The Redeem Team (Netflix) documentary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: The Redeem Team (Netflix) documentary

Here is the trailer for the upcoming Netflix documentary on the 2008 Olympic Redeem Team.

Kobe is heavily featured in the trailer and it seems like he will (rightfully) get his dues and flowers for the key leadership role he played on that team and taking over in crunch-time during the Gold Medal game against Spain.

Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I would have loved for Kobe to be alive for the put together of this doc and give his official take on it, rather than them taking old footage of him talking about it. I would like to hear Kobe's context, not someone else's, or assuming what he meant.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject:

People forget that nobody wanted a part of Team USA after the debacle a few years prior.

Once Kobe announced that he was on board, EVERYONE jumped on board. Can't get it twisted, there would have been no Redeem Team without the Mamba.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
People forget that nobody wanted a part of Team USA after the debacle a few years prior.

Once Kobe announced that he was on board, EVERYONE jumped on board. Can't get it twisted, there would have been no Redeem Team without the Mamba.

And as the OP pointed out, they were probably going to lose to Spain until Kobe had to pull his cold blooded act. Stone cold killer in the clutch with zero fear, I feel blessed to have seen his entire professional career with all of you.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
I would have loved for Kobe to be alive for the put together of this doc and give his official take on it, rather than them taking old footage of him talking about it. I would like to hear Kobe's context, not someone else's, or assuming what he meant.

Agreed. But unfortunately this is what it will be like for any Kobe-related documentary moving forward. Won't keep me from watching it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

And as the OP pointed out, they were probably going to lose to Spain until Kobe had to pull his cold blooded act. Stone cold killer in the clutch with zero fear, I feel blessed to have seen his entire professional career with all of you.

1000000% agreed with both of you. I’ll be watching
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject:

There needs to be a series on Kobe, like there was for MJ. Obviously we can’t interview or get Kobe’s narrating, but just the amount of legendary stories you’d hear and if it’s done well, could be a great docuseries. Probably too early right now. But eventually would love to have that made for KB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Agreed. But unfortunately this is what it will be like for any Kobe-related documentary moving forward. Won't keep me from watching it.

Me too, unless it is some thing about Kobe's life. I don't think I will check that out. I will definitely check this doc out. I think it could be really good, I just think it would have been better if Kobe was alive, considering he was so instrumental towards the teams success. He's not though, and I understand that. I wonder why they waited so long to do the documentary? They say it takes a while some times for documentaries and film to develop, but I wonder how long this took.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject:

I won't name names, but there were 2 players on that team that wanted nothing to do with the clutch moments and kept passing the ball to Kobe every time they really needed a bucket.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
I wonder why they waited so long to do the documentary? They say it takes a while some times for documentaries and film to develop, but I wonder how long this took.

It all stems from The Last Dance, the Bulls documentary.

After Netflix had such a success with The Last Dance in 2020, they invested in a bunch of sports documentaries.

The Redeem Team doc is one a billion sports docs Netflix has coming out in the next year. They have docs coming up on Bill Russell, college basketball players seeking their last chance of glory, wheelchair basketball players, among other things.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I was watching the documentery Legacy on Hulu last night. Right on the money and what a great trip down memory lane. Great behind the scenes videos and photos too.
Man I feel old as that was sooooo long ago now.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1573732498743361542?s=46&t=Kf63rAMdVqDgK6KIjcwOnw
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1573732498743361542?s=46&t=Kf63rAMdVqDgK6KIjcwOnw

Great clip and makes me miss Kobe. Very few are like that in today's NBA.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject:

Kobe changed the culture of that team. It's highly unlikely they beat Spain without him. He was the MJ of that generation, and a joy to watch. Players will tell you the same thing.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject:

Just finished watching this on Netflix.

It was excellent. I highly recommend it to everyone on this board since it features Kobe heavily and is sort of like a love-letter to his greatness.
forzaCOREA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
I won't name names, but there were 2 players on that team that wanted nothing to do with the clutch moments and kept passing the ball to Kobe every time they really needed a bucket.

Bro shaddap with tryin to put others down.. Kobe was in his prime and the Alpha on that team, no sh!t they going to pass him the ball down the stretch. As a matter of fact that was probably the plan coach K wanted.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject:

forzaCOREA wrote:
kwase wrote:

Bro shaddap with tryin to put others down.. Kobe was in his prime and the Alpha on that team, no sh!t they going to pass him the ball down the stretch. As a matter of fact that was probably the plan coach K wanted.

Kobe and Wade really showed who were the real dogs on that 2008 team. in 2012, there was 0 questions as to who was the top dog....it was Lebron James
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject:

Still get emotional watching clips of Kobe.
I'll never get over his passing.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

Love how much Wade and LeBron, as producers, featured Kobe. That shot near the end of him kissing V, Natalia, and Gianna was amazingly touching.

But from an Olympic standard, it's obvious who the backbone of that team was. And it's no wonder why that LeBron, Melo, CP3, and D Wade generation (and onwards) has so much love and respect for KB. In many ways, LeBron seemed to play a big role in softening Kobe up which allowed the further evolution of 24.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject:

D-O-P-E
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject:

Seems like to a man from Colangelo to Coach K to the players, there is no question on the one player who changed their fortunes. It’s really is a ode to Kobe’s greatness as a leader..
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Mad props to Lebron and Wade on this doc… Really shows how much they value Kobe. Specially Lebron knowing he would take some criticism for putting that doc the way they did…

To think Lebron was only 23yrs old in that Redeem Team. Having Kobe and Wade on that team. Lebron’s role didn’t have to carry the scoring load. He was pretty much a swiss army knife. Wade was huge leading them with scoring. Kobe brought that veteran leadership that they were lacking in 2004 and 2006.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject:

love Kobe... Kobe never lost a game playing for his country.

have mixed feelings about the docu... anyways, funny seeing the media singing praises about Kobe... f them... they were haters...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

Really enjoyed the doc and def got emotional. I hope they make one for 2012 too but I doubt it as there isn’t as much of a dramatic story.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject:

After watching that, I have come to the conclusion that we will never see another one like Kobe again. Some could argue he was more competitive and fiery than Jordan. Why do you think they respected one another.
Both Jordan and Kobe were built different...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: