KINGS -at- LAKERS - 10-3-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
one adjustment Ham made is less mindless switches, it was the biggest reason our Defense sucked so much, everyone took the easy way out and switch on every screen. AD was always in the perimeter with our small guards guarding their bigs. no more of that this season, i am pleased to see that.

Yeah, there was absolutely no switching. The bigs in this regard have make up their mind when they will make that late switch or challenge in that midrange area. The switching will also vary depending on the shooting out there. Additionally, I don't think we want switching for guys like Schroder or Nunn, regardless.

I'm curious to see what we actually do late in close games. That will often be your most switchy lineup defensively.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Maybe it's just me DB, but it seems our team has some sort of amnesia.

The hand Ham was dealt isn't ideal. I do think, he's got some of the right ideas to deal with it from an X's and O's standpoint. But, yes, there are some fundamental flaws and their execution will need to really shine to overcome that.

Last year's teams had some moments where you saw the right ideas offensively, but then you wouldn't see those plays with much frequency. Sometimes, ditching them for multiple games. So it never got anywhere. Last night, at least we saw a lot of repeated 4-1 action with multiple players in different spots. I don't know if a WB trade is inevitable, but floor spacing and two bigs obviously becomes less an issue with these same lineups. I saw more ways for WB to be effective, though. Can we get both LBJ and WB at the same time with those bigs? Will AD fade from the picture or will his perimeter shooting pick up enough? I'm not optimistic on either of those. I'm certainly more bullish on their D picking up quite a bit.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

Best play of the night; DB's write up...thanks !!!
MikeTrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Mostly watched the first half, but seemed like the interior defense was strong. I'm optimistic on that side of the ball
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Link

Pretty much a snapshot of how terrible the lakers played last season.

The fact we're seeing it again is concerning and the lakers won't make much noise if we continue to see this throughout the season.

Ham has his work cut out for him.

Ham will be in the same predicament that Vogel was in. Insert a defensive lineup he will realize they can't score, insert an offensive lineup they will get killed defensively. What can you do with a bad unbalanced team?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Maybe it's just me DB, but it seems our team has some sort of amnesia.

The hand Ham was dealt isn't ideal. I do think, he's got some of the right ideas to deal with it from an X's and O's standpoint. But, yes, there are some fundamental flaws and their execution will need to really shine to overcome that.

Last year's teams had some moments where you saw the right ideas offensively, but then you wouldn't see those plays with much frequency. Sometimes, ditching them for multiple games. So it never got anywhere. Last night, at least we saw a lot of repeated 4-1 action with multiple players in different spots. I don't know if a WB trade is inevitable, but floor spacing and two bigs obviously becomes less an issue with these same lineups. I saw more ways for WB to be effective, though. Can we get both LBJ and WB at the same time with those bigs? Will AD fade from the picture or will his perimeter shooting pick up enough? I'm not optimistic on either of those. I'm certainly more bullish on their D picking up quite a bit.

The 4-1 offense he's bringing in from Coach Bud is fine, I feel he is just using the wrong lineup to run it.

It was only the Kings, but at one point I saw sequences where AD had 3 players right near him during mid-range action. Teams will not fear Jones/Nunn/Westbrook hovering the perimeter in 4-1 action when Lebron/AD go to work. Heck, they probably prefer AD/Bron shooting 3s from outside.

That's the thing with the 4-1 offense, if you look at it. It's historically been with Bud in Atlanta and Mil, and you've had 1 main guy they built it around who wasn't a great shooter but was their main creator, and everyone around him is a quality shooter.

For example (if my memory serves me right here, DB) in Atlanta it was Korver, Bazemore/Carroll types around some bigs that can shoot 3s in Horford/Millsap. In fact all 5 guys they used to run it were threats from 3 and 3 ball was one of their main weapons. Their lineups were Teague/Baze/Korver/Millsap/Horford. A lot of balance there.

I find our lineups don't meet the needed balance to run these sets, but for sure I have no problem with the 4-1 action. It's been one of the best action in the league since Atlanta ran them in the 2013s. I'm just hoping that we eventually figure out we need more potent 3 point shooting and spacing. In the interim, I think starting a guy like Bryant or moving AD to the 5, and then giving AD/Bron/WB/Nunn an additional 3 point threat will go a long way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: