Woman buried alive dies years later from pneumonia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Woman buried alive dies years later from pneumonia

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/woman-buried-alive-dies-years-later-from-pneumonia/ar-AA11S5HP

Quote:
Woman buried alive dies years later from pneumonia
Yesterday 10:17 AM

A woman who was strangled and buried alive by her partner died six years later from pneumonia caused by the attack, an inquest has heard.

Stacey Gwilliam was attacked by her fiance Keith Hughes at Langland Bay, Swansea, in July 2015.

She subsequently developed pneumonia and had been "self medicating".

There was "no evidence" she meant to kill herself, coroner Colin Phillips said, and gave a conclusion of accidental death for the 40-year-old.

Hughes, 39, tried to "snap her neck" and hid Ms Gwilliam in a grave under a bed of branches before fleeing.

But she managed to get herself out of the grave and spent three months in hospital learning how to walk and talk again.

Police arrested Hughes after he crashed Ms Gwilliam's car, but he told officers: "You'll never find her".

Hughes, also from Swansea, was convicted of attempted murder at Swansea Crown Court in December 2015 and ordered to serve a minimum of eight-and-a-half years in prison.

PC Tom Evans of South Wales Police told the hearing that Ms Gwilliam "suffered with severe depression and anxiety and also suffered from pneumonia due to being buried alive".

Ms Gwilliam died at home in her bed in November 2021 while suffering with a chest infection.

The inquest heard she called her GP the day before her death, and was told to take antibiotics, but was found dead after "self medicating" in an attempt to treat her infection.

She had started to order medication online - and toxicology reports found a number of sedative drugs in her system which were mostly prescribed.

A post-mortem examination by Dr John Williams found the cause of death to be bronchopneumonia with combined drug toxicity.

In a victim statement to the court during Hughes' trial for attempted murder, Ms Gwilliam said she believes Hughes took her to Langland Bay to kill her.

"The simple truth is what he told me that day: 'If I can't have you no-one can'," she said.

"He knew the relationship was over and knew I would not go back to him. He took me down there that day to kill me, and he nearly succeeded."

Sentencing Hughes, Judge Paul Thomas said: "You wanted to see the terror and pain in her face at the closest possible distance.

"Chillingly you tried to break her neck. You thought at that point you had succeeded in killing her."
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Query; If she died from pneumonia contracted from being buried alive can Hughes be charged with murder and tried?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Tangent, but this is one of those double bad luck stories I learned of just yesterday and the two events in the story are of the same ilk, even.

I saw a video about the worst nightclub fire in US history. Cocoanut Grove fire in Boston on 11/28/1942 (492 deaths). They had a club over there patterned after the Cocoanut Grove Club in LA that was featured in "The Aviator" (2004). It had all kinds of faux tropical decorations that were highly flammable -- a fake palm tree caught on fire by a busboy's match started it. There was a 21 yr old named Clifford Johnson who escaped but went back in to rescue his date. He survived with 55% of his body covered in 3rd degree burns, much of area burned thru to the bone. At that time, he was the first known person to survive burns of that magnitude, so his case had been known to medicine. In 42, they barely had sulfa drugs which halted bacteria growth in wounds and in the body, but I don't even know if he got any because in the war years, they were rationing everything for the boys overseas. He survived on basic care provided to him w/ extreme vigor by other members of the Greatest Gen, pretty much. The case made crash bars on exit doors and revolving doors with folding flaps mandatory in public American buildings.

After hundreds of surgeries, he went back to Missouri and delivered liquid fuel for a living. In 1956, his truck skidded off the road and he was trapped in the cab. Burned to death. That sucks. You done survived it the first time and all you could do was haul around fuel oil and then you get engulfed again. Pour one out for Clifford Johnson.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: