NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Zach Harper generously gives the Lakers a C- grade for the offseason:

I thought that was about right. We're frustrated because the Lakers couldn't pull off a better deal, but we're also staring at the reality that we had very little to work with. The Walker signing was uninspiring. Some of the vet mins were okay. I'm okay with Beverley, even if THT proceeds to develop with the Jazz or somewhere else. Schroder was a decent value signing, even if he seems redundant. We needed bigger wings, but I don't know that there was really anyone available who was a passable 3-and-D guy. Notwithstanding the inability to move Westbrook, I don't think it was a terrible offseason, despite our frustration.

Suppose that we had traded Westbrook and 2 FRPs for Hield and Turner. How would you grade the offseason? Some people would get excited by being rid of Westbrook and would give a much higher grade, like a B or even an A-. I'm not sure that I would. The cathartic effect of unloading Westbrook would fade once we saw that the team really isn't that much better, and the hangover from trading the FRPs would last for the rest of the decade.

Were there any better trade options out there? Probably not. I'd give it a C- mostly because we didn't address the critical issue of size on the wing. Even another Stanley Johnson level player would have been acceptable.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Zach Harper generously gives the Lakers a C- grade for the offseason:

I thought that was about right. We're frustrated because the Lakers couldn't pull off a better deal, but we're also staring at the reality that we had very little to work with. The Walker signing was uninspiring. Some of the vet mins were okay. I'm okay with Beverley, even if THT proceeds to develop with the Jazz or somewhere else. Schroder was a decent value signing, even if he seems redundant. We needed bigger wings, but I don't know that there was really anyone available who was a passable 3-and-D guy. Notwithstanding the inability to move Westbrook, I don't think it was a terrible offseason, despite our frustration.

Suppose that we had traded Westbrook and 2 FRPs for Hield and Turner. How would you grade the offseason? Some people would get excited by being rid of Westbrook and would give a much higher grade, like a B or even an A-. I'm not sure that I would. The cathartic effect of unloading Westbrook would fade once we saw that the team really isn't that much better, and the hangover from trading the FRPs would last for the rest of the decade.

Were there any better trade options out there? Probably not. I'd give it a C- mostly because we didn't address the critical issue of size on the wing. Even another Stanley Johnson level player would have been acceptable.

No…it’s very generous….this is a solid D. The center position is the only one u can say improved but that’s only if Bryant is healthy. Forwards are a big F. And guards are a C- only due to the late acquisitions of Bev and Dennis. Otherwise this would’ve been a solid D. They’re weaknesses coming to the season was 3 point shooting, athletic big forward and 3D wings. Failed on all 3. Center is the only position that is actually “wait and see.”
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Chris Mannix: Don’t be surprised if Frank Vogel is considered for the Celtics bench. Joe Mazzulla is expected to be elevated

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject:

Vasashi, if day we keeping the cap space next summer, how much can we absorb if we trade ‘23FRP+‘27FRP+’29FRP+Max+Reaves+D.Jones? I mean is there a max/near max player that we can get that way?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Vasashi, if day we keeping the cap space next summer, how much can we absorb if we trade ‘23FRP+‘27FRP+’29FRP+Max+Reaves+D.Jones? I mean is there a max/near max player that we can get that way?

I wonder if something like that would be enough to get SGA.

Seems like by next year, with Chet/Giddey/Dort/another top 3 pick, they may be looking to add to the group, not subtract.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject:

the important part of the Star List is a reality check for people arund here.

Lebron 6 and AD, at least 11, LOL.

The 2 of the top 5 narrative is a thing of the past.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

I think we improved in the following ways:

1. center rotation (TB/Jones v. cooked Jordan/Dwight)
2. PG rotation (last year we really had no choice but to play Russ. Now we have Bev/Dennis/Nunn as Russ insurance)
3. younger overall compared to our AARP roster last year.
4. new coach-fresh blood and energy.

Where we are still in big trouble:

1. overall 3 point shooting. Spacing was an issue last year and will be this year.
2. wing size. We inexplicably got smaller this year and are banking on a 6'1" Bev to check the team's best wing players, from Booker to KD/Doncic.
3. what to do with Russ?
4. new coach-we do not know what he is capable of yet.

I think C- is an appropriate grade.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject:

Imo we improved in terms of competing every night for a 48 minute NBA game. Unlike last season, we have the requisite roster to compete at the baseline. Basically a .500 team give or take a few wins/losses.

To “overachieve” and get to 50+ wins, we basically need either in season trade (challenging) or AD to really play like a top 5 player in the league the entire season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
Russ, Pick Swap, Second for Conley, Beasley, Vanderbilt.

Yes?

Utah is tanking, a pick swap does nothing for them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
And they won’t even get one FRP. you sure showed us, Danny

Bunch of mediocre teams never know what’s good for them…too much petty and spite to advance.

Pelinka is also an idiot for making THT for Beverly swap thinking Ainge was going to do him a favor in a larger deal.

They also don’t get $47.5 mil Westbrook. Funny that you think he would be good for them.
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Quote:
Sources say Jakob Poeltl and Josh Richardson are the two Spurs players most commonly involved in trade talk. While the Spurs have dropped their asking price for the utilization of their salary cap space, their asking price for Poeltl and Richardson remains high. For Richardson, the Spurs are requesting a first round pick. For Poeltl, the Spurs are asking for two first rounders.

Look at the spurs clowns

1st for Josh Richardson
2 1st for poetl

The "source" is probably Rob so when he trades Westbrook+unprotected 2027 everyone will think he killed Pop!
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject:

I do have a cap question:

Would Rob/Lakers throw in Nunn+Gab with Westbrook to get McDermott/Poeltl/Richardson?

If they did that deal it looks like the Lakers would actually drop UNDER the tax by $1.3M!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
And they won’t even get one FRP. you sure showed us, Danny

Bunch of mediocre teams never know what’s good for them…too much petty and spite to advance.

Pelinka is also an idiot for making THT for Beverly swap thinking Ainge was going to do him a favor in a larger deal.

They also don’t get $47.5 mil Westbrook. Funny that you think he would be good for them.

Funny how you assume (bleep) and don’t read, just write whatever you believe in your Clipper head.

I really don’t know why you even come here. I’m not the most rah rah guy, but you should be on clippersground.net and you can jump on pelicansground.net when the Clippers implode.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject:

Balto wrote:

Would Rob/Lakers throw in Nunn+Gab with Westbrook to get McDermott/Poeltl/Richardson?

If they did that deal it looks like the Lakers would actually drop UNDER the tax by $1.3M!

That’s such a lateral move and a waste of FRP(s).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Balto wrote:

If it was for no FRPs (bunch of 2nds), would do that in a heartbeat.

Poetl is actually an underrated center and at that price, a good deal. Getting under the luxury tax THIS season so we can do part 1 of 2 of resetting the repeater tax would also be a huge gain for the Lakers too.

But Spurs will want FRPs so F that.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Balto wrote:

If it was for no FRPs (bunch of 2nds), would do that in a heartbeat.

Poetl is actually an underrated center and at that price, a good deal. Getting under the luxury tax THIS season so we can do part 1 of 2 of resetting the repeater tax would also be a huge gain for the Lakers too.

But Spurs will want FRPs so F that.

But if we do get under tax, does this mean the tax clock reset and we can go over it next summer?
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject:

Russ, Christie, 2027 1st rounder, future 2nd

For

Hield and Myles

And a simultaneous trade of Wenyan and future 2nd rounders to New York for Reddish.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject:

A team is subject to the repeater tax if they are a luxury tax payer in 3 of the previous 4 seasons. So, just ducking the luxury tax for 1 year would buy them a short reprieve, but ducking it again in 2023 would really give the Lakers a lot of room in the future to spend into the luxury tax without being devastated by the repeater tax.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

That's a good way of looking at it. We've usually been thinking about free agents we could sign. The better question is who we could get via trade using our cap space and picks. V+ has said that we can clear a max of $36.8M in cap space (assuming that the cap goes up the full 10% and that we strip everyone except Lebron and Davis). So the question would be which players make that much or less in '24. I don't have a handy list of '24 salaries, but there might be one out there.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject:

Interesting video about Kai Sotto

His former agent is the reason why he isn't in the league. 7'2" (7'5" wingspan) would have been nice on a two-way contract.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Forwards are a big F.

I think JTA was a good signing, so I wouldn't give it an F.

Anyway, I'd only give the offseason an F if I thought we got worse. I don't think that. I don't think we improved as much as we would like (duh), but I do think that we got a little better.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/sammorril/status/1573041083700985858?s=46&t=TkxKMd3U8MlAQjD2-NvqUw

And the Lakers will still give him a max contract next summer
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/sammorril/status/1573041083700985858?s=46&t=TkxKMd3U8MlAQjD2-NvqUw

And the Lakers will still give him a max contract next summer

The double is we won't even have a full max of 46m to offer him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

That's a good way of looking at it. We've usually been thinking about free agents we could sign. The better question is who we could get via trade using our cap space and picks. V+ has said that we can clear a max of $36.8M in cap space (assuming that the cap goes up the full 10% and that we strip everyone except Lebron and Davis). So the question would be which players make that much or less in '24. I don't have a handy list of '24 salaries, but there might be one out there.

It's crazy b/c we would again, be reliant on minimum deals and a paltry room exception to fill the other 11-12 roster spots.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ESPNrank's top five:

5. Curry
4. Embiid
3. Doncic
2. Jokic
1. Giannis

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34643584/nbarank-2022-ranking-best-players-2022-23-5-1

I would go

Curry
Giannis
The rest
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next
Page 421 of 2546
Jump to: