Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

Hoping that Ham does amazing with us. And that it isn't another Byron Scott situation. Which means 1) Promising to Change the Culture 2) Promising to Turn us into a defensive team full of dogs 3) Does neither 1 or 2.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Hoping that Ham does amazing with us. And that it isn't another Byron Scott situation. Which means 1) Promising to Change the Culture 2) Promising to Turn us into a defensive team full of dogs 3) Does neither 1 or 2.

Darvin was a physical, no nonsense player in his day. You won't find any player out-hustling or playing harder than Ham in his day. The main reason for his style was two-fold: (1) he was undrafted; he had to hustle just to get an NBA job. (2) he was a muscular dude; he knew he had to hang his hat on the defensive end or his stay in the league would be very brief.

I will guarantee that he's going to back his talk up; which, if I recall correctly, he did little of on the court, ironically. Darvin is the reason they went out and got Beverly. Beverly is an extension of Darvin's style of play. So is JTA, Reaves, and Nunn if he's healthy.

Remember, Nunn was undrafted too. These guys won't be taking nights off on the defensive end.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

Darvin should have a big impact on the culture. Ultimately if lebron and AD are coasting the rest of the team will too. So hopefully they have a sense of urgency from the beginning
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject:

It’s going to be Hard As a Mfer, but the #1 thing I’m looking for is if coach can have our defense go HAM on the league again.

hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject:

This guy sounds delusional with his Russ talk and it seems Pelinka might be buying in.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I would not be surprised to see one of two things happen. Either Ham allows Westbrook to play the way he always has or they will clash before midseason.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
This guy sounds delusional with his Russ talk and it seems Pelinka might be buying in.

You speak as if Russ has never been on a winning team. The man has been the best or second best player on winning teams. He’s a former MVP and just took a team to the playoffs the season before joining the Lakers.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I would not be surprised to see one of two things happen. Either Ham allows Westbrook to play the way he always has or they will clash before midseason.

If we’re losing and Russ isn’t doing his part he will be benched or sent home. Last season LJ and AD health was the problem. If they were healthy we wouldn’t have had to rely on Russ so much.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

He has made it clear defense is going to be key. Ham is obviously trying to get the best out of Russ. If there wasn’t a trade available that would make us clear contenders then the lakers and Ham are going what they have to.

I’d rather have Russ, than give up multiple firsts for garbage players that help us win a few more games.

It’s also beneficial to see what this roster has before the lakers start making blind moves. I didn’t want Russ on the roster, but If the right deal isn’t there you don’t do it. And if we did people would just jump on Pelinka.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

He has made it clear defense is going to be key. Ham is obviously trying to get the best out of Russ. If there wasn’t a trade available that would make us clear contenders then the lakers and Ham are going what they have to.

I’d rather have Russ, than give up multiple firsts for garbage players that help us win a few more games.

It’s also beneficial to see what this roster has before the lakers start making blind moves. I didn’t want Russ on the roster, but If the right deal isn’t there you don’t do it. And if we did people would just jump on Pelinka.

Agreed. The key is the health of Lebron and AD. Had we had that last season we would have made the playoffs. People want to place all of the blame
On Russ but last season had no playable bigs with AD out. You’re not winning games without that. I rather roll the ball out with our current roster vs trading two picks to Utah to be average
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Agreed. The key is the health of Lebron and AD. Had we had that last season we would have made the playoffs. People want to place all of the blame
On Russ but last season had no playable bigs with AD out. You’re not winning games without that. I rather roll the ball out with our current roster vs trading two picks to Utah to be average

Another thing is what it Thomas Bryant or another player turn out to be above average like monk last year. Wouldn’t we want some cal space to retain some chemistry? I think it’s a good idea to see what we have. Not saying we win a championship, but blindly throwing two first round picks and mortgaging our financial future would suck.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Darwin Ham mottos (from media day):

“Contain, Control, Contest.”

“Playing Fast, Physical, Free.”
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject:

Rooting for him but he'll probably accomplish nothing and be fired before the end of next season.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Darwin Ham mottos (from media day):

“Contain, Control, Contest.”

“Playing Fast, Physical, Free.”

"Defense, Hustle, Darvin, Ham."
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

You speak as if Russ has never been on a winning team. The man has been the best or second best player on winning teams. He’s a former MVP and just took a team to the playoffs the season before joining the Lakers.

If last year was any indication, it seems his best days are far behind him. Where was the best, or second best or MVP player last year? His salary sure justifies for his past accomplishments but certainly not his current production.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject:

Coaching staff announced (?). I thought they were already but…

https://twitter.com/jovanbuha/status/1574837422369607680?s=46&t=CQ1H_pbabl7EB9i67hPW-w (Press release at link)
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

If Ham treats players equally then Russ knows DS/Nunn will be outworking and outperforming him unless he gives it his best team effort

*I believe Ham won't let any player deter him from Team Goals and winning
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Kyle Goon:
Darvin Ham invited his former teammate Ben Wallace, 4-time Defensive Player of the Year, to observe practice. Who on the Lakers reminds him most of Ben? “Man, you ever watch Ben Wallace? I wouldn’t even try to hold anybody’s feet to that fire.”

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1753613/ via @hoopshype
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
If Ham treats players equally then Russ knows DS/Nunn will be outworking and outperforming him unless he gives it his best team effort

*I believe Ham won't let any player deter him from Team Goals and winning

When was the last coach we had that actually believed that notion? The only one I can say was probably Mike Dantoni. Ham is TBD on that one, and that's a lot to ask in a player's league.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ham’s qualifications cannot be overstated, but his inexperience can naturally be a worry considering the job’s difficulty. However, Ham has revealed he’s been seeking guidance from fellow NBA head coaches to make sure he’s best prepared for the journey he’s about to begin — with former Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder emerging as his biggest ally.

“Yeah, just to take things one day at a time,” Ham said during Tuesday’s practice. “I talk to Quin Snyder, he’s like my pro bono coaching consultant. So he calls and checks in with me a couple of times a week.

epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject:

I love that Ham talks with Quinn.
Lakers coaching staff 2012 baby!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject:

Clear now we view AD as a 4. And Lebron as a 3.

Rumoured starting lineup is Jones/AD/Lebron/Nunn/Westbrook.

Not sure if this is the best route with Westbrook. Doesn’t allow enough spacing imo. Gives him a lob threat, but also assured that every time WB or Bron attack the paint, opposing teams bigs go with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Clear now we view AD as a 4. And Lebron as a 3.

Rumoured starting lineup is Jones/AD/Lebron/Nunn/Westbrook.

Not sure if this is the best route with Westbrook. Doesn’t allow enough spacing imo. Gives him a lob threat, but also assured that every time WB or Bron attack the paint, opposing teams bigs go with them.

then lob it like we did McGee-Dwight, not gonna know which starting 5 gonna work til we see it anyway, glad to hear Nunn is healthy
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject:

That worked because Lebron played on ball as the PG and Green/KCP were quality 3nD wings who gave their all on man defense. Ran the floor well to fill in the wings.

We don’t have that set up, we seem we’re forcing a square peg into a round hole, but I could be wrong.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Kyle Goon: After we saw Damian Jones take a corner 3, @jovanbuha asked if Darvin Ham about his confidence in Jones’ range. He said he trusts Jones’ shooting so far. “If I have Robin Lopez making 3s, I’m sure I can make Damian Jones to make 3s.” Adds: “I love Robin. Miss you too, Brook.” – via Twitter kylegoon
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 59 of 277
Jump to: