Would you trade both FRPs (unprotected) to Indy or Utah?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade both FRPs to Indy or Utah?
Yes to either team
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Yes to Indy only
21%
 21%  [ 17 ]
Yes to Utah only
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No to either team
65%
 65%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 79

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
governator wrote:
gng930 wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I feel that is quite pessimistic.

What about it?

I agree it's not that pessimistic. You put a relatively healthy Bron and AD on last year's squad and I'm not sure they get far above 0.500 either.

Healthy Bron and AD? Would’ve been best duo in league last year, maybe even this year

Russ is still an enormous negative. Depth, spacing, and defense were still major shortcomings outside LeBron/AD. And how healthy are we talking? 82 games healthy? I think we all agree that's impossible. 65-70 games healthy still leaves us rooting for a destitute team for 12-17 games.

And if you don't play Westbrook, there's at least 3 starters next to LBJ and AD. You still think that's a .500 team?

That's what doesn't make sense.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
governator wrote:
gng930 wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I feel that is quite pessimistic.

What about it?

I agree it's not that pessimistic. You put a relatively healthy Bron and AD on last year's squad and I'm not sure they get far above 0.500 either.

Healthy Bron and AD? Would’ve been best duo in league last year, maybe even this year

Russ is still an enormous negative. Depth, spacing, and defense were still major shortcomings outside LeBron/AD. And how healthy are we talking? 82 games healthy? I think we all agree that's impossible. 65-70 games healthy still leaves us rooting for a destitute team for 12-17 games.

And if you don't play Westbrook, there's at least 3 starters next to LBJ and AD. You still think that's a .500 team?

That's what doesn't make sense.

If we flip Westbrook for Bojan, Conley, and Gay, or something similar, then I think the addition by subtraction by getting rid of Westbrook (plus, in this particular case, the additional spacing) would vault a healthy - 65+ games played - LeBron/AD to a 48+ win season.

Or maybe a lot of these free agent flyers hit! I wouldn't be surprised. I like Bryant and Jones a lot. I think Brown has potential. Not to mention in-house development...I think Austin Reaves can have a big year.

But this isn't 2019-2020 where we clearly came into the season with depth and many known quantities, like KCP, Kuzma, Dwight, McGee, Green, etc.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But this isn't 2019-2020 where we clearly came into the season with depth and many known quantities, like KCP, Kuzma, Dwight, McGee, Green, etc.

I disagree about the idea of known. KCP? Sure. Kuzma? He was more inconsistent ever since Lonzo got traded. Dwight? No one was sure he would buy in until he did. McGee? Somewhat similar, in that you know he'd make an effort, but not actually be good. Danny Green? Proven, and that was a free agent pick up. Caruso? No one saw that.

I'm more optimistic about Reaves, Nunn, and Beverley tbh. So much so, that a Utah or Indy trade at least gives me an idea of a legit 2-way closing lineup.

I can't say the same of Westbrook.

What's crazy to me is, Reaves/Nunn is KCP here, Beverley is Danny Green at a different position, Toscano-Anderson is Caruso, Damian Jones is JaVale McGee. But if you add Hield/Turner or Bojan, Clarkson/Beasley/Gay/Vanderbilt, you've essentially built an 8 man playoff rotation similar to that 2020 team.

ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I disagree about the idea of known. KCP? Sure. Kuzma? He was more inconsistent ever since Lonzo got traded. Dwight? No one was sure he would buy in until he did. McGee? Somewhat similar, in that you know he'd make an effort, but not actually be good. Danny Green? Proven, and that was a free agent pick up. Caruso? No one saw that.

I'm more optimistic about Reaves, Nunn, and Beverley tbh. So much so, that a Utah or Indy trade at least gives me an idea of a legit 2-way closing lineup.

What's crazy to me is, Reaves/Nunn is KCP here, Beverley is Danny Green at a different position, Toscano-Anderson is Caruso, Damian Jones is JaVale McGee. But if you add Hield/Turner or Bojan, Clarkson/Beasley/Gay/Vanderbilt, you've essentially built an 8 man playoff rotation similar to that 2020 team.

1. I think you're conflating "known" with your perception of a threshold for performance standard. Was Kuzma an inconsistent and imperfect player? Yes, but he also started 70 games in 2018-2019 and was a 30+ MPG player. Troy Brown on the other hand? He was a 16 MPG player last year and was in and out of the rotation...Mind you, I'm optimistic about Troy Brown! Again, in regards to Dwight, were we sure he'd buy in? No, that's why he he signed a non-guaranteed contract. But there was a lot of optimism heading into that experiment because LeBron and AD spoke to Dwight ahead of the season and it appeared Dwight was hungry after a few years of malaise bouncing around the league. But was there any question about his talent and athleticism? No, he was even solid in Washington before the injury. We knew what he could do as a basketball player.

2. I don't refute the upside for Reaves, JTA, Jones, etc. I'm actually particularly high on Reaves. I want him to be a Laker for a LONG time. I rewind the DVR to watch him box out — this guy has the stance, uses his butt to knock dudes behind and over, and has the tenacity and will to grab rebounds that should NOT go to him (unlike Russ who chases cheap rebounds to pad his stats). Heck, Reaves even boxes out on the perimeter where a rebound is unlikely just to ensure his man doesn't sneak around him or luck out with a long bounce....Buuuuut, having gushed over Reaves, I still think the floor is much lower for this 2023 team than the 2020 team (Westbrook aside) because the bench is less proven. This does not mean the upside can't strike across the board (a la 2008 Bench Mob).
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject:

The more I think about it none of these trades are worth it and dont make our team any better. I think this is the team we have, accept it or dont but we are not as bad as people here think. We have actually become underrated at this point

So I voted NO
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject:

Is this a contender?

PatBev-Schroeder-Nunn
Buddy-Reaves-T.Brown
Bron-JTA-Max
AD-T.Bryant-Wenyen
Turner-Jones-Theis
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject:

With the additions of Dennis and Patty, I'm actually thinking I might go 2 firsts. Protected though.

If we could get the following:

Bogs
Vanderbilt
Hield
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

1. I think you're conflating "known" with your perception of a threshold for performance standard. Was Kuzma an inconsistent and imperfect player? Yes, but he also started 70 games in 2018-2019 and was a 30+ MPG player. Troy Brown on the other hand? He was a 16 MPG player last year and was in and out of the rotation...Mind you, I'm optimistic about Troy Brown! Again, in regards to Dwight, were we sure he'd buy in? No, that's why he he signed a non-guaranteed contract. But there was a lot of optimism heading into that experiment because LeBron and AD spoke to Dwight ahead of the season and it appeared Dwight was hungry after a few years of malaise bouncing around the league. But was there any question about his talent and athleticism? No, he was even solid in Washington before the injury. We knew what he could do as a basketball player.

2. I don't refute the upside for Reaves, JTA, Jones, etc. I'm actually particularly high on Reaves. I want him to be a Laker for a LONG time. I rewind the DVR to watch him box out — this guy has the stance, uses his butt to knock dudes behind and over, and has the tenacity and will to grab rebounds that should NOT go to him (unlike Russ who chases cheap rebounds to pad his stats). Heck, Reaves even boxes out on the perimeter where a rebound is unlikely just to ensure his man doesn't sneak around him or luck out with a long bounce....Buuuuut, having gushed over Reaves, I still think the floor is much lower for this 2023 team than the 2020 team (Westbrook aside) because the bench is less proven. This does not mean the upside can't strike across the board (a la 2008 Bench Mob).

We evaluate talent differently. But the idea of "known" didn't help in the Lakers situation back then either. That was my point. Was Dwight going to change himself? Was Kuzma going to be the 3rd option? Was Caruso really going to be THAT helpful? That stuff wasn't known, regardless of past performances, and people put WAY too much weight on past performance vs where the players are in their lives and how they developed.

That's also why fans tend to think of the past more fondly than the present players still going through it.

Frankly, you've got DS and Beverley. Those are the only "known" guys expected to produce a certain level. The rest? Unknown, like that '2020 team.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Is this a contender?

PatBev-Schroeder-Nunn
Buddy-Reaves-T.Brown
Bron-JTA-Max
AD-T.Bryant-Wenyen
Turner-Jones-Theis

More than the current team.

I'd even play bigger lineups:

LeBron
Reaves
JTA
AD
Turner

JTA at point of attack, Reaves chaser. Both guys can switch that. Still LeBron, AD, and Turner up front. That's a lot of interior defense to cover mistakes.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject:

The team is at least smart eough to understand that they have squandered almost all of their trade assets, and if they give up those two firsts, for anything other than a sloid shot at a ring, they are just asking for a painful post-lebron period, not only in the inevitable slide toward lottery status, but giving up half of those picks to someone else and not being able to trade the others until after they are made.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject:

The team is at least smart eough to understand that they have squandered almost all of their trade assets, and if they give up those two firsts, for anything other than a sloid shot at a ring, they are just asking for a painful post-lebron period, not only in the inevitable slide toward lottery status, but giving up half of those picks to someone else and not being able to trade the others until after they are made.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
But there was a lot of optimism heading into that experiment because LeBron and AD spoke to Dwight ahead of the season and it appeared Dwight was hungry after a few years of malaise bouncing around the league. But was there any question about his talent and athleticism? No, he was even solid in Washington before the injury. We knew what he could do as a basketball player.
Hmm - seems like I heard the same story last year with Westbook instead of Dwight - lol!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:

KCP was not a known quantity heading into that season. He wasn't a serious candidate to start and there's even one point where we wondered he might have faked an injury after blowing a wide open fast-break layup. His mojo was at an all time low but likely it recovered. Dwight too, thus the unguaranteed contract.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

U don’t think the Indy trade if it’s an option is a solid shot at a ring?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

Interesting trend to the poll. IIRC, it looked like it was going to be "no" by a landslide; it was at a >5:1 ratio at one point IIRC. It's not even 2:1 in favor of the "no" responses as it stands.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think you can have a decent regular season with that squad (top 4-5 seed) but that you'll get exposed in the playoffs. I'm not sure you can close consistently in the playoffs with Turner or Hield.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think you can have a decent regular season with that squad (top 4-5 seed) but that you'll get exposed in the playoffs. I'm not sure you can close consistently in the playoffs with Turner or Hield.

Better than Westbrook.

Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
gng930 wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Better than Westbrook.

Is it though?
Turner and Hield might be a better fit keyword being might but I don't think those two players are that much of an upgrade from Westbrook. I know his stock is at an all-time low but Hield's defense is even worse and twin towers are just a bad idea in today's game
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
gng930 wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Better than Westbrook.

Is it though?
Turner and Hield might be a better fit keyword being might but I don't think those two players are that much of an upgrade from Westbrook. I know his stock is at an all-time low but Hield's defense is even worse and twin towers are just a bad idea in today's game

Oh it's definitely better.

Hield's defense isn't worse. Westbrook defends like his controller is unplugged off-ball.

Twin towers being bad? I'd call that outdated, especially when 1 has perimeter defensive feet, both are top tier rim protectors, and both are capable of shooting from distance.

That gives room for guards/wings to attack the paint.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
gng930 wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Better than Westbrook.

The point isn't better than Westbrook, it's is it good enough to compete for a title that it is better than letting him expire and keeping the picks. Turner and Hield doesn't really wow me. At least not enough to mortgage the futre for a year of that.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
gng930 wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Better than Westbrook.

The point isn't better than Westbrook, it's is it good enough to compete for a title that it is better than letting him expire and keeping the picks. Turner and Hield doesn't really wow me. At least not enough to mortgage the futre for a year of that.

My question is, what future? Is a theorhetical capspace plan that can't fit a 3rd max contract worth waiting for Westbrook's contract to expire? I don't think so.

I just want LAL to maximize what they have now, especially when all of this is over a draft pick. If there was some special FA in 2023, then sure. But I don't see anyone talking about it.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:10 am    Post subject:

But Mike what if the pick ends up being a top 5 pick? That is mortgaging the future. From what I understand the protections on these picks are low. Unless the Lakers can protect them top 15, top 10, top 5 etc, but teams want 2 picks and that's hard to protect them like that (from what I understand, I could be wrong).

If the Lakers can top 10 protect the picks, then I can accept these kinds of terms. But if we're going to give up the future Garlands, Ingrams etc of the NBA, it better be for an Anthony Davis level talent.

To me it all depends on what protections there is on the picks and from what I've read up on it, the protections would be quite low.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

We evaluate talent differently. But the idea of "known" didn't help in the Lakers situation back then either. That was my point. Was Dwight going to change himself? Was Kuzma going to be the 3rd option? Was Caruso really going to be THAT helpful? That stuff wasn't known, regardless of past performances, and people put WAY too much weight on past performance vs where the players are in their lives and how they developed.

That's also why fans tend to think of the past more fondly than the present players still going through it.

Frankly, you've got DS and Beverley. Those are the only "known" guys expected to produce a certain level. The rest? Unknown, like that '2020 team.

We're arguing semantics here, which I don't want to do, so let me get super specific. In my view, heading into 2019-2020, we had more players with multiple years of experience as rotation players with fairly high minute totals.

I simply have more questions for:

- Thomas Bryant who has only played more than 30 games twice in five seasons and hasn't had a single healthy season since 2018-2019.
- Troy Brown Jr who has only played more than 16 MPG once in his four-year career.
- Damian Jones who has only played more than 40 games twice in his six-year career and has never played more than 18 MPG.
- JTA who only has 139 games of experience over three seasons in the NBA and had topped out at 20 MPG.
- Lonnie Walker IV who functionally didn't play as a rookie, but has since averaged 16, 25, and 23 MPG, and was widely criticized for his poor defense and decision-making.

Not to get too hung up on experience, but even if they weren't "knowns," KCP, Danny Green, Kuzma, and Dwight had game experience. Even Kuzma, who was only a third year player, had already logged two straight 70+ game seasons at 30+ MPG and 16-18 PPG.

FYI, I am actually high on all of our signings. I think there is a ton of upside. But it appears, correct me if I'm wrong, the Lakers are going to be asking these guys to do something that they haven't done before* (*if the Lakers are to be successful this season) — play 65+ games, play a lot of minutes (especially in games when they'll inevitably have to cover LeBron/AD for rest and injuries), and play effectively with what will be their largest responsibility and load to date.

Mike, I'm not saying it can't happen. There is always a turning point for young players and their development. This season could be that turning point for some or all of them! But the original question was, "what gets the Lakers to 48+ wins and a competitive playoff appearance?" And I stand by the idea that a reasonably healthy (65+ games) LeBron and AD alone gets the Lakers to, at least, a .500 or so record. But, for the Lakers to be more competitive, they will need one or two of those signings to pop.

Let's forget "known" for a second here. Let's presume these signings are as "known" as the Lakers supporting cast in 2019-2020. Still, a key difference between 2020 and 2023 is simply game experience and sustained play over a number of years. It doesn't mean 2023's cast won't/can't pop, but I'm a lot less comfortable with this cast given that we basically haven't seen any of these guys (except Walker to a degree) put in two straight season's worth of big minutes in an NBA rotation.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

Insanity definition: Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

4 Picks for top star= 1 ring; no additional ones are apparent.

1 pick + Green for player with limitations= disappointment; Schroeder not retained.

1 pick + KCP, Kuzma, Harrell for player with limitations= No playoffs. Westbrook’s future in limbo.

Current proposal: 2 picks for 2 or 3 non top stars=
Likely to end with what result? Will the players be appreciated once their deficiencies are exposed (Lakers fans are brutal)? Will they be retained?

We already watch players like Garland, Bane, who could be on this squad, with low salaries. There are sure to be others with special talent in the future who we couldn’t get because we opted for a temporary, quick fix. Now we want to do that 2 more times as it’s clear Lebron’s very best efforts to carry a team, especially defensively, are in the past.

As I’ve watched the constant unnecessary, extreme changes since the championship season that brought self inflicted heartache, my response to the question is ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
gng930 wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Better than Westbrook.

My question is, what future? Is a theorhetical capspace plan that can't fit a 3rd max contract worth waiting for Westbrook's contract to expire? I don't think so.

I just want LAL to maximize what they have now, especially when all of this is over a draft pick. If there was some special FA in 2023, then sure. But I don't see anyone talking about it.

I don't see a cap space plan for next year, other than maybe a couple guys for more than the MLE (and then the room MLE). That said, I don't see how trading Westbrook and the future picks is better than that if all you get back are bad contracts and mediocre players. So now you have an insufficiently improved team now, AND you lose half your (likely lottery) picks after LBJ leaves/declines, and you can't trade the others due to Stepien rule. You trade those picks for at the very least a very decent shot. Not an improvement of a few wins.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: