Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

So Alcantara won the NL Cy Young Award, which wasn't surprising at all. It's not even a huge surprise to me that he won it unanimously. What is definitely surprising, however, is that Urias finished in third place.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Tyler Anderson Free Agency Rumors: Dodgers Were Unwilling To Give 3rd Year

“according to Juan Toribio of MLB.com, they were unwilling to give Anderson a third year in any contract”

https://dodgerblue.com/tyler-anderson-free-agency-rumors-dodgers-unwilling-third-year/2022/11/16/amp/

Quote:
Juan Toribio
@juanctoribio

Tyler Anderson is staying in Southern California. But he'll be playing for the Angels now.

#Dodgers had offered the one-year, $19.65 million qualifying offer. They weren't going to offer a multi-year deal.

———————-

@juanctoribio
correction here: #Dodgers weren't going to get to the three-year range.

It doesn’t say in the article how much the 2 yr deal was. I’m guessing 2 yrs $30M?

Sounds about right. I can't see why he'd take the Angels deal if the Dodgers deal was for 2 years and more than $30M...unless he really feels he can't recoup another $5-$10M in that third year. With the QO being ~$20M, the Dodgers offering anything less than 2/$30M would have been disingenuous in their efforts to keep him.

Or maybe the Dodgers offered more than 2/$30M, but the second year was a team option with only a partial guarantee? Either way, Angels offered him more guaranteed money which is something you can't fault him for taking, nor the Dodgers not offering.

Yup I think he’s just had enough and is happy to get the 3 years locked in. Not mad - would probably do the same. All the best to Tyler, he was awesome but I’d be shocked if he’s able to do it again with the Angels.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Justin Verlander Looking For Max Scherzer-Like Contract

Justin Verlander, who won his third Cy Young on Wednesday night, appears to be pushing for a blockbuster contract similar to the one Max Scherzer signed last winter.

Scherzer landed a two-year deal (with an option) worth more than $40 million annually with the New York Mets.

Jim Crane told MLB.com as much earlier this week, noting that he intends to remain in the "middle" until Verlander makes his decision.

Quote:
"I know him well, so we've been pretty candid," Crane said. "He's looking at the comp, which I think there's only one or two. … J.V.'s probably got a few years left, and he wants to make the most of it. I think he's going to test the market on that."

Quote:
Astros owner Jim Crane — who has taken a very hands-on role in the Houston front office and played a key role in bringing Verlander back last winter — told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that Verlander has looked to last winter’s biggest free agent pitching contract as precedent. His former teammate Max Scherzer inked a three-year, $130MM guarantee with the Mets — a deal that also allowed him to opt out after the 2023 season.

The Scherzer deal indeed seems the closest comparison to Verlander, although their situations aren’t perfectly analogous. While both are all-time great pitchers still pitching near the top of their games deeper into their careers, a three-year bet on Scherzer was probably easier for a team to stomach than that same term for Verlander. Scherzer signed in advance of his age-37 season, while the latter will be three years older at the start of his next contract. Verlander’s two years removed from a Tommy John procedure that cost him almost all of the 2020-21 campaigns, but he’s bounced back to pitch at pre-surgery levels this year. Scherzer had avoided any injury of that magnitude in the past decade, topping 170 innings in every full season since 2008 before this year.

To no one’s surprise, Crane suggested the Astros hope to bring Verlander back. However, there appears to be a notable gap between the two sides on contract terms right now. While Crane didn’t specify the lengths the Astros are willing to go to retain the nine-time All-Star, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports Crane has thus far been reluctant to go past a two-year guarantee in the $60MM – $70MM range. That’s certainly not to say the Houston owner couldn’t later raise the offer, but Rome characterizes that as a rough line the team has set at present and suggests the Astros are very unlikely to offer a third guaranteed year.

Whether another team would be willing to go three years is one of the most interesting storylines of the offseason, and MLBTR forecasts Verlander for a three-year, $120MM guarantee.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/crane-justin-verlander-seeking-deal-similar-to-max-scherzers.html

probably out of our price range.

Also the MLBPA might have issues with Crane's comments. He's not really allowed to comment on what a player is looking for.

Quote:
MLB investigating Yankees and Mets over possible improper communication regarding Aaron Judge, per report

The MLBPA requested the investigation following a report about Judge's free agency

At the request of the MLB Players Association, Major League Baseball is investigating whether owners of the New York Yankees and New York Mets had improper communications regarding free agent Aaron Judge, reports The Athletic. MLB is expected to request text, phone, and email records between Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner and Mets owner Steve Cohen.

The MLBPA's request stems from a Nov. 3 SNY article which cited Mets sources and stated Steinbrenner and Cohen "enjoy a mutually respectful relationship, and do not expect to upend that with a high-profile bidding war." The union is always on alert for anything that could possibly constitute collusion between clubs to drive down player salaries.

Quote:
The Athletic also notes a separate comment by Houston Astros owner Jim Crane regarding free agent Justin Verlander could also draw scrutiny from the MLBPA. Crane recently said Verlander is seeking a Max Scherzer contract, meaning a high-salaried three-year deal. The collective bargaining agreement strictly prohibits clubs from publicly discussing contract negotiations.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-investigating-yankees-and-mets-over-possible-improper-communication-regarding-aaron-judge-per-report/
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

Here's a prospect that I think we should be interested in: Jake Mangum from the Mets.

The Mets left him unprotected for the Rule 5 draft. From what I've read, he's major league ready, a very good defensive centerfielder, no power, but good slap hitter. Sounds like Brett Butler. He's 25 or 26 already and expected to be taken by some team in the Rule 5 draft.

I think we drafted last, so he'll probably be gone by then, but we can make some sort of deal with the team that drafts him. Anyways, if we're going to let Bellinger go, might as well get someone ready to play just in case. Here's his profile:

Quote:
Morning Briefing: Mets Leave Mangum Exposed For Rule 5 Draft

The Mets left one of their top defensive prospects exposed to the Rule 5 Draft on Tuesday, as they did not make any 40-man roster adds prior to the deadline.

The team chose not to protect outfielder Jake Mangum, who is eligible for the Rule 5 Draft for the first time. Mangum, the club’s fourth-round selection in the 2019 MLB Draft, was limited to 72 games this season due to a stress reaction in his spine. He is considered old for a prospect at 26 years old and does not rank among MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 Mets prospects. But he is widely considered one of the organization’s best defensive players at any position, which could entice rival teams.

Should he go unclaimed in the Rule 5 Draft, Mangum would have a strong chance to make New York’s Opening Day roster as a reserve outfielder. But another team could take a chance on Mangum, a dynamic center fielder who holds MSU’s career hits record.

Look at this catch:

Quote:
Farm To Fame
@FarmToFame_

“He just made a catch like Willie Mays!”

Mets prospect Jake Mangum makes an impressive over the shoulder catch in AAA!

https://twitter.com/FarmToFame_/status/1569054045071081472

Quote:
If the Mets left him unprotected, the sense after surveying officials and scouts from around the league is that another team would probably claim him. Don’t let the fact that Mangum isn’t listed anywhere as one of the Mets’ top prospects fool you.

Many evaluators believe that he’s a future major-league player. Center field is Mangum’s best position and his experience enhances his initial jumps and routes to balls. But coaches say he made some good adjustments in 2022 by getting acclimated to the corners with different angles off the bat. He reads swings and stays active on defense.

Overall, he played well at all three and was best in this order: center field, right field, and left field. Offensively, while he is considered to have a better overall approach from the left side, the splits are comparable and competitive from both sides; he had a .786 OPS as a left-handed batter in 2022 and an .852 OPS as a right-hander, but his swing path is cleaner with more impact from the left side. Said Syracuse manager Kevin Boles, “Love how he competes. Comes ready to play every day.”

https://theathletic.com/3759860/2022/11/03/mets-jake-mangum-rule-5/?redirected=1

Yeah, if we're going to let Bellinger go for nothing, we're going to need some outfield depth. This kid looks ready to play CF in the majors. I don't know what his bat will look like, but it might be a cheap pickup for us.

Right now, we have zero outfield depth. We have Mookie, Trayce Thompson, Outman, Vargas and Taylor?

That's pretty bad depth.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I don't see us getting Verlander if he's going to require 3 years. I don't see us getting Rodon if he's going to require 5 years. I'd put my chips in the Senga basket, and it will save money, too.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I don't see us getting Verlander if he's going to require 3 years. I don't see us getting Rodon if he's going to require 5 years. I'd put my chips in the Senga basket, and it will save money, too.

Yeah I’m not overpaying for a 40 year old guy that could lose his arm any moment - not to mention is absolutely trash in the World Series. As good as JV was this year he was the most overrated part of the Astros team. If that’s even possible being a CY young winner.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah I’m not overpaying for a 40 year old guy that could lose his arm any moment - not to mention is absolutely trash in the World Series. As good as JV was this year he was the most overrated part of the Astros team. If that’s even possible being a CY young winner.

That’s the thing with free agency. There are no bargains.

The only bargains are those players who are either injured or haven’t performed yet.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Some comments from Justin Turner, and it sounds like management definitely has luxury tax implications on their minds.

"I'm in good standing with the Dodgers. Again, it's a business. They have some decisions to make on what they want to do."

Justin Turner tells Petros And Money he’s had conversations with the Dodgers:

“There’s all this crap about the luxury tax and payroll and paying a gajillion dollars in taxes…”

“They’re trying to figure out what they need to do…Once those chips fall, we’ll see where I stand.”
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
So Alcantara won the NL Cy Young Award, which wasn't surprising at all. It's not even a huge surprise to me that he won it unanimously. What is definitely surprising, however, is that Urias finished in third place.

Yeah can't believe Fried got second over Urias. Julio got robbed.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Some comments from Justin Turner, and it sounds like management definitely has luxury tax implications on their minds.

"I'm in good standing with the Dodgers. Again, it's a business. They have some decisions to make on what they want to do."

“There’s all this crap about the luxury tax and payroll and paying a gajillion dollars in taxes…”

“They’re trying to figure out what they need to do…Once those chips fall, we’ll see where I stand.”

Wow

Straight from the horses’ mouth!

This definitely should mean a non-tender for Bellinger.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow

Final nail in the coffin for Belli. I have waited long for this moment.

Sounds like JT will be back at around 7-8mill. He can win another World Series and then get one final contract from someone next year. Hope he stays as long as it’s cheap of course.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow

Final nail in the coffin for Belli. I have waited long for this moment.

Sounds like JT will be back at around 7-8mill. He can win another World Series and then get one final contract from someone next year. Hope he stays as long as it’s cheap of course.

Well it will be whatever plus his 2 million buyout. So he's not gonna be living on Cup O Noodles.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jon Morosi
@jonmorosi

While I'm told the #Dodgers have not made a final decision on Cody Bellinger's future, the chances are better than 50/50 that he will be removed from the roster via trade or non-tender by 8 pm ET today.

Quote:
As the Dodgers mull their decision on Bellinger, the Chicago Cubs and Toronto Blue Jays have been mentioned as teams who were monitoring the situation.

Although that was interpreted as likely having interest if the former National League MVP became a free agent, the Cubs or Blue Jays conceivably could emerge as a partner for a Bellinger trade.

By 5pm today we'll know Bellinger's fate.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers Rumors: LA May Be Exploring Trade Options for Cody Bellinger

by Jeff Snider

The Dodgers have until 5pm Pacific today to make a decision on whether to tender a contract to outfielder Cody Bellinger. If they choose to tender him, he would be eligible for arbitration and likely make $17-18 million in 2023, which is a lot of money for a guy who has been very bad offensively over the past two seasons. They could non-tender him and let him walk, or they could non-tender him and try to bring him back on a lower-dollar contract.

Or, as Jon Morosi points out, they could do one other thing. A trade, you say? Tell me more, Jon.

Nah, there’s no more than that. Just the idea that they could trade him. What would that look like? Well, it would almost certainly include one or both of the following two things: Los Angeles including cash in the deal to offset Belli’s salary, or additional players going along with Bellinger.

Both of those ideas kind of underscore why a trade doesn’t make much sense. Right now, at $18 million, Bellinger has negative value in a trade. The Dodgers have a simple solution if they want him off the roster: non-tender him. You throw in bonuses and sweeteners to offload a bad guaranteed contract, not to get rid of a guy you could just dump and pay nothing.

So sure, if someone wants to talk trade, the Dodgers would surely listen. Maybe a team doesn’t think Belli would choose to sign with them but they think they have the answer to his struggles, so they’re willing to pay his full arbitration salary and give up something of value in return? I’d say “stranger things have happened,” but I can’t think of any.

https://dodgersnation.com/dodgers-rumors-la-may-be-exploring-trade-options-for-cody-bellinger/2022/11/18/
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Yikes Dodgers starting to go cheap... looks like it'll be a few years of non competitive baseball???
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Yikes Dodgers starting to go cheap... looks like it'll be a few years of non competitive baseball???

I’d say only this yr to reset the tax then we’ll be back to spending next yearfor Ohtani.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Bellinger to be non-tendered, per Rosenthal.

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
·
3m
The Dodgers plan to non-tender outfielder Cody Bellinger, making him a free agent, source tells
@TheAthletic
. Team could still re-sign him for less than his projected arbitration salary in the $18M range.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

Guggenheim has been anything but cheap since taking control of the team. The whole reason there's even discussion about cutting payroll now is because they've been spending so much for so long that the team is going to face very punitive luxury taxes if they don't cut payroll.

If you want to talk about being cheap, maybe you've forgotten the McCourt years. He cut payroll year after year because he was siphoning all the money to fund his and his (ex-)wife's lifestyle.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject:

I could see this happening, honestly. Friedman connections. Kiermaier has a 97 OPS+ over the past 3 seasons (league average is 100), with Bellinger at a 74 OPS+ mark. Kiermaier has taken 340 fewer AB during that time, which is worth noting, as he is a frequent visitor to the IL.

Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
·
5m
The #Dodgers have expressed interest in free agent center fielder Kevin Kiermaier with Cody Bellinger likely to be non-tendered. The #Dodgers have yet to finalize a decision.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Guggenheim has been anything but cheap since taking control of the team. The whole reason there's even discussion about cutting payroll now is because they've been spending so much for so long that the team is going to face very punitive luxury taxes if they don't cut payroll.

If you want to talk about being cheap, maybe you've forgotten the McCourt years. He cut payroll year after year because he was siphoning all the money to fund his and his (ex-)wife's lifestyle.

The ownership isn’t cheap but the front office is, even though it’s NOT EVEN THEIR MONEY. Friedman is running Money Ball with deep pocket ownership behind him, go figure.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I saw JP Morosi allude to the Dodgers possibly looking at Judge in the wake of Bellinger's non-tendering, and Heyman seems to corroborate that this could be in play. I note Heyman's tweet more because he's NY-based.

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
16m
Word going around now is Dodgers will make a run at Aaron Judge. Logical with $100M now off the books with Bellinger, Kimbrel, Anderson, Heaney, Price and 2 Turners off the roster. Needs include SS, 3B, SPs, RP and now OF.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject:

looks like the roster will be full of top prospects...running along some old guns
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
looks like the roster will be full of top prospects...running along some old guns

It's actually possible to make one huge splashy free-agent signing, whether that's Verlander, Judge, Trea, or whomever, and still stay under the $233MM threshold. This is assuming that Bauer's money stays off our books. There's supposed to be some clarity on that before the end of the year. If we had to carry Bauer's money, then it changes everything. So I'm guessing the Dodgers won't make a major move until there's clarity on that...unless they have no interest in staying below $233MM.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Remember that time when we had to save our money to re-sign Bellinger, Buehler, Seager and Urias?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I know Cody fell off a cliff offensively but I admired his overall effort and play as a Dodger. I hope somehow we still find a way to have him around but I would guess it is unlikely now that he is a free agent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 418 of 434
Jump to: