Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 352, 353, 354 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Shaq has never had the highest BBQIQ.

The biggest irony of the Shaq statement is that if he were on that team he would be saying something to the extent of, "I'm not going to say it but you all know what the problem is."
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
defense wrote:
Shaq has never had the highest BBQIQ.

The biggest irony of the Shaq statement is that if he were on that team he would be saying something to the extent of, "I'm not going to say it but you all know what the problem is."

The funniest thing to me is how many people take the opinion of an ex-player just because he played ball before. Barkley, Shaq, and to a lesser extent, Kenny Smith have never come close to a worthy insightful opinion on baskeball for me.

I don't even view them for entertainment purposes because they mildly annoy me.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
from Shaq:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shaq-says-westbrook-showing-too-161536089.html

"He was just being too nice. I don’t know the relationship between him and LeBron, but if you put that down on paper and I don’t know nothing about basketball, that’s a hell of a backcourt, Russell Westbrook and LeBron James. Why it didn’t work, I don’t know, but watching him play, he was super passive. I don’t need you to be passive, I need you to play your game. I’ll be calling plays, when you get the ball after they miss a shot, run, if you ain’t got nothin, pull it out, give it to LeBron, and call some plays. That’s how it was me, he was just thinking too much. He’s a guy that, when he plays freely, he’s a monster.”

We started off the season that way. Vogel let Russ be Russ. It was a team wide thing to let Russ be Russ. Then Lebron sits out a few games, and comes back, sits out again. Russ has to keep shifting. He's very TO prone. The old legs don't defend, I don't think Shaq watched the Lakers season all that much. The Lakers tried very hard to let Russ be Russ early on in the season, and there were some glimpses. But ultimately in Laker land if you do stuff like Russ does (Those low IQ late game TOs) then you wll be called out for it. It's a different level of expecatation.

But back to the Shaq quote, that's relevant late in the season. Once things went to hell early, Vogel and co. began to give Lebron more of the ball and played smaller lineups. Those smaller lineups were for WB to take advantage too and increase spacing on offense. The real issue remained that WB wasn't very effective with the ball. His high TO game, which has a high error game, is only worthwhile if you run all the plays through him (so he can make up for it). This is why he tends to look fine as the only star, but when he has had to share the ball with Lebron or Harden, he has looked very bad.

Shaq has to think - if you're a coach. Option 1 is WB. Option 2 is Lebron. Why are you picking option 1 to create the plays? You have the greatest QB in NBA history (Aside from Magic) in Lebron. We won a ring with Lebron being the QB. How can any one choose Westbrook's high TO game to be the ball dominant player over Lebron? We actually legit tried early on in the season to have WB be the primary ball handler. Maybe not as much as he wanted, but we made a real effort of giving him the ball and spreading out. In the end, he just wasn't there. He started off the season slow (as he did in Washington). You just can't do that in LA. I don't think any of the big 3 really prepared or understood properly what it was going to take to win. And Vogel didn't have the FO's support, like Spo did with Riley. They were undermining him with Rambis etc. Easy to disrespect a coach you know will be gone or is not got the FO's support. If Riley were in Rambis role, you'd see a much better ending to last season (not in terms of the title, but how things would have played out).

Our biggest issue remains we have people in charge in powerful authorative positions that shouldn't be and wouldn't be in any other franchise, just because they're close with the owner. Our team is old, and has stars who would look good in 2017 playoffs not 2023 playoffs. The FO does not have competent enough minds making decisions on how to roster build and how to give a coach support (Our 3rd head coaching change in the Lebron era of 4 years).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject:

For me, Russ = Gary Payton when he was on the Lakers.

Two first ballot HOFers who were older when they joined the Lakers who had two established superstars.

Payton didn't like the Phil Jax Triangle system and it showed. He also seemed neutered a bit playing a lesser role behind Shaq/Kobe. Same here. Russ's shooting limitations and complete lack of attention on defense will likely earn him the ire of Ham once we start playing. Just like Fisher took over Payton's role eventually, I hope that Beverly does the same. Fisher was less talented than even an aging Payton but the clear better fit.

Unlike Payton, the Lakers didn't have to cough up so many assets and pay him 40% of the cap space. IIRC Payton was a MLE signing then. Payton didn't work out and he moved on and later accepted a role player mentality and won a ring with Miami. I see the same thing happening with Russ. Lakers will move on from him (right now they can't b/c no one wants his 47m contract and likely outsized expectations of himself).
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Russ isn’t going to change. He is most likely out of the league after this season.

Some guys just refuse.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
For me, Russ = Gary Payton when he was on the Lakers.

Two first ballot HOFers who were older when they joined the Lakers who had two established superstars.

Payton didn't like the Phil Jax Triangle system and it showed. He also seemed neutered a bit playing a lesser role behind Shaq/Kobe. Same here. Russ's shooting limitations and complete lack of attention on defense will likely earn him the ire of Ham once we start playing. Just like Fisher took over Payton's role eventually, I hope that Beverly does the same. Fisher was less talented than even an aging Payton but the clear better fit.

Unlike Payton, the Lakers didn't have to cough up so many assets and pay him 40% of the cap space. IIRC Payton was a MLE signing then. Payton didn't work out and he moved on and later accepted a role player mentality and won a ring with Miami. I see the same thing happening with Russ. Lakers will move on from him (right now they can't b/c no one wants his 47m contract and likely outsized expectations of himself).

In the 2004 Spurs series, Phil had to let Gary freelance and post up on the sidelines, etc. First time he ever had to let a player out of the triangle and probably the only time. Sh was tense because we were down 0-2 w/ Parker and Manu driving into the paint at will iirc. LG wanted someone to knock Toni and Manu down on their ass HAWRd! I was one of them, but I wanted them to do that on general principles.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Russ isn’t going to change. He is most likely out of the league after this season.

Some guys just refuse.

Without the albatross contract someone will likely take a shot.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Some guys just refuse.

Without the albatross contract someone will likely take a shot.

He wasn't this villianized right before he was traded to us from Washington, and I don't think he'll be this devalued after he leaves us. Look at what we gave up for him.

I'd easily take a shot at him if I'm a GM in that context. Heck, if he were allowed to be his reckless self here he could thrive....while messing up any chemistry we might hope to develop.

He's not a bad player. He can still play, and in the right role (without a ball dominant all time great) he can still thrive. I have no doubt
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject:

If I'm another team's GM, for this season, if I'm picking him up as a vet min signing, I'd be leery about his likely demands to be a starter. That will also be a major impediment to any contract bigger than a MMLE too next summer as few teams will want to deal with his insistence on being a focal piece of the offense.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject:

I still don't see a value that Westbrick could provide a team. He's a net negative to be used on the court due his non-existent defense. He's too dumb and selfish to be a mentor for anybody. Even for vet min, he doesn't serve any purpose.

He's not very visually appealing (no homo) so I don't see him being a broadcaster either. Maybe a podcaster?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

I don't think Russ is worthless. At 47m he is, but at the vet's min, some team will take a gamble.

I really wish Russ would embrace a 6th man role, b/c that IMO is the best way for this season to work out. I fear the same spacing issues with Russ/AD will plague our starters, and it's like seeing a train coming right at the team.

He is at his most comfortable point when he's allowed to completely monopolize the ball. With LBJ/AD, if he's starting, he will touch the ball less and sit at the corner and be expected to set screens and cut. (Basically everything Pat Bev does at a level so much better than Russ). If he was the bench lead guard, you can theoretically surround him with more finishers around him and let him play the non-LBJ minutes (and a sprinkling of some together). I'm hoping that the training camp will lead to this.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

Buckle up haha….

Quote:
Professional basketball player and fashion icon Russell Westbrook has listed his Los Angeles home for $29.995 million.

The Los Angeles Lakers guard bought the Brentwood property for $19.75 million in 2018, property records show.

Spokespeople for Mr. Westbrook declined to comment.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lakers-guard-russell-westbrook-asks-29-995-million-for-l-a-home-11663082171

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Buckle up haha….

Quote:
Professional basketball player and fashion icon Russell Westbrook has listed his Los Angeles home for $29.995 million.

The Los Angeles Lakers guard bought the Brentwood property for $19.75 million in 2018, property records show.

Spokespeople for Mr. Westbrook declined to comment.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lakers-guard-russell-westbrook-asks-29-995-million-for-l-a-home-11663082171

$10.2m profit in 4 years... way to go Russ
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

https://streamable.com/heeelx
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Most NBA players look like sharp shooters during their workout shooting drills... I've seen Ben Simmons go on a streak during his workout too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Most NBA players look like sharp shooters during their workout shooting drills... I've seen Ben Simmons go on a streak during his workout too.

Yeah, at some point I have to decide between troll and Dunning Kruger, and neither is particularly helpful.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

I'd prefer to see Russell practicing free throws instead of three pointers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Russ has to beat out Dennis and Bev? Good luck.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Russ has to beat out Dennis and Bev? Good luck.

I think DS is a hedge on Bev’s availability than a threat for starting. Bev & Nunn seem to be his competitors for starting.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
MagicMamba88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1571194301580713986
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

Russ at this stage of his career has to modify his game.
He has to learn to do other things besides attack the basket.

He should have learnt 3 years or more ago.

You would think he would learn to shoot and play defense after
all these years. At least to an average NBA level.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

I thi k hes got the phisicality to be a menace defensively if he buys into it. That and improve his spot up shooting and he can become effective without the ball easily

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
laker50 wrote:

I thi k hes got the phisicality to be a menace defensively if he buys into it. That and improve his spot up shooting and he can become effective without the ball easily

Along with effort and attention, his key flaws are poor footwork (not something you effort your way out of) and lack of ability to read and react to multiple actions by the offense (the result of film study that he says he doesn't do). He's also lost a step laterally, so it's tougher for him to stick to a quick ball handler.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Keep working on your pull up jumper, Russ.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Think they are preparing to buyout russ
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 352, 353, 354 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 353 of 426
Jump to: