As LeBron James and Anthony Davis Struggle, Does a Trade Still Make Sense for Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: As LeBron James and Anthony Davis Struggle, Does a Trade Still Make Sense for Lakers?

Hey All,

From Sunday night @BleacherReport As LeBron James and Anthony Davis Struggle, Does a Trade Still Make Sense for Lakers? https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10054872-as-lebron-james-and-anthony-davis-struggle-does-a-trade-still-make-sense-for-lakers

Cheers,

EP
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Stay put imo, see what you can get for Beverley and/or Nunn

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
AtlLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Blow up the team.Many don’t want the pelicans to get Wemby, but we aren’t going anywhere as currently constructed.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Bev/Nunn/FRP/2ndRP for Turner
Westbrook/FRP/2ndRP for Rozier/Hayward

The moves above may not cost what I presented, could keep 2ndRps or even the FRP to Charlotte since younger cheaper players are emerging as options for them. Typically, teams in their situation give up a FRP to get out of the contracts they are in when their roster progresses as it has. Since I'm not an NBA GM and Pelinka is, then perhaps he could conceive deals even better than the example above.

The point...a plan to orchestrate a period of losing, blowing up the team...as a plan, the plan A...is a deliberate choice. There are other options. The Lakers aren't in a no-win situation where there aren't options available to try to compete. If they continue to lose with this roster or blow it up, it will be because it is what they chose to do not because they were in such a bad situation that there wasn't a realistic alternative.

The roster below competes for a championship. The Lakers constructed a team without shooters, mini tpMLEs, and vet minimum players and then some fans put the blame on AD/LBJ? They both could be playing better but take an honest realistic open-minded look at their numbers. They are having a decent season so far, could be better but based on the roster construction they are doing what they are supposed to do. AD got 77 touches in the first half of the last two games and 44 in the second. They went away from him is one reason his numbers were lower. LBJ is among the leaders in points/rebounds/assists (top 20)...with 9 vet minimum players on the team.

Turner/Bryant/Jones
AD/Gabriel/JTA
LBJ/TBjr/Ryan
Hayward/Walker/Christie
Rozier/Schroeder/Reeves

It the Lakers choose to lose, it will be the losses they chose...among other options. And if fans support that, are ok with that...then imo the fans onboard with that action is part of the problem.

Avoid repeater tax, keep FRPs, tired of Klutch, make move too early vs too late...what ever the justification to accept losing as a plan A it is just that...a justification. The Lakers could try to compete for a championship if that is what they wanted to do.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject:

In this is a Lakers theoretical

Latest @BleacherReport Is It Time for the Brooklyn Nets to Blow It Up? - Coaching hire will be a tell. If the team continues to struggle, do they get to the Feb trade deadline without another KD trade demand?
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10055009-is-it-time-for-the-brooklyn-nets-to-blow-it-up
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:

beverly made a shot the other day, the sky's the limit when he returns!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject:

Trading future picks to win 40 games is a bad idea.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

It’s not a trade to get 40 wins…it’s a plan to compete for a championship…maybe the plan fails maybe the plan succedes. IMO you and others take the false stance that it will definitely fail as if it is a forgone conclusion because the alternative is acceptable to you…losing.

On paper it’s easy to see the possibility of a plan trading the FRPs working, but by taking a defeatist attitude assuming it is a real fact that it won’t work you want to do nothing because you and others have become ok with just losing.

It’s part of the problem…the GM that created this mess wouldn’t have gotten an extension if the fam base collectively demanded a competitive team. The 4 straight lottery picks damaged the fan base mentality to accept losing as an alternative.

It’s as if a major part of the fan base has said “A plan to win surly won’t work so let’s just keep losing.”
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

beverly made a shot the other day, the sky's the limit when he returns!

Take him off the market!!!

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't say that AD is struggling. He's had his best season since the championship. Lebron is definitely struggling.

This team needed a trade before the season. It's playing out predictably. Brutal opening schedule. Lack of shooting. Lack of roster balance. Lack of a quality center. The only real surprise is that Russ has played above expectations, while some other players haven't. I wouldn't group AD into that though, he's been the best Laker.

The whole let's wait 20 games approach though, you almost knew that it was going to bury him. And that just gives Jeanie an excuse to not take on more salary or make any major moves. Which is exactly what a lot of us were crying about in the preseason. You either go all in with these guys, or you blow it up. Now it's too late to go all in. And instead of blowing it up, they will most likely run out the clock on another abysmal season.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject:

When the Lakers gave LeBron that extension, they should've gone all-in on winning a championship. I'd say they should've traded for Kyrie if he was available for a reasonable price (yes, 2 FRPs would've been reasonable for a player as great as him), but after his anti-Semitic tweet and refusal to say he's not anti-Semitic, I'm not sure if it would've been worth it.

If they're not going to go all-in for whatever reason, whether it's because they're cheap, because they have cash flow problems or because they're obsessed with getting another "big name" in free agency next summer, they should just trade LeBron and AD and start over. But you know they won't do that.

It's so unfortunate that pro sports are a business as much as they're about winning world championships. I wish team sports were mostly about winning and less about the almighty dollar.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm sorry brother, crow taste like chicken...I was delusional thinking we would or could win anything this year. You and many others saw this a long time ago. I don't know if it was my ignorance or just blind fanaticism but I was wrong….and you were right.

This team won't win…and there doesn’t look like there is anything that can be done to change that.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
When the Lakers gave LeBron that extension, they should've gone all-in on winning a championship. I'd say they should've traded for Kyrie if he was available for a reasonable price (yes, 2 FRPs would've been reasonable for a player as great as him), but after his anti-Semitic tweet and refusal to say he's not anti-Semitic, I'm not sure if it would've been worth it.

If they're not going to go all-in for whatever reason, whether it's because they're cheap, because they have cash flow problems or because they're obsessed with getting another "big name" in free agency next summer, they should just trade LeBron and AD and start over. But you know they won't do that.

It's so unfortunate that pro sports are a business as much as they're about winning world championships. I wish team sports were mostly about winning and less about the almighty dollar.
Good Points

Jeanie did go “All In” when they acquired Westbrook, upon the ***Strong Suggestion” by LBJ w/AD. From LBJ to KD to Kwahi in today’s NBA, superstar empowerment as decision makers/GMs to HCs is dreadful though hard to resist

Jeanie is definitely not cheap, but they are not mega rich where having a NBA team is another fancy toy to play with while fulfilling their childhood fantasies (perks of being super rich). From Balmer to Cuban and others noted at https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/gallery/the-richest-nba-team-owners - ability to pay millions in fees doesn’t guarantee rings

Could Rob have done better, every GM would say yes. From the Dubs to Nets, having successful GMs to superior talent (see Dodgers for another example in a different sport) doesn’t guarantee a ring or going deep into the playoffs

Why would any team want Kyrie with all his baggage and limited availability on the court plus the questions every member of the team will have to answer every day

Buddy Hield is a **better sharpshooter** but a terrible defender. Myles Turner is a quality big with an outside shot but one has to be contractually committed to him beyond this season where there are many choices far better and bring greater value to the monies committed

If one trades LBJ and/or AD, will Laker fans have the patience to endure The Process - No, as we have seen in the past with DLo to Julius to Nance to Kuzma to Zubac to others
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Cheap or not, financially challenged or not...the FO has failed to meet even the barest minimal expectations and have let down their fans.

Whatever level of success any fan expects it would be somewhere higher than second worst team in the league. Everyone is disappointed and expects more...even if it's not a championship roster this year, the team could at least not be a joke while still maintaining flexibility for the future.

The ineptitude is starting to get to the point where fans will consider pulling back with their support as it seems the fans want to win more than the FO. No fan wants to endure the disappointment of their team looking embarrassing when the owners seem ok with letting it stay that way.

Every day is a fight...against my logically reasonably self vs my Laker fanaticism to continue to hope against hope or just say faulk Jeanie and Rob...go relax on your yachts, if you won't improve the team the I'm not supporting this bullsh!t. You gave your boy a questionable extension so he is still gonna get paid and as owner you are still getting paid too so faulk yall.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject:

Take
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

Anyone notice that Hield and Turner combined for 41 points and 18 rebounds in their WIN last night?

Anyone notice the Pacers have WON three times more games than the Lakers?

I could care less about the 2 first round picks, I want to win NOW......

DO IT ROB...!
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Yes, THEIR trade makes the most sense.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Anyone notice that Hield and Turner combined for 41 points and 18 rebounds in their WIN last night?

Anyone notice the Pacers have WON three times more games than the Lakers?

I could care less about the 2 first round picks, I want to win NOW......

DO IT ROB...!

You would think that whatever the Pacers are doing with Turner and Heild to win the Lakers would be able to do better if those two were playing with LBJ and AD.

Those that are saying that there is nothing we can do to win could possibly be right, we don't know for sure...but it looks like there is absolutely something that can be done to win now.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I Agree. And I think ultimately this team lives or dies with Lebron. And as we see him get beat by Father Time, is it still worth it to throw away future picks just to get him help? The days of Lebron affecting and having an impact are gone. Yes he still gets numbers. But does it affect the game outcome anymore? Does it still guarantee a W when you have him on your team?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject:

FYI:

Latest @BleacherReport
Sources: Lakers Not Only L.A. Team Mulling Myles Turner Trade
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10055719-sources-lakers-not-only-la-team-mulling-myles-turner-trade
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
FYI:

Latest @BleacherReport
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10055719-sources-lakers-not-only-la-team-mulling-myles-turner-trade

Thanks for sharing the info Emplay, appreciate it.

Interesting...I really wasn't excited with the Harrell acquisition other than the fact that it devalued the Clippers...now is their chance for payback.

"An acquiring team would have his full rights and the ability to pay Turner up to a maximum salary in July"

I like that quote since the Lakers could decide to sign Turner (not anywhere near max) or not based on the audition season. If he looks worth it then re-sign him, if he doesn't then it cost a FRP to take a look. Based on his age and play it looks as if Turner could not only help the Lakers win this season but to also be a piece to build for the future post LBJ with AD. For that reason, I would take the risk for Turner with the intention of keeping him so as to not waste the FRP but the flexibility of moving on if he falls flat is not a bad thing.

I'm in favor of a Bev/Nunn/FRP for Turner in a heartbeat...even if we keep WB the Indy deal seems like a great idea imo..
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Clippers can beat that offer re: Bev/Nunn/FRP - FWIW
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I get what you are saying re the Clippers:

"the team has plenty of second-rounders available (except for 2027) and prospects like Brandon Boston Jr., Jason Preston and Moussa Diabate."

also from your article:

"one of Norman Powell, Luke Kennard, Reggie Jackson, Morris or Covington would need to go to Indiana."

Yea...I get that the Lakers may be screwed this year no matter what...still...I want to go out fighting instead of giving up...could all be useless I know, hoping against the inevitable. The future does look bleak.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
FYI:

Latest @BleacherReport
I would imagine there are many teams "mulling" over Myles Turner with no actual and reported interests

Maybe most teams are waiting to see if there is actually a need and the price is right
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2022/11/15/23461135/lakers-trade-russell-westbrook-anonymous-western-conference-exec
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: