Austin to be a Starter (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Thinking back to the first year of THT, Kuzma, even Clarkson years ago…it takes an exceptional player to overcome the sophomore slump and each of the three aforementioned looked more promising than Reeves.

Reeves is a fan favorite…overachieving underdog we root for because he outplayed his draft position and had some usefulness instead of being a complete non-factor…he has not yet even delivered in a consistent way to be a viable solid rotation player on a competitive team let alone a starter.

If Reeves starts it would most likely mean that concerns about Walker are true and that Nunn’s injury was more serious, keeping him from producing like he did in Miami. Reeves starting will most likely mean the team is worst than we thought…not that he suddenly improved by leaps and bounds
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Thinking back to the first year of THT, Kuzma, even Clarkson years ago…it takes an exceptional player to overcome the sophomore slump and each of the three aforementioned looked more promising than Reeves.

Reeves is a fan favorite…overachieving underdog we root for because he outplayed his draft position and had some usefulness instead of being a complete non-factor…he has not yet even delivered in a consistent way to be a viable solid rotation player on a competitive team let alone a starter.

If Reeves starts it would most likely mean that concerns about Walker are true and that Nunn’s injury was more serious, keeping him from producing like he did in Miami. Reeves starting will most likely mean the team is worst than we thought…not that he suddenly improved by leaps and bounds

I disagree that the prior three looked more promising than Reaves.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Not a good shooter, not an above average defender, he will fit right in.

Not above average defender come on sit you have watched the same games I have we know that’s not true

If you’re afraid of a sophomore slump with him because of his draft position I can understand that but there is nothing on the court that we have seen from him that says he can’t defend

He’s a good, average defender. He has a weak base and gets pushed around, strengthening the lower body will help a lot. But last season teams targeted him.

And he still won half the defensive battles when opponents put him on an island, despite that.

That's actually above average, especially for a rookie. Average defenders get continually torched.

Average is around the 50th percentile, which is where I put Reaves as a defender and you did as well. If he gets stronger and is able to hold position then he will definitely improve.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Not a good shooter, not an above average defender, he will fit right in.

Not above average defender come on sit you have watched the same games I have we know that’s not true

If you’re afraid of a sophomore slump with him because of his draft position I can understand that but there is nothing on the court that we have seen from him that says he can’t defend

He’s a good, average defender. He has a weak base and gets pushed around, strengthening the lower body will help a lot. But last season teams targeted him.

And he still won half the defensive battles when opponents put him on an island, despite that.

That's actually above average, especially for a rookie. Average defenders get continually torched.

Average is around the 50th percentile, which is where I put Reaves as a defender and you did as well. If he gets stronger and is able to hold position then he will definitely improve.

50th percentile gets continually torched. Slide the scale a little bit.

Elite defenders don't get stops 100% of the time. They get lit up by the leagues best 40% of the time still. So, no, 50% of "getting half the defensive stops" doesn't work.

By your scale, there are no elite defenders. There aren't even 80th percentile defenders.

Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Lakers gave double digit millions upgrade pay raise to both Clarkson and THT after their first year… Does anyone remember how we felt about Kuzma?

It’s your opinion, you may not have seen them as more promising but the front office and most everyone else did. Reeves looks promising in that we are rooting for him to improve 3pt shooting from his 31% last year, continue taking charges and a improve in strength bulking up to resist getting overpowered.

Reeves would have to improve to stay on the team, Clarkson, THT, and Kuzma regressed and still would have been better than Reeves. Now we need Reeves to not only avoid regression but make significant progress. He can’t shoot 31% from three, get over powered and think taking a few charges will keep him in the NBA.

Sorry to come across so negative man, don’t mean too…just based on past experiences of player progression I don’t want to have unrealistic expectations. I hope Reeves shocks me and any other doubter out there…becomes a starter because he becomes awesome.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Lakers gave double digit millions upgrade pay raise to both Clarkson and THT after their first year… Does anyone remember how we felt about Kuzma?

It’s your opinion, you may not have seen them as more promising but the front office and most everyone else did. Reeves looks promising in that we are rooting for him to improve 3pt shooting from his 31% last year, continue taking charges and a improve in strength bulking up to resist getting overpowered.

Reeves would have to improve to stay on the team, had Clarkson, THT, and Kuzma not regressed they would have been better than Reeves. Now we need Reeves to not only avoid regression but make significant progress. He can’t shoot 31% from three, get over powered and think taking a few charges will keep him in the NBA.

I disagree.

What Reaves can do is what the other 3 could not.

Run a team
Create plays for others
Defend
Play with motor

JC, THT, nor Kuzma were those guys. But I was one of the handful of guys that had Reaves as a 1st round pick in his draft. Other teams wanted to get him. His agent wanted him to slip all the way through and be a Laker. That happened.

That's why I think more highly of Reaves than JC, THT, and Kuzma.

Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Reeves would have to improve to stay on the team, had Clarkson, THT, and Kuzma not regressed they would have been better than Reeves. Now we need Reeves to not only avoid regression but make significant progress. He can’t shoot 31% from three, get over powered and think taking a few charges will keep him in the NBA.

I disagree.

What Reaves can do is what the other 3 could not.

Run a team
Create plays for others
Defend
Play with motor

JC, THT, nor Kuzma were those guys. But I was one of the handful of guys that had Reaves as a 1st round pick in his draft. Other teams wanted to get him. His agent wanted him to slip all the way through and be a Laker. That happened.

That's why I think more highly of Reaves than JC, THT, and Kuzma.

Clarkson ran the Lakers team so well he made NBA 1st team All Rookie as PG. It was a big deal then because he out played so many drafted ahead of him. Lakers offered him $12mil/yr after that. Now that doesn’t definitely mean he was more promising, but the NBA, the Lakers and I thought so.

Reeves may turn out to be better than all of them, I sure hope so. However, it wasn’t the thought at the time, there were such high hopes for them, they all regressed with sophomore slump…so that’s why I’m cautious with Reeves so that it doesn’t surprise me.

Go Reeves! Looking at his last game, 31pt triple double!!!! Rooting for him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject:

I hope Reaves gets a genuine shot at starting at the SG spot. I'm not a fan of the proposed and ludicrous Russ/Bev starting backcourt. I feel like Reaves is one of the casualties in the whole Russ situation. He should have a fair chance to earn that starting spot but politics will likely overrule that.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject:

I actually wouldn't mind him having a Manu role. I trust the kid's decision making with the ball. One of the problems is that Russ seems better suited for the bench. Which probably means less time for AR to be the main decision maker w/ the rock.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I hope Reaves gets a genuine shot at starting at the SG spot. I'm not a fan of the proposed and ludicrous Russ/Bev starting backcourt. I feel like Reaves is one of the casualties in the whole Russ situation. He should have a fair chance to earn that starting spot but politics will likely overrule that.

Yea me too! Wonder where the Russ Bev backcourt rumor came from?…sure hope it wasn’t Ham! I actually think Lonnie Walker and Reeves as well would be better for the team at SG. Of course both would have to make major improvements, Reeves - shooting and strength, Walker - return to his prior seasnon’s 41% 3t shooting and defense. I’m afraid of unrealistic expectations from Reeves tho regarding a sophomore slum. Hope he surprises me!
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I dont think he starts. We have what, 11 guards? But id like to see it happen

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Clarkson ran the Lakers team so well he made NBA 1st team All Rookie as PG. It was a big deal then because he out played so many drafted ahead of him. Lakers offered him $12mil/yr after that. Now that doesn’t definitely mean he was more promising, but the NBA, the Lakers and I thought so.

Clarkson could only run a 1-4 pick and roll. Did you notice that, he hasn't played point guard since?

Quote:
Reeves may turn out to be better than all of them, I sure hope so. However, it wasn’t the thought at the time, there were such high hopes for them, they all regressed with sophomore slump…so that’s why I’m cautious with Reeves so that it doesn’t surprise me.

I don't know what else to say to you. People overrate athleticism and underrate clear cut skill bases. JC wasn't hitting game winners his rookie year, nor getting defensive stops when he was repeatedly attacked defensively.

Reaves did all of that.

I'm not projecting him to be an All-Star, but a 2-way player on a high end playoff/championship team? Yeah.

waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject:

^^ Yeah, I would rather give a team a FRP in lieu of trading Reaves, unless we are getting an all-star back with at least 2 years on contract.

An example would be Kyrie re-upping and say Seth curry coming back, and we traded Westbrook and Reaves was somehow part of the deal. Not that this is happening or even likely. Although far more likely than your assorted star players, which teams are not looking to trade, and don't want Westbrook anyway.

Reaves is not a star, but I think he has the potential to be a high-level MLE player.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject:

Honestly wouldn’t be such a bad thing Reeves is a glue guy who defends and makes people around him better
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: