What has to happen this year for the Lakers to be a good team?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: What has to happen this year for the Lakers to be a good team?

Hi all,

Hope you day is going well. I think it is starting is going to be more apparent now that WB is going to be on the team. I wanted to start a thread listing things that have to happen for the Lakers to be a good team..I am not sure if the roster in any scenario can be champions, but there are some things I think below that could make them a good team. These are

1. AD & LBJ healthy and AD regains his "old form" and his 3 point shoot
AD's 3 point shoot has been lacking the last 2 seasons and I think that has contributed to his lack of effectiveness on the offensive. Maybe his offseason training with "Lethalshooter" will change that. LBJ is going to be LBJ, but I think the Lakers need AD to produce also.

2. Nunn must be healthy and have a "breakout" year. Nunn seems to be have good upside that perhaps as a new players hasn't been reached yet.

3. Austin Reeves needs to be an effective shooter. I think we know his defense is there IQ, but his 3 pointer needs to improve so spread the floor.

4. JTA needs to be an effective shooter also. I think the past shows he can defend, but if he can't shooter at least someone effective, it will crowd the lane.

5. Thomas Bryant must be able to be effective shooter also. He has done this in the past, but last year his shooting was down. Hopefully last year was an exception.

6. Beverely must continue to be a defense force and provide energy like on the Timberwolves.

That is all I can think of for now. Unfortunately, I don't see all these things happening so it likely will be another disappointing year. But I am just thinking about the possibility. I didn't mention anything about WB because I am not sure if he can change his game at this point. It might be better for him not to start and perhaps that is another thing that has to happen

Last edited by lar9149 on Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject:

The team has to buy into Darvin Ham's new system. If the players don't buy in, then it will be just like last year with Frank Vogel. The roster has enough talent to win, the players just need to buy in.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject:

AD

Last edited by governator on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:27 am; edited 3 times in total
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject:

1- everyone who shoots 3's on or roster has to shoot at least 38%
2- trade or sit Westbrook
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject:

For us to be anything better than a play-in team:

- both Bron and AD have to be somewhat healthy
- limit Russ' playing time, maybe spot some minutes for Pat Bev
- Darvin Ham has to be a decent to good head coach

None of this is enough for us to win the chip unfortunately, assuming all other contenders are healthy too.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

1. Healthy AD and Lebron.
2. Russ buying into Ham's vision (doberman without over-gambling on D, screening and solid corner 3-point shooting on O), at least when Lebron is on the floor. He can more like MVP Russ when Lebron is off the floor. Newfound versatility while still showing an ability to occasionally take over games will be the key to recouping his FA value too.
3. The rest of the team buying in. This is the most likely to happen with our youth, fresh-faced coach, and energy guys (Bev, Reaves, JTA, and Bryant). We also need reasonably good health from most of our players with key roles like Bev (energy, agitator), Bryant (stretch 5), Reaves (glue guy), and Nunn (microwave scorer).

Gravy on top:
* Brown emerging as a reliable 3/D option off the bench, maybe even closing under certain situations
* Walker also taking over Monk's microwave role. He's not nearly as good of a shooter though so not likely. Monk also had a knack for highlight-reel plays on D despite being a negative defender. Walker has that athleticism and hopefully more sound fundamentals on D after playing for Pop
* Wenyen emerging as a legit small-ball stretch 4/5 to complement AD or plug into run-and-gun lineups
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Brick off the team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Lebron and AD to play 130+ games, very little else matters.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I think this team at least has better defense than last years. The one issue I saw last year is there were defensive liabilities and a close game the other team would exploit over and over. It is also why I think last years team gave up big leads.

This should be less of an issue this year and hopefully that means LBJ and AD wouldn’t have to overexert themselves on offense which in turn wound maybe mean more healthy year for them.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Just be healthy.
Be healthy and a team even with Westbrook can play well.
If one of AD or Lebron are not 95%, then it's another season down the drain.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
I think this team at least has better defense than last years. The one issue I saw last year is there were defensive liabilities and a close game the other team would exploit over and over. It is also why I think last years team gave up big leads.

This should be less of an issue this year and hopefully that means LBJ and AD wouldn’t have to overexert themselves on offense which in turn wound maybe mean more healthy year for them.

It's because the only way to get any spacing last year was to put matadors like Melo, Ellington, or Monk out here. Otherwise we only had abysmal or streaky shooters to trot out. Baze and Ariza were my choices but struck out very early in the season. This why Bradley (undersized and underwhelming) and Reaves (luckily) ended up getting so much closing time. We still lack consistent shooting, but at least we have multiple players that won't be huge liabilities on either end. Admittedly, the overall quality of some of those players (namely Brown and JTA) leaves much to be desired or at least questioned.

We have good 2-way options to start when we couldn't say that last year. What we're still lacking is a legitimate closing lineup when teams tend to go smaller. Reaves, Bev, and Nunn are great options but you can't put the latter two together and maybe not even at all against certain teams. Can we rely on JTA and/or Brown to step up? Can Lonnie actually become a 2-way player? None of that is particularly encouraging.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully everyone realizes this team is not contending. They could be ok,
but doubtfully contenders.

Trade RW ? You get scrap. So it’s damned if you do and if you don’t.

Who backs up injury prone AD? Old LJ’s?

Where are those shooters? D is better without Melo & some length
but against the best out there? Hum…

Yeah, I’d love to be wrong; of course, but.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject:

Prayer and miracles

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject:

Notice most of the comments emphasize the offensive side. IMO it relies more on if this team will work on defense.

Lakers will only be as good as it’s Big Three stars. Davis needs to remain healthy and be a legitimate duel threat top 5 player. James needs to play more like the franchise player he is being paid to be on “ both” ends of the court instead of dominating the ball on offense and lackluster defensive efforts. Lakers need James to be the leader by example on the court not a marketing figurehead in a Laker jersey.

WB is in his own category. He either finds a way to fit in and has less boneheaded plays or he is traded for who knows what poo poo platter of players.

I actually like the combination of role players this season much more then last. But they are role players. In the end the success of the season hinges on the Big 3.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject:

Lebron/AD play 70 games each. Only miss 10 games max, consecutive. Keeps roster continuity and talent level. Vogel didn't have this last 2 seasons.

To trade for some 3/2 type of wings that allow AD/Bron to play more 5/4 and this especially helps Lebron late in his career as he's a far better 5/4 match up than he is a 3/2. You want Bron at the 4, and AD at the 5, with some quality 3/2 defenders around them and ofcourse there's Bev at the 1 who should give you some defense.

So basically:

AD/Bron 70 games played each.
Bev at the 1 makes an impact defensively.
Reaves+other players brought in make an impact as 3/2s defensively.

If all above happens, I can see us get 50 wins and a secure playoff spot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject:

DEFENSE.

A healthy season for AD and LeBron.

Respect for Ham, and Ham living up to his reputation.

An outside threat.

And, considering he is unlikely to ever change, as little Westbrook as possible unless it's garbage time.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Notice most of the comments emphasize the offensive side. IMO it relies more on if this team will work on defense.

Lakers will only be as good as it’s Big Three stars. Davis needs to remain healthy and be a legitimate duel threat top 5 player. James needs to play more like the franchise player he is being paid to be on “ both” ends of the court instead of dominating the ball on offense and lackluster defensive efforts. Lakers need James to be the leader by example on the court not a marketing figurehead in a Laker jersey.

WB is in his own category. He either finds a way to fit in and has less boneheaded plays or he is traded for who knows what poo poo platter of players.

I actually like the combination of role players this season much more then last. But they are role players. In the end the success of the season hinges on the Big 3.

That tends to get overlooked. Even when healthy last year, AD was mostly underwhelming.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

That tends to get overlooked. Even when healthy last year, AD was mostly underwhelming.

I am likely being a bit forgiving but I attribute that it on the bad team chemistry from the beginning. Frustrations were evident early when the defense and effort overall was poor.

Too much finger pointing and irritated body language as they lost leads or had big runs against them.

But I definitely agree Davis did not meet expectations most of the season. Shooting was off, lingering injuries and lack of consistent intensity all contributed. Lakers need him to play like a star to have any success.

Another counterpoint to the above comment that James needs to play more 4 or 5? Don’t see it. The man needs to play point SF. Focus on less mpg but with increased effort on “both” ends. Was disgusted by the number of times he never crossed half court or did not react on a defensive rotation. Can not be repeated.

Hopefully Ham can get the team to play a bit more of a team movement and passing game over a James iso game. Less drives, more post ups or set 3pt shots as he lets the younger players attack the basket with more frequency.
zagnut08
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

Stay healthy, it’s that simple. If that doesn’t happen, nothing else with matter.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject:

Honestly, play Russ... BUT every time he picks his ass on D because he's trying to steal rebounds to get his triple double... Bench his ass!

If he starts whining to the media about it... Ham should also tell the media why he benched him. A Russ triple double with a lost game is only a win in Russ's mind.

Try it again. If russ again slags on D to grab pointless rebounds... THEN threaten to send him home.

If Russ is more careful with the ball and his rebounding is about 5 a game, he's "getting it".

Last edited by oaktown_dimond on Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

I am likely being a bit forgiving but I attribute that it on the bad team chemistry from the beginning. Frustrations were evident early when the defense and effort overall was poor.

Too much finger pointing and irritated body language as they lost leads or had big runs against them.

But I definitely agree Davis did not meet expectations most of the season. Shooting was off, lingering injuries and lack of consistent intensity all contributed. Lakers need him to play like a star to have any success.

Another counterpoint to the above comment that James needs to play more 4 or 5? Don’t see it. The man needs to play point SF. Focus on less mpg but with increased effort on “both” ends. Was disgusted by the number of times he never crossed half court or did not react on a defensive rotation. Can not be repeated.

Hopefully Ham can get the team to play a bit more of a team movement and passing game over a James iso game. Less drives, more post ups or set 3pt shots as he lets the younger players attack the basket with more frequency.

Yeah I think advocating for more Lebron at 4 is a moot point as long as AD is not a center full-time, which is a reasonable strategy. Also, teams will simply go smaller/faster to negate any agility advantage he has over less mobile 4s. It's obvious though that it will be employed more in closing time. At that point you just need a versatile forward that can take on the tougher forward assignment, especially as the line between SF/PF is blurred these days during crunch time. JTA seems to be the one we're banking on for that. It's sad but at the same time will probably be more than we got from the busted version of Ariza last year.

Otherwise, we're better starting off with a size advantage especially with Bryant on board. That's how we wore teams down a few years ago. Let Bron work from the post and dare the other teams to put smaller guys on AD or Bryant, who are both solid on the offensive glass.

It will be interesting to see what a new voice will do for them and Lebron's effort. Two years ago they were complacent after winning the ring but also probably burnt out after so much time spend in the bubble as well as a short layoff. Last year they over-committed to Russ and allowed themselves to believe they could coast during the regular season, reminding themselves that they had a 2-1 lead over the Suns.

And despite all that, I still think they'll either need a deal to fall in their laps or for Russ to not be Russ to avoid the play in.

Last edited by gng930 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

new owners
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Stay healthy, somehow pick up another asset or two, buy in to Ham's coaching and as always..... DEFENSE is the key.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject:

Firstly, a healthy LeBron and AD are the most important contribution to this team having any legitimate playoff hopes.

Secondly, chemistry will be the next most important key to success for this Lakers team.

Although Russ has been a shell of himself, it's important to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day, the Miami Heat didn't win the first season they had LeBron, Wade and Bosh and it could be due in part to chemistry issues. The core of that team were similar to our big three in LBJ, AD and RW, however they were much younger and played at a different time in basketball. This could be a mistake on behalf of the Lakers FO, or it could mean that more time was needed in order to be successful, either way Chemistry will be huge!

Lastly from my POV, is that the Lakers need to make one more trade. Although I've mentioned Chemistry for this team, I don't feel that Russ is a part of that equation. We're too thin at key spots and lack experience and depth. The most impactful trade I believe the Lakers can make is with Indiana for Hield and Turner. It gives us depth, added scoring and defensive power.

I wouldn't consider more engagement with Utah as it would make this team much older and back in the same position as last year with an inability to compete against the much younger, skilled and more athletic teams in the NBA...

Right now I don't see this team as a Play-In team, however that could change, but it remains to be seen...
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject:

1. Russ gone for some genuine rotation pieces

2. Our big 2 to stay relatively healthy (AD can miss 10-15 games max, not half the damn season)

3. Chemistry to gel together relatively quickly (hopefully a couple of role player guys can surprise to help this to happen, such as Jones, TBJ or JTA)

That *should* help us get back to contention. Much, much easier said than done, though
#18 next...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: