Parkland School Shooter Avoids the Death Penalty

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Parkland School Shooter Avoids the Death Penalty

Quote:
After a Florida jury recommended that Nikolas Cruz, 24, be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the Parkland school shooting, Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer set the sentencing date for Nov. 1.

The hearing will begin at 9 a.m. ET. Victims and family members are expected to speak before the sentence is delivered.

Under Florida law, Judge Scherer cannot depart from the jury’s recommendation of life.

Cruz was tried for months for the February 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where 17 people were killed, including 14 students and three school staff members. He had pleaded guilty.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/nikolas-cruz-sentencing-decision/index.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Parkland School Shooter Avoids the Death Penalty

Black20Ice wrote:
Quote:
After a Florida jury recommended that Nikolas Cruz, 24, be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the Parkland school shooting, Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer set the sentencing date for Nov. 1.

The hearing will begin at 9 a.m. ET. Victims and family members are expected to speak before the sentence is delivered.

Under Florida law, Judge Scherer cannot depart from the jury’s recommendation of life.

Cruz was tried for months for the February 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where 17 people were killed, including 14 students and three school staff members. He had pleaded guilty.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/nikolas-cruz-sentencing-decision/index.html

Your avatar is a thing of beauty. I'm an ol softy. It makes me mist.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Feel for the parents. I'm about 45/55 pro/against death penalty, respectively, but in this case, I wouldn't be the lone holdout. Many people like him die of naturals in prison after decades of appeals (think Night Stalker), so it's not a slam dunk, necessarily. However, I wouldn't begrudge the fams on this one over principle. He deserves it and if the families would prefer that, far be it from me to make them feel cheated. No way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Feel for the parents. I'm about 45/55 pro/against death penalty, respectively, but in this case, I wouldn't be the lone holdout. Many people like him die of naturals in prison after decades of appeals (think Night Stalker), so it's not a slam dunk, necessarily. However, I wouldn't begrudge the fams on this one over principle. He deserves it and if the families would prefer that, far be it from me to make them feel cheated. No way.

Who knows what's on the other side? I'll take a line from Samuel L. Jackson in A Time To Kill. I HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm against the death penalty, even in cases like this. Think of it this way: Cruz is 24 according to that article, so life in prison would mean as many as 50-60 years of anguish and punishment for him with no way out.

If he got the death penalty, he would only spend 10-20 years in prison before being murdered, ahem, I mean being executed. Would executing him really be different, morally speaking, than the S he did at Parkland High?
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Parkland School Shooter Avoids the Death Penalty

jodeke wrote:
Your avatar is a thing of beauty. I'm an ol softy. It makes me mist.

Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject:

Death is mercy. I say let him suffer by releasing him to the general population in prison and let them have their way with him.

The only downfall is we are paying for it with our tax dollars.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Death is mercy. I say let him suffer by releasing him to the general population in prison and let them have their way with him.

Executing someone costs more than life in prison.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject:

Anyone on the fence should at least watch what the parents said afterwards. They were all outraged to the core that this guy was the one who got someone's sympathy in the end despite how pre-planned and callous he was (the facts in the case are bad even for a mass shooting). There's a video with a number of them in a row at the podium. They got robbed again from what THEY considered justice. They deserve to feel the way they do. I think the person who did that lied about being able/willing to choose the death penalty because the mitigating circumstances were all met. I'm surprised only one of the victims' relatives hoped for the other inmates to take care of Cruz. Minimal chance of that, imo, at least unless a scenario like the one that happened to Dahmer (accidentally-purposely...). Going in general population would be an obvious problem for him. I don't think he'll wind up there. Or he won't be there for long before they put him in the PC section. The other ones in there aren't going to mess with him because they can't go back to general population either.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:

I was surprised to learn this.

Costs
Studies consistently find that the death penalty is more expensive than alternative punishments.

LINK

Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:

Didn't know this.

Cruz should be put in a straight jacket within a padded cell and fed involuntary through a tube to prevent him from trying to commit suicide and just suffer by wasting away like a rotted vegetable for decades.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:

Didn't know this.

Cruz should be put in a straight jacket within a padded cell and fed involuntary through a tube to prevent him from trying to commit suicide and just suffer by wasting away like a rotted vegetable for decades.

He isn’t and should be because a society has to be better than its criminals.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject:

Parkland sentencing: Victim's grandma tells gunman to 'burn in hell'

Quote:
Survivors and family members of the 17 students and staff killed in the Parkland high school massacre are addressing gunman Nikolas Cruz in victim impact statements in court before Cruz is formally sentenced to life in prison.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/parkland-nikolas-cruz/?id=91883130
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject:

Enjoyed watching the parents/loved ones tear into the defense and the worm. His team certainly did nothing to dispel the notion that attorneys are prone to being scumbags, but the ones on his team really did nothing to dispel the appearance that a few of them are sociopathic as well. No capacity for empathy beyond their job duties and the worm's right to counsel. Counsel has the right to be zealous in their defense, but they went beyond that with their antics and whining afterwards. The wretched B who stuck up a middle finger in their direction. Imagine the lack of self-awareness it takes for 2 of them to complain about the grievers "attacking THEIR children". Good jesus. There's defending your client, but sh like that is just unnecessary.

Unfort, the parents wishing for other inmates to kill Cruz? Again, if he ever seens general population at all, the stay will be short enough for the first attack and then they'll be forced to move him to a segregated unit where the other snitches won't touch him. And I doubt he even goes to general in the first place. They lucked out enough (for the time being) that it seems he's being remanded to a prison instead of a mental facility as a criminally insane prisoner. Unlike David Hinckley, there will be no furloughs and release.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: