Is there a Utah trade that makes us a contender?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject:

Not without a 3rd team.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject:

Malone and Stockton.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
eureca wrote:
Waiting it out could be the right idea. Maybe the next Portland reveals themselves. Westbrook is an expiring contract. At the trade deadline you are paying him for less than half the season. A team may want Westbrook just as a way to clear cap space if they are having a bad season. Also after December 15th many players become trade eligible.

I rather wait then overpay now for a Jazz trade.
This is exactly what I want. Be patient.
For the bolded to happen that team would have to deal several long term contracts since no one will likely be on the move that makes close to $47 mil. Would Jeanie buy off on increasing 2023 and potentially 2024 payroll? I’ve said before, the team who might value Westbrook’s ending contract the most could be the Lakers.
If people believe that you have to trade, you're in the worst position.

If the rumors are true that Westbrook will be attending Lebron's "unofficial" training camp, it can only bode well for all parties involved.

As Lakers have found out numerous times, having the "best talent" doesn't guarantee any success - it is the "best team." Lebron's leadership will be the key to the Lakers' success. If he can get Westbrook "buy-in" into working together with Lebron/AD/Ham, then the ceiling is high. Westbrook's should be motivated since the word is out that if he doesn't place the team first, he will be out of work very soon and/or at a salary that is a miniscule of his $47M (if he will accept that - nah)
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject:

I don't think the question matches the post. What defines a contender? The NBA isn't exactly full of world-beating teams right now. The two finals participants barely won 50 games each. The 5th place team in the west just blew up their roster. You're effectively asking by top 5 in the west if the Lakers can be as good as the Nuggets or T-Wolves. Of course they can be. Those aren't great teams. Fans seem to have been left shell-shocked by how badly the team underperformed last year. Regression to the mean is not guaranteed, but if everyone involved plays an average last five seasons performance and LeBron and Davis play 60+ games each, that should be good enough to push for top 5 in the west with no other changes.

On the other hand, I don't think there is any move available at all that makes the team anywhere near a real title hopeful right now. The only thing that does that is LeBron and AD staying fully healthy the entire season and both playing out of their minds, and even then I don't think they have a great team. It only leaves them as title hopefuls because no one else has a great team, either.

The team as constructed could win anywhere from 35 to 55 games without really surprising me, and I don't think swapping out role players on the periphery changes that.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject:

I truly don't believe so...
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject:

Bojan for Westbrook alone helps

If we can get a bit more depth from the deal without giving up the two unprotected picks I think we'll be in a decent position
#18 next...
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:

If we can get a bit more depth from the deal without giving up the two unprotected picks I think we'll be in a decent position

I don't really see how that helps. Bojan is probably best suited as a backup 4. Don't really see the minutes there for him.

There really is only one trade that moves the needle for us there and that probably relates to Indy.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

I don't really see how that helps. Bojan is probably best suited as a backup 4. Don't really see the minutes there for him.

There really is only one trade that moves the needle for us there and that probably relates to Indy.

Bojan is a backup 4 that can play minutes at the 3 - a position we are REALLY lacking in, currently. We are also lacking shooters, and pure scorers, of which Bojan can be both. Meanwhile, we have LeBron as a playmaker and PatBev and Nunn as psuedo-PG's on the roster - RWB can be covered

I agree the Indy trade moves the needle, but that's looking very, very unlikely, given what Pritchard wants
#18 next...
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
ahaider wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Bojan is a backup 4 that can play minutes at the 3 - a position we are REALLY lacking in, currently. We are also lacking shooters, and pure scorers, of which Bojan can be both. Meanwhile, we have LeBron as a playmaker and PatBev and Nunn as psuedo-PG's on the roster - RWB can be covered

I agree the Indy trade moves the needle, but that's looking very, very unlikely, given what Pritchard wants

I think that Bojan only makes sense as a spacer as a three. He's not guarding any wings at the level I think we both would like.

I hear you loud and clear on wanting a wing for the WB trade, I just think our opportunity window to get one that was high tier was last year. Wish we would have tried to package THT for covington.

I'm of the attitude to let Russ begin the season. Turner is getting moved this year and I think time works in our favor provided we're not a dumpster fire.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
the Utah trade that could've made the Lakers contenders was Gobert and Mitchell...

that ship has sailed..

PG: LeBron
SG: Spida
SF: Bogs
PF: AD
C: Gobert

This team would win 60+ games
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: