NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
This is what Rob told Bron in the meeting:

In a recent meeting between Rob Pelinka, Darvin Ham, LeBron James, and his agent, the powerful Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, Pelinka reportedly promised LeBron that he'll do everything in his power to ensure that the Lakers are perennial contenders according to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports.

He’ll do everything in his power to ensure that they’re contenders. That obviously means Russ is gone. There’s no other way to slice it. I’m sticking to that. Anyone in their right mind knows this team does not contend with Russ.

I understand the frustration, but you're grasping at straws. Getting rid of Westbrook -- by itself -- does not make us a contender. In fact, Pelinka's statement is really pretty vanilla. What did you think he was going to say? "We don't really care about contending. We're just smoking weed and having a laugh."

Sorry Hunter I disagree with you 100%. Kyrie makes us a contender, Turner / Hield makes us a contender. I’m not frustrated….I’m taking Rob for his word. Trading Russ even to Utah for Bogs, JC and Beverly IMO makes us a threat. All these deals and maybe more. Standing pat is an assurance we don’t contend. Don’t over think this. The saying “keep it simple stupid” applies here. Russ on this team has no chance…..the trades that have been proposed do. If u don’t agree fine. But even you have to admit we have no shot with Russ. That’s a fact.

Kyrie isn’t up to us. Turner and Hield make us a contender? Lmao. Hield has never sniffed competitive basketball in the playoffs and guys who go into the playoffs for the first time aren’t always known for thriving there. Turner is injury prone as all get out and the idea of him is better than the player, who has been fairly mediocre outside of his blocked shots. If we trade for Turner and Hield, we need more and so we need at least one pick to try to get more.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject:

If Kyrie is a no, Then i would shift to Buddy/Turner and sign Dennis.

Dennis
Buddy
LeBron
AD
Turner

That lineup can compete if everyone is healthy.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Important to note that Woj said shooting and size, and the retweets interpreted size as big men. Not the same thing.

Fwiw, he also said the roster might not be dramatically different by training camp, just subtly. That doesn't sound like Westbrook + the picks, but more likely THT+ for better fitting 6-through-10 guys. And waiting for Kyrie or whomever until potentially the deadline.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Now we know why LeBron signed the extension

https://mobile.twitter.com/_Talkin_NBA/status/1559982103172943872

Smells like Myles and Buddy...

Could be anyone, especially when the Lakers are talking to a lot of teams.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Important to note that Woj said shooting and size, and the retweets interpreted size as big men. Not the same thing.

Fwiw, he also said the roster might not be dramatically different by training camp, just subtly. That doesn't sound like Westbrook + the picks, but more likely THT+ for better fitting 6-through-10 guys. And waiting for Kyrie or whomever until potentially the deadline.

was he reporting on that training camp thing or was he speculating?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

In a recent meeting between Rob Pelinka, Darvin Ham, LeBron James, and his agent, the powerful Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, Pelinka reportedly promised LeBron that he'll do everything in his power to ensure that the Lakers are perennial contenders according to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports.

He’ll do everything in his power to ensure that they’re contenders. That obviously means Russ is gone. There’s no other way to slice it. I’m sticking to that. Anyone in their right mind knows this team does not contend with Russ.

I understand the frustration, but you're grasping at straws. Getting rid of Westbrook -- by itself -- does not make us a contender. In fact, Pelinka's statement is really pretty vanilla. What did you think he was going to say? "We don't really care about contending. We're just smoking weed and having a laugh."

Sorry Hunter I disagree with you 100%. Kyrie makes us a contender, Turner / Hield makes us a contender. I’m not frustrated….I’m taking Rob for his word. Trading Russ even to Utah for Bogs, JC and Beverly IMO makes us a threat. All these deals and maybe more. Standing pat is an assurance we don’t contend. Don’t over think this. The saying “keep it simple stupid” applies here. Russ on this team has no chance…..the trades that have been proposed do. If u don’t agree fine. But even you have to admit we have no shot with Russ. That’s a fact.

Kyrie isn’t up to us. Turner and Hield make us a contender? Lmao. Hield has never sniffed competitive basketball in the playoffs and guys who go into the playoffs for the first time aren’t always known for thriving there. Turner is injury prone as all get out and the idea of him is better than the player, who has been fairly mediocre outside of his blocked shots. If we trade for Turner and Hield, we need more and so we need at least one pick to try to get more.

Keep laughing….like everyone did with Wiggins….it’s all about fit….they get a shooter and a big…..2 positions of big need. And if it takes FRPS so bet it…like Rob said “everything within my power.”
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Just watched the video, he’s clearly giving his hence/assumption as opposed to reporting, no one knows what Pelinka has up his sleeve at least not in a way were he’s revealing his plans.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Keep laughing….like everyone did with Wiggins….it’s all about fit….they get a shooter and a big…..2 positions of big need. And if it takes FRPS so bet it…like Rob said “everything within my power.”

There’s a good chance that trading both picks might not be within his power.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
gng930 wrote:

There certainly are ways to recoup value, it's just unfortunate that they have to do any recouping at all when you have/had a razor-thin contention window with Lebron. Klutch influence or not, the Russ trade was an absolutely blunder that most foresaw compounded by the assets lost. They are bleeding assets further when they insist on essentially one year deals and then having to weight using their scarce exception(s) the following summer to retain them. They may get value for Russ or in FA next summer. I just don't see them getting both with the deals being reported out there and our impending FAs that may cannibalize that cap space next summer and limit any net gains.

If I'm going to be honest, I didn't even expect a single title from the Lebron James era and I thought his greatest contribution would be getting that next guy to sign. And he delivered both.

I am reasonably worried about the future after this era, not because I don't think we'll be able to sign stars after Bron and AD are gone, but because I'm not confident they'll be good enough to contend for a long time with this middling to below-average front office.

But there are a lot of bad or subpar decisions made around the league that receive absolutely zero long-term scrutiny by virtue of not being the Lakers. And there is plenty of success that is "lucked" into , some even amounting in titles and others not yielding anything at all due to other bad luck or mismanagement. And yet those front offices aren't considered ones that fail upwards that grossly mismanage everything.

Let's consider Houston, another team that traded for Westbrook. They traded 2 first rounders and Chris Paul for Westbrook. Then they received another first from the Wizards who traded for Westbrook, which was a bad deal considering what they achieved. Houston's collapse resulted in Harden wanting out in a deal in which they took the consensus worst offer at the time. But now that Brooklyn's collapsing prematurely, those Nets picks look great.

There are 3-4 examples in there of teams "failing upwards" or lucking in to better situations. Most of those front offices are probably middling or below average. It's just difficult to really evaluate that.

Anyway, all this to say, it's hard to really evaluate the compounding effects of a "good" or "bad" move until a lot of time has passed, after which it's still very hard. So I just try to keep my expectations reasonable.

That said, if Westbrook is on the team and playing basketball this season, I will be screaming my head off at least once a game.

To be fair why should we care to continue to scrutinize Houston's FO as Laker fans. At this point they have no direct relevance to us. My recollection was that their mishandling of Harden/CP/Russ at the time was widely mocked on here.

The Lakers have resources that others only dream of. You only need to look upstate (Warriors) or across town (Dodgers) to see what a more committed ownership group and competent FO gets you.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I think they have potential in theory, I'm just hesitant about investing that much in players I don't feel confident that we can close with. I'd feel much better if we could flip Turner for a 2-way wing or trade for just Hield, a $25+ million trade exception, and hold on to at least one FRP.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
RashardA wrote:
In all my years as a Lakers fan I've never wanted the Buss family to sell.

The Lakers are so mismanaged I've gotten to that point.

They have not a (bleep) clue what they are doing, and they show it day after day after day by making horrible decision after horrible decision.

The Buss family is doubling down on an extended series on Hulu!! All about $$$$ and talking about how they won in 2020

As a business owner, would you let go off of your money making machine? I don't think so.

Reality is even the Kyrie deal, this is not a championship roster

Nope, but it’s clear winning isn’t the main goal right now. It’s very Angels like…trot out Ohtani (Lebron) and Day to Davis (Trout) and cheap out on everything behind including the most important thing a legitimate, modern basketball operations.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject:

We need Kyrie. If we can't get Kyrie, I would just trade Bron and AD and hold on to our frps for a total rebuild. I don't want to give up our frps for Hield and Turner.

We're just too depleted asset-wise in order to improve the team significantly. If we head into the next trade deadline with mediocre assets, nobody is going to want to do business with us. Since we could not improve the team significantly thru trading, then it's better if we start from the ground up and draft our own stars and hope to find more gems via 2-way. That's how we could slowly but surely climb out of the pit we've dug for ourselves.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Pacers fans

Twitter says Pacers and Bulls discussed a Myles + Buddy for Vucevic, Coby White, and 1st rd pick trade. I hate that deal tbh.

Not a very big fan as well. The 1st is going to be in the early 20's (maybe late teens). Vucevic's contract is expiring in the summer of 2023; as well as Turners.

White will most likely be a serviceable guard off the bench. Keep in mind he is young. He was the 7th pick in the 2019 draft.

The LA deal is better than that. At least if they were unprotected the LA 1st rounders could end up high picks.

Agreed but LA isn’t willing to part with 2 picks (they just want to give 1)
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject:

You can see how the math is lining up with LeBron's extension and the team's allergy to 2023 salary over the last couple years. They are telegraphing their interest in avoiding the repeater tax (no way $20m in cap is worth the multi-year avoidance of salaries that go into that season). It's all been about avoiding finding themselves in the Golden St, LAC, Brooklyn cap/tax situation.

It will be interesting to see how aggressively they pursue Kyrie who presumably would push for a max deal in 2023. Maybe they do what they need to make a run this year and worry about that later. You can also open up some breathing room by moving THT, who seems likely to get dealt. But it's hyper-risky to say we're going to give up our future draft capital and then cut costs to stay out of the tax. Something has to give.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Woj says the Lakers could make a significant trade with the two first round picks that they have. He says the Lakers are willing to give up two first round picks for Kyrie but the Nets aren't interested. He also says the Lakers are not willing to give up both first round picks for Miles Turner and Buddy hield. He said Westbrook would be involved in both trades.

https://twitter.com/RichStapless/status/1560058202544345088?t=4D4Efk15yMlvHD6vSs_RnQ&s=19

Last edited by 32 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

The Nets wouldn’t take two first rounders for Kyrie? That’s crazy given their situation. I guess they are fine letting him walk for nothing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
The Nets wouldn’t take two first rounders for Kyrie? That’s crazy given their situation. I guess they are fine letting him walk for nothing.

They are trying to win the East. And I’m not so sure that Kyrie will leave.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What's Next for Westbrook?

Per several sources connected to teams like the Brooklyn Nets, Indiana Pacers and San Antonio Spurs, the Lakers have not been willing to part with significant draft capital to get off Westbrook's contract. But that may have been tied to uncertainty surrounding James' future, which is now put to rest.

The sense from those sources: Westbrook will have a new home when the Lakers green-light trades that include both their 2027 and 2029 first-rounders. What's still unclear is whether L.A. will be willing to do so.

LINK
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Woj says the Lakers could make a significant trade with the two first round picks that they have. He says the Lakers are willing to give up two first round picks for Kyrie but the Nets aren't interested right now. He also says the Lakers are not willing to give up both first round picks for Miles Turner and Buddy hield. He said Westbrook would be involved in both trades.

https://twitter.com/RichStapless/status/1560058202544345088?t=4D4Efk15yMlvHD6vSs_RnQ&s=19

He didn't say "right now." He said that the Nets haven't been interested. I'm not suggesting that we should parse Woj's words like he's a diplomat at the United Nations. Just the same, it adds to my suspicion that the whole thing is a phantom trade idea that got pumped up by clickbaiters.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject:

People keep saying this, but it's important to remember that (1) the deal would include them taking Westbrook, who they don't want, (2) we can't deal Westbrook straight up for Irving anyway, because the salaries don't match, (3) this means that the Nets would need to toss in another player or find a third team (which would take one of the picks as rent), and (4) we may be trying to put protections on the picks, which reduces their value, especially given that the picks are five and seven years out.

So yes, it is conceivable that the Nets would rationally tell us, "No thanks, we're good."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

People keep saying this, but it's important to remember that (1) the deal would include them taking Westbrook, who they don't want, (2) we can't deal Westbrook straight up for Irving anyway, because the salaries don't match, (3) this means that the Nets would need to toss in another player or find a third team (which would take one of the picks as rent), and (4) we may be trying to put protections on the picks, which reduces their value, especially given that the picks are five and seven years out.

So yes, it is conceivable that the Nets would rationally tell us, "No thanks, we're good."

And (5) the Nets may be more interested in competing this year with Durant, Irving & co. rather than trading Irving for future picks.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

If they trade Durant then sure they probably would. If they’re not trading Durant it makes no sense for them. Hence, the limbo. As of right now, Brooklyn is trying to compete for the championship this season with KD and Irving.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
What's Next for Westbrook?

Per several sources connected to teams like the Brooklyn Nets, Indiana Pacers and San Antonio Spurs, the Lakers have not been willing to part with significant draft capital to get off Westbrook's contract. But that may have been tied to uncertainty surrounding James' future, which is now put to rest.

The sense from those sources: Westbrook will have a new home when the Lakers green-light trades that include both their 2027 and 2029 first-rounders. What's still unclear is whether L.A. will be willing to do so.

LINK

Their desperation to just "get something done" in order to appease Lebron might end up forcing them to make another bad trade. The way I see it, Lebron signing an extension or not should not influence my stance on trades. If a trade didn't make sense before, it still wouldn't make sense now.

Only the Kyrie trade would make sense giving up our frps for. Otherwise, I would just let Brick's contract expire and hold on to the frps. I'm sure Lebron would understand. Getting Hield and Turner wouldn't improve our odds of winning the championship by much.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

All that drama over including the 2nd FRP and apparently that’s insufficient as well. Classic
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LeBron James' decision to re-sign with the #Lakers was not without complications.

Sources tell @jovanbuha James has been privately adamant that the Lakers still need to improve the current roster – and need to trade for Kyrie Irving.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/status/1560090548303810561?t=do4L1D8IRaxil6CxpJq-UQ&s=19
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next
Page 183 of 2545
Jump to: