The Beatles Revolver Super Deluxe LP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: The Beatles Revolver Super Deluxe LP

Hey, I am sure everyone here loves music, right?
I love it all...Motown, Soul, Alternative, Rock, Jazz, etc.

My son just received his Beatles Revolver Super Deluxe vinyl LP set which just released today. WOW. It's amazing.

For those folks too young to really appreciate The Beatles, take a listen. This album, along with its predecessor, Rubber Soul, are truly part of the evolution of this band.

With Revolver, if you listen first and then read about it's musical construction in Wikipedia or whatever, you will be blown away. There was no Pro Tools and other advanced recording techniques in 1966. These guys made this amazing piece of history with a 4 track and innovative minds. They did tape loops, overdubbed guitar solos, backwards masking, automatic double tracking, etc.

In short, decades ahead of its time.

I especially love Taxman, For No One and the incomparable Tomorrow Never Knows.

Give it a listen, even if you are not a Beatles fan.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

Always appreciated The Beatles, but when I watched Get Back I really dove into it. Going through all the different mixes and versions is very interesting. Getting into the different mixes for Let it Be right now, fun journey!
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject:

Also for any Beatles historians, was Glyn Johns originally supposed to be the mixing engineer for Let it Be or just recording engineer? I see he got his unreleased mixes on the deluxe album, just not sure if he was originally in change and then they when to Phil Spectre.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Last best sounding thing I've heard from The Beatles was the 1999 remastering of the Yellow Sub album. Stuff like When I'm 64, Nowhere Man, Hey Bulldog, and All You Need Is Love. Most magnificent ones I've heard, dunno what they did, but the already subtle background noise in the songs was cleaned out and they sounded "CRYS-TULL" as John Bender would say. What I mean by that is that earlier CD versions of Beatles catalogue had songs that had background hiss here and there. It was there enough to be noticeable against the actual music/instruments. I wasn't blown away by the 2009 remasters. I got the file of the entire lot from a friend and posted the link here at the time for free DLs (I'm a giver...). Definitely superior to the earlier CD releases (I still have a boxset of those old ones circa late 80s to early 90s), but I didn't find the remasters as clean as whatever they did on the Yellow Sub one. It's unfortunate that treatment wasn't given to a more important album than YS, but such is life.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Last best sounding thing I've heard from The Beatles was the 1999 remastering of the Yellow Sub album. Stuff like When I'm 64, Nowhere Man, Hey Bulldog, and All You Need Is Love. Most magnificent ones I've heard, dunno what they did, but the already subtle background noise in the songs was cleaned out and they sounded "CRYS-TULL" as John Bender would say. What I mean by that is that earlier CD versions of Beatles catalogue had songs that had background hiss here and there. It was there enough to be noticeable against the actual music/instruments. I wasn't blown away by the 2009 remasters. I got the file of the entire lot from a friend and posted the link here at the time for free DLs (I'm a giver...). Definitely superior to the earlier CD releases (I still have a boxset of those old ones circa late 80s to early 90s), but I didn't find the remasters as clean as whatever they did on the Yellow Sub one. It's unfortunate that treatment wasn't given to a more important album than YS, but such is life.

Thanks for the post.
I am curious, other than the 2009 remasters, have you heard the 2017 Sgt. Pepper remaster, the 2018 White Album remaster or the 2019 Abbey Road and 2021 Let it Be remaster? Those sound amazing and nothing like the 2009 remaster.
Same here with Revolver. Because of the way it was recorded, the technology was not available to properly remaster this 1966 album until Peter Jackson teamed up with Giles Martin (Sir George Martin’s son) to properly remaster it.

Just curious if you have taken a listen to those recent remasters.
My 15 year old son has each of those super deluxe box sets on vinyl and they sound amazing!!!!!!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Thanks for the post.
I am curious, other than the 2009 remasters, have you heard the 2017 Sgt. Pepper remaster, the 2018 White Album remaster or the 2019 Abbey Road and 2021 Let it Be remaster? Those sound amazing and nothing like the 2009 remaster.
Same here with Revolver. Because of the way it was recorded, the technology was not available to properly remaster this 1966 album until Peter Jackson teamed up with Giles Martin (Sir George Martin’s son) to properly remaster it.

My 15 year old son has each of those super deluxe box sets on vinyl and they sound amazing!!!!!!

I haven't to any of those. I didn't expect them to put out anything better than the 09 ones. They've gone a little bit remaster heavy in the past decade or two, kinda like Batman movies. I'm never sure if I can't do without additional attempts after 09. If you got the mp3s, I'd gladly take em. Or if anyone else does. That's what I'm hoping for. That someone is gonna help me be cheap.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Thanks for the post.

I haven't to any of those. I didn't expect them to put out anything better than the 09 ones. They've gone a little bit remaster heavy in the past decade or two, kinda like Batman movies. I'm never sure if I can't do without additional attempts after 09. If you got the mp3s, I'd gladly take em. Or if anyone else does. That's what I'm hoping for. That someone is gonna help me be cheap.

Not the same technology, my friend.
2009 is not the same at all.
The clarity of these new remasters are great.
They come from the original EMI reel to reel tapes.
Not some dumbed down over compressed over enhanced crap.
This is truly how they were supposed to sound.

Don’t have MP3, plus who ever uses that technology anymore?
Go to Spotify, YouTube, Pandora and listen for free.
You won’t be disappointed.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Thanks for the post.

I loathe subscribing to sites and hate new sites and crap I perceive as trendy, right or wrong. You don't know the half. I gotta be very motivated to bother w/ stuff like that. I didn't carry a cellphone between 03 and 13. They turned into smartphones during that timespan. Never had an iPod. Took me till 11/17 to make an account on Twit. CMB made my damn Facebook acct years ago because I wouldn't do it in order to watch a vid of his. I use neither, and it's for the better. I'm the last person in America who has NEVER, not even once, been to a Starbucks. It's gotta be a mental issue and not the only one.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Thanks for the post.

I loathe subscribing to sites and hate new sites and crap I perceive as trendy, right or wrong. You don't know the half. I gotta be very motivated to bother w/ stuff like that. I didn't carry a cellphone between 03 and 13. They turned into smartphones during that timespan. Never had an iPod. Took me till 11/17 to make an account on Twit. CMB made my damn Facebook acct years ago because I wouldn't do it in order to watch a vid of his. I use neither, and it's for the better. I'm the last person in America who has NEVER, not even once, been to a Starbucks. It's gotta be a mental issue and not the only one.

Wow. Sounds rough.
Spotify and YouTube are free.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Wow. Sounds rough.

Saight, I'm just lazy and Amish. I'm on YT since 08 and I'll check Spotify because I have the actual motivation, that's the key.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Wow. Sounds rough.

Saight, I'm just lazy and Amish. I'm on YT since 08 and I'll check Spotify because I have the actual motivation, that's the key.

Are you really Amish?
That’s cool. I get it.
Happy you are on LG.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Wow. Sounds rough.

Are you really Amish?
That’s cool. I get it.
Happy you are on LG.

Haha, no, no, no. Just Amish in terms of my aversion to new apps n such. I've been milkin and plowin so long that even EZEKIEL thinks that my mind is gone! I need to be badgered by people to finally relent most the time. That happened w/ WhatsApp and that one payment app. Friends and sisters accosting me for living like it's 1993. I got the works over and over and finally figured out what they were and got em up. I just have a weird aversion to fiddling w/ new comp/web related crap. It's like Tony having an aversion to his pool after the ducks flew off.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Thanks for the post.

Aight. Just signed up at Spotify, mark the date, 11/6/22. I listened to 2018 Dear Prudence and got Ob-La-Di. I immediately gotta agree w/ your hot takes above. It's way more poppy and bright than past versions. You can hear every instrument crystal clear. And they're all mixed at around the same volume, even. I'm gonna dive into those based on your insistence, anth2000. I will remember you as the person who helped a doofus out re: Spotify.

These ones are pretty damn stunning. They must've remastered everything separately, all instruments and vocals. Now in Happiness Is A Warm Gun, it sounds blatantly different than all past versions including 2009. The instruments are stoopidly poppy and bright, very loud, which is good. The 2009 version of that song and Helter Skelter among others are low volume even at 10. Haha at Happiness. That is a stunner, Yer 100 on this, bro.

Julia is the clearest it's ever been, no doubt about it. That 2009 version has some kind of audio hiss when the song is turned up on any platform. That song is so pitiful in a sad way. John never got over not having his mother, as you know she was killed by a drunk driver as John had just begun to re-establish their relationship. He would say, "I lost her TWICE." And this was a guy who had a sad/dark side all his life because of it. My dad had that thing all his life, too, but his father was an SS/Gestapo who got KIA in the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. Kinda different scenarios there. John is my fave and I love his solo stuff. It trends towards darkness more than Paul's stuff does. I'm not a fan of Wings, but I like the original version of Live And Let Die, which sounds like a Beatles song. George was another master artist. I hate the overuse of that word in these days. Artist is used VERY loosely. He and John were artists.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Wow. Sounds rough.

Are you really Amish?
That’s cool. I get it.
Happy you are on LG.

Haha, no, no, no. Just Amish in terms of my aversion to new apps n such.

I think the word you were looking for is "Luddite, " which you would have known if you were using that great new app that always finds the right word for you, and...
....oh, wait...I see the problem there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Thanks for the post.

Aight. Just signed up at Spotify, mark the date, 11/6/22. I listened to 2018 Dear Prudence and got Ob-La-Di. I immediately gotta agree w/ your hot takes above. It's way more poppy and bright than past versions. You can hear every instrument crystal clear. And they're all mixed at around the same volume, even. I'm gonna dive into those based on your insistence, anth2000. I will remember you as the person who helped a doofus out re: Spotify.

These ones are pretty damn stunning. They must've remastered everything separately, all instruments and vocals. Now in Happiness Is A Warm Gun, it sounds blatantly different than all past versions including 2009. The instruments are stoopidly poppy and bright, very loud, which is good. The 2009 version of that song and Helter Skelter among others are low volume even at 10. Haha at Happiness. That is a stunner, Yer 100 on this, bro.

Julia is the clearest it's ever been, no doubt about it. That 2009 version has some kind of audio hiss when the song is turned up on any platform. That song is so pitiful in a sad way. John never got over not having his mother, as you know she was killed by a drunk driver as John had just begun to re-establish their relationship. He would say, "I lost her TWICE." And this was a guy who had a sad/dark side all his life because of it. My dad had that thing all his life, too, but his father was an SS/Gestapo who got KIA in the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. Kinda different scenarios there. John is my fave and I love his solo stuff. It trends towards darkness more than Paul's stuff does. I'm not a fan of Wings, but I like the original version of Live And Let Die, which sounds like a Beatles song. George was another master artist. I hate the overuse of that word in these days. Artist is used VERY loosely. He and John were artists.

Awesome. So happy you are enjoying them.
I am 55 and have been a huge Beatles fan since birth.
Keep listening.
Abbey Road next, then Sgt. Pepper, Revolver and Let it Be.

Same with the solo material.
John’s Imagine and Plastic Ono Band 50th anniversary remasters sound amazing.
George’s All Things Must Pass 50th remaster is stunning. My favorite Beatles solo album.
Same with Paul’s remastered albums.

Also, if I may suggest, don’t skip around songs, play these albums in their entirety like they were meant to be heard. Like the White Album, listening to the order is special, even if you are not fond of every song.

Enjoy!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Also, if I may suggest, don’t skip around songs, play these albums in their entirety like they were meant to be heard. Like the White Album, listening to the order is special, even if you are not fond of every song.

Enjoy!

I will, Anth. Long term Beatles fan, not just a dabbler. I remember listening to my mom's LPs of them when I was a little kid, not that I understood them or knew who and what The Beatles were. I'd say my favorite song of theirs might be Dig A Pony, which John considered a garbage song (he said that a lot about his stuff). Have an old boxset in a wooden case w/ an old 1800s desk style slatted pull down cover. Those were pre 2009. I'm glad I got the 09 stuff as freebies. But these are superlative.

As for listening to the album 60s style (continuously), I'll try, but I'm gonna be tempted to skip Revolution 9. "Numbuh 9...Numbuh 9...(infinity).
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Enjoy!

I will, Anth. Long term Beatles fan, not just a dabbler. I remember listening to my mom's LPs of them when I was a little kid, not that I understood them or knew who and what The Beatles were. I'd say my favorite song of theirs might be Dig A Pony, which John considered a garbage song (he said that a lot about his stuff). Have an old boxset in a wooden case w/ an old 1800s desk style slatted pull down cover. Those were pre 2009. I'm glad I got the 09 stuff as freebies. But these are superlative.

As for listening to the album 60s style (continuously), I'll try, but I'm gonna be tempted to skip Revolution 9. "Numbuh 9...Numbuh 9...(infinity).

Agree. I don't like Revolution 9.

My favorite songs are: For No One, Dear Prudence, Happy Just to Dance with You, Taxman, Here Comes the Sun, Hey Bulldog, etc
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Enjoy!

I happen to love the Let It Be album and I'm starting it now. Don't let me down, remasters.

Agree. I don't like Revolution 9.

My favorite songs are: For No One, Dear Prudence, Happy Just to Dance with You, Taxman, Here Comes the Sun, Hey Bulldog, etc

I just compared the 2009 and 2022 versions of Here, There, And Everywhere and they're distinctly different. It's odd hearing these 2022 songs after damn near 40 years of listening to The Beatles as they sounded on LPs and CDs all the way up to 2022. Every issue before 22 sound exactly the same, remastered or not. The 22 ones are distinctly different in a way, in a large part to what must've been increasing volume of vocals, especially. They really stand out. It makes them sound different than they ever have since they were first put onto albums in the early 60s. I wonder if that's offputting to some since you're so conditioned to hearing the songs a certain way. These make the Fab 4 sound like their music was engineered in contemporary times with the aid of tech improvements.

Delving into the Let It Be Album, which I happen to love. I roll a lorrey where you can syndicate any boat you row! Across The Universe stands out because the 09 version sounds like crap w/ audio hiss at higher volumes. This'n has none of those. What emotionally raw lyrics by John in that one. A true work of art.

PS: Glad you hipped me to this, dude. This site is actually cool. No muss, no fuss like I like things. Everything seems to sound excellent on this site. I was just listening to Kim wilde's "Kids In America" (there's a new wave comin, I warn ya) and it sounded like a remaster, too. I gotta see if I can find anything that is NOT one and judge how it sounds.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: