Official JEANIE BUSS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject:

“The word I should have used was ‘consistent,’” she wrote via text message. “He played 78 games last season.”
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Smush Parker played two consecutive 82 game seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject:

I wish the Buss family would sell the team. The way they do things is too old school in a bad way
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Jeanie Buss: Westbrook was our best player last year and most consistent

In an interview with The Athletic, Jeanie Buss called Russell Westbrook the Lakers' "best player" last season:

"All I can say is that, from my point of view, [Westbrook] was our best player last year. He played pretty much every single game, showed up, worked hard.”
https://twitter.com/LADEig/status/1564638580449878020

CBS Sports NBA
@CBSSportsNBA
Jeanie Buss calls Russell Westbrook Lakers' 'best player last year,' backs off claim: He was most 'consistent'
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/1564649675621294081

Thoughts?

I rock with Jeanie after saying this.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject:

Jeanie on the Crossover pod with Beck

https://omny.fm/shows/the-crossover-nba-show-with-chris-mannix-and-howar/sustaining-the-legacy-w-jeanie-buss

Here are a few comments outside the Hulu: Legacy plug that might have your ears percolate a bit.

Quote:
ClutchPoints
@ClutchPointsApp
"We have a line of communication between the two of us, and he knows that he can reach me anytime and vice versa. I think he feels appreciated... I want to see him retire as a Laker."

-Jeanie Buss on her relationship with LeBron James
(via @HowardBeck)

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1568227301648912385
(Vid in link)

Quote:
The Lakers Review
@TheLakersReview
“ … so I’d like to see that group come together with the addition of Pat Beverley, just to have an opportunity to show us what they can do.”

⁃ Jeanie Buss on Russell Westbrook, LeBron James, and Anthony Davis on the most recent episode of The Crossover podcast

J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“ … so I’d like to see that group come together with the addition of Pat Beverley, just to have an opportunity to show us what they can do.”

Translation: Let's just call that 3bet with 76 off suit and hope that we flop a straight.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Jeanie Buss: Westbrook was our best player last year and most consistent

In an interview with The Athletic, Jeanie Buss called Russell Westbrook the Lakers' "best player" last season:

"All I can say is that, from my point of view, [Westbrook] was our best player last year. He played pretty much every single game, showed up, worked hard.”
https://twitter.com/LADEig/status/1564638580449878020

CBS Sports NBA
@CBSSportsNBA
Jeanie Buss calls Russell Westbrook Lakers' 'best player last year,' backs off claim: He was most 'consistent'
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/1564649675621294081

Thoughts?

He was 'consistent.' Worked hard at padding his stats, consistently stood around on defense if there wasn't a rebound to set up for. Face it this team was consistently an easy out last year with a consistently poor defense. But that comes from consistent floor leadership where defense was someone else's job, grimacing takes a toll on facial muscles.

You're paying him $47M for his consistency Jeannie.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Waste of time trying to bash one of the team owners and principle spokes person...

I've had people in my some of my companies come at me the "wrong way", they don't last long. Find a new freakin job.

I don't like some of the stuff happening in Laker's FO, for sure. But am
I going to bash the freaking owners, except Jim, no. Jim was totally
worthless; LOL, he gets special treatment.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Waste of time trying to bash one of the team owners and principle spokes person...

I've had people in my some of my companies come at me the "wrong way", they don't last long. Find a new freakin job.

Could you give an example of an employee comin at you fowl with a W? What is the thin red line to cross w/ you? Just curious since you mentioned it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:

Then you are part of the problem by enabling poor management
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:

How do you react when your customers come at you the "wrong way"? That's what we are.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
deal wrote:

How do you react when your customers come at you the "wrong way"? That's what we are.

I'm really worried now, what if Jeannie fires me?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

She already fired me, don’t you remember I’m Jim?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject:

In regard to other owners

SUNS OWNER ROBERT SARVER SUSPENDED 1 YEAR, FINED $10 MILLION
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I miss Mitch. He did well under and with west, and did good work for years under Jim too. Understands scouting and while a conservative trader, usually got the best end of a deal and never really got taken like Pelinka. Sure he lost a bit of his fastball for a time (I give him a break because if the death of his daughter), but he was operating under the intense pressure to fail Jeanie was putting on Jim (who is no prize, but mostly didn’t make huge mistakes until the very end when he was desperate).

Frankly, I’d love to see Joey and Jesse in charge, and a real, respected GM like Mitch doing solid work. The current administration makes the worst parts of the last one look appealing by comparison. There’s no one who knows what they are doing with any power.

/rant
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Personally, I miss Mitch. He did well under and with west, and did good work for years under Jim too. Understands scouting and while a conservative trader, usually got the best end of a deal and never really got taken like Pelinka. Sure he lost a bit of his fastball for a time (I give him a break because if the death of his daughter), but he was operating under the intense pressure to fail Jeanie was putting on Jim (who is no prize, but mostly didn’t make huge mistakes until the very end when he was desperate).

Frankly, I’d love to see Joey and Jesse in charge, and a real, respected GM like Mitch doing solid work. The current administration makes the worst parts of the last one look appealing by comparison. There’s no one who knows what they are doing with any power.

/rant

Who doesn’t? He was behind the Gasol trade and almost got CP3 that would have thrusted us into another dynasty, I think Pelinka has until next summer which means he’s basically on the hot seat if this year’s team falls flat.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

/rant

Well said, on every point made.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

/rant

Well said, on every point made.

Yup
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

/rant

Mitch was a very good operator and did trades to help build roster continuity and depth. Rob has zero GM experience and it's showing. His transactional costs in trading always seem to leave the Lakers more depleted.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

I don’t miss Mitch, who hasn’t exactly been lighting the world on fire in Charlotte, and I certainly don’t miss Jim. I won’t miss Pelinka when he’s gone. The next leader of ops for us is likely going to be Kurt Rambis or someone who works under Rambis. The dream is to go pursue an elite executive, but that goes against Jeanie’s entire ethos.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:

LINK to Rich Eisen pod w/Jeanie

When Rich brought up the timing to Rob’s extension news, she confirms he was given one before the Ham hire & also confirms there’s a snitch in the Laker ranks that leaked that news. Funny enough, she mentions her nephew during the interview. RDAmbition still out here BREAKING NEWS haha
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
LINK to Rich Eisen pod w/Jeanie

When Rich brought up the timing to Rob’s extension news, she confirms he was given one before the Ham hire & also confirms there’s a snitch in the Laker ranks that leaked that news.

Gotta love the idea that a first time head coach who would have accepted the gig anyway needed Rob to have job security for the full 4 year tenure in order to feel he could do his job.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

I don’t miss Mitch at all. It appears I may be one of the only few people who remembers what he was like as a GM without Jerry West’s assistance (like getting gifted Pau Gasol). How he surrounded Kobe’s best years with garbage like Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Brian Cook, old ass Vlade Divac, etc.

Year after with the infamous Smush Parker, Kwame Brown (while trading one of the only good talents with potential Caron Butler who became an all star talent at his peak for him), old ass Jim Jackson and Aaron McKie? Puke Walton? One of the worst rosters I have ever seen constructed for any nba team, and it only somehow functioned as a 7th seed team because Kobe went god mode and Odom wasn’t a liability when he was healthy.

Only thing he did right during those years was draft Andrew Bynum. Which was a good pick except unfortunately, dude suffers freak injuries for two years straight to prevent him from reaching his potential.

Mitch was decent at a few things: Decent at drafting (Sasha V when he came into his own in 2008, although turned out to be a one year wonder. Andrew Bynum, Jordan Farmar I guess?), and slowly build a cohesive roster….although very slow at that.

I was gonna say Mitch was decent at trades, especially not giving up assets for nothing, but Mitch has a large history of doing that too, especially the infamous Nash trade. Either way, I don’t miss him. I do wish we had a gm like Sam Hinkie, OKC gm or even Danny Ainge as much as I hate his guts. Mitch hasn’t exactly been setting the world on fire with Charlotte either. He’s just not totally incompetent like the other previous Charlotte GMs.

The only one I miss is Jerry West. He should have been able to come back.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

She’s becoming more like James Dolan with each passing day.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject:

If anyone watched the Hulu documentary on the Lakers, it's really interesting to be reminded of the demise of the Lakers after Jim (and Mitch) took over the team.

First, in 2011, in the middle of a playoff run and the Lakers are going for a second Three-peat...Mitch and Jimmy decided that would be the right time to fire all the team assistants because Jackson said he would retire at the end of the season to get treatment for prostate cancer.

In the middle of the playoffs...Mitch hops on the team plane (which was unusual) and fires Jackson's staff! Jackson admitted that the firing led to an uneasy feeling with the team, Odom and Matt Barnes said it affected the cohesion, enthusiasm, and focus needed for the playoffs. Terrible look for Jimmy, and sorry but that stain rubbed off on Mitch too because he was the one doing the firings.

They they decide to hire Mike Brown, which was a disaster who gets fired after starting the season 1-4. Kobe was calling end of game plays that were Phil Jackson plays that the new players didn't even know, which prompted Jimmy and Mitch to say, "Hey, Kobe is open to playing under Phil again? We've got to try to get him back." They asked Jeanie if he'd be open to it and she told them to reach out to him directly, that she didn't want to get in the middle of it.

So they reached out to him, he said he'd be open to it, but wanted 48 hours to think about it and give them his answer. Instead, they called him a day early to let him know they'd hired D'Antoni. As Jeannie correctly said in the documentary, the wise thing would have been to hire Phil, most of the players still knew his system and the team wouldn't be starting from scratch mid-season, and then do a proper coaching search over the remainder of the season (which Phil would have been fine with).

Instead, they brought in D'Antoni with his run and gun offense, which the team had to learn mid season, which I believe was the cause of Kobe blowing out his Achilles. All the stains of Jimmy are a stain on Mitch too because he was complicit every step of the way. I appreciate the good that Mitch did for the Lakers, but I don't miss him...those days are over.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 6 of 22
Jump to: