed.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Lowry played well until he hurt his hamstring, and he is best buds with Jimmy Butler. Hard to imagine why the Heat would want to swap out Lowry for Westbrook, and why they would see him as a better fit.

In fact, it's hard to see why any contending team would want Westbrook as a player.

If he's traded, I think it will be to a rebuilding team who may well waive him afterwards.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Seems to me the only other possible deal is with Miami if Riles really thinks Fat Kyle isn’t right and Fit Russ is.

Your optimism is admirable, but there is zero chance that Pat Riley wants Russell Westbrook on the team. If he wants to offload Lowry, it won't be for Westbrook. I understand the frustration, but come on.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject:

@hydrohead: Yep we got dick to offer…but we may be getting a little too eager to get off of Russ. Hope we don't blow it when we do

https://twitter.com/casualtakeking/status/1555376829522841600

Btw fam, I was like, I gotta use that vid somehow and posting it when I get into an exchange with hydro-head 😏 would be so appropriate. Or not 😂
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

I'm not sure that your assumption is correct. I expect that Pelinka has already figured out that we can't move Westbrook without giving up all of our draft capital and/or taking on long-term bad contracts. I think he's looking for situations that he can exploit (such as the Irving-Nets situation). In other words, he's hoping that something falls into our lap. It's pathetic that we've gotten to this point, but that's water under the bridge/spilled milk. I can't fault Pelinka for letting events unfold instead of trying to rush into a deal.

At some point, however, Jeanie and Pelinka may need to make the really hard call: Do we want to go to training camp with Westbrook on board? Buha called it a soft deadline. I don't think it's really that soft. If we go to training camp with Westbrook, we need to commit to it. We can't let the soap opera drag into the season. We can't have a new Westbrook trade rumor every other day. That would push us right to the worst-case scenario of shipping a lottery pick to the Pelicans.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
At some point, however, Jeanie and Pelinka may need to make the really hard call: Do we want to go to training camp with Westbrook on board? Buha called it a soft deadline. I don't think it's really that soft. If we go to training camp with Westbrook, we need to commit to it. We can't let the soap opera drag into the season. We can't have a new Westbrook trade rumor every other day. That would push us right to the worst-case scenario of shipping a lottery pick to the Pelicans.

In my way of thinking, concerning themselves with the soap opera or worrying about the New Orleans pick are precisely what they should avoid.

Russ doesn’t have star capital anymore. If there was any doubt, the team just leaked the coach wasn’t required to start or close with him. He’s a role player clogging our cap. That’s causing a talent deficit. But once you get past the idea he has star input, things become clearer. The media will try to create drama, but if we’re winning LeBron and Ham will easily shut that down. If we’re not, trading Russ isn’t going to have fixed that.

Ultimately, Davis, LeBron and Ham have far more to do with how our season starts than Russ.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject:

The worry with Lebron, is at his age, the inevitable not good enough to be a team's best player on a ring team decline is coming, it's already there, he just takes so many games off you can't see it. The moment he feels he's not able to go all out, he sits out a lot of games. He wasn't doing this 3-5 years ago or in his prime. So Lebron's "Lebron" level games are getting less by the year. We had about 40 this year and maybe get the same or less next year. To give that 2 more years on top of that, risky. Do we really beleive he can be a MVP level player for 3 straight months from late April to June?

I'm fully on board with movement for draft picks/longterm assets for LBJ/AD, but we won't go there, yet also don't seem to be willing to give the price it requires to move WB. What WB was about, was to make Lebron's life easier, and allow Lebron no longer to have to be the most dominant player on the floor. That never happened. We now yearn for the Lebron/AD and role player years where we were actually any good.

Stuck in the middle... not good enough to win with Lebron/AD+role players, not good enough to win with Lebron/AD/WB. Yet want to give LBJ 2 more years?

Our best bet may be just to take a chance on Kyrie. If it's at all possible. He's the one guy still good enough that if he likes basketball and dedicates at the right time, he could be the best player during the playoffs allowing a Lebron decline to still lead the Lakers to title run. But again, this is Kyrie, and he may not like basketball in April 2023.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

In my way of thinking, concerning themselves with the soap opera or worrying about the New Orleans pick are precisely what they should avoid.

Russ doesn’t have star capital anymore. If there was any doubt, the team just leaked the coach wasn’t required to start or close with him. He’s a role player clogging our cap. That’s causing a talent deficit. But once you get past the idea he has star input, things become clearer. The media will try to create drama, but if we’re winning LeBron and Ham will easily shut that down. If we’re not, trading Russ isn’t going to have fixed that.

Ultimately, Davis, LeBron and Ham have far more to do with how our season starts than Russ.

I'm not so sure about that. We have one of the worst rosters in the league from 4 to 15. Lebron and Davis are likely to miss games. If we don't get anything from Westbrook at 3, and if we don't make a positive trade, we're probably a lottery team.

For sure, there are some optimistic scenarios in which someone in the 4 to 15 range greatly exceeds expectations. But suppose that Lebron and Davis both play 60 games (which is more than either played last year or the prior year). If you're counting on Kendrick Nunn and Austin Reaves to carry the load, you're not being realistic. Barring a trade, we will need to find a way to get positive production from Westbrook. Otherwise, you're counting on Lebron and Davis to have surprisingly healthy seasons and multiple players in the 4 to 15 range to have surprising breakout seasons, especially when it comes to shooting.

If we have an ongoing soap opera about Westbrook, it just gets worse.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject:

If the Jazz trade also requires both picks, I'd go with the Pacers trade. I think Turner is more impactful than anybody on the Jazz. Turner and Hield are also younger than the players the Lakers would get from Utah.

At this point, take it to training camp. If the Nets really are going to take this into the season, the Lakers have a tough choice to make. The Lakers aren't good enough as a team to wait until the trade deadline for Kyrie. Unfortunately, the teams in the running for KD are good enough to wait. So, a stalemate is a real possibility.

It's new news that the Jazz also want both Laker picks. It was always likely though because of the hauls Danny Ainge usually gets from trades, including the recent Gobert trade.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Stuck in the middle... not good enough to win with Lebron/AD+role players, not good enough to win with Lebron/AD/WB. Yet want to give LBJ 2 more years?

Our best bet may be just to take a chance on Kyrie. If it's at all possible. He's the one guy still good enough that if he likes basketball and dedicates at the right time, he could be the best player during the playoffs allowing a Lebron decline to still lead the Lakers to title run. But again, this is Kyrie, and he may not like basketball in April 2023.

Sure. If we could somehow pull off a trade for Irving + Harris or Curry, it would be a game changer in the short term. There's a reasonable argument that Turner and Hield would be even better. Either way, the long term would be bleak, but it's not looking great even if we keep the picks.

As for giving Lebron two more years, what's the realistic alternative? We aren't going to trade him, and we can't tank when we don't control our draft picks. I won't say that extending Lebron is a no-brainer, because it isn't that simple. But I still haven't heard a realistic alternative.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Utah should use those 5 1sts from Gobert trade to get Durant. Instant upgrade. Mitchell and KD would be nice. Then Kyrie traded to Lakers gets the Nets another 1st. Is KD to Utah a possibility?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Utah should use those 5 1sts from Gobert trade to get Durant. Instant upgrade. Mitchell and KD would be nice. Then Kyrie traded to Lakers gets the Nets another 1st. Is KD to Utah a possibility?

Problem is they don’t have their picks so tanking isn’t worth. They need a trade with Houston to get their picks and swaps back. Like Mitchell going there or sending Brown there in a three-way with the C’s. Without their own picks they need to stay competitive.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next
Page 122 of 2545
Jump to: