Would you trade both FRPs (unprotected) to Indy or Utah?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade both FRPs to Indy or Utah?
Yes to either team
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Yes to Indy only
21%
 21%  [ 17 ]
Yes to Utah only
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No to either team
65%
 65%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 79

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Lol what are the chances of those 2 picks turning the franchise into a championship team? It happens so rarely.

I would trade those picks for Hield and Turner, but it doesn't matter because I don't think Indiana would do it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Pretty crazy, but never seen a Lakers team (especially one with LBJ/AD) basically throw in the towel before the season has began. They are seeming to go hard with the "there's a 2023 free agent/cap space plan" angle now. Sigh.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Lol what are the chances of those 2 picks turning the franchise into a championship team? It happens so rarely.

I would trade those picks for Hield and Turner, but it doesn't matter because I don't think Indiana would do it.

That type of thinking helped us get Magic Johnson about 5 years after Gail Goodrich went to the Jazz at the end of his career. It also got us James Worthy a few years after Cleveland valued (whatever happened to?) Don Ford.
How will history remember the names of the guys Indiana or Utah are offering?

All draft picks aren’t franchise players, but it’s not uncommon for first round picks to become good support players. Those type of players helped Lebron and AD win their last ring.

They could be players who defend, rebound, shoot, run the offense, or any combination. I don’t like relying on the G league to produce end of the bench guys when you can scout and pick good quality before anyone else can get it.

Who cares about what happens in 2027, or 2029? People who like going to the playoffs and watching good basketball. Even AD won’t likely be a big contributor then.

Last edited by lakersboy on Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

What are the chances that we trade those picks for a player that turns the franchise into a championship team? We aren’t talking about creating a title contender, more like turning a 9 seed into a 5 seed. Is the future worth that?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

What are the chances that we trade those picks for a player that turns the franchise into a championship team? We aren’t talking about creating a title contender, more like turning a 9 seed into a 5 seed. Is the future worth that?

I think a team with these guys is very much a contender. The real question mark is health. We cannot control that, so control what we can, which is the roster composition.

Legramps
Davis
Hield
Turner
Beverly
Shooder
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

I think a team with these guys is very much a contender. The real question mark is health. We cannot control that, so control what we can, which is the roster composition.

Legramps
Davis
Hield
Turner
Beverly
Shooder

A healthy, somewhat home grown Warriors team with Wiseman in the middle would blow out that healthy L.A. squad.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Do you give up the 2 unprotected FRPs for this deal?

https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersSupply/status/1572321932485214209
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

The trade doesn't work. Suns have to send out Torrey Craig.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Some bad blood between Crowder and Lebron but I think I would do it. I have no idea why Phoenix would though.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Again, that’s not the calculation. The calculation is that if you’re in a hole because you traded most of your assets for a bad move, stop digging. We got AD using future firsts, because they have value. Don’t waste them on a move that doesn’t make you a contender when you’re going to need and want them later.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

Again, that’s not the calculation. The calculation is that if you’re in a hole because you traded most of your assets for a bad move, stop digging. We got AD using future firsts, because they have value. Don’t waste them on a move that doesn’t make you a contender when you’re going to need and want them later.

If you don’t believe having AD and Bron is a contender then don’t you gotta trade them? Since they extended, don’t you have to go for it?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Get the salaries to match.

No brainer. I hate Jae, just like I hate Beverley, but it's different when they're the enforcers for your team.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject:

You guys want LAL to tank the year, only for the Pelicans to get a pick swap for 2023, and then they would get the Lakers pick?

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

I agree with the hold assets for trades angle. I don't agree with holding assets when we have a chance at a championship. I think the disconnect is some don't think Hield and Turner makes us legitimate contenders, where I do. If I didn't think they made us contenders I would be 100% on board to hold on to the picks. We can trade for picks the same way we traded away picks.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I think the disconnect is some don't think Hield and Turner makes us legitimate contenders, where I do. If I didn't think they made us contenders I would be 100% on board to hold on to the picks. We can trade for picks the same way we traded away picks.

Agreed. Honestly, the biggest fall was letting go of Caruso, not trading Danny Green/KCP and acquiring Westbrook. People are expecting value out of another Westbrook trade to get back the role playing value of what KCP/Green brought to the team, plus what Caruso did.

That's simply not going to happen.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

The defense KCP, Caruso, Green + AD/Bron played together, that alone should have earned them a chance to show if they can repeat. The Lakers really shot themselves in the foot. They never gave those 5 guys a chance to repeat. AD's injuries further hurt that.

Even though Green was a declining player, it was wise to move him in that sense, you needed to move him for someone with some size who played a similar game to him. Instead we went with a far more tactical and technical change which changed a lot of the roles (and size of the team). Green could have been a mentor to THT and how to defensively play certain spots on the floor. We just didn't have a good vision for how to develop a roster that already won a title. Klutch hyped up THT, when THT needed to earn his stripes and minutes with taking some of Danny Green's minutes - defending 3s and 2s and trying to make some more 3 pointers.

This offseason shows that Rob's been the one influencing these smaller guards/PG driven moves. He seems to believe that Lebron needs more PGs/small guards, when history shows that Lebron plays best with SG/SF types who can play off Lebron. We just don't value players aside from the big names and stars with this FO. It's ridiculous.

No I don't want this FO to get 2 more picks to save their asses. Not unless it's a significant move that changes the potential of the team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The defense KCP, Caruso, Green + AD/Bron played together, that alone should have earned them a chance to show if they can repeat. The Lakers really shot themselves in the foot. They never gave those 5 guys a chance to repeat. AD's injuries further hurt that.

Even though Green was a declining player, it was wise to move him in that sense, you needed to move him for someone with some size who played a similar game to him. Instead we went with a far more tactical and technical change which changed a lot of the roles (and size of the team). Green could have been a mentor to THT and how to defensively play certain spots on the floor. We just didn't have a good vision for how to develop a roster that already won a title. Klutch hyped up THT, when THT needed to earn his stripes and minutes with taking some of Danny Green's minutes - defending 3s and 2s and trying to make some more 3 pointers.

This offseason shows that Rob's been the one influencing these smaller guards/PG driven moves. He seems to believe that Lebron needs more PGs/small guards, when history shows that Lebron plays best with SG/SF types who can play off Lebron. We just don't value players aside from the big names and stars with this FO. It's ridiculous.

No I don't want this FO to get 2 more picks to save their asses. Not unless it's a significant move that changes the potential of the team.

And what team is going to give you that?

I really don't want to watch Westbrook next season. But as you said, LAL shot themselves in the foot, and fans want to hang onto that 1st round pick, expecting the trade benefit of Caruso, KCP, and Green in return.

I highly doubt that's going to happen. Trading that pick is what LAL gets for poor decision-making. Sure, trade Green, but Westbrook? Even with the injuries to LBJ and AD, he couldn't even keep the team afloat, and lacked the leadership he was projected to bring onto the team.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

The way they've built the roster this year, I don't think they need to rely on WB all that much. Dennis and Bev both can easily take up 48 mins at the 1. There's Reaves, Walker, Christie, Nunn for the 2. Lebron/AD/JTA/Brown/Swider at the forward spots. Then Bryant/Gabriel/Jones at the 5 (with AD available for that spot too).

Honestly, doesn't seem like a roster that will be heavily on reliant on Westbrook. Last year his backups were far worse than him. This year they may argue that the backups (Bev/Dennis) can outplay him many nights unless he's a lot better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

If you don’t believe having AD and Bron is a contender then don’t you gotta trade them? Since they extended, don’t you have to go for it?

If you can live with the results. Looking at the names being thrown around, is a 4 or 5 seed worth having little to no future assets?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
You guys want LAL to tank the year, only for the Pelicans to get a pick swap for 2023, and then they would get the Lakers pick?

That decision was made 3 years ago, the team has already signed up for that.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The way they've built the roster this year, I don't think they need to rely on WB all that much. Dennis and Bev both can easily take up 48 mins at the 1. There's Reaves, Walker, Christie, Nunn for the 2. Lebron/AD/JTA/Brown/Swider at the forward spots. Then Bryant/Gabriel/Jones at the 5 (with AD available for that spot too).

Honestly, doesn't seem like a roster that will be heavily on reliant on Westbrook. Last year his backups were far worse than him. This year they may argue that the backups (Bev/Dennis) can outplay him many nights unless he's a lot better.

So Westbrook is deadweight, but don't want to add a 1st rounder to acquire players that aren't dead weight?

Still, doesn't make sense to me.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Even more reason to not give up on this year then.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

It's not about giving up on this year. It's not about tanking this year. It's about whether we can make a move that improves the team enough to justify the risk of digging the hole deeper.

It's not an obvious decision either way. I waffle on it. Part of me wants to see a more competitive team this year. The other part of me worries that we could be hamstrung for the rest of the decade.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Insane that there may have been a deal in place to add two great fits for this team that would give us a decided defensive advantage and being on a top flight shooter and we are electing to bring back that disaster.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

It's not about giving up on this year. It's not about tanking this year. It's about whether we can make a move that improves the team enough to justify the risk of digging the hole deeper.

It's not an obvious decision either way. I waffle on it. Part of me wants to see a more competitive team this year. The other part of me worries that we could be hamstrung for the rest of the decade.

You’re chasing ghosts. The deal makes sense as is completely reasonable in value. It’s not that hard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: