NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 10-30-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I shouldnt but I love this.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1587095934873534465?s=20&t=SIH00JFG_aBgn6-MMrCChg

I love this even more than the victory itself, this is camaraderie that will lead to even greater chemistry and trust.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Excellent recap and analysis DB, as always!
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

<snip>
* Would you miss KCP missing shots, like what he did during the regular season?
<snip>

Hm, which regular season are you talking about?
Here are his past 5 seasons:
2P% : 33.3 48.0 46.0 54.1 54.2
3P% : 53.3 39.0 41.0 38.5 34.7
efg% : 60.8 53.1 54.9 55.8 53.0

The "missing shots during the regular season" doesn't seem to be supported by recent data.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

That was a flashback to the Lakers of 2020 and 2021 where once they make a couple shots in a row in crunch time, the entire team just gets ridiculously hot.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. As always, an excellent summary.

While I am happy the team finally got a W, I'm just not terribly excited until I see some lengthy consistency. To put it bluntly, it took an extremely arduous effort to get this win. Team shot (for them) out of this world from 3, yet it was still a game in the final minutes. That is very telling to me.

While I can see the point of view of things getting better if Russ comes off the bench (and he accepts that role), as even I've said before that's the only way I see this working, I just think other roster deficiencies will be difficult to overcome.

But. It is early. It's why we play the game...to see what happens.

Onward and upward!
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Thanks DB. As always, an excellent summary.

While I am happy the team finally got a W, I'm just not terribly excited until I see some lengthy consistency. To put it bluntly, it took an extremely arduous effort to get this win. Team shot (for them) out of this world from 3, yet it was still a game in the final minutes. That is very telling to me.

While I can see the point of view of things getting better if Russ comes off the bench (and he accepts that role), as even I've said before that's the only way I see this working, I just think other roster deficiencies will be difficult to overcome.

But. It is early. It's why we play the game...to see what happens.

Onward and upward!

Agreed on the point about consistency. I think we'd all love to see this team have a strong 10-game stretch where they go 7-3 or 8-2.

However, I'm not concerned that this game was a tough battle. The Nuggets are title contenders! It should be tough. And the Lakers, even at their best, are nowhere near title contenders. However, if this team hopes to be a 5th-7th seed, then it will need to take care of business against the Rockets/Magic/Kings/etc. of the league (and hopefully take care of 'em more easily).
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Would you miss KCP missing shots, like what he did during the regular season?

The "missing shots during the regular season" doesn't seem to be supported by recent data.
For those that remember when KCP was playing for the Lakers, this article shares the sentiment that many Laker fans had (https://lakeshowlife.com/2021/06/15/los-angeles-lakers-kentavious-caldwell-trade-safe/2/)

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is not that consistent

This isn’t to say that KCP is a bad player or shooter in the slightest. In fact, KCP was one of the best shooters for the Los Angeles Lakers last season; but therein lies the problem. If a team’s best shooter is someone as inconsistent as Caldwell-Pope then that’s probably not a great thing.

And I already know what you’re thinking. You’ve pulled up his Basketball-Reference page and see that he shot 41% from beyond the arc last season. That is true and if the Lakers can keep him around then great. But if they can turn that into something more consistent then they absolutely should.

Anyone who watched the Lakers this season knows exactly what I’m talking about. There were KCP games where he was Steph Curry from beyond the arc and could not miss. There were also games in which he wouldn’t make a single three, despite taking multiple attempts.

Don’t believe me? Go ahead and click the game logs tab on his B-R page. KCP had 15 games with no three-pointers made along with another 22 where he made just one. The team’s best shooter percentage-wise made fewer than two threes in over half his games played.

He did have three games with six or more threes, but if you remove those three games from his overall season his percentage dips all the way to 38.8%. Still solid, but three games accounted for 15% of his total made threes last season.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

For those that remember when KCP was playing for the Lakers, this article shares the sentiment that many Laker fans had (https://lakeshowlife.com/2021/06/15/los-angeles-lakers-kentavious-caldwell-trade-safe/2/)
<snip>

I've read it - it says "KCP is inconsistent" but fails to provide any measure or evidence of "inconsistency" other than the vacuous observation that 'some games KCP misses shots but other games he goes on hot shooting streaks".
Well huh, which shooter does not go through shooting streaks? Here's Harden's five games this season: 56% 42% 44% 15% 47%. Is Harden more or less consistent than KCP? Does Harden "miss shots in the regular season" too?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

This isn’t to say that KCP is a bad player or shooter in the slightest. In fact, KCP was one of the best shooters for the Los Angeles Lakers last season; but therein lies the problem. If a team’s best shooter is someone as inconsistent as Caldwell-Pope then that’s probably not a great thing.

And I already know what you’re thinking. You’ve pulled up his Basketball-Reference page and see that he shot 41% from beyond the arc last season. That is true and if the Lakers can keep him around then great. But if they can turn that into something more consistent then they absolutely should.

Anyone who watched the Lakers this season knows exactly what I’m talking about. There were KCP games where he was Steph Curry from beyond the arc and could not miss. There were also games in which he wouldn’t make a single three, despite taking multiple attempts.

Don’t believe me? Go ahead and click the game logs tab on his B-R page. KCP had 15 games with no three-pointers made along with another 22 where he made just one. The team’s best shooter percentage-wise made fewer than two threes in over half his games played.

He did have three games with six or more threes, but if you remove those three games from his overall season his percentage dips all the way to 38.8%. Still solid, but three games accounted for 15% of his total made threes last season.

KCP was crucified here. His pattern was that he always went through long slumps ultimately breaking through.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

KCP was crucified here. His pattern was that he always went through long slumps ultimately breaking through.
Unfortunately, KCP never "broke through" to being a consistent shooter.

Lonnie Walker IV is playing the KCP role on this team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: