People Around the League Skeptical - Where Do You Slot This Roster As Is?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: People Around the League Skeptical - Where Do You Slot This Roster As Is?

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport 'They Need a Time Machine': League Insiders Aren't Buying What Lakers Are Saying

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10047956-they-need-a-time-machine-league-insiders-arent-buying-what-lakers-are-saying

Are they incorrect? As constructed, are the Lakers a top-4 (HCA), 6 (Playoff), 8 (Play-In I), 10 (Play-In II) or 11-15 (Lottery) in the West?

Cheers,

EP
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: People Around the League Skeptical - Where Do You Slot This Roster As Is?

emplay wrote:
Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport 'They Need a Time Machine': League Insiders Aren't Buying What Lakers Are Saying

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10047956-they-need-a-time-machine-league-insiders-arent-buying-what-lakers-are-saying

Are they incorrect? As constructed, are the Lakers a top-4 (HCA), 6 (Playoff), 8 (Play-In I), 10 (Play-In II) or 11-15 (Lottery) in the West?

Cheers,

EP

Thanks for the article EP. We were inevitably going to struggle from the very moment we traded for Westbrook. Practically everyone knew that except, apparently, LeBron, Davis & the front office.

He's not a bad player. He's just a bad fit, which many predicted. With that said, my guestimate is 8 (Play-in I)
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

Given all the Laker propaganda, there is one critical voice that has not been heard being boastful: Rob Pelinka. My hope is that the recent positivity is just posturing and Rob realizes just how bad the current team is and is currently trying to get one, if not both of our needs: Shooting and Defense.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Latest @BleacherReport Who's Next in Utah Jazz Fire Sale? Insiders Dish on Conley, Clarkson, Bogdanovic https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10048234-whos-next-in-utah-jazz-fire-sale-insiders-dish-on-conley-clarkson-bogdanovic

Some context on what the Jazz may mean in a Westbrook deal. They may not have many suitors for some reason of their dudes
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Eric!
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject:

As is currently constructed, they are a lottery or a play in team. There just isn't enough shooting or wing defenders. They need a trade to balance the roster out and become a playoff team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject:

What scares me is if LBJ or AD need a night off.

We simply do not have proven PFs or SFs (which is why Bogs would be so ideal, who averages about 70 games per season the past 2 years) in that situation and it's pretty frightening, let alone the lack of big wing defenders and 3 point shooting in general.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

FYI

Latest @SportsBizClass Finding Landing Spots for Top NBA Free Agents Still Available https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10048504-finding-landing-spots-for-top-nba-free-agents-still-available
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Crazy how no one cares that Schroeder is on the market unless he has a promise from another team on a contract. not signing him is shocking, he’s been killin it in the eurobasket.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject:

4th/5th in the Western Conference.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Off-topic but my daughter put this out tonight - an original song

If you have the inkling - give it a watch, like, subscribe all that stuff
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Enjoyed the video
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Last season, many NBA pundits already had the Nets and Lakers playing in The Finals

This season, many NBA pundits already have the Lakers struggling to make the playoffs

That is why we play the games

Possible Keys
Will Westbrook "buy into" Ham's plan, if he actually wants to win a Ring. Reality is that he doesn't, his career is probably over

Will Lebron and AD reamin healthy for most of the games

Will Ham continuously preach accountability and will Lebron enforce accountability on the court from AD to Westbrook to the rest of the team

Will Ham be able to limit Lebron's MPG to no more than 30
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

If both AD and Lebron have 2019-20 level (MVP/top 5) seasons, yes.

65+ games each.
MVP level play.
AD's long ball shot goes back to 35%.
Lebron defends on a consistent basis, again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
If both AD and Lebron have 2019-20 level (MVP/top 5) seasons, yes.

65+ games each.
MVP level play.
AD's long ball shot goes back to 35%.
Lebron defends on a consistent basis, again.
What are the odds that Westbrook will be motivated to put his best foot (not "brick) this season because he faces the reality that
1) it might be his last season in the NBA;
2) face the reality that this could be his last real chance to get a ring;
3) people will remember his last season of playing like a ill-prepared rookie making careless mistakes;
4) last opportunity to show that he deserves a large contract;
5) he doesn't want to be player that can only get a small contract (his ego won't let him);
6) he isn't a player that can play on a team that is a serious contender or can play with other superstars;
7) that he doesn't have the athletic ability to dominate play while not having the NBA IQ to compensate;
8) he is not better than Lebron and AD
9) he will be held accountable where every possession counts and:
10) he is not a winner (though he will get into the HOF based exclusively on his stats)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject:

Imagine you are a team that takes about 40m off their salary cap. That's what we're doing with Russ. He's about a MMLE level player now but he's paid 47m. So the opportunity cost of not having 2-3 rotation players at that combined total is going to haunt the Lakers with our depleted big wing/PF depth.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
emplay wrote:

Enjoyed the video

thx!
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
emplay wrote:

Enjoyed the video

Same. Caught my attention when she Mariah'd near the end.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Sounds about right. We have many more reliable two-way role players this season, plus we're much younger.

We won't win the world championship as presently constituted, but i also have a sneaky feeling that we could pleasantly surprise some people and be better than expected.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Sounds about right. We have many more reliable two-way role players this season, plus we're much younger.

We won't win the world championship as presently constituted, but i also have a sneaky feeling that we could pleasantly surprise some people and be better than expected.

I appreciate the optimism. I would be pleasantly surprised to see the 15+ game improvement that had them competing for the 6th seed and not the play-in.

Despite the improvements to the roster, they still have some major flaws to overcome. Expecting the Big 3 to consistently play like the Big 3 every game may be the main one. I think they will be more competitive, but instead of historic losses they will still be outplayed by better and younger squads.

I will be watching and rooting for 98 wins. Up to them to prove it
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I appreciate the optimism. I would be pleasantly surprised to see the 15+ game improvement that had them competing for the 6th seed and not the play-in.

Despite the improvements to the roster, they still have some major flaws to overcome. Expecting the Big 3 to consistently play like the Big 3 every game may be the main one. I think they will be more competitive, but instead of historic losses they will still be outplayed by better and younger squads.

The only real flaw this team has is a lack of 3-and-D wings who have length. They need one who plays the 2/3 and one who comfortably plays the 4. That would also address the lack of 3-point shooting we have.

Will Austin Reaves be that first wing player? He has bulked up this summer, he just needs to become an above-average 3-point shooter.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject:

For me a new roster is difficult to predict.

I would guess somewhere between 10th seed and 4th seed
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

The only real flaw this team has is a lack of 3-and-D wings who have length. They need one who plays the 2/3 and one who comfortably plays the 4. That would also address the lack of 3-point shooting we have.

Will Austin Reaves be that first wing player? He has bulked up this summer, he just needs to become an above-average 3-point shooter.

I guess there is a difference of opinion on the importance of the “flaws”.

Sure, the lack of 3 and D is an issue. Maybe Reaves, Brown, Beverley or JTA can bulk up or play bigger and fill the role. Maybe not.

IMO the most important 3 and D player is James. He is the marquee starting SF they need to excel. Will he? Can he at his age? Is he willing to sacrifice mpg and scoring to commit to defense? We shall see.

IMO the biggest flaw is the chemistry of the overall team. At the moment I see too many conflicting pieces to the puzzle that have to find a way to play together to be competitive. We will see if they can.

Individually, I think the roster is improved and can be competitive for a playoff spot. Not top 4 / HCA competitive, but maybe they surprise us and earn a 5th or 6th seed to avoid the play-in. Just too many good teams still ahead of them IMO. I am not sure how Ham gets this makeshift new team to play together and with four quarter intensity for 82 games. From starters to the 15th man.

I am skeptical this roster can achieve this. Maybe they can. That is why they play the games.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
emplay wrote:

Enjoyed the video

Same. Caught my attention when she Mariah'd near the end.

Takes after my wife - thx!
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

I predict we'll see AD & LeBron playing 75% of our games and hopefully we win 75% of those. That puts us at 46 wins.

As for the 25% remaining games, I *hope* we can win half of those, i.e., go 500 or tread water. That ultimately puts us at 56 wins on the best case scenario.

Mid-case scenario I'll deduct 10% of those wins as when the lakers simply do not show up which puts us at 50 wins.

Low-case scenario I'll deduct 20% which pus us at 45 wins.

Last year standings:

1. 64 wins
2. 56 wins
3. 53 wins
4. 52 wins
5. 49 wins
6 48 wins
7. 46 wins
8. 36 wins

56 wins (best) puts us at the 2nd seed.

50 wins (mid) puts us at the 5th seed.

45 wins (low) puts us as a play-in as an 8th seed.

Mostly depends if AD/LeBron play at least 75% of their games and the lakers show up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: