OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 201, 202, 203 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Why doesn't Jeanie fire Pelinka already? I mean what exactly is she waiting for or wanting to see? Even a monkey could see it's all on Pelinka. I mean if she actually values her friendship with him that much, then she should just step down. Stop hiring friends and then not firing them when they don't perform.

I mean he has decimated the franchise, do you really want him to be making more personnel decisions?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Why doesn't Jeanie fire Pelinka already? I mean what exactly is she waiting for or wanting to see? Even a monkey could see it's all on Pelinka. I mean if she actually values her friendship with him that much, then she should just step down. Stop hiring friends and then not firing them when they don't perform.

I mean he has decimated the franchise, do you really want him to be making more personnel decisions?

She's not firing him imo is due likely to the possibility that he is doing exactly what she wants him to do...get out of the repeater luxury tax penalty next year by not taking on any additional salary and limiting deals to one year. If the goal is for that the trade THT/Johnson for expiring Pat Bev even if it doesn't help the team because it sets up Jeanie not to pay tax penalty. The focus on winning is just not there. Jeanie and Rob is the problem together so that's whey the unthinkalbe was done...not only has he not been fired, he was given a faulking 4 year, a 4 year, extension.

The Lakers probably won't compete again until ownership changes.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject:

When Jim Buss was forced out, Jeanie should've just kept Mitch Kupchak as the GM. Kupchak may not be a great GM, but he's solid and he's probably respected around the league as a professional and good soldier. At least then maybe other teams wouldn't try to rip us off in every trade proposal.

Seems like the rest of the league is laughing at us and enjoying our downfall.

Quote:
One NBA executive appears to be enjoying the Los Angeles Lakers’ slow start to the 2022-23 season.

According to Heavy.com’s Steve Bulpett, the executive took a bit of a victory lap on the Lakers struggles with their current roster.

Los Angeles has struggled to build a winning team around LeBron James and Anthony Davis over the last few seasons, failing to win a playoff series since the NBA’s Orlando, Fla. bubble in the 2019-20 season.

“My point always was that these guys had no f—— clue,” the executive told Heavy.com. “I said, when the old man dies and Jerry West leaves and a real professional like Mitch Kupchak leaves the Lakers, that you’re gonna see the fastest freefall of a legacy franchise you’ve ever seen. That’s exactly what happened. So they managed to pull LeBron in and got involved with him and Klutch, and he came in and got them a championship in the bubble. That’s it. After that, there’s no more championships.

“Look where they are now and tell me when the hell they’re going to have a chance to compete for a championship again.”

https://lakersdaily.com/nba-exec-on-lakers-tell-me-when-the-hell-theyre-going-to-have-a-chance-to-compete-for-a-championship-again/
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
When Jim Buss was forced out, Jeanie should've just kept Mitch Kupchak as the GM. Kupchak may not be a great GM, but he's solid and he's probably respected around the league as a professional and good soldier. At least then maybe other teams wouldn't try to rip us off in every trade proposal.

Quote:
One NBA executive appears to be enjoying the Los Angeles Lakers’ slow start to the 2022-23 season.

According to Heavy.com’s Steve Bulpett, the executive took a bit of a victory lap on the Lakers struggles with their current roster.

Los Angeles has struggled to build a winning team around LeBron James and Anthony Davis over the last few seasons, failing to win a playoff series since the NBA’s Orlando, Fla. bubble in the 2019-20 season.

“My point always was that these guys had no f—— clue,” the executive told Heavy.com. “I said, when the old man dies and Jerry West leaves and a real professional like Mitch Kupchak leaves the Lakers, that you’re gonna see the fastest freefall of a legacy franchise you’ve ever seen. That’s exactly what happened. So they managed to pull LeBron in and got involved with him and Klutch, and he came in and got them a championship in the bubble. That’s it. After that, there’s no more championships.

“Look where they are now and tell me when the hell they’re going to have a chance to compete for a championship again.”

https://lakersdaily.com/nba-exec-on-lakers-tell-me-when-the-hell-theyre-going-to-have-a-chance-to-compete-for-a-championship-again/

Couldn't keep Mitch...Mos/Deng was done 1st thing at mid-night (12:01am) on the first day of free agency. Everyone knew it should have been 3 year deals for both with a team option for the 3rd year even if we had to overpay.
Probably would have let it slide if a 4 year deal with a team option for the 4th year. But those clowns signed those guys as a plan "A" to 4 guaranteed years...they had to go for that.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Mitch was married to Jim buss. Too bad
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Mitch was married to Jim buss. Too bad

It was an arranged marriage though.

Jeanie wanted to bring in Pelinka (as close to having Kobe in the FO as possible) but she was trying to honor her dad's wish. Mitch was really in a no win position. 1) Work with the guy your one time Buss err boss wanted you to who also happens to be an owner and is now your boss or 2) Be a disloyal snake a la Pelinka and collude with Jeanie to oust Jimmy. TBH, I respect he just kept his head down and did his job. That said, it was his time to go. Magic was the wrong choice. Pelinka was def thee wrong choice. But Jeanie is too incompetent to pull the plug and start anew. Instead, leet's double down on old faces/names who are proven FO office failures in Rambis, Phil, and Magic. I mean, that's literally here support system and sounding board. Tragic much?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Quote:

This is nothing new.

Most of the loyal fans are smart and clearly can see what is happening.

Unfortunately for Jeanie, she is pretty much clueless. Bring in smart executives and let them run the team.

Instead she is depending on the Rambis and Pelinka and we are seeing the results.

Of course people are going to laugh.

Seriously it is pathetic that the Lakers bring in AD and Lebron and do not even make the playoffs.

That is so sad that it is shocking.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
People can disagree, but if we had a whole training camp/preseason with Myles/Buddy, I think we are closer to 7-4, 8-3 right now. Buddy would relieve some of the scoring/shooting burden, and AD/Myles would be a monster together defensively and allow AD to be rover again.

I disagree we'd be 7-4, but this tough to argue. I think Myles/Bud give us a lock for play ins/maybe 6th-5th if Lebron/AD stay very healthy (65+). But what happens if Lebron/AD miss a lot of games? Again, we still don't possess the depth. Yes we got 2 solid starting level players, but we need at least 4 players like that to be competitive without 1 star. And we're always seeminly down to 1 healthy star, sometimes 0 healthy stars. If you look back at the last time we won 60% of our games, we had Trez/Dennis/KCP/Caruso/Kuzma, that's about 5 guys of (at that time in their careers) quality who can give you quality minutes. I think to be a 7-4 level team, we need Hield/Turner and then another 2 moves to get us into that situation. Maybe Walker can be a 3rd guy, and IMO to be a team that's a lock to win 60% of their games, you need a 4th and 5th player of that Hield/Walker/Hield level. Beverly has been a big bummer, and Reaves hasn't improved from year 1 to 2.

Say we are 6-5 instead.

You'd still have Nunn/Bev contracts to play with.

Dennis/Bev
Hield/Lonnie/Reaves
LBJ/Troy
AD/Wenyen
Myles/TB/Jones

Much deeper team. Since our defense is falling off the cliff as we play more, our offense actually improves with Buddy/Myles.

I think the Lakers are considering these situations. One of the reasons they said no to Turner/Hield for WB/2 picks is that they didn't feel they would contend with that team. So I'm guessing they do at least see the reality that the ring days are done, unless you stockpile on talent around AD/Bron.

Sort of like Curry/Klay, with Klay declining, they stockpiled with new talent like Wiggins, Poole, Kuminga etc. and could extend the run. We sort of needed that boost around an older AD/Bron. We (bleep) that all up, and now want to try and re-create the defensive identity and level we had 3 years ago. We also probably want as much depth and players.

Not going to be easy. So the tough question is do you mortgage the future more for 2 pieces that help but not give you the needed depth/talent to contend, or do you await for an even better situation? I am sure if the Lakers could end up with a team that has a starting 2-way C, AD, Bron, 2 starting 3nD wings and some quality bench players, they would jump on this chance (assuming the lux tax longterm hit wasn't there). There's a lot of things in play here. Does Jeanie want to commit to the repeater tax? I doubt it. Some of the scenarios I read, have us having to be a tax repeat offender.

I do believe for all the things Pelinka/Jeanie/Rambii have done wrong, the one thing they have done right so far is hold on to those 2 picks. Those picks are very valued according to Woj, because teams think we're going to be bad in 2027 and 2029. And they want those picks unprotected. That's my main problem with these picks being given up. If we can heavily protect them, lets go, bring on Hield/Turner. But I think teams want to feast on Pelinka once again, and at least for now he's resisiting, or the vote by commitee in the FO is resisting. Even as bad as 2-9 feels (could be 1-10 if not for Ryan and 2 FTs misses by Pels) I think we should still not make a panic move.

My offer for any of these deals that give us some starting level talent would be top 10-15 protection on the picks. If teams accept that, I think giving a mid-1st to late 1st is worth giving this team a real shot at the playoffs (and ridding us of the cancerous Westbrook experience). However I don't think teams are agreeing to pick protections, they want Pelinka to cave like he typically has with draft picks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Quote:

Big talk from someone hiding. Say it with your chest random exec. Did your team win anything?
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Quote:

Big talk from someone hiding. Say it with your chest random exec. Did your team win anything?

I think it probably is true that Mitch is more well liked around the league… and I would argue was a pretty darn good GM while he was here. We don’t know exactly what happened with Moz. and Deng and whose idea that was, but that was really his only real blemish.

He made the Chris Paul trade at the perfect time and would have extended the championship window for at least a few more years. He can’t really be blamed that the rest of the league stepped in torpedoing the franchise in the process. It led to discontent in the locker room and really the beginning of that first downfall of the franchise. If that trade isn’t vetoed I think the last 10 years or so would have been very very very different.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
defense wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Quote:

I think it probably is true that Mitch is more well liked around the league… and I would argue was a pretty darn good GM while he was here. We don’t know exactly what happened with Moz. and Deng and whose idea that was, but that was really his only real blemish.

He made the Chris Paul trade at the perfect time and would have extended the championship window for at least a few more years. He can’t really be blamed that the rest of the league stepped in torpedoing the franchise in the process. It led to discontent in the locker room and really the beginning of that first downfall of the franchise. If that trade isn’t vetoed I think the last 10 years or so would have been very very very different.

It's been a while. What is Mitch up to these days? Must have at least 3 or 4 rings by now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

This is some universal karmic justice for the hubris this pathetic front office has continued to display. I'm literally over this team. Can't stand anyone on the roster. Loathe management. Can't stand ownership. Klutch can go kick rocks, pound sand, F themselves...whatever. So over it.

This is no longer the team we grew up with. It's a complete (bleep) show. Lebron saved a season but what we're seeing is the fallout when you make a deal with the proverbial devil. Unfortunately this time around, Lebron's in game impact is a shadow of itself. A lot of people predicted the downward spiral (sadly not me) but I don't think anyone thought we'd free fall like this. This..this...I don't know what this is. AD/Lebron on the roster and we're really about to give the Pelicans a lottery pick lol. My goodness if they get the #1 pick the chaos that would ensue. Maybe it's worth it just to "witness" that.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
People can disagree, but if we had a whole training camp/preseason with Myles/Buddy, I think we are closer to 7-4, 8-3 right now. Buddy would relieve some of the scoring/shooting burden, and AD/Myles would be a monster together defensively and allow AD to be rover again.

I disagree we'd be 7-4, but this tough to argue. I think Myles/Bud give us a lock for play ins/maybe 6th-5th if Lebron/AD stay very healthy (65+). But what happens if Lebron/AD miss a lot of games? Again, we still don't possess the depth. Yes we got 2 solid starting level players, but we need at least 4 players like that to be competitive without 1 star. And we're always seeminly down to 1 healthy star, sometimes 0 healthy stars. If you look back at the last time we won 60% of our games, we had Trez/Dennis/KCP/Caruso/Kuzma, that's about 5 guys of (at that time in their careers) quality who can give you quality minutes. I think to be a 7-4 level team, we need Hield/Turner and then another 2 moves to get us into that situation. Maybe Walker can be a 3rd guy, and IMO to be a team that's a lock to win 60% of their games, you need a 4th and 5th player of that Hield/Walker/Hield level. Beverly has been a big bummer, and Reaves hasn't improved from year 1 to 2.

Say we are 6-5 instead.

Dennis/Bev
Hield/Lonnie/Reaves
LBJ/Troy
AD/Wenyen
Myles/TB/Jones

Much deeper team. Since our defense is falling off the cliff as we play more, our offense actually improves with Buddy/Myles.

I think the Lakers are considering these situations. One of the reasons they said no to Turner/Hield for WB/2 picks is that they didn't feel they would contend with that team. So I'm guessing they do at least see the reality that the ring days are done, unless you stockpile on talent around AD/Bron.

Sort of like Curry/Klay, with Klay declining, they stockpiled with new talent like Wiggins, Poole, Kuminga etc. and could extend the run. We sort of needed that boost around an older AD/Bron. We (bleep) that all up, and now want to try and re-create the defensive identity and level we had 3 years ago. We also probably want as much depth and players.

Not going to be easy. So the tough question is do you mortgage the future more for 2 pieces that help but not give you the needed depth/talent to contend, or do you await for an even better situation? I am sure if the Lakers could end up with a team that has a starting 2-way C, AD, Bron, 2 starting 3nD wings and some quality bench players, they would jump on this chance (assuming the lux tax longterm hit wasn't there). There's a lot of things in play here. Does Jeanie want to commit to the repeater tax? I doubt it. Some of the scenarios I read, have us having to be a tax repeat offender.

I do believe for all the things Pelinka/Jeanie/Rambii have done wrong, the one thing they have done right so far is hold on to those 2 picks. Those picks are very valued according to Woj, because teams think we're going to be bad in 2027 and 2029. And they want those picks unprotected. That's my main problem with these picks being given up. If we can heavily protect them, lets go, bring on Hield/Turner. But I think teams want to feast on Pelinka once again, and at least for now he's resisiting, or the vote by commitee in the FO is resisting. Even as bad as 2-9 feels (could be 1-10 if not for Ryan and 2 FTs misses by Pels) I think we should still not make a panic move.

My offer for any of these deals that give us some starting level talent would be top 10-15 protection on the picks. If teams accept that, I think giving a mid-1st to late 1st is worth giving this team a real shot at the playoffs (and ridding us of the cancerous Westbrook experience). However I don't think teams are agreeing to pick protections, they want Pelinka to cave like he typically has with draft picks.

If the Lakers created a competitive team this year, even if it wasn't a championship contender, it could still provide cohesion and chemistry to progress toward a championship team next year. Minor moves would be available to tweak the team toward being a contender with the tpMLE next year or other diamonds in the rough vet mins.

In any circumstance, the team should not be constructed such that it is the worse team in the league this year...for any reason.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
defense wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Quote:

It's been a while. What is Mitch up to these days? Must have at least 3 or 4 rings by now.

Has more rings than Pelinka ever will.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:

<snip>

Yup. as if a GM is the sole determinant of a franchise's ability to get rings, ownership philosophy/purse-strings/vision being irrelevant.
XxBaDGuYxX
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject:

The Westbrook trade set us back. PERIOD. Then we let Caruso and Kief walk. We had a knee jerk reaction to the Nets teaming up Harden/Kyrie/Durant but should have been more poised. Klutch definitely has pressured our front office into the position they are in today, hence Lebron's extension even though we didnt have a championship caliber team. Now its about retreating a bit, trading Westbrook for a more balanced our roster and seeing what we can do to stay competitive. We are not away. The problem is our financial situation is not designed for a big 3 plus luxury taxed role players.

- Kobe Bryant
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
defense wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I want Pelinka fired too, but again, what has Mitch accomplished since leaving the Lakers? Tired of hearing about Mitch... he's gone.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Say we are 6-5 instead.

Dennis/Bev
Hield/Lonnie/Reaves
LBJ/Troy
AD/Wenyen
Myles/TB/Jones

I don't believe the FO is considering anything other than getting under the cap to avoid the repeater tax. Sure, they wouldn't mind winning if they could, but as long as the repeater tax is avoided I don't think losing really bothers them enough to change regardless if the team is the worst team in the league this year or not.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Why doesn’t she just go to the bank and withdraw a few million dollars and burn it? Rob has 4 and half years left on his contract.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
defense wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I want Pelinka fired too, but again, what has Mitch accomplished since leaving the Lakers? Tired of hearing about Mitch... he's gone.

Well apparently the rings he won in LA mean nothing and credit belongs to everyone else, but the rings he hasn't won in Charlotte are all his fault.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject:

btw...is this a bad time for me to say i told you so? I said day 1 that Magic/Pelinka was going to work out badly. And when Magic left, i was happy, but said Rob being in charge wasn't much better. This is easily the worst hire in Laker history. The biggest front office fumble. To go from champion to worst record in the NBA in 2 years. I mean, this HAS to end with us winning the #1 pick right? With Rob sitting there to represent the Lakers? And he better not cowardly get someone else to do that...
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Say we are 6-5 instead.

Dennis/Bev
Hield/Lonnie/Reaves
LBJ/Troy
AD/Wenyen
Myles/TB/Jones

It's not reasonable to just suck unless you can contend for a championship. If you suck this bad then you improve the team to move toward a position to build upon the goal of moving toward contention.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
btw...is this a bad time for me to say i told you so? I said day 1 that Magic/Pelinka was going to work out badly. And when Magic left, i was happy, but said Rob being in charge wasn't much better. This is easily the worst hire in Laker history. The biggest front office fumble. To go from champion to worst record in the NBA in 2 years. I mean, this HAS to end with us winning the #1 pick right? With Rob sitting there to represent the Lakers? And he better not cowardly get someone else to do that...

They won a championship though so it is kind of weak and lame to come with the ‘I told you so”
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject:

I would not be surprised if he resign. Pelinka did bad decisions but I do not think he is bad or stupid person. I think in one moment he will step down because he knows that he is the problem.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

I hope you are being sarcastic about winning the #1 pic...if not you're in for a horrible surprise. You do know right? That if the Lakers win the #1 pick it goes to New Orleans, both this year and next.

Not either or, not one or the other...both!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 201, 202, 203 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 202 of 243
Jump to: