Curry says 2017 Warriors would beat 2001 Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
The GS 2017 as good as there offense is it can be slowed down.

Really?

Man, people are really looking at defensive PPG when the bottom line is point differential.

+12 points for an entire season was an outlier. Too many assumptions being made about Kobe continuing his fire play and Fisher staying hot behind the arc.

Meanwhile, Curry, Klay, and KD weren't even that outlier when they won huge over playoff teams.

Quote:
Off Rtg: 115.6 (1st of 30) Def Rtg: 104.0 (2nd of 30) Net Rtg: +11.6 (1st of 30)

That GSW team was like giving LAL a prime Peja and then steamrolling teams.

As dominant as Shaq was back then, Durant shot +8% higher TS and was an equivalent scorer throughout the entire playoffs.

"They could be stopped"

Yeah it basically took a 3rd All Star in their relative prime age with LBJ in GOAT mode and Kyrie matching him point for point in order to do it, and that was before Kevin Durant showed up.

That 2001 team didn't have that 3rd guy.

As good as GS stat is it’s does not determine the outcome when you play for real. If you are playing a video game GS will win, but Utah series just showed a big man in the middle not even as dominant as shaq played GS well even if they don’t have any HOF playing in there team. Too bad video game can’t account for intimidation, strength, toughness, roughness, a little dirty play, body ache and pain that comes in a heated playoff game. Yeah GS can shoot the lights out but that Laker team is a tough bunch of players top to bottom.

You're right. Stats don't determine the outcome. Talent does a lot of it. If you look at the rest of the roster outside of the Top 2, GSW has 1 franchise player. The Lakers don't.

That's how big the disparity is.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Like to see Green, West and Zaza against the diesel.

Players that played against shaq said about his presence.

I mean, that's how the Bulls dealt with a younger, in-shape Shaq. They did well.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

what he did to Diekembe was crazy in the 2001 finals, probably a highlight real out there on youtube on him dunking on him viciously multiple times.

and also him battling David Robinson and Duncan before the finals and doing similar stuff to them whom I consider some of the 2 best ever defensive bigs. 2000 and 2001 shaq was the best version of shaq ever. He was always talented but his discipline on defense and maturity just shined.

Agree, this is where I believe people forgot, since shaq has different versions of himself thru the years, unlike curry/Klay/Durant there version is constant. That year shaq destroyed anyone in his way and it’s a fearful sight for the opponent specially for the people that is assigned to guard him even player helping out is cautious when he makes his move for fear of getting hurt.

Dikembe was a few years out from retirement, and did shockingly well considering.

Shaq was struggling with foul trouble against SAS and had to have Kobe carry it against their bigs.

I hate that this is the primary point of contention, when LAL didn't have any real help against Curry, let alone Klay, let alone KD when it comes to man or off-ball defense outside of Kobe. Rick Fox? Please.

LAL's entire defensive strategy leans into what GSW does best. Shaq sagging into the paint. Two elite off-ball players, outside of an elite 3-level point of attack. That 2001 team got killed by point guards all year, and somehow it's "easy" with Curry? With two of the leagues elite shooters next to him in KD and Klay?

Nah.

Both teams even match evenly with team rebounding as a whole and KD shot 7% better TS than Shaq despite the same playoff scoring average altogether.

Like I said. It's like adding a prime Peja to the 2001 team, and only then it's even in talent.

That 2001 team had too long of a break and struggled to defend Iverson which led to a Game 1 loss. Well, imagine it's Iverson, with +8%FG, and that version of Iverson had a prime KD and Klay.

That 76er team had nothing else in terms of scoring. Certainly not the length or defensive talent of GSW outside of Mutombo.

DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

what he did to Diekembe was crazy in the 2001 finals, probably a highlight real out there on youtube on him dunking on him viciously multiple times.

and also him battling David Robinson and Duncan before the finals and doing similar stuff to them whom I consider some of the 2 best ever defensive bigs. 2000 and 2001 shaq was the best version of shaq ever. He was always talented but his discipline on defense and maturity just shined.

Agree, this is where I believe people forgot, since shaq has different versions of himself thru the years, unlike curry/Klay/Durant there version is constant. That year shaq destroyed anyone in his way and it’s a fearful sight for the opponent specially for the people that is assigned to guard him even player helping out is cautious when he makes his move for fear of getting hurt.

Dikembe was a few years out from retirement, and did shockingly well considering.

Shaq was struggling with foul trouble against SAS and had to have Kobe carry it against their bigs.

I hate that this is the primary point of contention, when LAL didn't have any real help against Curry, let alone Klay, let alone KD when it comes to man or off-ball defense outside of Kobe. Rick Fox? Please.

LAL's entire defensive strategy leans into what GSW does best. Shaq sagging into the paint. Two elite off-ball players, outside of an elite 3-level point of attack. That 2001 team got killed by point guards all year, and somehow it's "easy" with Curry? With two of the leagues elite shooters next to him in KD and Klay?

Nah.

Both teams even match evenly with team rebounding as a whole and KD shot 7% better TS than Shaq despite the same playoff scoring average altogether.

Like I said. It's like adding a prime Peja to the 2001 team, and only then it's even in talent.

That 2001 team had too long of a break and struggled to defend Iverson which led to a Game 1 loss. Well, imagine it's Iverson, with +8%FG, and that version of Iverson had a prime KD and Klay.

That 76er team had nothing else in terms of scoring. Certainly not the length or defensive talent of GSW outside of Mutombo.

Point being they have mutombo to deal with shaq, I don’t see GS having that. As far as Curry yes he is great, but u make it looks like we don’t have Kobe to try and contain him. As good as Klay and KD they don’t break you down like curry does else ball will stick not the way GS want to play. Kobe did very well against AI, yeah the AI is not as efficient but AI is also more like physical interaction unlike curry. Lakers team D is full of smart Defender that knows how to work angles and take pride on Defense. Still don’t know how you feel they can stop Shaq down low it’s all about GS 3 elite shooter. I trust coach Phil will figure it out.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Nah.

Point being they have mutombo to deal with shaq, I don’t see GS having that. As far as Curry yes he is great, but u make it looks like we don’t have Kobe to try and contain him. As good as Klay and KD they don’t break you down like curry does else ball will stick not the way GS want to play. Kobe did very well against AI, yeah the AI is not as efficient but AI is also more like physical interaction unlike curry. Lakers team D is full of smart Defender that knows how to work angles and take pride on Defense. Still don’t know how you feel they can stop Shaq down low it’s all about GS 3 elite shooter. I trust coach Phil will figure it out.

I don't think you're getting the real point here. People bring up how dominant Shaq was, the reality was Durant was just as dominant at a higher eFG while being a perimeter shooter. So constantly bringing up Shaq's dominance is irrelevant in the face of what Durant did. They would cancel each other out for the most part.

The other main point is that Shaq and Kobe could BOTH go off in a series against the 2017 Warriors, and it wouldn't be enough to beat them. Golden State doesn't need to shut down Shaq and Kobe in order to beat the 2001 Lakers.

THAT'S the scary thing.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I think we will be going around in circles arguing. I’m not debating the fire power is GS or the dominance of Durant and Curry, but GS offense runs best when you play small ball. In the playoff Durant, West and Zaza plays the C role. Most important players for GS imo is Green and Curry, they run there offense to perfection. As much as you feel the Lakers will have to adjust there game, I feel that strongly GS will have to adj theirs. Durant will get his no matter who guards him, fox playing D on him wont increase or decrease his stat. Kobe on Curry should knock down a couple of FG % slowing down GS offense a bit. Clay can feast on Fish, but I highly doubt he stat would be the difference maker, he does not create for himself it all in the flow of the offense. Green is the key guy, IMO he has been key to all there successes and I feel why he would get the money he is asking. He will somehow have to be there to guard Shaq, highly doubt Zaza, West or Durant can handle the diesel down low. That’s is the reason why who ever can get the other team to change the way they defend wins and I strongly feel LA win it, while you dont. GS preferred Lineup is Curry, KD, Klay, Green, Iggy while LA preferred lineup is Shaq, Kobe, Fish, Fox, Grant or Horry. Don’t see the Laker making changes to there preferred lineup more than GS will have to because of Shaq.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
I think we will be going around in circles arguing. I’m not debating the fire power is GS or the dominance of Durant and Curry, but GS offense runs best when you play small ball. In the playoff Durant, West and Zaza plays the C role. Most important players for GS imo is Green and Curry, they run there offense to perfection. As much as you feel the Lakers will have to adjust there game, I feel that strongly GS will have to adj theirs. Durant will get his no matter who guards him, fox playing D on him wont increase or decrease his stat. Kobe on Curry should knock down a couple of FG % slowing down GS offense a bit. Clay can feast on Fish, but I highly doubt he stat would be the difference maker, he does not create for himself it all in the flow of the offense. Green is the key guy, IMO he has been key to all there successes and I feel why he would get the money he is asking. He will somehow have to be there to guard Shaq, highly doubt Zaza, West or Durant can handle the diesel down low. That’s is the reason why who ever can get the other team to change the way they defend wins and I strongly feel LA win it, while you dont. GS preferred Lineup is Curry, KD, Klay, Green, Iggy while LA preferred lineup is Shaq, Kobe, Fish, Fox, Grant or Horry. Don’t see the Laker making changes to there preferred lineup more than GS will have to because of Shaq.

I think thats the thing, if the lakers can slow the pace down and have either zaza or West or one of their other big slow centers out there. They might get the Warriors offense to slow down. If the Warriors are able to single cover Shaq with Draymond when the Warriors go with Draymond/kd/iggy/Klay/Curry then they could beat us in 5.

But I doubt Draymond can single cover Shaq so they'd send double teams and Shaq was a very underrated passer. open looks for kobe/fish/fox/Horry isnt the worst scenario to keep the pace slow.

Lakers had capable defenders in Kobe/Fish/Lue/Fox/Horry/shaw. besides Kobe i dont think they were all world defenders but it wasnt their Weakness. KD would be the one who would be toughest to guard. Horry is too slow and Kobe too short. Fox would get cooked lol

Shaq is our major advantage and slowing it down is the only way.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject:

“The showtime lakers they would f**king dominate this era” – Kuz
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

https://lakersdaily.com/shaquille-oneal-wishes-he-could-play-against-buttercups-in-todays-nba-itll-be-a-slaughterhouse/
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
The GS 2017 as good as there offense is it can be slowed down.
Really?

Man, people are really looking at defensive PPG when the bottom line is point differential.

+12 points for an entire season was an outlier. Too many assumptions being made about Kobe continuing his fire play and Fisher staying hot behind the arc.

Meanwhile, Curry, Klay, and KD weren't even that outlier when they won huge over playoff teams.

Quote:
Off Rtg: 115.6 (1st of 30) Def Rtg: 104.0 (2nd of 30) Net Rtg: +11.6 (1st of 30)

That GSW team was like giving LAL a prime Peja and then steamrolling teams.

As dominant as Shaq was back then, Durant shot +8% higher TS and was an equivalent scorer throughout the entire playoffs.

"They could be stopped"

Yeah it basically took a 3rd All Star in their relative prime age with LBJ in GOAT mode and Kyrie matching him point for point in order to do it, and that was before Kevin Durant showed up.

That 2001 team didn't have that 3rd guy.
As good as GS stat is it’s does not determine the outcome when you play for real. If you are playing a video game GS will win, but Utah series just showed a big man in the middle not even as dominant as shaq played GS well even if they don’t have any HOF playing in there team. Too bad video game can’t account for intimidation, strength, toughness, roughness, a little dirty play, body ache and pain that comes in a heated playoff game. Yeah GS can shoot the lights out but that Laker team is a tough bunch of players top to bottom.
You're right. Stats don't determine the outcome. Talent does a lot of it. If you look at the rest of the roster outside of the Top 2, GSW has 1 franchise player. The Lakers don't.

That's how big the disparity is.
Are we talking about how the game is being played in which era???

How effective would the Warriors be playing during the Kobe/Shaq era that was more physical and where freedom of movement wasn't as free

How effective would the Lakers be during the Warriors era where Kobe and others would have complete freedom of movement

DFish, Horry and Harper were known as clutch players - like during the playoffs

KD vs Horry = KD would have to play D all the time while Horry would be able to limit his production.

Rick Fox vs Klay = Fox would play Klay "In-His-Face" D at all times
Klay gets his open shots via picks that the Lakers would effectively hedge forcing him to penetrate the key

Drummond/ZsaZsa = No Contest. Neither would be able to draw Shaq outside of the paint, hence seeking ways to have Shaq guard KD on offense.
Shaq would foul out any players trying to play him one-on-one

Phil vs Kerr = Advantage Phil because he would have the great ability to adjust.

Dubs have shown to be a great team

In a playoff series, the starters would be playing 35-40 MPG hence needing veterans that are able to be effective during limited minutes at critical times.

If we are playing this imaginary game with all players being completely healthy and full rested, IMHO - the Killer Spirit/Take No Prisoners Kobe and Shaq (dominate anybody/everybody) physical presence would wear out the Dubs in a 7 game series.

Noteworthy that the Dubs has never faced a team with a dominant 5 (knowing that this type of players doesn't in this era's of the NBA) while the Shaq/Kobe Lakers have faced many teams that have tried to draw Shaq out of the paint.

Dubs beat the Cavaliers in 2015 & 2017, that aren't even in the same universe as the Shaq/Kobe teams.
Could the Dubs beat the Scottie Pippen-led Trailblazer or Vlade/Webber/Peja Kings teams that pushed the Shaq/Kobe team to the brink

IMHO
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: