Is there a Utah trade that makes us a contender?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Is there a Utah trade that makes us a contender?

And is it worth two first round picks? Does the subtraction of Russ and addition of Bogs and Clarkson make us top 5 in the west?
dj1337
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject:

if we get Conley aswell maybe.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject:

The Utah trade that makes us a contender already happened.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject:

I think Mike Conley is about to fall off a cliff into his decline. He was horrendous in the playoffs. He is about to be 35. 36 for next season which we would be adding to the cap. Lakers shouldn't be overpaying and adding a bad contract.

Yes it would be nice to get Bogdanovic. No I don't think he is this huge difference maker. Beasley and Clarkson are kinda overrated.

There is probably not a home run trade out there. You look at the Jerami Grant trade where Detroit got a Bucks 2025 pick. Which everyone knows is a meh pick in the Giannis era. Clippers got Powel and Covington last year for nothing. Now the Lakers have to overpay for the Jazz's scraps.

Waiting it out could be the right idea. Maybe the next Portland reveals themselves. Westbrook is an expiring contract. At the trade deadline you are paying him for less than half the season. A team may want Westbrook just as a way to clear cap space if they are having a bad season. Also after December 15th many players become trade eligible.

I rather wait then overpay now for a Jazz trade.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a Utah trade that makes us a contender?

LMAO no.

Anybody that says otherwise is living in another dimension.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject:

Even with the most optimal trades, they'll be decent offensively, but the problems will always be on defense, especially if AD isn't healthy. Clarkson provides that scoring punch off of the bench but it won't exactly put them as the favorites. As Pelinka has learned over the years, it's super hard to replace guys like Caruso or KCP. Even Kuz was decent on defense.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Waiting it out could be the right idea. Maybe the next Portland reveals themselves. Westbrook is an expiring contract. At the trade deadline you are paying him for less than half the season. A team may want Westbrook just as a way to clear cap space if they are having a bad season. Also after December 15th many players become trade eligible.

This is exactly what I want. Be patient.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
eureca wrote:

$60m Dame $, repeater tax but a very Lakers move lol
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
eureca wrote:

For the bolded to happen that team would have to deal several long term contracts since no one will likely be on the move that makes close to $47 mil. Would Jeanie buy off on increasing 2023 and potentially 2024 payroll? I’ve said before, the team who might value Westbrook’s ending contract the most could be the Lakers.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

I think it's obvious that there isn't. Other than sitting tight, the other thing they can do is see if they can give up just 1 FRP that purges Westbrook and addresses an area of need but won't put them over the top. Then save the other pick for another deal later on that might put them over the top.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject:

lol, we traded away Clarkson for nothing and now have to overpay to get him back.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

No there isn’t
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I think the ceiling is making it to Round 1 of the playoffs.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject:

No. At this point the best thing to do is send Russ home ala John Wall. We have Nunn/Pat Bev to fill his position. Wait til the trade deadline when someone will likely bite the bullet for half a season and a huge expiring.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Any combo of Utah players coming back makes us better than last year but still first round cannon fodder. Anything more than a lotto protected 1st is a garbage trade.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:32 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
No. At this point the best thing to do is send Russ home ala John Wall. We have Nunn/Pat Bev to fill his position. Wait til the trade deadline when someone will likely bite the bullet for half a season and a huge expiring.

While I do agree in John Wall'ing westbrook, I don't think the trade market gets better for us due to our team's goals and circumstances. Jeanie will not want to take on extra salary beyond next year, which are the kinds of players/contracts that teams will want to trade for westbrook at the deadline.

If Jeanie wants to improve the team, trade westbrook and keep the books clean, then it's going to require a multi-team deal with a FRP or 2 as bait. Westbrook makes too much to where I don't think there's a team out there with the right combination of expirings satisfying both the lakers needs while giving the other team incentive to take on his contract.

The lakers will also not want to waste a FRP if it doesn't improve the team to a championship level. This will be especially true if the team starts out sluggish or AD/LBJ miss significant time. Why would the lakers want to jeopardize assets or pay more lux tax for team that isn't a championship contender?

Russ expiring+2 FRP's half a decade later will not get you a star at the trade deadline. Other teams could offer more picks if one becomes available, especially if they on the cusp for post-season success.

The only star who could be available for such a package is Kyrie, and that's because teams don't want to deal with his craziness. If he shows more dependability along with last's years production, then teams will likely take a chance or the nets extend him. He would still be too talented to ignore completely at that point.

So even if more options become available for russ, the lakers may still not trade him depending on what the team looks like at the trade deadline.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Any combo of Utah players coming back makes us better than last year but still first round cannon fodder. Anything more than a lotto protected 1st is a garbage trade.

This.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
No there isn’t

Exactly. There is no reason to burn 1 or 2 FRP's to just dump RW. Lakers
will need to suck up the FO error for another season and then move
on....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:

And when Russ says no, I’m not going anywhere?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ksig wrote:

Send him to the bench. DNP-CD.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ksig wrote:

Send him to the bench. DNP-CD.

Might as well go total sh** show I guess.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

If he becomes a distraction on the bench or to the team overall, that justifies a suspension. Better than a total (bleep) show on the floor.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Make Pat Bev the starter and let Russ spot minutes for him.
Big Shot Bob
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I’d do Westbrook, 2025 first (top 3 protected) and two second rounders for Bojan, Clarkson and Beasley… leaves open the option of trading the other first rounder later in the year.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject:

the Utah trade that could've made the Lakers contenders was Gobert and Mitchell...

that ship has sailed..
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: