NETS -at- LAKERS - 11-13-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: NETS -at- LAKERS - 11-13-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Monster Night From AD... With the Lakers floundering, they held a feisty practice yesterday. Even though he was injured, LeBron was on guys vocally. Pat Bev said it was their best practice of the season.

Whether it was LBJ lighting a fire under guys, something kicked in gear for Anthony Davis in this one.

In that practice, they worked on their post spacing. In the game, they fed the post consistently, and AD answered the call all night.

The Lakers led by just 3 heading into the fourth, having given up a 16-3 run to close the third. They buckled down and imposed their will on the Nets.

During a key stretch, it was Lonnie Walker and AD working a two-man action on the wing. This led to multiple scores and two Nets timeouts as the Lakers gained separation and pulled away. The Lakers won all but the third quarter (of course) and took the 116-103 win over a Nets team that has been rolling since suspending Kyrie.

Davis -- -- Beast mode tonight. Offensively, a lot of work out of the post. Pat Bev mentioned they worked on his post game spacing. That made the doubles/help more difficult and AD used it to his advantage. He drew crowds every time he touched it. He found Bev cutting for an And-1. He also just scored over or through the doubles. On the roll, we were not very clean with our passing early on, but he was aggressive getting to the offensive glass. That’s a key out of those plays and would be big late in the game. He had 6 of his 11 first half boards on the offensive end. No perimeter work, just jumphooks, layups and dunks early on. He had 16 points on 6-12 shooting in the first half. He scored 15 points in the third on 7-10 shooting. He said they weren’t sending the doubles in the second half. I think they were sending help, but sending it late and having to deal with good floor spacing by the Lakers. When you’ve got Brown at PF, Bev, Reaves and Walker on his game, that made it tough. In the fourth, we got that two-man action where he could roll and crash. When we integrate him into the two-man action late in games, he’s going to have bigger nights. Defensively, he got into foul trouble picking up three fouls in the second quarter, including two in the final couple minutes of the first half. He’d sag off his man when he wasn’t a shooter and that would muck up the Nets offense. They’d bring in Morris to spread that floor. We’d then put AD on KD to help close out the game. He was just too big and too fast for the Nets. This just felt like we’d have a big game and a W from him heading into this one. Yes, they were better sticking with their game plan, but you also can only take so much losing. There is no doubt the career-high offensive rebounding effort played into that. We need more of this guy every night. And we need more of the 25-FGA type games, as well. The Stats: He scored 37 points on 15-25 shooting (7-7 from the line) to go with 18 boards (10 offensive), 2 assists, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +15.

Walker IV -- -- Balling. He had 11 points in the first half, sinking a couple of threes and scoring an And-1 attacking off the three line and catching a big in the restricted area. But where he took it to the next level was late in the game running the two-man action with AD. He’d get downhill and miss, but AD had position for the putback. He’d hit the pull-up from midrange next time. He’d score a finger roll layup. Then he’d hit a runner off the two-man game. That stretch forced a couple of timeouts from the Nets in the fourth and had them on their heels. That three ball looked great from start to finish. He’s had some good games, but this was one of his best considering the role we had him playing when it was crunch time. The Stats: He scored 25 points on 9-15 shooting (4-5 from three, 3-3 from the line) to go with 1 board and 2 fouls in 30 minutes. He was a +20.

Reaves -- -- He led the team with a +15 in 17 minutes in the first half. He sank a couple of threes off kickouts from Russ and AD. He also hit a midrange pull-up. In the second half, just consistently good. He had a pass where he attacked hard down the lane to collapse the D, then at the last second looked to kick it to the corner, saw the defender was closing to cover the corner, so he wrapped the lefty kickout to where he knew the open shooter would be for a three. Just prior to this he also had an iso pull-up that looked like an old school bucket from the 60s. He just seems automatic on those pull-ups in the lane. In fact, tonight felt very much like a veteran-type of game from him. If the opponent made a mistake, he made them pay. Just a consistently strong performance. With that three ball dropping, that is really giving him a very well-rounded game offensively. Super efficient tonight. He needs to stay aggressive. “If I play basketball the right way, I can go home and sleep at night,” Reaves said. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 5-8 shooting (3-4 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 1 boards, 3 assists, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 33 minutes. He was a +20.

Brown -- -- The team-high +22. He’s a glue guy for this team. Need a three? He’s consistently hitting from beyond the arc. Sleep on him and he can go around you for a layup. He can make a tough finish. Need to beat the clock? He’ll get up a good shot. He doesn’t need the ball, but when he gets it he’s usually a positive. He had a nice drive, bumping his man and scoring a tricky layup around him. He hit a midrange jumper in the lane off a Russ inbounds with 1.7 seconds left. (Love seeing that they ran that BLOB for him with the clock low versus AD. Brown has that sneaky length and is perfect for that type of baseline inbounds where you need to throw something up quick. Again, he also had another cut off a Russ drive to take a pass and finish. Just well-timed and it makes like easier for Russ who is putting the pressure on the rim, but attracts a crowd. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-7 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals and no fouls in 36 minutes. He was a +22.

Beverley -- -- Defensively, he got the Durant assignment. He would front and ball deny as much as possible. We’d try to protect the backside on those. When KD had the ball facing up, Beverley would get in his jersey as much as possible to crowd him. He blocked KD from behind under the hoop on one defensive stand. Durant had 8 points on 3-6 shooting in the first half. Near the end of the half, he started getting post position a little more closer to the hoop, but didn’t really go after that more. This is one of those games where you’d see Bev’s value in a playoff series. When you have that defensive flexibility to give you another answer at a position or give you some heavy lifting, it’s just huge. During the regular season, just getting someone showing some fight night and night out should help keep you from being lethargic. Unfortunately, the Lakers just have too many issues at the moment to see the benefits of that. If you are looking at the box score, it might not seem like much impact, but he did a lot of heavy lifting tonight. Some excellent passing tonight. He took an inside-out and swung it to Walker for a three. He attacked and kicked to Walker for another three. He quick-fired an entry pass to AD under the hoop for a dunk. He also cut off an AD double for an And-1. Afterward, he gave credit to LeBron being a big voice in practice and getting on guys. “We just got to keep building good habits,” he said. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-5 shooting (0-4 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 5 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +8.

Westbrook -- -- One of his better plays of the night was swatting KD from behind on a baseline jumper. KD got him, as well, tonight on blocks. It was fun seeing the old teammates getting over on each other defensively. Not a great shooting first half (3-10 for 8 points), but he was moving the ball around at times finding teammates. There were possessions where no one touched it other than him (including a corner pull-up three). But his rim pressure was important. The assists piled up as a result. And when you can get shooters spacing for him, it makes life easier. When you have guys making timely cuts off his drives, it gives him more options to find teammates. We didn’t close with him. Defensively, there was a key point when Bev picked up his fourth and fifth fouls early in the fourth quarter. Russ took over on the KD defense and was feisty (forced KD into a travel at the elbow). It may not look like it, but this is a strong bench performance. You needed his energy to pick the team up and carry them through key stretches. The mistakes weren’t loud, and with Ham letting others close, the especially loud mistakes never happened. But Russ gave you an offensive engine that others could work off of. Best score of the night from him was getting a runway going left and hammering a massive dunk with his right. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 4-15 shooting (1-6 from three, 5-6 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 12 assists, 1 block, 4 turnovers and 3 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a -6.

Nunn -- -- Prior to garbage time, he was a -7 in his 7 minutes. This included giving up 7 points to Durant on two-straight threes at the end of the third quarter when the Nets made a run. Earlier, he got benched for Ryan to start the second quarter after an atrocious first. Add in his 3 garbage minutes and he was a -10 in 10 minutes. Yikes. At this point, I think you might get more consistently better minutes from Pippen. When Schröder returns, it will likely bury Nunn for a while until he can show something in practice. One good play he had was making a rare extra pass to Walker for a three instead of taking it himself. That was his assist. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-4 shooting (0-3 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 assists and 2 fouls in 10 minutes. He was a -10.

Christie -- -- Quiet night, but that’s not a bad thing with a rookie. Again, I love the rebounding. He had a weakside defensive board early in the game that pulled it away from a Net from behind. He is really filling out well in that frame and will be able to play a couple positions. They may even have had him at PF a little in one of the smaller lineups. In any event, the 9 boards is certainly an NBA skill he has. The three ball is looking better, as well. The D will be there. He’s progressing like they hoped. At some point down the line, you’ll want to see more aggression from him, but for now, just keep it simple. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting to go with 9 boards and no fouls in 20 minutes. He was a +3.

Ryan -- -- He’d swish a three in garbage time. Defensively in the first half, he fouled his man on his first defensive stand. Then get backdoored on the next defensive stand. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-3 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 1 board and 1 foul in 6 minutes. He was a +4. The Action: Fouls man on first defensive stand. Gets backdoored on second defensive stand. Miss top of key jumper on move.

Gabriel -- -- Kind of liked this one from him. It felt like he was usually making the right play. He had 7 points in 6 minutes and worked with Russ quite a bit. Russ found him on a slip screen for a dunk. He also got him rolling for another score and kicked to Gabriel for a corner three. He’d score another layup off the Russ drive and dish in the second half. Nice to see a little chemistry there. It sounds like Bryant will be coming back, so that will give us a couple of energy bigs that and more options on how/when to play them. Not sure what that means for Gabriel’s minutes. Guess it will depend on Bryant. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-7 shooting (1-1 from three) to go with 1 turnover and 1 foul in 14 minutes. He was a +0.

Toscano-Anderson -- -- Garbage time run to close the game. He threw a pitch back to a Nets player for a layup the other way. He’d get it back shortly later with a steal himself for a layup. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 2 minutes. He was a -3.
Ham -- -- Key Moment: “Me guarding KD,” Pat Bev said afterward. Reaves when asked the key: “You heard Pat Bev.” Yes, that was key. And maybe those minutes where Bev got into foul trouble and couldn’t play in the fourth were just as key. If I had to choose a moment, I do think the Lonnie/AD two-man stretch in the heart of the fourth helped bring it home for the Lakers.

Key Substitution: He used Russ well in the fourth. Just enough. The 10 minutes from Nunn, though, are killing me.

Key Stats: The Lakers shot 11-27 from three (40.7%) and 17-20 from the line (85%). The team had 12 offensive boards, AD with 10 of those.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Seems the rest you took paid off! <3
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject:

The playmaking by Russ is important without Lebron. I can live with the low shooting percentage and some TOs as long as he plays defense. It is awfully hard to score on Russ one on one, what he sucked on defense is rotation and leave shooters open. kawhi had a hard time and KD too. Both 6-7 inches taller than him.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I know this is internet weird but I’m extremely happy for DB lol, this one for u bro! PLAYOFF!
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject:

DB is back!
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: NETS -at- LAKERS - 11-13-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Gabriel -- -- Kind of liked this one from him. It felt like he was usually making the right play. He had 7 points in 6 minutes and worked with Russ quite a bit. Russ found him on a slip screen for a dunk. He also got him rolling for another score and kicked to Gabriel for a corner three. He’d score another layup off the Russ drive and dish in the second half. Nice to see a little chemistry there. It sounds like Bryant will be coming back, so that will give us a couple of energy bigs that and more options on how/when to play them. Not sure what that means for Gabriel’s minutes. Guess it will depend on Bryant. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-7 shooting (1-1 from three) to go with 1 turnover and 1 foul in 14 minutes. He was a +0.

Honestly, the Lakers can now focus more on playing big for more minutes than we have so far by having a front court of T. Bryant, AD and Lebron for a decent amount of minutes, and going with Gabriel strictly as a relief PF under T. Bryant or AD at center. That type of setup helped us win it all in 2020 (we still need a bigger back up SF, though).

Quote:
Key Substitution: He used Russ well in the fourth. Just enough. The 10 minutes from Nunn, though, are killing me.

This was my favorite strat of the night... limit Westbrook's Q4 minutes and do NOT let him on the court down the stretch. It also helped that Lebron wasn't there hogging the ball for most of the shot clock just to take a long contested jumper. This was the Lakers' best final period because Walker and other Lakers actually got to participate significantly on offense to close the game (and produced!).
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject:

“If I play basketball the right way, I can go home and sleep at night, Reaves said.”
Quote of the season! (maybe a career quote, in years to come)
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Great to see you back and doing a T&R on a game worth watching. I watched this late on replay - BIG time props to AD, Walker, Reaves, and I appreciated Beverly's effort on defense as well as Brown's willingness to do the little things off ball that easily go unnoticed. No folding this third quarter either.

Critical as I've been about the style of play this year, this game was fun. I loved the effort.

And just a dominant night for AD, wow.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB! Winning!!!!
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject:

A WIN!!!

That said, this was the first team not to scheme the ball out of AD's hands. Cranjis was is in disbelief at how stupidly Brooklyn played this game.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! This was New Orleans AD. Wow. Good game by Walker but I am concerned with his lack of assists and rebounds (back to back games of 30 + minutes with 1 rebound and 1 assist followed up with a 1 rebound and 0 assist game). Reeves and Brown are vital to this team as they can do so many good things.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject:

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I was underwhelmed. I thought we played at the same level as in the other games, except that we made a couple more threes than usual (and I really mean just a couple more). The key to the game was that the Nets didn't want to be there. I don't know what's going on in their locker room, but you could see it even before the opening tip. There came a point at which the competitive juices started flowing, and they started putting up a fight. But their hearts weren't in it.

We've all seen this sort of thing before. It's weird to see it this early in the season, for a team that wasn't playing a back-to-back and that had been playing pretty well. In particular, the Nets had been playing good defense lately. Last night, they were matadors.

So yeah, it's great to get a win, and some of our guys put up decent numbers. Any win is a big win these days. I wish I could say that we've turned a corner, but that wasn't the impression I got.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I was underwhelmed. I thought we played at the same level as in the other games, except that we made a couple more threes than usual (and I really mean just a couple more). The key to the game was that the Nets didn't want to be there. I don't know what's going on in their locker room, but you could see it even before the opening tip. There came a point at which the competitive juices started flowing, and they started putting up a fight. But their hearts weren't in it.

We've all seen this sort of thing before. It's weird to see it this early in the season, for a team that wasn't playing a back-to-back and that had been playing pretty well. In particular, the Nets had been playing good defense lately. Last night, they were matadors.

So yeah, it's great to get a win, and some of our guys put up decent numbers. Any win is a big win these days. I wish I could say that we've turned a corner, but that wasn't the impression I got.

The Net's don't have any interior presence so AD feasted in the paint as he well should have. The other players either didn't mess things up or played a bit better than their average this season: Walker, Reaves, Westbrook - that's pretty much it. Oh and the coaching staff did what every other coaching staff is doing if they're able to: attack the Nets' soft middle. The defense was solid, AD was his usual stellar self.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

Koalita wrote:
Thanks DB! Seems the rest you took paid off! <3

Had dinner on the beach with some friends. Totally forgot to check the score on Friday night, which may be a first whenever I'm missing a game, lol. Forgot to even record it. Good to disconnect and nice to have this long week, too, to recharge for a bit.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
A WIN!!!

That said, this was the first team not to scheme the ball out of AD's hands. Cranjis was is in disbelief at how stupidly Brooklyn played this game.

Yeah, we got middle a lot on that side PnR and then I think they started sending help after the second timeout? I can't quite remember, but it took a long time for them to adjust when the game was on the line.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I was thinking it was more of a Saturday night in L.A. hangover kind of thing with them when watching. But I do think we had some better focus/maybe health from AD taking advantage on the offensive glass (we've had small teams he could have tried to do that to and it never materialized).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

^^^^

The Davis mismatch was striking. In the case of small teams earlier in the season, they compensated with effort. I didn't see much effort by the Nets (at least by professional basketball standards). There were times when no one even tried to box him out. I guess I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth. We could use a whole herd of games like this.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Good to get a win. But, I still need to see consistency from game to game in order to get excited. And not the kind of consistency Nunn has shown. AD needs to be in Beast Mode every game. Not sure he can stay healthy enough. We were fortunate to play an injury plagued Nets team who mailed it in. However, I'll still root for my Lakers!
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB!
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the Thoughts and : -)) DB...missed the game and was pleasantly surprised with the result. Your write ups are greatly appreciated. There are times when I watch a game critically while focusing on my own analysis and yet still get more revelations from your input.

I want to believe the win was more related to the Lakers play vs the inability of the Nets coaching staff to learn from the best practices of previous teams to defend and defeat the Lakers by double and triple teaming AD, sometimes with ball denial double teams before he even touches the ball.

Regardless...glad for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
A WIN!!!

Not only did they take the day off but it seemed like they were actively trying to lose. It doesn’t make sense why they would throw a game but it’s hard to explain it any other way.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject:

A Most Enjoyable WIN!
Good stuff, Thanks DB

NEXT GAME: #14
    Los Angeles Lakers vs Detroit Pistons
    Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA | Friday, Nov. 18, 2022 • 7:30 PM PT
Len
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

The AD/Walker Pick-and-roll reminded me of AD's time with Jrue Holiday at NOP. Jrue always made the mid-range pull-up, floater or lob pass to give AD room for the putback.

I hope this development is from someone watching tape and not something they just stumbled across.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I was thinking it was more of a Saturday night in L.A. hangover kind of thing with them when watching. But I do think we had some better focus/maybe health from AD taking advantage on the offensive glass (we've had small teams he could have tried to do that to and it never materialized).
As Stu Lantz has said many times, "Once we have seen excellent once, expectation is to see it consistently."

As Pau needed the Black Mamba to perform at a high level, AD needs LBJ to be on him to produce at a high level. Hopefully AD will learn his lessons if his desire is to be "The Face" of the Lakers - only time and victories will tell
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: