Hulu Lakers/Buss fam documentary (August)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
AD23 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dang.
Buss had a deal to trade Worthy for Aguire and Dantley?

Not Dantley ... Roy Tarpley. This is old news and well known.

Important point: this was also one of West's first "do it and I quit" demands that I think eventually lead to him not being rehired. There's a lot more than meets the eye even to this day about how the Busses felt about West. Jerry getting up there at the podium to clarify something Dr. Buss said, etc. I would think those two were minor issues. Proof is in the pudding as West is w/ the Clippers. We'll never hear Jeanie's real takes about why she said no, but just by the fact that she did portends to problems that she had with him. She was there during the 80s and talked to her dad. I think Dr. Buss trusted West, but as we know, West is a complex figure.

The talk about Buss being undermined by West’s “Clarification” was very telling. Jeanie really took it as a front to her Dad. Didn’t know even that situation cause some ill will.
Although West was right, you don’t want to show up your bosses. I’m guessing Doc Buss wanted to not come under fire for putting a coach without experience in the role of Head Coach. In a way, West blowing up the press conference helped deflect from that little detail.

The Hulu producer actually told me that she said Dr. B was pissed about that clarification. We're relying on Jeanie and Jeanie could just be saying he was miffed because she herself was miffed. Otoh, she might be 100 re: Dr. B being miffed, too. But I've never heard Dr. B discuss that thing ever again save for his interview they played the day after Westhead was fired (pregame interview snippet that they showed) Jeanie's reaction to it might be more to the point since Dr. B is gone. And I wouldn't doubt if there were other moments (plural) that Jeanie wasn't cool w/ re: West. There's gotta be somethin that prevented her from welcoming Logo back w/ open arms.

And the coaching setup Dr. B planned was weird and unique. And West wasn't gonna head coach again to save his life. I don't believe that an owner demands a coach and an offensive coach in pro hoops. That was some bungled effort to lure West back to the gig, imo. West put a stop to it and since it was so public, Dr. B was more or less painted into the corner of going with what West said. I don't think Dr. B ever wanted Paul as HC and I don't think he wanted Pat, either. Not until Pat settled in. I got a game or two from Nov 81 where West and Pat were both there. Weird lookin. And West just sat there and never got up to direct anything and kinda listened in on huddles, etc. So that co-coaching thing lasted only for a week or so because it was clearly unnecessary. And Magic also gave Riles a definitive public show of loyalty (which was carried out and accepted as real by onlookers over time). I doubt if Dr. Buss's most optimistic vision had Pat working out as well as he did as quick as he did. But he did. 82 champs. Everything hunky dory after until 90.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Episode 3 was pretty good.

Imagine being able to do that Cooke/Buss shady deal today
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
TDRock wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
They used a lot of my Westhead furor footage. A lot. They were stumped for that, the NBA had nuttin. Funny they wanted the same Pat/Chick clip that 30/30 used. It showed Pat saying that Dantley took (Purvis) Short to the laundry and Chick goes, "He took the shorts to the laundry?!" Pat says, "Haha. OK, Chick, I'll give you that one..." That came from a Chick retrospective in 1987 when he hit 2000 straight games at Utah. That's literally the ONLY footage I've ever seen of Pat in that role.

Only thing so far I've never seen was the snippet of McKinney's presser accepting the coaching gig. I don't know WHERE they got that from.

I'm in the credits, but they whiz by, haha. I am thanked along w/ Snoop, Dre, and Cube tho. It was a typical Cube, Dre, Snoop, NPZ collabo.

That's awesome, congrats!

I'm way more into documentaries than I am something like the HBO fiction thingme, so imma check this one out.

Give your hot takes on this series thus far? What if anything has piqued your interest so far?

I think the 2nd and 3rd epis were better than the first and that 3 was more interesting than 2. They swept all the way to 1989 in Ep 3, which I didn't expect, so the got 7 more epis to cover w/ everything else. Hopefully the Sedale years are given a decent chew. It's a "lost era" for anyone, but Gen X fans and older. Tbh, I enjoyed 91-93 quite a bit. I hope they will expose the screwjob in the final secs of regulation against PHX in Gm 5. Refs didn't want the Suns to get dumped by the 8th seed and the Lakers unfortunately were in a place to allow the refs to get cute. I've been annoyed about that ending for years. I remember Big Nasty Joe McDonnell going off on that a few times, too. One of the things I liked about him -- he took that up as a soapbox issue like I did.

NPZ, check your DMs, as they say, just messaged you.

I'm loving it, just finished episode four. I do wish they covered some of the titles a bit more. As someone said earlier in the thread they kind of almost rush through them. But the interviews are fantastic and they've given me new insights into stories I've known about but truly appreciate the new angles or interviews on. Riley is absolutely the star of the early interviews, I think. Extremely blunt and honest about what went right and how he eventually lost the team. And he also manages to always speak in great soundbites, often with epic verbiage. But Kareem's great, Magic of course, Byron's given some fantastic soundbites and as I said earlier in the thread I like the perspective from some of the Buss kids we haven't known as well the past few decades.

Also lots of great archival footage (thanks to NPZ and like-minded folks).

As much as I enjoy a lot the Buss stuff and seeing how the dynamics worked and how that will lead to issues decades later, especially after Jerry's passing, there are times I wish more was on the *Lakers* instead of the *Busses." For instance, 10 seconds on Jeanie's marriage to Timmons would have been plenty. It kind of showed the family drifting apart but...yeah, could have sliced that. Or even Jerry's desire to buy the Cowboys, which really went nowhere. Would have liked more actual Lakers stuff in the minutes that took up.

But overall really enjoying and excited to see how it goes from here now that the Showtime years have finished.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Recent episode was about Kobe - Shaq era and the first title with Phil as coach.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
<snip>

As much as I enjoy a lot the Buss stuff and seeing how the dynamics worked and how that will lead to issues decades later, especially after Jerry's passing, there are times I wish more was on the *Lakers* instead of the *Busses." For instance, 10 seconds on Jeanie's marriage to Timmons would have been plenty. It kind of showed the family drifting apart but...yeah, could have sliced that.

For good or for ill, since 1979, the story of the Lakers IS the Buss Family Saga.

The franchise won with Bill Sharman's guys (early Showtime), Jerry West's guys (late Showtime/3-Peat), Mitch Kupchak's guys (Kobe/Pau) and Pelinka's guys (LBJ/AD). The one constant has been ownership.

Even if you question their strategy & tactics, you have to give them credit for continuing to plod along until they get it right.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:48 am    Post subject:

Not sure if it was before, but the show's on Disney Plus now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: