LAKERS -at- NUGGETS - 10-26-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- NUGGETS - 10-26-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

0-4 Start... This was looking like a tough one on the schedule before the season, but the Nuggets have looked a bit sluggish to start the season. So, the Lakers had a more winnable game than you anticipated.

No Westbrook tonight as he rested the hammy. Reaves got the start in his place. Some awful ball by Kendrick Nunn in the first quarter (1-6 with 2 turnovers in 6 minutes), and the Lakers trailed 26-22 after the first quarter.

The Lakers were poised to make some headway attacking DeAndre Jordan as Jokic sat. Denver then switched up to a zone and the Lakers tried shooting over the top and fell back predictably. They would slip back by 10 points as Jokic returned.

But the team has shown some ability to put together runs. They would close the half strong as they executed a couple set plays for layups, got an open three to fall, and got out in transition behind good defense for scores. A 13-3 run had them tied up at the half.

Then the third quarter hit. LeBron looked winded with no bounce in his legs while AD looked hobbled with back issues, and the Nuggets pounced on their prey. The impact ballers on the Lakers lost their impact, and Denver pulled out to an 18-point lead.

The Lakers started the fourth with both LeBron and AD, and the team cut the lead to 7 points as Jokic rested, again.

Turnovers came back to bite them, however, (LBJ had 8) as the Nuggets turned those into transition buckets, and that was that. They fell 110-99.

LeBron -- -- A scoreless first quarter by LeBron, as he set up teammates and took just one shot at the buzzer. A bit turnover prone on the passes in the first half, but he still had several great setups, including a lob to AD on the double drag sequence and another in transition to tie the game before the half. More turnovers in the third quarter (including his second travel, and really should have been called for a third). He looked like he was struggling to find his second wind. It wasn’t a good stretch. Bron got out in transition to start the fourth and help trim the lead in half. He’d come up empty around the rim several times. Ham would pick up a tech off what looked like an obvious foul on a LeBron drive. The game would fall apart after that. LeBron’s legs didn’t really look there, either, this game. He was coming up short on fades. Whether it was the altitude or the age, his game didn’t have quite the pop we’ve seen this season. Some good passing, but the 8 turnovers seemed to just come out of nowhere. The Nuggets scored 35 points on the break and that killed us. The Stats: He scored 19 points on 8-21 shooting (2-8 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 9 assists, 1 steal, 8 turnovers and 1 foul in 35 minutes. He was a -7.

Davis -- -- The back issues inserted themselves early. He had 8 points in the first quarter, mostly being aggressive on the drive. But he had some early back pain after a dunk in that quarter. Later in the game, we had to call a timeout as he didn’t get down court after battling for an offensive board and coming up in pain. Unfortunately, we don’t have any depth behind him having already lost Bryant. The back seemed to impact him more defensively, sometimes on boards and sometimes just activity. He couldn’t get up and down the floor as quickly as needed and that led to some Nuggets transition opportunities or mismatches. On the plus side, a lot of good two-man work with LeBron and several lob finishes for AD. Some of the set plays they run look really good. The freelancing stuff, not so much. Hopefully, the back doesn’t become a bigger problem. He was a -22. Can’t have that from our other superstar as we need him to make things happen while LeBron rests. The Stats: He scored 22 points on 11-19 shooting (0-1 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 14 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks and 1 foul in 36 minutes. He was a -22.

Walker IV -- -- Strong first half with 11 points (5-9 shooting), 2 steals and a block. He was getting to the rim in transition and off a nice ATO for layups. His explosiveness around the rim can be hard to defend when he’s getting downhill. The three shooting is problematic. This was the worry on this signing. He went 1-6 from three. I appreciate the athleticism and scoring. It’s one of the few enjoyable parts about the Lakers so far this season, but not getting shooting from our shooting guard causes issues elsewhere. He had the team-low -27. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 6-14 shooting (1-6 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 30 minutes. He was a -27.

Reaves -- -- Good to see him knock down a couple of threes. We’ve got to find some shooting and that work Reaves put in this offseason hadn’t shown up yet. Not a lot of opportunity with the ball in his hands in this game, which with Westbrook out you’d think they’d lean on that a little more. He had one of the better passes of the game on his only assist, a long bounce pass around defenders to LeBron on the break for a dunk. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-5 shooting (2-3 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist and 1 turnover in 26 minutes. He was a -23.

Beverley -- -- It felt like maybe he reeled in his offensive aggressiveness a little bit this game (which is a good thing). He had one three he fired up in early offense and missed that we don’t want to take since it wasn’t wide open. He had a nice probe baseline to draw Jordan to him and then found Jones under the hoop for a dunk. Defensively, some poor D in transition. He let a man go around him easily for a score early on, then had some plays where he didn’t match up in a timely fashion and that caused issues. Didn’t like that from him. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 1-4 shooting (0-2 from three, 4-4 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal and 3 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a -9.

Nunn -- -- At some point in his second shift, Nunn briefly took off his Sisters of Mercy nun’s habit, put on his Laker jersey and joined the squad by hitting an open corner three and setting up AD for a lob off another corner drive. In his first shift, he was atrocious -- 1-6 shooting, 2 turnovers and all in just 6 minutes. Hard to have that many empty possessions in such a short time. It’s just been killing us. He’d get some garbage points later. Man, we need him to join the fight. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-12 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 19 minutes. He was a +9.

Jones -- -- This +11 was largely because the Nuggets have fallen into the DeAndre Jordan at center trap. Jones would play anytime Jokic was sitting. He’d have a dunk off a Pat Bev feed and several passes you thought he might dunk on but didn’t. That led to a couple fouls and FTs. Not a great game, but clearly a better back up C than where we were a year ago with Jordan. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 1-2 shooting (2-4 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 block and 1 foul in 11 minutes. He was a +11.

Toscano-Anderson -- -- He’d score a layup on a nice cut and high-low sequence with AD. Looked like a set play. Hope to see it again. Short minutes for him tonight as we were a -11 in his 10 minutes. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting to go with 3 boards and 3 fouls in 10 minutes. He was a -11.

Brown -- -- I’ve been liking his minutes. I thought he might start, but the Nuggets didn’t have Michael Porter Jr. in the mix. Brown probably would have matched up better there than Reaves if he was playing. Even still, look at the numbers. A +3 in 28 minutes. He’s just doing a lot of little things, making the right play with the pass and just hitting some shots. His three buckets: he hit a pull-up from midrange, he hit a baseline floater and attacked from the corner for a layup. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-8 shooting (0-3 from three) to go with 5 boards (2 offensive), 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +3.

Ryan -- -- He came in to start the fourth quarter as we fell back deep. We wanted to give LeBron and AD some perimeter shooting. He would bury a three to cut the lead to 7 and force an early timeout. He’d later hit a deep three when the game was out of reach. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-3 shooting from three to go with 1 board and 3 fouls in 8 minutes. He was a +7.

Gabriel -- -- In for garbage time. Nothing to report. The Stats: No stats in 3 minutes. He was a +7.

Christie -- -- He’d earn a couple FTs on a defensive board during garbage time. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 2-2 shooting from the line to go with 1 board and 1 assist in 3 minutes. He was a +7.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: The whole third quarter was awful. But the Lakers were able to trim the lead down to 7 early in the fourth. There was a sequence where LeBron missed one at the rim that would have cut it to 5 and the Nuggets hit a three on the other end instead to push it to 10. That was painful. As was the no-call on LeBron in transition that led to a bucket and a Ham tech. Another big switch. Too bad the no call wasn’t a challenge-able play because it was one of those key moments.

Key Substitution: We really had to win those fourth quarter minutes against DeAndre Jordan. The Lakers had an 8-0 run to start the fourth. They came up empty on several trips where you thought they should have had a score, but we subbed in LeBron/AD to start the quarter to try to get this game back in hand. Just dug too deep a hole in that third. Had we at least played even in the third, this could have been more interesting.

Key Stats: First stat, 0-4. I expected us to be 1-3 at this point, and that’s what we should be. The Lakers were 4-16 from three at the half. They still had 17 assists in the half, getting into the paint consistently. They’d finish 8-30 from three (26.7%). They can still trim down some unneeded threes, but we did see a few guys attack off that three line with good effect instead of settling for a three.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Sad 😢 Thanks for the write up tho. Appreciate it…I know it’s gotta be tough.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Davis, Walker, Reaves lineup was horrible today
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Once AD's back waved the white flag in the third, the Nuggets surged ahead. With him and Lebron on the bench, we'd go with four smalls and D. Jones. The Nuggets smartly attacked the paint and were rewarded for our inability to defend it well.

T. Bryant being out hurts quite a bit, but I really have no idea why Gabriel doesn't get more play. His size could help until Pelinka decides to get more (true) front court support.

Nunn acted like he's trying not to get traded for most of the game. He was a lot more active and impactful during the pre-season, and in this game he didn't wake up until the ugly third quarter was getting out of hand. The aggression he showed in garbage time tonight was missing altogether for the last few games.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB

It's better to assume this season is lost.

A lot less stressful than hoping for a miraculous run.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Of all the seasons I've posted on this board and read your summaries, this has likely got to be the toughest for you in a long time. When I joined the forum, we had the kids and a rebuild...so, you expected the tough churn up the mountain.

But when you have LBJ, and AD, and you actually won a chip...to watch this decline of the franchise. When Magic left, and a coach was not here yet, the Media laughed. They shutup after the team got off to a great start in Vog's first season and won a chip. They also mostly shut their yaps even in the following season.

But here we are, back to being the fan base of a heavily mocked team. And here you are, dutifully chronicling these games, where the outcome right now seems almost certain on most nights.

This is the first season I can recall I just do not see a light at the end of the tunnel. The product on the court is just...bad.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject:

As PatBev stated, this stretch of games will build and expose the character of this team

With Trailblazers, Jazz and Spurs doing well, along with the 76ers and Nets having big problems - it appears that this season will be filled with many unexpected surprises that will make this season fascinating because anything can happen
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks again DB
Amazing what little production we are getting at there PG position even though we have 4 players at that position.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

I stay up pretty late for these 9PM games... and for what? Like LeBron to start the 3rd, I'm in a fog this morning. We should be 2-2 right now, and yet I feel like this team could legitimately start 0-10. As DrDent said, for the 2nd straight season we're a punching bag on social media. Damn shame
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject:

Ugh. I hate this season.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the analysis, as always, DB!

As many problems this team has...and there are many...this team is still way more watchable than last season's squad. This team play with more energy, and competitiveness. Which is what last season's team severely lacked. That said, with the offense being as atrocious as it is, it's not an easy watch, by any means, lol. With the Lakers having a completely brand new squad...for the 4th season in a row I believe?...along with a new coaching staff, integrating a new offense, I foresaw there being a bit of a rough start. Coaches learning the players. Players learning each other, while learning the offensive/defensive principles. Just getting chemistry going. There is all that, yes. But, no one expected historically bad shooting. And, it doesn't help that AD is injured...again. Props to him playing through it. But, it was clearly effecting him on the court, and Denver was taking advantage of that.

I could go on, and on. But, long story short, there is no one trade that is going to fix our issues. If AD isn't healthy, the season is a wash. LeBron is no longer in his prime, and able to carry a team on his back. Even with better shooting. Imo, I think the FO should make moves to start over. Not give away future picks, to only get marginally better (at best), and not being close to title contention. Doing that would just be bad management.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject:

You are the man DB, Thanks
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

They're not as bad as they are playing, this is because there was a coaching and system change and like always with Rob Pelinka, a huge overhaul in players (Although in this case it was needed as last year's players couldn't defend).

Root issues are same though

1) Lebron doesn't play PG like he should (Look at the TOs last night). Lebron was sloppy. He is in scoring mode. This game switched it up with WB out and Lebron isn't familiar with the new system and where to find the guys. He hasn't been the team's full time PG in a while nor been the PG in this system. It was a role change yesterday back into PG role and Lebron laid an egg.

2) AD is not 2019 AD. Look at the back issues, the little knick knack stuff. A few years ago, this defensive effort and AD/Lebron playing the way they were, we'd win some of these games. I think we'd be 2-2. AD is not the same level athlete he was 3 years ago. Still a game changer on defense, an all-star level player, but not the franchise altering/superstar level player.

3) The supporting cast Pelinka put together can defend better this year, but can't shoot or make enough shots. It's the opposite of last year. They had some guys that can shoot/score around the big 3 but not enough that could defend consistently. We have still way too many 1-way threat lineups.

4) Can't put this all on WB, as I've been saying. Even without WB, we have issues scoring the ball and AD/Lebron being the level they should be at. WB is a problem, but our team as a whole has some holes and is not built properly to support an older declining AD/Lebron combo.

We're not very good but we should be 1-3 or 2-2. We're not playing well, but hopefully this is the down part of our season, and that eventually we get that upward swing. No way a team with AD/Lebron should be 0-4, that's a team that is not meeting the system's requirements and the fit is not good between the players. Counting PS we have 1 win in 10 games.

Historically though teams that begin 0-4 are usually lottery teams. I hope this isn't the case. At the very least, I think we're a play in lock. I dunno how we're playing this bad on offense, to be honest. This is Mike Brown/Byron Scott level bad offense production. I know we're running stuff that Bud ran, but it's entirely possible that Bud scheming/coaching an offense is completely different from his assistant doing it as HC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject:

Stats that stick out to me

No big disadvantage in the 3 pointers in this one (can't blame shooting, Denver had just 1 more 3)
35-18 Denver on fastbreaks (huge issue)
54-47 Denver on the board

Denver was able to get out get easy baskets and we're not doing that.
In previous games the shooting disadvantage was more obvious, and although we didn't shoot well from 3, so didn't Denver.

The way Denver was able to run and get easy baskets on us is an issue. The team is supposed to be more athletic, and capable this year. Can't allow teams to outscore you on the break by 17.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

Great night for Westbrook, even if it doesn't totally absolve him.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject:

High Altitude?

Westbrook +/- 0 points

This is a huge improvement on his stats and one that Ham should consider extending.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

I am assuming if russ had 8to's this board would be a bit different today.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Of course because his 8 to's would be accompanied by 0-11 shooting with the usual sprinkling of backboard 3's and early-in-the-shot-clock shots.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Of course because his 8 to's would be accompanied by 0-11 shooting with the usual sprinkling of backboard 3's and early-in-the-shot-clock shots.

at least we know now that moving forward if russ ever shoots decent the 8tos will be overlooked.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Halflife wrote:

at least we know now that moving forward if russ ever shoots decent the 8tos will be overlooked.

The Russ hill is a sad one to die on.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Halflife wrote:

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

For the record, unless Russ is wrecking shop in the Lakers locker room, we are too talent starved to send him home.

I think he could inject some life into the 2nd unit as the lead guard. The forced LBJ/AD/Russ starting trio just needs to end. And no need to guarantee him that he closes games either, as he's been an active harm to the team in closing moments. But I think he can be a good innings eater and help the team in that role.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Halflife wrote:

no hill. Just important as the Playmaker said "keep the intensity"
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
For the record, unless Russ is wrecking shop in the Lakers locker room, we are too talent starved to send him home.

I think he could inject some life into the 2nd unit as the lead guard. The forced LBJ/AD/Russ starting trio just needs to end. And no need to guarantee him that he closes games either, as he's been an active harm to the team in closing moments. But I think he can be a good innings eater and help the team in that role.

I've made this point a couple times elsewhere: Westbrook is our best option for a starting guard. This is not a good thing, but it's still true. Nunn hasn't gotten his act together yet. Schroder is recovering from his thumb injury. Reaves has the talent level of a high-end G Leaguer. We looked better with Westbrook in the starting lineup than we did with any of those guys. It pains me to say that.

You can make a reasonable argument that Westbrook shouldn't close games. Nunn or Schroder may get their act together as the season progresses. Reaves may develop into something more than a fan-favorite placeholder. All of that is fair game. But as of right now, our non-Westbrook options are just pitiful.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: