Official Tennis Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Was the Djokovic Nadal match a classic? Sets were not that close, but how was the level of play?

Level of play was bad. Djokovic kept getting broken. He found his rhythm a little bit but then got slaughtered again at the end.

It looked like he had control of the 4th set then Nadal took over and destroyed him at the end.

Djokovic looked rusty as hell due to not playing that much tennis lately.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Rafael Nadal reaches French Open final after Alexander Zverev retires with ankle injury

Rafael Nadal has advanced to the French Open final after Alexander Zverev fell during a point, injured his right ankle and stopped playing.

A little more than 3 hours into the match, Zverev was running to his right to chase a ball when he tumbled. His black outfit was covered in rust-colored clay and he immediately grabbed his lower right leg, screaming in pain.

A trainer came out to attend to him, and Nadal walked around the net to check on Zverev, too. Zverev was taken off the court in a wheelchair.

Several minutes later, he came back out using crutches and said he needed to retire from the match
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject:

Nadal the GOAT. Wasn't sure the one slam lead was enough after Djokovic's legendary year last year along with other factors, but two Slam lead (and beating Djokovic handily along the way) makes it clear to me. I don't think Djokovic will overcome the gap, but it's possible when all said and done. Sad still to hear the way Rafa talks about his physical pain indicating the end is near despite his dominance right now. Sounds like he might skip Wimbledon. I hope he definitely plays enough to go for number 1 for the year one more time. But going for the Slam would be great if he can get himself physically healthy for the attempt.
Iga is awesome, but Coco will be!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
focus wrote:
Was the Djokovic Nadal match a classic? Sets were not that close, but how was the level of play?

Level of play was bad. Djokovic kept getting broken. He found his rhythm a little bit but then got slaughtered again at the end.

It looked like he had control of the 4th set then Nadal took over and destroyed him at the end.

Djokovic looked rusty as hell due to not playing that much tennis lately.

Thanks. It's amazing how Rafa just steps up to every challenge, opponent and in himself.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Nadal the GOAT. Wasn't sure the one slam lead was enough after Djokovic's legendary year last year along with other factors, but two Slam lead (and beating Djokovic handily along the way) makes it clear to me. I don't think Djokovic will overcome the gap, but it's possible when all said and done. Sad still to hear the way Rafa talks about his physical pain indicating the end is near despite his dominance right now. Sounds like he might skip Wimbledon. I hope he definitely plays enough to go for number 1 for the year one more time. But going for the Slam would be great if he can get himself physically healthy for the attempt.
Iga is awesome, but Coco will be!

Rafa at the French open is something you can generally bet the house on. It’s amazing Djokovic has beaten him there twice. What Rafa is doing at his age and with his injuries is awesome. Nothing but respect.

I still give Djokovic the edge based on their H2H over the last decade, but both are clearly above Roger at this point. As a Djokovic fan, USO 20 and AO 22 (not to mention the cancelled Wimbledon 20) are always going to be the biggest what if’s.

We’re lucky as fans of the sport. We’re never going to see complete dominance over 20 years from 3 guys like this again our lifetimes.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
We’re lucky as fans of the sport. We’re never going to see complete dominance over 20 years from 3 guys like this again our lifetimes.

There’s never been any sport where the top 3 players of that sport competed at the same time.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Also Iga looks fantastic. Love her game. She’s looks like she’ll be on top of the WTA for a long time.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

There’s never been any sport where the top 3 players of that sport competed at the same time.

Yeah it’s crazy. When Pete retired, people thought his 14 was untouchable, and here we are 20 years later and Rafa has 14 French Opens alone.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject:

I think Alcaraz, and probably Medvedev, and perhaps Zverev if his injury recovery is not extended, may put up roadblocks to too many more slams from Djokovic or Nadal. With Nadal's injury, and all three of those guys getting better, plus others, it's just going to be a long road each time for the two GOAT-contenders. I would not be at all surprised if Alcaraz, Medvedev, or Zverev win the US Open, especially Alcaraz. Wimbledon seems like it could be sort of odd, could have a surprise winner (which to me includes Alcaraz or Medvedev winning it). Period of flux.
I wonder how Iga does on the grass. Don't see any reason why her multifaceted game with her great hands wouldn't do well there.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Yeah it’s crazy. When Pete retired, people thought his 14 was untouchable, and here we are 20 years later and Rafa has 14 French Opens alone.

Sampras couldn't even win one French Open, Rafa's got 14 of them....crazy.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject:

It's tough as hell to play clay-court tennis. (I hate it lol.) Many great, great major champions never won at the French Open. What Nadal is doing, in sports terms, is damn heroic; the man is truly a warrior. Literally had to have pain-numbing injections to take the pain away in his chronically-injured foot, and in the final it was basically like his foot was asleep. Imagine playing tennis at that high of a level where you can't feel your foot. He said he was hoping to try a procedure that might allow him to play at Wimbledon after all, but given that Nadal missed the second half of last year with the same foot injury, and given how he's openly talked of how he longs for a healthy foot and that he'd rather have lost this tournament just to have a healthy foot again, you have to think that the end is close to near for him. Perhaps not this season, but I'd be shocked if he's still on the Tour in 2024.

As far as the GOAT debate, I have to elevate Nadal ahead of Djokovic now that he's 2 majors ahead. That's how quickly things can change in my mind. Djokovic has certain edges, for sure, but for me the major count is most important. The H2H is now just 30-29 in favor of Novak, the finals are 16-13 in favor of Novak as well, but in majors, Rafa holds an 11-7 edge, including a 5-4 edge in major finals. On Nadal's preferred clay, he's 8-2 in majors against the Djoker, but on Novak's preferred hard courts, he's only 3-2 in majors at the AO and US Open, although if you add in Wimbledon that mark runs to 5-3. Masters titles are also close, 38 to 36 in favor of Djokovic. The biggest and most obvious edge that Novak has is weeks at #1, which isn't close; 373 to 209. However, it's my belief that, by far, the biggest accomplishment is winning titles, and, more specifically, winning major titles. Two majors up, I think that overtakes Djokovic's other edges, especially weeks at #1.

If Djokovic wins Wimbledon to get back to within 1 major of the lead, I may change my mind again LOL. That's how close these dudes are. As I've mentioned before, Federer is now a clear third for me.

Iga hasn't been as good on grass in her career, never making it past the 4th Round at Wimbledon. However, perhaps she is due for a breakthrough. She hadn't made it past the 4th Round at the AO before this year, and she got to the semifinals. With Barty out of the way and with the Williamses seemingly put out to pasture, maybe she can make a run there too, although my absolute gut feeling is that she's not as comfortable on the grass. She also hasn't made it past the 4th Round at the US Open, but I don't think she will have a problem with hard-court tennis as she moves forward.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It's tough as hell to play clay-court tennis. (I hate it lol.) Many great, great major champions never won at the French Open. What Nadal is doing, in sports terms, is damn heroic; the man is truly a warrior. Literally had to have pain-numbing injections to take the pain away in his chronically-injured foot, and in the final it was basically like his foot was asleep. Imagine playing tennis at that high of a level where you can't feel your foot. He said he was hoping to try a procedure that might allow him to play at Wimbledon after all, but given that Nadal missed the second half of last year with the same foot injury, and given how he's openly talked of how he longs for a healthy foot and that he'd rather have lost this tournament just to have a healthy foot again, you have to think that the end is close to near for him. Perhaps not this season, but I'd be shocked if he's still on the Tour in 2024.

As far as the GOAT debate, I have to elevate Nadal ahead of Djokovic now that he's 2 majors ahead. That's how quickly things can change in my mind. Djokovic has certain edges, for sure, but for me the major count is most important. The H2H is now just 30-29 in favor of Novak, the finals are 16-13 in favor of Novak as well, but in majors, Rafa holds an 11-7 edge, including a 5-4 edge in major finals. On Nadal's preferred clay, he's 8-2 in majors against the Djoker, but on Novak's preferred hard courts, he's only 3-2 in majors at the AO and US Open, although if you add in Wimbledon that mark runs to 5-3. Masters titles are also close, 38 to 36 in favor of Djokovic. The biggest and most obvious edge that Novak has is weeks at #1, which isn't close; 373 to 209. However, it's my belief that, by far, the biggest accomplishment is winning titles, and, more specifically, winning major titles. Two majors up, I think that overtakes Djokovic's other edges, especially weeks at #1.

If Djokovic wins Wimbledon to get back to within 1 major of the lead, I may change my mind again LOL. That's how close these dudes are. As I've mentioned before, Federer is now a clear third for me.

Iga hasn't been as good on grass in her career, never making it past the 4th Round at Wimbledon. However, perhaps she is due for a breakthrough. She hadn't made it past the 4th Round at the AO before this year, and she got to the semifinals. With Barty out of the way and with the Williamses seemingly put out to pasture, maybe she can make a run there too, although my absolute gut feeling is that she's not as comfortable on the grass. She also hasn't made it past the 4th Round at the US Open, but I don't think she will have a problem with hard-court tennis as she moves forward.

The gist of what you said in the men's GOAT debate is pretty much my thoughts expressed earlier. With 1 Slam difference, still lean to Djokovic given other factors (his almost Slam last year, holding 4 consecutive Slams in earlier years, coming from war background in region with zero history of tennis or support of tennis, and mostly overcoming huge gap in relative support from fans, probably best mental player in history over Rafa), but 2 with all his other accomplishments? No, it's Rafa. With beating Djokovic convincingly along the way, Rafa. Plus Rafa's surprisingly superior results at the US Open on Djokovic preferred surface (I also sprinkle a little bit of that the Aussie is probably the easiest of the three to win, (and this is key) all things considered) Federer clear 3rd. (Btw, Federer has to get some credit as one of the best CLAY court players of all time, maybe top 5. Rafa, Borg, Djokovic, maybe somebody else and Federer. 5 finals during Rafa's time, and one win. Come on.)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject:

^
Oh yes, it's kind of easy to forget now, since Federer hasn't been in his prime for a long time now, but he was an exceptional, exceptional defender and mover when he was at his best.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Who else would be a favorite on grass? Halep? Serena's not there. Gotta give it to Iga. I looked at last year's set of later rounds. I'd give Iga the edge vs all of them right now, including Pliskova and her serve. Badosa's power game may do well, and Jabeur's got the variety and improvement, but no one is a powerhouse on grass with Barty gone. I hope for big stuff from Coco and her serve and athleticism. She could take flight. And Halep obviously knows how to play, and play well there. Hope she can get her body and mind right. If she wins a grass warmup tournament, maybe she's a favorite.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject:

Federer retired. Sad. My favorite player.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Federer retired. Sad. My favorite player.

Fererer's retirement statement

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject:

A sad day for our local Clippers fan.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject:

It is the end of an era. But also with Serena retiring, the beginning of the mini-era where alltimers retire. I think Nadal will be next maybe end of next year, Andy Murray probably, Djokovic thereafter I think maybe sooner than he thinks but maybe not before end of '24. I don't put Stan Wawrinka with these ones, but as another great, he might retire before Nadal. Monfils, others. I hope some of the women in their 30s keep going.

Anyway, what a genius he was, blessed with unique talent. Even when Nadal came around (loved Nadal breaking the hegemony), I was amazed Federer even lost to him back then.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I started out dismissing him because I was a Sampras guy. That feels really stupid now.

Fed is the GOAT and the most fun to watch, by far. I'll miss him.

I hope the USA can generate another male #1 some time soon.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I started out dismissing him because I was a Sampras guy. That feels really stupid now.

Do you enjoy the sport more if there's a USA male #1? I remember when the USA dominated tennis with Sampras, Courier, Chang, Agassi, etc. I've enjoyed this era with Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer more. I also really enjoyed the 80s with Lendl, Edberg, Becker, etc.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
C M B wrote:

Do you enjoy the sport more if there's a USA male #1? I remember when the USA dominated tennis with Sampras, Courier, Chang, Agassi, etc. I've enjoyed this era with Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer more. I also really enjoyed the 80s with Lendl, Edberg, Becker, etc.

I can't say I know what it's like. I became a Sampras homer 2 years before he retired without really following pro tennis. As a fan now, I would love to know what it feels like for the best player in the world to be a countryman.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
C M B wrote:

I can't say I know what it's like. I became a Sampras homer 2 years before he retired without really following pro tennis. As a fan now, I would love to know what it feels like for the best player in the world to be a countryman.

Gotcha.

Remember Andy Roddick? He reached no. 1 briefly

Quote:
Andrew Stephen Roddick (born 30 August 1982) is an American former world No. 1 tennis player. He is a major champion, having won the 2003 US Open. Roddick reached four other major finals (Wimbledon in 2004, 2005, and 2009, and the US Open in 2006), losing to rival Roger Federer each time.

Roddick was ranked in the year-end top 10 for nine consecutive years (2002–2010) and won five Masters titles in that period. He was also a crucial player in the U.S. Davis Cup team's successful run to the title in 2007.

As of September 2022, he is the most recent North American man to win a singles major (2003 US Open), the most recent to hold the world No. 1 ranking, and the most recent to claim the year-end world No. 1 ranking (which he achieved in 2003).
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject:

Fedal at the Laver Cup

1:00pm PST

say goodbye to the legend

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

and just like that...he's done.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
and just like that...he's done.

Nadal was so tight that he probably cost them the match. I didn't think he played that well. Oh well, it was cool to see Federer get the adulation that he deserved, one last time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 11 of 23
Jump to: